Paint types for airbrush

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Paint types for airbrush

Post  Luckless Diceman on Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:44 pm

Hi All
As I mentioned in a different thread a while back, I received an airbrush for Xmas and have fooled around a little bit with base painting etc. However I only bought 3 different colors of paint at the time while in Red Deer and the fellow there mentioned Reaper paints which is what I bought. Just curious if any of you use an airbrush and what type of paints do you use. I'm hoping to maybe try it with basecaoting and shading afterwards on some warhammer scenery buildings. Any points would be welcome. And by the way, I spoke with the manager at Compusoft and Keiren no longer works there, but still helps run the grots club. I didn't get to see him at the time so I was unable to give him a kick in the arse as you suggested. Maybe next time I'm out that way.

Luckless Diceman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Paint types for airbrush

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:43 pm

Hate to tell you but reaper paints are horrible for an airbrush. The pigment is not as fine as GW or velljo and it's seperates VERY quickly from the binder esp. when thinned down for brushwork or airbrushing.

I just got an Iwata Hp-B to try and use it much more to speed up my basic work as well. It's a great machine (allegedly) and I look forward to using it!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luckless Diceman on Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:54 am

Hey Scott
Thanks for the input. I was wondering about the reaper paints, I found the red seemed to clog a little bit even when I watered it down more than I did the black. The black and blue seemed ok but you say vellejo and gw work better? I was planing on trying out the velljo and the gw paint but I think the gw paint would be harder to mix in the airbrush bowl, I like the squirt bottles velljo have. Do you use any particular kind? I noticed on their web site that they do make a brand for air brushes although I'm not sure where to get it yet. Anyway I hope to experiment with the other paints soon. Thanks again Very Happy

Luckless Diceman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:52 am

Try thinning with alcohol, I find that its worked the best. Gives a very smooth paint for the airbrush.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luckless Diceman on Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:31 am

Any certain type of alcohol. I personally prefer the spiced rum type drunken I was going to try and find a thinner as well. What ratio would you use when using the alcohol? Thanks in advance

Luckless Diceman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:55 pm

Rubbing alcohol? Carson? Really? I would not reccomend using this, but if Carson likes it then let him justify his lunacy.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:16 pm

It actually gives the best results out of what I have tried. I have only used it with Tamiya paints though.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:24 pm

Oh, fair enough, I used to use it with their stuff as well. I DO NOT reccomend doing that with fig paint. It gums up somthin' powerful.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luckless Diceman on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:25 pm

What are tamiya paints? And do suggest I just water the paint down then?

Luckless Diceman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:32 pm

Luckless Diceman wrote:What are tamiya paints? And do suggest I just water the paint down then?

Yes, use water for the reaper but beware as the paint will start to seperate rapidly. Keep a toothpick handy to keep stirring it up.

Tamiya is a high quality brand of Jap model paints. Very good stuff for airbrushing etc. but it's not as ideal for bursh painting as the pigment isn't ground as fine as we need for our little stuff.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luckless Diceman on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:37 pm

Thanks I will indeed keep stirring. I picked up a few Vallejo paints today to try out on the scenery pieces from the boxed set. Hopefully I will get a chance to try them out this weekend. Working on the basement, the wife keeps me going sometimes Rolling Eyes

Luckless Diceman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord_Stash on Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:39 pm

I have an air brush and have used it several times. I just use the gw paint thined with rubbing alcohol. It ends up being pretty dry when it is on the model, so I recommend sealing the models when you are done with the air brush (even if the model isnt done). The sealer I have you can paint over quite easily. Make sure the paint is diluted enough or it will be chunky. You cant really dilute it too much, but if there is alot of alcohol in it you will need to wait for it to dry a bit on the model, or else it will accumulate and drip/run.

Also make sure your paint is fully dissolved in the alcohol with no paint on the bottom of the flask. I just use a tooth pick and stir for a minute.

and alcohol works JUST FINE at least with GW paint despite what Scott says. If you use water it is alot harder to dilute the paint and you need to use demineralized water or else you will get hard water spots in places.

Lord_Stash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:56 pm

Lord_Stash wrote:I have an air brush and have used it several times. I just use the gw paint thined with rubbing alcohol. It ends up being pretty dry when it is on the model, so I recommend sealing the models when you are done with the air brush (even if the model isnt done). The sealer I have you can paint over quite easily. Make sure the paint is diluted enough or it will be chunky. You cant really dilute it too much, but if there is alot of alcohol in it you will need to wait for it to dry a bit on the model, or else it will accumulate and drip/run.

Also make sure your paint is fully dissolved in the alcohol with no paint on the bottom of the flask. I just use a tooth pick and stir for a minute.

and alcohol works JUST FINE at least with GW paint despite what Scott says. If you use water it is alot harder to dilute the paint and you need to use demineralized water or else you will get hard water spots in places.

Uhm..... Stash..... the reason you're painting is binding to the model so poorly is because you've used rubbing alchohol to dilute the paint. Also, you're using a single action, or a double action?

I still reccomend water. Tap water shouldn't be a huge problem, but maybe your area is different to our area.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord_Stash on Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:14 pm

ScottRadom wrote:
Lord_Stash wrote:I have an air brush and have used it several times. I just use the gw paint thined with rubbing alcohol. It ends up being pretty dry when it is on the model, so I recommend sealing the models when you are done with the air brush (even if the model isnt done). The sealer I have you can paint over quite easily. Make sure the paint is diluted enough or it will be chunky. You cant really dilute it too much, but if there is alot of alcohol in it you will need to wait for it to dry a bit on the model, or else it will accumulate and drip/run.

Uhm..... Stash..... the reason you're painting is binding to the model so poorly is because you've used rubbing alchohol to dilute the paint. Also, you're using a single action, or a double action?

I still reccomend water. Tap water shouldn't be a huge problem, but maybe your area is different to our area.

It is bonding just fine. What I mean by dry is that it is dryed out more than when painted with a brush. Sorta like parched dirt. A sealer fixes this though and restores the gloss.

Lord_Stash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:19 pm

Why do you want to add gloss to your mini? I don't understand you and your crazy ways.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord_Stash on Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:47 pm

ScottRadom wrote:Why do you want to add gloss to your mini? I don't understand you and your crazy ways.

not "add"...replace. You will understand if you see it. My imperial guard tanks show the difference.

Lord_Stash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:47 am

Lord_Stash wrote:
ScottRadom wrote:Why do you want to add gloss to your mini? I don't understand you and your crazy ways.

not "add"...replace. You will understand if you see it. My imperial guard tanks show the difference.

My God you give me headaches. You do not want a gloss, or a semi gloss finish to your tanks. You do not want to replace the gloss/semi gloss finish the paints leave. The preferred finish of sane people is a flat finish, not glossy, not semi gloss. You just keep on keepin' on Stash, but my God in heaven sometimes you make me want to carve out my own brain for fear of having it exposed to your logic and reasoning abbilities.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:53 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top