Nathan's January submission

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Nathan's January submission

Post  nathanr on Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:44 pm

Ok here is my submission for January. I was going to paint up a whole unit of grail pilgrims (30 of them to be exact) but due to unforseen circumstances and general laziness on my part I didn't finish them (didn't even come close) so I'm going to submit this guy:

I'm calling him a level 4 wizard with enough magic items to make him over 200 points. In my normal 2000 point army he won't even be a character, he just adds visual interest to the pilgrim's unit but in some games I will use him as a wizard and if I ever expand this army into 3000 points or more I will definately be using him as a wizard lord so it isn't exactly cheating.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nathan's January submission

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:59 pm

So Nathan does a "Squalie" and submits a single fig and we're supposed to choke on it for an entry. You know my feelings on the mini (Excellent!). I'll put up my real "Workin' man's" entry tommorow featuring -gasp- more models!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:16 pm

I would have done more models but I really wanted to focus on this guy. I promise next month (read this month, February) my entry will feature a fully painted unit of grail pilgrims (I have 5 done and 18 more started complete with reliquae). Of course they will be converted to fit with my crusader theme. Once I'm done these guys then the really heavy conversions start (pegasus knights).

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:40 pm

I kneeeeeeeeww this would come up. "Does a Squalie"...pfft. It must be like an itch you just can't quite scratch. I just got back from my last business trip today, so I'll set up my painting room and start painting units! Guys, I'm honestly still living out of boxes.

Hey, I'm taking this on the chin because I haven't painted barely anything in a loooong time, but where did it say single models weren't allowed? Eventually one gets to characters and if the criteria is 200 points....

I just happened to paint my characters first! Is this like the episode of the Simpsons where one can pull a "Homer"?

By the way Nathan, that is honestly a great paintjob!

What do you guys take your pictures on? My pictures always seem to come out yellow and I think I have a pretty decent camera. Scott's pictures (and yours) are always so white.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:45 pm

One fig is totally legal. But expect to get razzed for it.

Don, do you use any photo editing software? I run mine through a program called "Gimp" before I post and that corrects all the light levels for you. Eat this link!

http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/724

So there it is. And for the record I WILL have a one model entry at some point. I gotta do my lord and shield bearers. But I am also getting VERY sidtracked as I just started a Khemri army and order a bunch of specialty bases for them last night. Check out the bases.....

http://www.dragonforge.com/Painting%20service/for%20sale/base_sets/fantasy/square_parched_wasteland.htm

so we'll see which kid get's papa's attention, if you know what I'm sayin!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:06 pm

Awesome job Nathan, Probably your best work to date!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:59 pm

Thanks guys, I agree that this is by far the best thing I have painted. Everything just seemed to work out with this model and I'm really happy with it.

Squalie, you should make yourself a light box (don't buy one, its like throwing money in the garbage). I made mine in a single evening using materials I found around the house. All you need is a cardboard box of medium size (shouldn't be a problem, just use one of the ones you say you are living out of), some white tissue paper (Christmas was just a month ago and if you are cheap like me you saved all the gift bags and tissue paper you got so you don't have to buy wrapping paper for your gifts next year) and some tape ( you should have some packing tape left from the move).
Step 1: Lay box on its side with the open top facing you
Step 2: Using a knife or scissors (kids ask an adult to help you) cut off the top flaps of the box and then cut large openings (leave about 1" of cardboard around the edges) in the top and 2 sides.
Step 3: Tape the tissue paper over the openings. This will help diffuse the lights to help create soft shadows.
Step 4: Put whatever background you want in the box, I used a 8.5"x14" sheet of white paper taped to the back and curved onto the floor to avoid any background shadows.
Step 5: Position lights on both sides (and top if desired). Daylight bulbs are best.

Your light box is complete! Now you can make professional-looking pictures in your own home! Touch-up programs like Scott uses can be found online, personally I use Adobe Photoshop (which most of those are based on). It requires a bit more know-how and is more expensive but I think it produces superior results!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:43 pm

I bought mine for 40$ delivered to my door. I call it a bargain!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:30 pm

$40.00? To your door? From who?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:51 pm

squalie wrote:$40.00? To your door? From who?

ephotodiscounters from eBay. Check 'em out if you like. Or make one. Either way, a good investment if this kind of thing is your bag.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:59 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top