Summer league 2018

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Re: Summer league 2018

Post  Derek on Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:02 pm

Sam and I had a holiday weekend scrap.

Sam B Dread Elves vs Derek B Warriors of the Dark Gods 4500pts

We rolled up Marching Columns and Hold the ground.

I like Sam's army list, no magic, loads of shooting and a Captain as General. My new list ended the era of an Exalted Herald as a big meany in my army.
We rolled up terrain and it was all on Sam's side of the table so it did not play a big factor in the battle. Except for the one hill on the left flank that hid my Unit of Warriors from hi Dread Knights for most of the battle.
I have plenty of scoring units so I wanted to take the secondary early, wary of his shooting and his Tower Guard unit, as such I moved up and sent my Barbarians, and two chariots to the right flank to sacrifice themselves to protect my center.
Sam went first and this ended up helping me at the end of the battle.
However, by turn 3 Sam was in complete control of the battle. His Reaper Bolt Throwers were stars this day and he took out my Lord on a Chimera by the end of turn 2 affraid affraid and he collapsed my right flank. The MVP of the battle for me was my Unit of Feldraks as they took out a number of small Dread Elf units and survived the battle, albeit at half points. His Tower Guard crushed my Forsworn and although they held for one turn I had no one to counter charge, as my Giant had fled the previous turn.
In the end I forced Sam's hand, he did not want to charge his unit of Dread Knights and General into my block of Warriors which included my BSB. I moved to within an inch of him so he had no choice on his last turn to charge me. He had control of the center of the battlefield and on the far right my lone surviving Feldrak was taunting a number of Elves lol!
In the last skirmish of the battle our Champions went into a duel and the Favored Champion of Nukuja easily laid to waste the boastful Elf. His Elf Captain/General directed his attached at my BSB and could not wound. While in return my BSB did 5 strength 6 wounds to the Elf but he saved them all on 5's Shocked My Warriors struck down 2 Elves and I won combat, but the Elf held. So on the very last turn of the battle my Lone Feldrak killed a Dread Reaper and my BSB killed his Captain as should have happen in the previous turn. Weak Elves Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

In the end I like my list and will tweak it a bit more. It was a shame that my Forsworn did not much at all, killed 6 Elves....I have to rethink that unit. His shooting was telling and swayed he battle his way early.

Sam B Dread Elves 13 vs Derek B Warriors of the Dark Gods 7
I took the secondary and was fully painted.
Sam B 10 vs Derek B 12
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:38 pm

Derek and myself threw down last night. 4500pt onslaught lists.

Derek was sporting his new, and much improved, warriors list. Great game ending in an 11-9, 13-11 after painting for the Warriors.

Huge swings throughout the game. Couple of key moments were my failed attempt to bust through a block of forsworn sloth with my general and bsb/vermin guard block allowing a nice juicy flank charge from the chaos lord. This was nicely balanced out by my Seer getting pissed off bottom of 6 and netting around 2000pts in 1 magic phase Very Happy

Derek will have a much better report I'm sure.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:32 am

Josh came over last night with his beast herds for a game. It was a fun game as always, josh’s Ambushers arrived turn 1 forcing me to turn my line around to deal with them. Luckily my combat units were up to the task and I was able to wipe out all 3 units fairly quickly. When I turned back around Josh’s other units were much much closer and the next turn we were trading blows. The inquisitor earned his place in the list, killing the big monster, smashing the Minotaur champion with 9 wounds in a challenge. The rest of the Minotaurs were demoralized by seeing their champion reduced to a pile of goo and turned tail and fled. They never rallied. The inquisitor then smashed Josh’s wizard and I chipped away at the remaining unit of longhorns. In the end I wiped every beast off the table. The men of the empire were pretty beat up though, the general was dead, the imperial guard and light infantry slaughtered and a unit of knights wiped out. 1 Reiter was left standing and every other unit was hurting. 15-5 for me and I was fully painted so 17-5.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:59 am

How many points was that Inquisitor responsible for?
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh b on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:02 pm

about 700 give or take

Josh b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:40 pm

It was pretty much the perfect storm for him. I won't expect that kind of production every game and I'm sure there will be games where he gives up points and does nothing. Still, he's worth taking and I actually like the freedom of having that 10-knight unit with no characters. It can be a throwaway unit if I need it to be. It is also a juicy enough prize that I can use it as bait to get the matchups that I want or as a buffer to delay units that I can't deal with yet.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:09 pm

Sounds like it could have been more than 700....that thing terrifies me. Smile
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:48 pm

The inquisitor absolutely has the potential to be devastating, especially against certain armies and I think I've got him in the best possible position for my list. That said, in the end he is just a squishy human worth 300 points. With him in my lists I have another tool for dealing with characters and monsters. That kind of tool is something I am missing in a lot of my other armies so it is definitely nice to have.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:15 pm

Carson wrote:Derek and myself threw down last night. 4500pt onslaught lists.

Derek was sporting his new, and much improved, warriors list. Great game ending in an 11-9, 13-11 after painting for the Warriors.

Huge swings throughout the game. Couple of key moments were my failed attempt to bust through a block of forsworn sloth with my general and bsb/vermin guard block allowing a nice juicy flank charge from the chaos lord. This was nicely balanced out by my Seer getting pissed off bottom of 6 and netting around 2000pts in 1 magic phase Very Happy

Derek will have a much better report I'm sure.

It was a really fun battle. I made a massive tactical error on turn two when I charged his General and went into a challenge and died horribly..bad move, the Rats were laughing at me.
I pushed right up as I knew I had to get into combat, the rats had way more unit than the Warriors and I basically had no magic and Carson has been leaning heavily on the winds of magic lately.
By turn three my plan was sort of working, the rats had killed many more followers of the Dark Gods but I was in good positions and winning melee's. If he would just break!!!!
By turn 6 I had most of his unit on the run and had a really good victory coming my way. But in the bottom of 6 the Rats magic lashed out and laid low the Warriors of the Dark Gods. With three spells the Rat Wizard killed my Chosen Lord BSB, the last of my Warriors and a Chariot. Shocked By killing the Warriors I lost the secondary....holy crap...he killed 2000pts and I lost the secondary in the bottom of turn 6 with his sickly cowardly Rat Wizard...ack...
It was a lesson I tell ya....well done Carson.
So in the end this bloody battle came down to only about a 280pt spread.
A Pyrrhic if ever there was one.
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:23 am

Me and Brian had a game
Ogres vs Wotdg.

Battleline, and whatever the #4 objective was. Hold terrain.

Victory for me and I had secondary. 20-0.

Was a perfect storm for the Ogres. Brian ran a cool Wrath / Sloth list but the problem was the wrath units out ran the sloth units and I got lucky with some long charges that saw his general and unit of sloth Warriors fighting off both my main ogre blocks and a giant who all got the charge. My impacts took out a row of warriors and I managed some spells off and lost a few ogres. And managed to run down the general, wizard and last champion who survived the onslaught. The bombardiers didnt do much this game. I almost lost 6 Bombardiers in close combat against one Skullcrusher. Ld test on a 5 saved me. Was a fun game. Definitely gotta keep cracking away at painting.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh b on Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:15 am

by Josh b
nathan and i got a game is last night
rolled snake eyes on the deplorment and the objective
i brought the beast herds and nathan fielded his highborn elves
i was really caught off guard with his army as it was a heavy hitting elf army as i planned to try and out manoever him with a more mobile army. that didnt work as well as i thought but things changed early in the game
turn one was nothing crazy as we were just posturing up and moving a little bit a couple failed charges here and there nothing crazy turn two he got his chariot into combat with my spears and thy held for a turn. turn three was different top of the turn i declared some charges with the minotaurs and the centaurs and nathan fled for most of them including with one of his units of cav that ran through his giant unit of speers with his bab and wizard they failed two holes of disiplin 9 and ran off the table that was the tsn turning point however with nathan being a very good and tactical player he brought his general and his frost pheonix to the flabk of my minotaurs and duked it out with the warlord and his boys minos ended up winning the combat after a few rounds and then getting a full frontal smash into his sword masters and with a +3 agility buff they were able to take 10 of them of them off the table along with some impacts kills from them and the chariot they took them all out in one try but for nathan in the same turn the dragon princes proved why they are one of the best cav units off the charge they rammed into my big block of longhorns with my general and killed 12 they broke and he chases them down getting their revenge for their general
at that point though there wasnt really much left for nathan to do with his two remaing dragon princes
it was a bloody battle and a great game
nathan is a very good player and fun to watch
beast 16 highborn elves 4
i got the secondary and he was fully painted
19-3 for the beast herds

Josh b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:05 am

Those spears that ran off the table had my wizard and bsb in them as well. The unit cost close to 2000 points all-in. That unit of 5 silverhelms that caused the fateful panic lost me the game. The turn before they had failed a charge on his chariot. If I'd made that charge I think things would have gone very differently. My swordmasters also failed a very makeable charge against his minotaurs which might have saved my general. Oh well, that's why we roll dice.

Josh sells himself short, he played a solid game and pounced on my weaknesses. Thanks again for hosting, it was a fun game.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh b on Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:23 pm

sam and i got a game in over the weekend
it was a short but bloody battle he deployed very well this game
there really wasnt a week point in his line that i thought i could break through i got a little lucky with a flank charge on his tower guard with a unit of wildhorna and going in countinf 7 i was able to break them and chase them off the field after that i was able to get a bunch of charges off and won all of them aama dice were simply against him this time his highligh of the game turn two he shot a bolt right the chest of my caster and ended my magic right off the bat so i had to get in there and fight
the horns of chaos were able to take the day and get a victory
16-4 was the score and i got the secondary
beast herds 19
dread elves 1

Josh b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:51 pm

Ha love the bolt thrower action. That crew gets a promotion, but it sounds like they might not have survived
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh b on Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:22 pm

not so much

Josh b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:36 am

Well Wed night before I ended up spending the night int he hospital Sam and I had a battle. Still trying to catch up on my sleep Shocked

Sam B Dread Elves vs Derek B Warriors of the Dark Gods 5000pts

We played Encircle with King of the hill as the secondary.

I had an itch to play after the tourney on the weekend. I kept my tourney list and added some more Warriors to accommodate Core requirements and I added a Chosen Chariot. Sammy had a solid list with no magic, a couple of monsters and maxed out the bolt throwers.

I dropped after a couple of deployments and took first and moved up, I was not too worried about the bolt throwers, you cant worry abou the sky falling, but I was concerned of his Tower Guard and monsters (hydra and kracken). I moved my units to charge his monsters and my feldraks feld to setup a counter charge. Dread Elf turn 1 his bolt throwers did 3 wounds to my Lord affraid affraid affraid My turn two I charged my Lord and chariot into a hydra and killed it but my Lord died and with my giant and feldraks fleeing I basically lost the left flanks and 1000pts.... Shocked Shocked Meanwhile he had been picking off my chariots and pushing my left flank.

So through 3 turns it looked really bad for the devotees of the Dark Gods. My Barbarian Horseman said NO...they killed a Bolt throwe then overran, then charged the Tower Guard in the flank...one barbarian died but they killed a couple of elves...but the Tower Guard is Steadfast and they were stubborn with a character in the front rank....he rolled an 11 then I forget why but he rerolled and rolled another 11 and The Tower Guard Block ran from 2 Barbarian Horsemen and got run down Twisted Evil Twisted Evil affraid BOOM My Warriors killed some Executioners and some raptor Dread Knights....things looked really good for the Warriors of the Dark Gods by turn 5. mopping up operations were in place.

However, when we counted it all up it was closer than I thought. My General was huge points. His General was not a huge point drain and he did die in the unit of Dread knights. It was a fun battle with a lot of highs and lows and his Bolt Throwers kicked ass this battle.
Sadly I did not get the secondary, damn elves are too quick.

Sam B Dread Elves 7 vs Derek B Warriors of the Dark God 13
Sammy got the secondary and I was all painted. So it was a draw...ack
Sam B 10 vs Derek B 12
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:32 am

Hospital?

I changed my Onslaught list also. Dropped the Titan and replaced with Giant, bigger Tauruck Anointed unit and more flintlocks. That Titan is just too many points.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:17 pm

squalie wrote:Hospital?

My old lady...Renee.. had an accident...in the dark in the back ally with two big dogs and a car came around the corner and scared the dogs and they ran and into her and knocked her right into the hospital....was a long night. She is alright, leg brace, cane and bruises but it is healing.

I changed my Onslaught list also. Dropped the Titan and replaced with Giant, bigger Tauruck Anointed unit and more flintlocks. That Titan is just too many points.

I am thinking about a second Giant for my list and perhaps some Flayers and Warhounds.
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:52 pm

Josh and I got a battle in today after the Steelers beat the Ravens Twisted Evil

Josh Beast Herds vs Derek Warriors of the Dark Gods 5000pts

We played counterthrust with capture the flags as the secondary.

I was worried about his ambushing units and deployed my Feldraks and a chariot at an angle on the far right. on my left I placed two chariots, my Giant and my Barbarian Horsemen on my left, countering his Gargant, and horde block of Beastmen with his general and BSB in it. I placed my Barbarians, Warriors and Forsworn on my left thinking I would sweep the flank.
This plan did not work out perfectly lol. I moved up on turn one and two of his ambushing units cam on the battlefield behind my main unit. I moved two chariots around to engage an ambushing unit and moved my Giant to get his one Hellfire spell off not worrying about the ambushing units. His centaurs charged my Forsworn and killed 3 of them, in exchange the centaurs were wiped out. At the end of the battle I had one Forsworn Warrior remaining Very Happy In my lone magic phase I did one wound to the Beastman Shaman who would evade capture or engagement for the rest of the battle. On the Beastman turn two one of his ambushing units charged my Giant, I miscalculated...overthunk it...and fled and was run down affraid I should have taken the charge....damn On my right my Feldraks had a solid flank charge into his other ambushing unit and my Lord on the Chimera had failed a charge into the flank of his Minotaurs. affraid
So in the following turn his Beastmen block charges my Lord and I challenge out his General...I only do one wound and lose combat by three but I hold on a 5...I actually forgot I use 3 dice with Pride on a minimized roll...dodged a bullet. I later tried to charge my BSB out of the Warriors unit and into the combat to assist the Lord but He failed and later ended up rejoining the Warriors. The Feldraks and the Minos got into it and after a couple of rounds of combat the Feldraks fell but the Doombull with 2 wounds left was killed by my Warriors. In the second round of combat with my Lord and his General I once again lost...took two wounds...but I remembered my Favor of Pride and rolled a 1,1 and 2 so I held. Twisted Evil But then my Lord killed his General and he broke and I chased his unit but did not catch him and took a DT landing in a forest. Later on the Beastmen were chased off the table Twisted Evil
Things went well for the Warriors of the Dark Gods and in the end all that was left for the Beastmen was the wounded Shaman.
I had better deployment and only made perhaps one or two bonehead moves lol
Always have fun playing and Josh has a very hard army...the totems are nasty.

Josh B Beast Herds 7 vs Derek B Warriors of the Dark Gods 13
I got the secondary and was fully painted.
Josh 4 vs Derek 18
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BTENDER on Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:24 am

Had some family bonding today, Josh came over and we decided to play a 5000 point match. Finally got that elusive first win against him! Changed up my list and made it a bit faster. Getting my dark raiders on his flank by turn 2, had him thinking the entire time. Thought I had it by turn 3, but with some bad rolling and a huge charge by his generals unit into my tower guard, I thought the table turned and I was going down. Realized by sacrificing a few guys and losing the battle, by the end it would mean that I win the war. With plenty of shooting and some well placed movements, by the end he had one unit left. With neither of us capturing the secondary, my Dread Elves took the victory 14-6.

BTENDER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:22 am

Sam came over last night and faced off against my Empire. He brought a fast, hard-hitting list with a giant scary unit of tower guard. Fortunately my steam tank and knights had a grand old time smashing dark raider units on one flank and on the other my cannon was dialed in killing 2 bolt throwers and a raptor chariot. My reiters also did their job, taking out a hunting chariot early in the game. My knights and inquisitor blasted their way through his dread knights but then found themselves skewered on the pointy end of a unit of spearelves. Sam's tower guard and a kraken plowed their way through my imperial guard but found themselves sandwiched between my steam tank and knights of the sun griffon. He fought gamely and killed my general but in the end were wiped out. The end of the game saw my steam tank, cannon and 2 knights of the sun griffon standing on an objective while across the table a single kraken with 2 wounds left eyed them up nervously.

It was a messy, bloody battle and really back and forth. Sam was a great opponent and the game went really quickly and seamlessly. We started at 8:30 and I think we were done before 11. The difference in points was 11.8% for a 12-8 victory for me. I managed to take the secondary with my last remaining scoring unit and was fully painted so the final score was 17-5 for me.

With that game I've played everyone in the league except for Sean and Brian. I'm going to need to make a trip down to Moose Jaw sometime to play those two.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterW on Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:32 am

Josh and I met up at the Den for a scrap yesterday, Beast Herds vs. Warriors. Marching Columns deployment put me at an advantage before units were even placed. While a bloody battle to be sure, there were lots of fleeing troops this game, Beastmen, Giants, Forsworm...but not Warhounds. Passing a terror test of Disc 5 allowed my unit of warhounds to hold strong and seriously mess with the Beastman plan, allowing for a slow but powerful wave of Warriors troops to crush the opponents in their path.

Notable moments aside from the warhounds included my Forsworn getting wrecked by some Centaurs and fleeing from combat halfway across the board on stubborn 8 reroll. Then we had two turns of magic phases in succession where I not only managed to get three buff/hex spells off each turn but Josh was unable to get any off.

A couple big swings here and there, but for the most part things, dice included, swayed positively towards the Warriors of the Dark Gods.  A good time as always and thanks again for the game, Josh!

Final Score: Peter - 16. Josh - 4
No secondary taken.
PeterW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:10 pm

Made a road trip and played a game at Sean’s place. He and Brian have quite the hobby room. With a little TLC it could be an incredible space. We played our onslaught armies, rolled up dawn assault and capture the flag secondary. Things started out fairly slow, my reiters got blasted right off the bat. Things picked up as my steam tank got stuck in against his mournfangs. He did 6 wounds to it first round but the steamtank ground away and wiped the mournfangs out without taking another wound. A well-timed break the spirit on my imperial guard meant that I wasn’t able (willing) to charge with the imperial guard to help save my knights from his ironguts. When I did get the charge though I did 27 wounds and wiped out the full unit.

Turn 6 Sean fled from 2 charges from my imperial guard and then in his turn he ended up 1 wound away from getting half points for my imperial guard. We ended up with an 8% difference in points so those extra points he would have gotten from that one wound were probably the difference between a loss and a tie.

I got the secondary and we were both fully painted so the final score was 16-8 for me. Thanks for hosting Sean!
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:06 am

Was super awesome to get a quick game in with Nathan, we got the whole thing done in right around 2 hours. Always appreciate a Saskatoon guy stopping for a game in MJ. Was definitely a good bloody game, still have no answers for the empire army. Yes if the game room got a little TLC it would be a pretty good place to game, probably fit 4-6 tables in there would be my guess? Only Don and Nathan have seen it now.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh b on Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:49 am

nathan and i got a game in last night 4500 points
beastherds vs empire battle of the old world
we got a frontline clash and king of the hill for the secondary
we lined up with my longhorns and minotaurs together in the cnetre with the chariot and gotach on the left flank and the centaurs on the far right
nathan lined up matching my formation with his griffon knights and imperial across from my two units had his two units of knights towards to the left flank with one matching my centaurs and his steam tank, canon, and reiters all the left flank turn one i just moved up and postured my gortach on the flank i charged his reiters with the centaurs and failed it his firat turn not much happened as he deployed facing his side of the table to counteract my ambuahers but i didnt bring them on until turn 2 so he reformed everyone to face from his canon and reiters took out a minotaur in his shooting phase
my turn is when the action started i charged his griffon knights with my minotaurs which had my general in it the minotaur warlord and they got through them in one try my centaurs charged his unit of knights with no character in them and made them flee (they never rallied)
his turn 2 he charged my longhorns with his imperial guard and i fled getting out of range for him to redirect anywhere so it lined a three way charge from the chariot, gortach, and a unit of wildhorns from the reer his reiters charged my shaman overran through him and into my longhorns with the bsb and killed them that really really sucked but that how she goes reiters were his mvp's this game
highlights after that his knights with his inquisitor and prelate charged my minotaurs and killed them after a few rounds the gortach, my chariot, and two units of wildhorns ended up finished off his inperial guard after 5 or so rounds of combat
very last play of the game his steam tank shot a canon ball across the battle feild and killed the gortach which ended up making the game a tie
it was an awesome battle and very bloody
ended up being a tie
i got the secondary making it 13-7 and he was painted
13 for beastherds
9 for the empire

Josh b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down