Registration open for September!

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: Registration open for September!

Post  Mhael on Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:57 am

That is a good point also. I would be willing to open up the garage if the turnout suits. Means more money for prizes or club purchases.
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:01 am

I'll admit I had zero idea about this either. Me and Don are having a test game with our lists today and then I'll send my list off. Just need to know where to send it.

Aye I couldnt get anymore players from MJ. So we might cap out at 12. I share Nathan's sentiment about the money. Let us know,

I agree with sending the lists to Carson or a non opponent. I'm assuming it's open list.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:07 am

I didn’t know about this either. I’ll have mine in by Wednesday.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:56 pm

Hey All,

Some valid points being made.

It is unfortunate that the event seems to be even smaller than we thought it would turn out to be.

But its going to be fun.

My Email is iderekbrown@hotmail.com for list submissions.

At this point if we can hold the event at the Garage of Sir Andre that seems good to me. Like Andre said that would be more prizes for the gamers and club.

We will have to discuss it here asap.
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:05 pm

If you get to see my list before the event I want to see yours Wink

Are you validating/ scoring the lists at all or is this just a submittal thing?
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:15 pm

Kal wrote:If you get to see my list before the event I want to see yours Wink

Are you validating/ scoring the lists at all or is this just a submittal thing?

Most 9th events are open list and list entry a week before (or longer) is a very common thing. If one person is customizing their list because of entries, then they have to customize for 11 other armies - which then makes it an all comers list. Very Happy
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:13 pm

Yeah its about making sure its legit and all tourney army lists (I feel) should be able to fight all other armies.

There is not one reason that we wanted the list early, I think its overall a good idea.

But you will have to ply me with drinks before I show you everything Razz Cool
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:24 pm

I'm fine with it if we are playing open list but if we are it should be posted as we normally play closed list in league and most of our tournaments.

Here's an example of what I'm saying:  A long time ago I went to a tournament after having posted my army list online.  I had a lot of characters in my army and in my post I said something along the lines of "boy that magic weapon that nobody ever takes that gives +1S+1A per enemy characters in base contact would really ruin my day".  Lo and behold, that magic weapon shows up that day, in the last game that decided who won the tournament.  That item would have done almost nothing for that player in the previous two games but against my army he was getting a whopping +6S and +6A when I dual charged him with 2 units holding 3 characters each which absolutely annihilated my army.  This was technically a closed-list tournament so the first I knew about that item was when we got into combat.  This is the exact situation we're discussing now, if one player knows their opponent's list they have an advantage.  

Another example, say my knight blocks have the strider banner.  Most people feel a bit safer from cavalry on the other side of dangerous terrain so I can maybe use that banner to surprise my opponent.  There are all kinds of magic items that are more potent in a closed list format.  I agree that Derek would have to be Rain Man to be able to optimize his list to face all the lists coming at him but if he can remember a few points about each army he can absolutely tailor his tactics and gameplay using what he knows to gain an advantage against his opponents.

Remember, the examples in the above paragraphs only apply if we are playing closed list.  I've already sent Carson my army list and I'm happy to also send it to Derek regardless of open or closed list.  I am mostly just playing devil's advocate here and raising issues that we should consider when organizing an event that we hope will eventually be attended by people outside of our friendly little group.  Better to sort everything out now than once we hit the big time.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:30 pm

Nathan you make a very valid point.

I think the thrust of the list submission was to encourage players to get prepared and in some ways get excited about the event.
Also there are other reasons that list submission is beneficial but I'm almost done work and want to make this short Very Happy

I personally thinks its crazy that some one would take an army specific item etc...in a tournament. I'm very poor at math but what are the chances that they would face the right opponent.
Personally I think our gaming group is very open list...everyone seems to be telling me everything they have before each battle. Maybe its our overt politeness  Very Happy

In regards to me getting the lists....I think it was just dividing up the tasks - talking to Darren, getting trophies and lists was me Very Happy

I still think list submission is good idea. flower
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:30 pm

Personally I hate open lists....we have always used closed lists in Saskatoon and will continue to do so.

List submission is to check validation, and to even offer friendly suggestions on army build. It was a complete fuck up that the lists were to be sent off to Derek who is a player. All lists can be sent to myself at carsongallant@live.ca

Honestly, I lost heart in this years event, after the continual conflict from out of province scheduling and support. The website needs a ton of polish/redesign.

With only 10 players, I feel we should hold the event at Andres' (thanks for volunteering) and spend the entry fees on awesome prizes!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterW on Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:30 pm

I'll be there in spades no matter the location, but with Andre being kind enough to open his garage doors it does sound like the option to go with given the circumstances.  You'll have my list by the deadline. Razz

Will the tournament remain as a two day event?
PeterW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:00 pm

PeterW wrote:I'll be there in spades no matter the location, but with Andre being kind enough to open his garage doors it does sound like the option to go with given the circumstances.  You'll have my list by the deadline. Razz

Will the tournament remain as a two day event?

We could do a 3 or 4 game one day? Totally fine either way, just typing words...
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:34 am

Good with anything, just want to roll some DICE!
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:14 am

Unless everyone is married to the idea of a 2 day, 5 round tournament I'd vote for switching to one day 4 rounds on the Saturday. 4 games in a day is a lot but not unmanageable. Ultimately it is up to Carson Derek and Andre but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:18 am

Currently reviewing this as a change
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:04 am

Officially been changed to a one day 4 game tourny on Saturday. I think first game needs to be under way by 9 at the latest in order to finish at a respectable time allowing 2 one hour meal breaks. There is a Browns and Famosa in walking distance and plenty of fast food joints near.
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:34 pm

Sounds good to me! Hell if we pick a restaurant and print the menu we can call our order in before we go there. Speed things up.

Looking forward to this as always, sorry the numbers didnt turn out but a few years of an amazing event in Saskatoon and others will come. Scheduling seems a giant pain. We will try and take tons of pictures this year and post them on the site.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:44 pm

Carson wrote:Personally I hate open lists....we have always used closed lists in Saskatoon and will continue to do so.

List submission is to check validation, and to even offer friendly suggestions on army build. It was a complete fuck up that the lists were to be sent off to Derek who is a player. All lists can be sent to myself at carsongallant@live.ca

Honestly, I lost heart in this years event, after the continual conflict from out of province scheduling and support. The website needs a ton of polish/redesign.

With only 10 players, I feel we should hold the event at Andres' (thanks for volunteering) and spend the entry fees on awesome prizes!

Don't be disheartened Carson its going to be an awesome event. flower

With 10 or 14 or 40 we will have fun.

A one day event is a good primer for Onslaught.

Tough time of the year and there is so much going on.

I do agree though - I prefer closed lists, but if I'm reading things correctly T9A prefers an Open List format. I like the surprise of an opponents army list  and I like to chuckle when I find out that people use a specific item or unit and it is a waste  Laughing Twisted Evil those one trick pony armies rarely succeed.

We will have a blast all is well.
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:42 pm

Just to be clear - I hate open lists. That's for sissies.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:08 pm

Other than things my army would see from across the field I prefer the surprise. I am sure either side can see a unit holding bows or sheilds or great weapons but to know what scrolls are in your wizards pocket...mhhammm. Plan for them having anything.
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:09 pm

Hey guys, I have two questions. Is registration still open for this tournament, and if so would one more player result in an odd number players?
Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:41 pm

You are more than welcome. It’s become a one day, 4 round tournament on the Saturday. It is now being held in Andre’s garage. We’ll make it work if there’s an odd number, Carson can play as the ringer to round out the numbers if he needs to.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:10 am

So now that the format is changed to a one day we may have some players who can attend. Final registration day will be wed the 5th. We will be capped at 14 entries based on a first come basis.

Also if you havent paid your entry please do, so that we can get all our prizes gathered. I have paid up so far;

Andre
Sean
Peter
Nathan R
Don
Derek
Johnny

I will add names as they come in
Not paid yet

Dom
Geoff
Zach
Josh
Alberto

Lets get this done by wed

Last edited by Mhael on Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:09 pm

Derek payed up last night

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:30 pm

I know it's not a big deal. But did all the lists get submitted last night?
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next