Tactics guide

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tactics guide

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:16 pm

Not mine, but maybe an interesting read?
I haven't looked at it yet, but it might be worth a look:
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184576

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tactics guide

Post  squalie on Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:47 pm

214 pages. Let me get back to you on this.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:45 pm

Since I don't have a cover to judge this eBook by, I'll have to make my judgement based on nothing. Here it is.....

Any tactic books are usually junk. I'd like to hope this guy's is better but I think if people want to use a book as inspiration for playing, great, but if you're looking to use one man's experiences as a source to form your own then I wouldn't hold much hope for your own warhammer career.

The net has pissed me off on several occasions, and eWarhammer is no exception. The amount of copycat armies and stuff out there gets under my craw sometimes, but that's because I am old and cranky and only getting more so.

I've yet to read a tactics manual for anything game related that I'd put much stock in. The biggest joke was a tactics manual for a game called Star Fleet Battles. The game was a licensed Star Trek space combat game and the tactics manual was great.... if your opponent only flew in a straight line and forgot to shoot at you.

For better theory in wargaming I would cut out the middle man and read books based on real military strategy and tactics. "On War" by Von Clausewitz is a good strategy type book describing in broader terms the reasons for fighting a battle or a war. Some good reasoning can be extrapolated there about using the 6 turn limit of warhammer to the fullest. 'Course it won't help you deal with a chaos lord on a dragon, but it's got good theory.

Books telling of the accounting of some of the famous battles from history from ancient times to the middle ages are not only historical, but think of the points you'll win when you describe how your tactics worked so well against the Romans, they surely can't fail against a moron like your opponent!

Is this download free? 'Cause it might be okay to check out then. Says me of course.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:55 pm

It is a free download and I had a look. It is very extensive and quite well-written. He tries to leave his personal opinions out for the most part which is good. He has some interesting tips and tricks. I think the guide is best used by beginners but it does have some interesting ideas for vetran players as well. Unfortunately it also includes some unfortunate rule interpretations (such as archers shooting in 3 ranks if they have their front rank at the bottom of a hill and their back 2 ranks on a hill). Most interesting to me were the "trap" tactics where he went way beyond "flee from a charge so you can get the flank charge with another unit" and actually had some pretty interesting ideas.

I recommend a quick skim at least. 7/10 which would be an 8-8.5 with better diagrams.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:17 pm

Ya it's just a PDF file. Most of it is obvious, but there's a few things that I thought were mathamatically interesting. If you have to take a leadership test roll a handfull of dice, then reroll 2 dice that come up as 6's as the chance of them coming up as 6 again has just lessened. Hmmm

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheWade on Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:27 pm

Sorry, but that last quote just lost me...

If I roll a handful of dice, take out sixes, because there is less of a chance they'll roll six again?

He realizes that's bunk right? I've lost enough money playing roulette to know he's full of it.

TheWade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:56 pm

That's why I said "Hmmm", as I wasn't quite sure if that was true or not.

You've played russian roulette!?!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:11 pm

He is indeed full of crap on that one. He is saying that the chance to roll any number on a dice is 1/6 but the chance that you will roll two ones in a row is significantly less. So, theoretically if you pick up a dice that has just rolled a 6 you have a worse chance of rolling another 6. Unfortunately real life says that after that dice has been rolled once the probability that you are going to roll a 6 is once again 1/6 (just as it always is). Hopefully it was just his way of being funny.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:22 pm

That's pretty stupid.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:41 am

Sponsored content