Hot eBay action!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hot eBay action!

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:07 pm

Hey guys, I'm tinkering with the idea of selling stuff on ebay. I'm trying out a couple listings so have a look if you like, or you regular eBay buyers and sellers feel free to giv eme some tips! Here's the links....

Here's my Morphus hand of Gnull model...
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270345266234

And five plaguebearers.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=270344780090

I'm gonna sell off all my Nurgle stuff I think. Just couldn't get into it with the new rules. I can focus on new stuff then!

Wish me luck!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hot eBay action!

Post  squalie on Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:27 pm

Oooooooooookay. You're getting rid of that fabulous (I never use that word) Nurgle army?! What a shame.... If nothing else, keep it for 8th edition.

Ok, let's get into this. I have been toying around with selling some stuff on ebay and this is the type of thread that got me started on this site in the first place.

Scott, what do you hope to get for the Plaguebearers? Meaning what do you think they're worth, compared to what you think you'll actually get? Is it better to sell them in units of 10?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:15 pm

As dfar as I can tell it's much better to sell in units of ten. I posted on coolimini and the response was to sell at least in the min unit size for the game. If you're selling to gamers then make sure they can play.

How much do I thinh they're worth? 50 bucks. That's 5 bucks a fig to purchase (24.99 for 5 I think) and then another 5 each to paint. What will I get? If they sell I would guess less then the 25$ to buy new. That's fine. I'm trying to get some positive feedback before perhaps selling bigger items (Great Unclean One) and PERHAPS some commision work. I'm kind of on the fence to see if this is a road I want to go down ever, but since you seem to HAVE to have a history I would rather do the leg work now so I have the option in 6 months or more down the road. In short I would rather do this now then wish I had later.

I am not convinced there is any money to be had in selling prepainted stuff. At all. I look at even the big guns who sell a fig for 150$ but I think, they've got one weeks worth of work in there! What I am hopeful for is that I can perhaps get to know enough people that perhaps every once in a while I can paint a single fig or a small unit for a little cash. Mostly I am just curious, but I do have a goal that I want to make some money (even a dollar!) selling my skills on the open market. That way i can say "Pro Painter" like all the cool kids!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:01 pm

I've looked at it myself and even sold a few items on ebay, mostly I found it wasn't worth the effort into the painting when I could of been painting for myself.....however what I have found is that commission work is THE way to go. No decisions necessary, just paint what the customer asks for a price you are happy with. One of the best commission "army" painters I've found is "curse of beers" I believe. He paints armies for commission. They are above average table top and he cranks them out.

his link I believe
www.s90.photobucket.com/albums/k242/curseofbeers

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luckless Diceman on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:32 pm

Nice mini there Scott
I buy and sell a bit on ebay (just sold some Deamonettes and Mounted deamonettes) anyway I thought I would warn you that your shipping costs are on the low side. The average small package in Canada is around $8.00 or $9.00. Not cheap, but it is usually cheaper to send it to the states. You can usually get a good idea of the cost at canadapost.ca. Good luck with your ebay selling. I sold a Bretonnian army last year to a fellow in France for $1000.00 it was the best deal i ever made with ebay.

Luckless Diceman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:52 pm

Cool, and good to know. I will increase them on the next one. I have a secret weapon though....

My brother works for purolator and If I ship through him I get 85% off. I just got to keep it on the down low as it's againt his company policy to do it for profit!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:18 am

I've said it earlier in a thread that's months old, but you have to sell "cheap" center pieces for your army. You can't paint expensive figs and get a good return.

I made my example before about Beastmen Lord figs. They are crazy cheap to buy because it's an army that not too many people play. But, paint a Beastlord fig and people pay good money for it. Pay $5.00, get $50.00 back...talking from experience. I could honestly paint a Beastlord fig in an afternoon -- prime to finish. And I am NOT usually a fast painter, but they're easy to paint.

Try that with a GUO, (which I have done) and you have a $60.00 fig that you MIGHT get a 100% return on, after painting the darn thing for two weeks. Everyone Ohh's and Aah's over it, but won't pay you the $400.00 it's technically worth. I have seen golden Daemon winners barely get $200.00 for a large model, and the hours they put into that fig would make you weep. It's hard to make money in metal rank-n-file. Buy characters for cheap and ranks in plastic and you can make SOME money... but pumping gas is easier.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:01 pm

Hey the good news is they both have bids on them. At least I don't have to be that guy psoting stuff up that people throw up at when they look. Also lot's of watchers. They could just be curious eBuddies of mine but I hope they'll swoop in and put an order in at the last moment!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:33 pm

At least I don't have to be that guy psoting stuff up that people throw up at when they look.

Exactly. Your stuff looks great. It's amazing how many "professional" painters there are on ebay. I had a Khorne Daemon army that I thought might get a fair bit, but when the dust settled, I made $250.00. I honestly expected $400.00+, easy. Had 25 people watching and even had emails saying, "I'm buying this army no matter what it takes!!!", but those buggers never showed. Some Dutch doofus got a good deal if you ask me.

Scott, why don't you re-list with 10 Plaguebearers?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:26 pm

Well I've got 60 more to sell so I will change the next one.

Once there is a bid you can't edit the lisitng anymore. I'm cool with it so far.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:53 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top