Scott vs. the Gayness of elves!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Scott vs. the Gayness of elves!

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:09 pm

I had to paint this dude up for a challenge over on CMON. I din't think this onewill cut it though. Elves eat balls man.

Last edited by ScottRadom on Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Scott vs. the Gayness of elves!

Post  Carson on Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:27 pm

Love the gold work and color of the coldone but not a fan of the supporting colors. The Red seems too warm for me on this fig when mixed with the blue of the coldone.

And just in case you forgot ONLY High elves are gay!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:00 pm

Ditto on the Gold. How did you do it?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:33 pm

Thanks guys. But let me say that the metal is NOT done to a very high calibre standard. The heavy duty painters from some of the sites would astill say it's poorly done, and seeing how some of them do it, I would agree. This model is a learning model and I hope to keep imroving, so thanks for the encouragement. Now having said that here's a link to a guy who really DOES know his metal work....

http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/744

I have been trying for MONTHS to improve my metals and this Dark Elf is a stepping stone, like I said. It's tought to maintain speed when trying this stuff, for sure.

Anyway I used a bastardized version of this method. The chief complaint I get is the metal still looks "CHunky" form using thick paint. Bang, they're right! I diluted the base coat only about a small amount, maybe 3:2 paint to water and the rest of the layers blended in at about 1:1. To blend metal effectively it shoudl probably be closer to 4:1 water to paint I'm told. Which'll be great when the kids are gone and me and the wife spend middle age ignoring each other in the house until death catches us but till then I am trying to squeeze the metal work into 2-3 hrs instead of the 12-15 doing it properly would take. Here's my tech though. All colors except the Tin Bitz are Vallejo Model color.

Tin Bitz
Bronze (Kind of a green tinge to it)
Brass
Old Gold (Bright gold color, the brightest from that range)

Devlan mud wash applied at full strength, but with little on the brush so it goes on like paint. I do this in the shadows and it takes about 8 passes to get where the finished model is. I just keep rotating the model and the wash is dryed by the time I work back to where I started. About 30 minutes work here alone.

Old Gold/Mithril Silver
Mithril silver.

Just keep trying to apply a little less with each layer. The final Mithril SIlver is obv. just done on the extreme edges.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:55 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top