Interesting Rules for Slow Play

Go down

Interesting Rules for Slow Play Empty Interesting Rules for Slow Play

Post  Derek on Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:05 pm

Hey Guys reading the rules pack for the upcoming UK Masters 2019/2020 here at the end of Jan.
They have some pretty detailed rules for painting requirements but I found the round length points very interesting. They have really tackled the slow play issues head on.

"Round Timings and Game Length
As you have probably noted, there is a strict timetable we need to adhere to. This will ensure that the event will run smoothly and people are able to leave in a timely fashion. In addition, the 9th Age is a game of six equal turns. Failure to complete all six turns can result in the frustration of your opponent, advantages that would not normally have been gained and a general sense of annoyance about the game. Whilst we are aware that most players to finish their games on time occasionally this does not happen.

To this end the event has five provisions regarding the round timings and game length;

Announcements will be made throughout the round indicating the amount of time remaining. At this stage, we would strongly suggest that you complete your game, ensuring that equal turns have been played and to then submit your results. If you fail to hand in the results slip on time, you will be given a warning. If you fail to hand in the results slip a second time, your score (for both players) will be reduced to zero.
If a referee asks you to stop playing, and this request is refused, then both players will have their score for that round being reduced to zero. In addition, at the absolute discretion of the organisers, a further point’s penalty may apply to your tournament score.
On the score, sheets will be a box to indicate the number of turns played. If a player fails to complete 6 turns in more than 2 games they will receive a point’s penalty on their tournament equal to 1 point for every turn that they have failed to complete during the event.
If a team fails to hand in their results by the end of the round they will receive a point’s penalty on their capped and uncapped tournament point score equal to 1 point for every minute that they have failed to hand in the results slip.
Notwithstanding the above; if a referee feels that a player is deliberately playing slowly despite warnings then they may be liable for a point’s penalty.

If you have any concerns with the speed at which your opponent is playing, please do not hesitate to come and speak with us and we will attempt to resolve the matter before it becomes a problem."

I like it, I do adhere to the "lets don't penalize players for list - just give bonus points " viewpoint. However, slow play is a tactic and an evil one at that. It takes so much away from the game. Plus all the pragmatic practical reasons why firm timing is important at tourneys is really dealt with here.
Derek
Derek

Back to top Go down

Interesting Rules for Slow Play Empty Re: Interesting Rules for Slow Play

Post  squalie on Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:29 pm

Post this in the Alberta 9th Age Facebook page. I'll make the popcorn.
squalie
squalie

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:31 am

I second that, lol

Carson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:07 pm

Ha I like it.