you my friends.....suck Sad

Have a great time and win some shit!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Onslaught 2018.

Post  Derek on Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:09 pm

nathanr wrote:Ok, lets meet at Andre's at noon or slightly before.  I went into work early today so I can leave at 11 so I'll be at Andre's between 11:15 and 11:30.  Lets get lunch somewhere quick and easy or better yet, everyone eat lunch before we meet so we can just get on the road.

I'm anticipating a fuel cost somewhere between $40 and $50 per person (including me).  Probably closer to $40.  We should get to Edmonton right around supper-time.

I will be there.

I have to pick up my boy from Kelsey at 11ish am and then I am having him drop me off at Andre's.

Gonna be a blast.
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:19 pm

Carson wrote:you my friends.....suck Sad

Have a great time and win some shit!

It’s amazing how much room there is in Nathans van now that there’s only 5 guys. Thanks Carson!
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:30 pm

Mad

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:09 pm

Hey All,

Onslaught was a great time with good friends.

It was great to have 7 players from Sask showing those Albertan's how to play. Very Happy

Myself, Don, Nathan, Sean, Andre, Pete and Geoff attended.

It was a well attended event and I want to thank Wade for putting it on.

As always every player has gripes and regrets lol....but we all had fun.

Doug Lamb and his Tomb Kings won it all and ex-Saskatoon player Kieran Dunleavy won Best Presentation.

I look forward to seeing a more detailed results list.

It was great to see every army in the 9th Age on a table top battling and interesting to see some of the other games out there.

There were some incredible 9th Age armies and I especially liked the High Elves (Kevin - an ETC Veteran) I fought against.

For next year we would like to try and push to get a full 10-12 Saskatoon players down and take that tourney. Very Happy

Personally I felt that Don's Army should have taken Best Presentation and Nathan was my favorite to win overall. Next year guys.

I want to thank Nathan for driving and Andre for organizing the rooms...way to go guys and very cool of you both.

I am looking forward to the next event and have some ideas for my army. Very Happy Very Happy

Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:19 am

Pretty much what Derek said (except that Nathan rubbish Smile ). I went 2-1 and had 3 good games (0-20 loss, 20-0 win and 13-7 win). They were all good games and no real drama in any of them. The Albertans are quickly slipping away from the Beer and Pretzel attitude of Warhammer and have fully embraced the ETC mindset as a group - which means we have to tighten our belts and sharpen our pencils for next year.

First game against Doug Lamb had me running in circles and getting stomped by a very magic effective Undying Dynasties army. 0-20

Second game against Shane and his High Elves. Very new player - I only lost a couple models and took every one of his. 20-0 and 4900 to 0 vp's. Super charming fellow and took a loss better than most.

Third game against the always affable Phil and his Chosen dart heavy Warriors. Very good game that was the quintessential back and forth affair with me getting a 13-7, no secondary. Those little Chosen darts are noting to sneeze at.

It is SUCH a good time for surprisingly little money and I'm glad Pete, Sean and the regulars made the trip. You others should be ashamed. Wink

Carson, Dwyane, Nathan M, Nathan A, Josh, Sam, Alberto, and a few others we should dig out of their Warhammer grave to make the trip next year. What an event it would be if 14+ Sask guys walked in. Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:21 am

Ha, obviously Derek doesn't know my historically bad record at onslaught if he thought I was going to win it all. I was the only one from Saskatchewan without 2 wins on the weekend. I lost my first 12-8 against a really nice high elf player, my second game was a 19-1 loss against an extremely frustrating and un-fun to play tzeench daemon army, third one was a fun game against another empire player which was really close until he lost his general and gave up turn 5 giving me a 20-0. If he'd toughed it out to the end it might have actually ended in a narrow win for him but he wasn't interested in playing anymore. That left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth to end the tournament but I can't force a guy to play so I took the win.

I agree, we should come out in force next year. How embarrassing would it be for them if 50% of the players in the tournament were from Saskatchewan? If it's the fully painted army rule that is holding you back I've got enough painted armies to outfit myself and 5 others so don't use that as an excuse.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:32 am

It's obvious the fully painted rule isn't in effect anyways, so don't worry!
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:27 pm

It's obvious the fully painted rule isn't in effect anyways, so don't worry! 

Yes I was surprised to see models unpainted on at least three armies.

I would recommend going forward everyone make a display board - makes things easy to move and adds that little panache. I saw some simple ones there, picture frames with cardboard and foam in the middle, or simply a sturdy piece of hard foam - light weight and easy to carry.

I think Nathan's Army is hard as balls...I was unawares of his history at the event, perhaps he is too occupied with the Russian Disco Women? I am confidant he can take that same army list back next year and be in contention to take it all.

Sadly I also had 2 losses and 1 Victory. My first battle was against Geoff Klassen's nasty Demon Prince & Scourge of Wraith Army that he played in Plains War 1. I killed one of his Flying Giant Demons but I made 1 fatal move with my Barbarian Horseman, I knew it immediately but its a tourney so I did not move them back. That fatal move allowed him to get a flank and overrun into my Warriors and then my Lord... affraid But  Geoff did laugh at my dice as they were not doing well and my Warriors should not have been there...but the dice gotta work. 
Geoff got the Secondary 19-1 loss

My Second battle was against Kevin, an ETC vet. He was really nice, fun to play and had a gorgeous looking Highborn Elf Army. Lots of hills on the battlefield played a factor in the battle. He had no bolt throwers and I only had to deal with like 4 crossbow shots per battle. His sexy Flame Phoenix charged across the battle field and into my chariot and I held and counter charged him with my Warriors. I was wondering why he would do that, I did not realize they could regenerate (Phoenix...Duh Rolling Eyes) but he needed a 5+ and it did not work. Anyway things looked very good for me, I had taken out a couple units of knights and his barge-thing and eagles were staying away from me. But I had a charge with my Warriors & BSB and my Lord into his unit of White Lions with his General/Mage in it. I thought this is the battle, he was very nice and told me that I should not do that as he would hit first with S6 and do multiple wounds (on large units etc) and he was stubborn, I kinda thought he was bragging a bit and charged...I thought I had him and the battle. affraid affraid Well his Elf Lord has Agility 10 and my Lord has Agility 9 and that was it...some crazy spear with multiple wounds killed my Lord and the White Lions tore apart my Warriors. affraid affraid After that I was scrambling to survive. I actually sacrificed my Feldraks and then my Giant into that unit so it would not hit my Forsworn that held the Secondary.
Kevin won, I learned a lesson, but at least I took the secondary   17-4  loss

My 3rd and last battle was against another Highborn Elf army, David. he was a real nice guy with a nice army. Although his Dragon and Mage/General were not painted. He had a massive unit of Swordmasters with a BSB, a Large unit of White Lions, 3 small units of Knights and 2 bolt throwers. He had a large unit of Sea Guard on my flank which I was able to take out with a Chariot and my Barbarians. My Feldraks and Lord motored down my left flank and quickly engaged two units of Knights and killed them both. My Lord went of the table and next turn my Fledrak charged his White Lions in the flank  affraid but he only did 4 wounds and I did 8 and he was not stubborn (no bodyguard) Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Took those White lions out. His Swordmasters marched towards my line and engaged my Forsworn, thankfully they are stubborn in the first turn of combat as he killed 4 of them in his initial charge. I was able to counter charge with my Warriors and then follow through into his Mage on the Dragon, which had come down into battle and scared off my Giant. Fortunately his Bolt Throwers did nothing. I tabled him and took the secondary.
Derek won 20-0  victory

My only spell was Hellfire from my Giant and it surprisingly got off and did some damage 50% of the time. I only miscast once and it did nothing.

Like I said it was fun. I enjoyed the atmosphere and all the armies. I was not impressed with how a lot of the guys moved units, but perhaps we are behind the times here in Sask.
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:25 pm

Derek wrote:I would recommend going forward everyone make a display board - makes things easy to move and adds that little panache.

Since one of the top 3 painted armies didn't even have a display board - apparently you don't need one of those either. Wink
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:37 am

squalie wrote:
Derek wrote:I would recommend going forward everyone make a display board - makes things easy to move and adds that little panache.

Since one of the top 3 painted armies didn't even have a display board - apparently you don't need one of those either. Wink

Very true. I will say again I think your were robbed...if not snubbed for some reason.

I was thinking more about the ease of carrying the army from table to table....I had mine on top of my box and in retrospect it was not the easiest to manage.
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:12 pm

Derek wrote:
squalie wrote:

Very true. I will say again I think your were robbed...if not snubbed for some reason.

I was thinking more about the ease of carrying the army from table to table....I had mine on top of my box and in retrospect it was not the easiest to manage.

Just to be clear, I’m not even sure I was robbed (although one army definitely wasn’t top 3 - at all) and I’m not upset at all - not even a little. What I AM saying is that a lot of rules are not enforced at Onslaught (painting, time and display, etc). Rules we seem to out of the way to adhere to and blatantly ignored by the locals.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:08 pm

squalie wrote:
Derek wrote:
squalie wrote:

Just to be clear, I’m not even sure I was robbed (although one army definitely wasn’t top 3 - at all) and I’m not upset at all - not even a little. What I AM saying is that a lot of rules are not enforced at Onslaught (painting, time and display, etc). Rules we seem to out of the way to adhere to and blatantly ignored by the locals.

That is the truth. It seemed that Wade was doing it all himself. Which is fine if he stuck to his own guidelines/rules. Like the issue Andre had with time on that game with the super slow Undead player.
Are we too strict? Do we demand to much?? I don't think so - with a set of standards a player can know where he stands and excel at game play or the hobbyist aspect and not worry about others bending the rules or taking advantage of loopholes etc...
I like how we do things here even if it evolves in format style etc... its all above board and no one bends the rules...except Carson and his dirty Skaven - that bell should be outlawed!!
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:15 pm

How dare you slander the might of the Horned Rat!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh b on Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:52 pm

hey guys planning on having a games fay at my place on the 17th of november (3rd weekend) little to post yes but uust want to try and make sure the moosejaw guys have ebough time to plan hoping to get 3 tables going i make up one table so if people would be so kind as to bring a couple tables and terrain to occupy them that would be great

Josh b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:19 pm

My son has a hockey tournament on that day but I might be able to stop by in the evening if things are still happening. I can drop off a table and terrain the day before if you want.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:16 pm

I wouldn't be able to make a full day but I could fit in a game.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh b on Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:43 pm

yea nathan that would be great and much appreciated and yea the tables will be available all day if anyone wants to have a late game and/or shoot the shit

Josh b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:58 pm

Josh b wrote:hey guys   planning on having a games fay at my place on the 17th of november (3rd weekend)  little to post yes but uust want to try and make sure the moosejaw guys have ebough time to plan   hoping to get 3 tables going   i make up one table so if people would be so kind as to bring a couple tables and terrain to occupy them that would be great

Make a thread so people can post whether they can make it or not. I think I'm in for this. Smile
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterW on Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:26 pm

What Don said! As of now I plan to be swinging by for at least one game that day if a spot is open.
PeterW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:24 am

squalie wrote:
Josh b wrote:hey guys   planning on having a games fay at my place on the 17th of november (3rd weekend)  little to post yes but uust want to try and make sure the moosejaw guys have ebough time to plan   hoping to get 3 tables going   i make up one table so if people would be so kind as to bring a couple tables and terrain to occupy them that would be great

Make a thread so people can post whether they can make it or not.  I think I'm in for this. Smile

I'm in for this.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6