Playoff Eric v. Carson

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Playoff Eric v. Carson

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:35 pm

Me and Carson played our playoff game already, and due to a last turn charge by my Herald of Khorne against Carson's Speculum Wielding Archlector on War Altar I was able to snatch a narrow victory with a lucky killing blow, despite my herald striking with the stats of the doddering mortal.

I managed to bog the Archlector down for nearly the entire game with one damn thing or another, though its magic slowly demolished every Daemonic unit I could summon against it.

Other notable occurrences included Carson's Pistolier unit fleeing from a charge and ending up directly in front of his unit of Knights which completely screwed up his battle line in the second turn and a direct fire cannon shot (1" guess) that pegged my Bloodthirster, wounded him, got past his ward save but then only inflicted a single wound.

Without the Pistolier flight, with a luckier cannon result and without my last ditch killing blow on the Archlector and it would have been a totally different game.

As it was, victory to me. Onwards to the finals.

I think later I will post a thread in the general discussion forum on my recent views on magic. Partially inspired by the Suicide Elves thread on Warhammer.org.uk and partly my own observations, I have given up the idea of using a scroll caddy. I have been greatly impressed with the ability to weather even potent anti-Daemon magic like an Archlector on War Altar, Warrior Priest and some bound spells using only 2 dispel dice. More complete observations and theoretical discussion when time permitting.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Playoff Eric v. Carson

Post  squalie on Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:51 pm

Eric, do it sooner than later. I've been rolling this around in my head lately. I want to play a magic-light Beasts army and don't really like Khorne. Gimme yo' thoughts!

Edit: Also, a link to the thread you're talking about.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:41 pm

I was a firm believer in not caring about enemy magic in 6th edition. I went 2 complete years without using a mage or any extra dispell stuff (Orcs and Nurgle SoC demons). I feel less inclined to give that a shot in 7th edition, and for sure a tourny setting would give me the creeps doing that. I'd like to talk more about it...

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:43 pm

Thanks Eric for posting that up. I've just now gotten full internet access back so I was having trouble posting anything.

It was a great game. I tried everything to free up the archlector from those 3 fleshhounds, including the captain charge who popped out of his knights to help....just couldn't get past some timely ward saves though. If he had gotten free it would of been a nice flank charge with us5 on your 600pt bloodletter unit. I was quite confident in the last combat with your herald, what with the speculum and all....you got just the 1 hit but when its a killing blow, its a killing blow.

The whole game It seemed I was trying to scrape togther points and didn't realize until the end of the game that I would of won if the herald/archlector combat had gone the other way.

Great game!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:53 pm

I didn't have much left on the table by turn 6. 5 models of my Bloodletter unit were left, with Handgunners on one flank and your BSB on the other. You had some table quarters I couldn't get at, my Battle Standard was half dead. But the Thirster still had 4/5 wounds left and I think he would have salvaged the Bloodletter combat, netting me your Handgunners and Battle Standard.

If you had killed my BSB, then it could have been a draw in your favour, so a lot came down to that single killing blow.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:53 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top