EoS Onslaught List - 4500 points

Go down

EoS Onslaught List - 4500 points

Post  nathanr on Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:26 pm

Hey guys, I want your opinions on my army list for Onslaught. †It's the same as what I'm taking to our tournament so I won't give out all the details about my list:

Characters:
Knight Commander on Young Griffon
Marshal on Foot with Battle Standard
Prelate on Foot
Prelate on Horse
Prelate on Horse

Core:
15 light infantry (handguns)
9 Electoral Cavalry - Knightly order upgrade, cavalry pick
9 Electoral Cavalry - Knightly order upgrade, cavalry pick

Special:
3 Knights of the Sun Griffon
30 Imperial Guard

Cannon
Steam Tank

4500 points.

Things I'm not convinced about:
1. cavalry picks on the knights. †They have outstanding armour piercing abilities every round but they sacrifice the bonus strength in the charge phase to get that. †It means that my tin cans are setting up for prolonged combat which they don't have the static combat res to win. †With only average leadership this means they could very easily break and run if I don't give them support. †Plus with the prelate in the unit giving them hatred I'm less likely to suffer from rubber lances.
2. Having no reiters. †I love the unit but I have no points to put them in without sacrificing elsewhere.
3. Handguns on the light infantry. †24" range is terrible, especially with the mobile and agressive army I've got. †They always get left behind and do nothing important. †I like the champion's long rifle but other than that the unit seems like a bit of a waste of points. †Should I take crossbows instead or just drop the unit entirely and take something else like militia or a small block of halberds?
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EoS Onslaught List - 4500 points

Post  Kal on Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:39 pm

Looks like a good list. Haven't played vs empire much in 9th so dont really know what I'm afraid of anymore. Why 15 hand gunners? 5x3?
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:39 pm

That list looks fine. Smile

2. Having no reiters. I love the unit but I have no points to put them in without sacrificing elsewhere.

Welcome to 4500. Wink
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:38 pm

Kal wrote:Looks like a good list. Haven't played vs empire much in 9th so dont really know what I'm afraid of anymore. Why 15 hand gunners? 5x3?

Because thatís how many fit in the list. Theyíll probably go in line formation to maximize shooting.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:05 pm

Just was curious as it wasnt an even number.

I'd drop the 24" guns for crossbows. Help them pick off any chaff that might be hiding just out of range. And still reach most units holding an objective. Do the handguns have unwieldy as well?
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:59 pm

Kal wrote:Just was curious as it wasnt an even number.

I'd drop the 24" guns for crossbows. Help them pick off any chaff that might be hiding just out of range. And still reach most units holding an objective. Do the handguns have unwieldy as well?

Guns are better with the support of orders and a parent unit to baby sit. Accurate 24" with 3 ranks of shooting is pretty good and the extra armor piercing will help make those shots count.

I'm not a fan of cav picks. Give me lances (rubber or not) any day!
blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:45 pm

I played around with the points and I realized I could drop to 10 handgunners without dropping below 25% on core, must have been thinking 5000 points before. I switched around some magic items and dropped a few less useful things and managed to squeeze in a unit of Reiters. Iím happy with the army now. Iíll see after the tournament to see if I need to find the points for lances on the knights. Iíd need to free up 67 more points for that. Not sure where those points would come from.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:51 pm

So after toying with the idea of taking an inquisitor the last two games I think Iím going back to 3 prelates instead. Iím also going to switch up my knight commanderís items. Iím dropping the sonnstahl in favour of some more defence. With the sonstahl he tends to get to swing once and then die.

I may also add the lightning vambraces to one of the prelates so Iíve got some choices for early game magic.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:25 pm

I've got two potential builds for my general, they cost the same amount of points.

Light of Sonnstahl - 155 points. Close combat attacks which hit wound automatically, are AP 10 and magical
Plate Armour, shield

or

Hero's Heart - 55 points. +1 Att (5 total), S5, AP 3
Plate Armour
Shield of Volund - 20 Points. Close combat attacks with lethal strike or battle focus targeting the bearer lose these attributes.
Winter Cloak - 80 Points. Bearer gains distracting, Aegis 5+, Against flaming attacks the bearer gains Aegis 2+.

The Light of Sonnstahl is pretty great but I find he doesn't have the survivability to last more than one round. Maybe with the aegis save and distracting he might be able to take a few more punches even if it means he's not quite as killy.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:10 pm

You don't seem to lose many games, so don't change too much. I disagree with the Inquisitor - it's pretty frustrating = good for you. I DO agree with the Sonnstahl - I'd much rather a 1+ 5++ General with still cool weapons.

You've already trimmed most of the fat off that list, if you're doing anything now it's basically just to experiment. Do you normally have enough dice for 3 Prelates?
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:25 pm

The inquisitor is great but putting him in means I'm losing hatred on one of my knight units. †It isn't that I have enough dice for 3 prelates, it is that I have more options of where to cast the spells. †The prelate's spells are limited to the caster's unit so no prelate means no buffs for that unit. †It is really a question of whether I want the character to be better or the unit.

The prelate and the inquisitor are identical point values (300) so it is a really easy swap. I'm thinking if I do take the inquisitor I should put him and the remaining prelate in the same unit. Perhaps that is the answer, that way I'm getting the hatred and spell bonuses from the prelate to make sure I don't mess up with the inquisitor in the first round of combat.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:24 pm

I think you might be over analyzing.....the knights blocks each with a prelate are pretty scary. I agree with the better save on the general though.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:41 pm

Hey nathan what weapon did you have on your inquisitor?
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:58 pm

Brace of pistols but I also had him upgraded with blessed steel which is an inquisitor upgrade giving him +2 agility and his close combat attacks +1 Str and AP. The brace of pistols count as paired weapons in combat giving him an extra attack and Off. For the 300 point version I donít have blessed steel.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:57 am

Ah okay, I thought you were using the d3 wounds version, in which case I would say go for the prelate instead as I dont think he would fit with the army.
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:45 am

I think you've got quite a nasty list, i agree that the general needs a better save for sure. I like the idea of the prelate and inquisitor in the same unit, would that mean you would now have a unit with no characters?

Also if anything i think your general being on a demi griff is the only thing that slows him down, if he was on foot, which in empire its easy to get 1+ or on a regular horse i think he would blend better. His unit disappears to quickly. imo

Maybe get rid of the Steam Tank, its terrible and totally no good Wink believe me thats probably it Very Happy
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:02 am

Kuyp wrote:Ah okay, I thought you were using †the d3 wounds version, in which case I would say go for the prelate instead as I dont think he would fit with the army.

He does d3 wounds and has lethal strike on his base profile. For 80 points I have the option of giving him +2 Agi, +1 Str and +1 AP on his close combat attacks or Lethal Strike, D3 Wounds and reroll failed wounds on his shooting attacks.

Kal wrote:I think you've got quite a nasty list, i agree that the general needs a better save for sure. I like the idea of the prelate and inquisitor in the same unit, would that mean you would now have a unit with no characters?

Also if anything i think your general being on a demi griff is the only thing that slows him down, if he was on foot, which in empire its easy to get 1+ or on a regular horse i think he would blend better. His unit disappears to quickly. imo

If I put them in the same unit then I don't have any characters in the other unit of knights. That might not be the worst thing, I could send them out by themselves and not worry about losing a tonne of points or tying up a bunch of points on taking a flank.

The general is going to stay on the young griffon. I don't have a model for a dude on foot or on a regular horse, plus I like what he adds to the army. I'm not too concerned about his leadership buffs as I've got characters in most of the other units that I care about anyway. I think the distracting and aegis save should give me what I need to make him more survivable. Plus it gives him 3-4 more S5 AP3 attacks and fear.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:36 am

I agree on the empty unit of knights, they will still pack a punch and if you lose them no big and if they do nothing but deny an area, no big.

Sounds good about the general. was just my opinion. The model is awesome and the unit looks good. Distracting and the aegis will help alot.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:19 am

I'm going to try the inquisitor in the same unit as the prelate a few times before Onslaught but I'm probably going to just go back to 3 prelates.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down