Summer league 2018

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Re: Summer league 2018

Post  Mhael on Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:02 pm

I got 2 games in today.
First Sean and I duked it out, my slayer/ranger list against his duel sphynxes in refused flank with secure targets. I got the upper hand early on but Sean stuck in there and scored a major hit with a combo charge that broke my greybeards with general and bsb for a 1700pt swing. I then shot the 2 sphynxes and remaining chariot and took secondary for a 16 to 4 win.

Next up Brian and I played dawn atk with breakthrough. We were locked in combat across the board turn 2 and the dwarfs made a hard push. We did have a long drawn out fight between my greybeards and Brians elite dinos, they finally popped the unit but I got away, rallyed, charged, died, and my general got run down for an 1100pt swing. We split the secondary for a 14 to 6 win for the stunties.
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:41 am

I also got In two games yesterday

First was against Brian and his Suarians. Highlight of this game was a massive slow grind in the center of the table. Brian had two massive blocks of warriors with spears and serpent upgrades and a bsb keeping every thing in check. I had two massive skeleton blocks a narrow guard block a vamp and a bsb. All of these units were locked in the same combat for 4 rounds until they finally split apart forming two separate combats. At that point I brought in my vampire spawn to help out the last 2 Barrow guard and tried to bring in my narrow knights to help out the two skeleton blocks. The barrow guard died but the warriors broke and were chased down. A turn later the other warrior block broke and got away. This left my spawn open to a charge from his camians, one of my skeleton blocks open to a charge from his alpha carnasour general. And his warrior block with bsb open to a charge from my barrow knights with vamp. This was a bloddy battle but in the end the vampires brought back enough guys to absorb the damage and won the day.

19-1 for dom

Next ga.e was against Carson and the rats. Carson needs new dice , and until he buys some he is an easy target ,
😁. I thought I got some early good momentum with the barrow knights charging his general , making him flee but her away, and letting me over run into his rat ogres. I would chase the ogres away overrunning into his general again but the second time fighting the rat genera would prove fatal to the knights and the vamp inside crumbled to dust.

After this I charged his clan rats with skeleton spears and bsbsand his storm vermin with skeleton with sword and board and vamp. We would be locked in this spot for three rounds, with Carson bringing in the bell to the flank of vamp unit and later the a bomb in to the rear. I won the fight against clan rats and chased them down and the got charged by the rat general. ( doing the final 2 wound turn six ). The vamp did not fair quite as well, if he had suffered only one less wound in the bottom of six, he would have been alive for points at the e d of the game . Else where I got his room wheel and cannon as well as the second unit of clan rats with my barrow guard.

In the end we calculated the points up with only havi g a 175 point difference and a tie for secondary as well. Hell of a game to be had and both of us have not had a game so close in a long time.

10-10 final
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:51 pm

I finally got a battle with Sean.

I have not played Tomb Kings in well over a decade and it was fun.

We played the Encircle Deployment with Hold the Ground Secondary.

Sean   Undying Dynasties    vs    Derek   Warriors of the Dark Gods    5000pts

There was a lot of terrain on the battlefield and it played a factor with bottling up and splitting the combat zones. On my far left but more on Sean's side was a river and lake/pond, there was a hill in my center and a building and forest in Sean's and on my right flank was another building and some fencing.

I got turn one and moved forward. Sean had a Sphinx on each flank...Res 8 is nasty and he has two large blocks in the center with a Colossus (Undead Giant) that is very nasty. His one large block had a BSB and General in it and the other block had the Hirophant on some big chariot like platform. He also had some archer units and two units of 3 chariots and some skeleton cav.
I felt confidant going into the battle, my army is very tough with everything except my sacrificial unit of Barbarians being Res 5.
I deployed horribly lol Using the Wasteland Torch Icon on one of my Warrior units I changed his forest into ruins...but my Warriors were too out of place to capitalize on it and well I deploy very poorly. His Sphinx's were able to eat much of my army. In the center I had a Exalted Herald and my General on a Chimera. I wanted to go in and kill his General and BSB with those two character, well my Exalted Herald failed 2 charges and got hammered but arrows and took wwwaaayyy too many wounds - to the extant that when he did get into combat with one wound left he died very quickly. My General slammed into some chaffy archers and then the block winning combat. When the Exalted Herald finally got in also I had won combat by like 17 and the unit was gone. My Herald died though affraid My general slammed into the other block that has the Hirophant in it and he challenged me and I cut him down but since the unit was so big I still lost combat and fled and failed to rally twice and finally did rally on my last turn Shocked No
My Fledraks took out some archers and got a flank charge on a Sphinx, but through two rounds of combat I did one wound which he healed and after killing my Feldraks it got a flank charge on my Warrior unit with my Sorcerer....ugh... affraid his other Sphinx dominated the other flank and my Big Giant Spawn Monster was greatly outclassed and destroyed by his Colossus...yup.
My Magic was poor to horrible, turn one I got the Wrath of God off and it did some wounds but over all I believe I got one more spell off. Poor rolling on my part. I actually put a box of dice away after turn two and opened another....I should have brought more dice than that even affraid

Sean was a very good opponent and fun to play against - and he has a Jeep, so he's cool Cool . I hope to see him on the tabletop battlefield more and look forward to going to Moose jaw the next time people head out there.
In the end all I had left was my Lord on the Chimera. The Undying Dynasties has formidable magic and Sean plays the magic phase very well. I will do better next time and think about deployment more and I have come to respect those Sphinx's. The multiple early wounds via his crazy skeleton archers on my Exalted Herald did really change the battle....that big guy should be able to do some damage but those wounds forced my hand. Oh, I did kill the Hirophant on turn 3-4 but most of his army has decent leadership - not like the Vampire Covenant and he did not lose many models to dust at all.

Sean   Undying Dynasties  13   vs    Derek   Warriors of the Dark Gods   7
no one got the secondary - I was fully painted
Sean  Undying Dynasties  13   vs   Derek  Warriors of the Dark Gods  9
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:47 am

I played Andre last night with my men of the Empire facing off with Andre's Seeker and Ranger dwarf list.  We rolled up marching columns and secure target as the secondary.

Andre closed quickly for dwarfs with 2 scouting units and 2 vanguarding units.  We were in combat by bottom of 1 and stayed that way until bottom of 6 with our units grinding away at each other.  In the end I finished off both of his units of seekers, killed a unit of rangers and had the other one run away in panic.  I also ground through his greybeards only to bounce off his marksmen and run away (but luckily the stunties couldn't catch my fleeing wolf cavalry).  It was enough in the end though, I took the 14-6 victory.

I also took the secondary and I was fully painted for a final score of 19-3 for me.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:43 pm

Sam and I got a Battle in the other night.

Sam Dread Elves vs Derek Warriors of the Dark Gods

We played Marching Columns with Hold the Ground as the Secondary.

I have a much smaller army than Sammy so I thought I would have the advantage of the deployment type.

His shooting was powerful this battle. By turn 2 he had given my Exalted Herald 4 wounds from crossbows. I took his ever scary Tower Guard out early with a couple of units and my Lord on a Chimera. His Kracken kicked ass and took out my Giant and both units of Warriors. His Reaper Bolt throwers did nothing until turn 5 but took out my chariot and Forsaken.

On the end I was over powered by magic and out damaged by shooting. I feel I match up very well against the Dread Elves but if they can rely on decent shooting for at least half the battle that is devastating.

Sam Dread Elves 12 vs Derek Warriors of the Dark Gods 8
Sammy got the secondary but Derek was all painted
Sam Dread Elves 15 vs Derek Warriors of the Dark Gods 7
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:49 am

Pics

Carson and I had a game last night with my Empire facing his Skaven.  We rolled refused flank with a capture the flags secondary.  I advanced quickly and first turn my reiters shot down his skaven engineer-type character.  I was threatening his soft shooting units with my reiters and some knights of the sun griffon so Carson moved his general over to protect them.

My second turn I charged his general with both units (reiters into the flank and griffon knights to the front).  I took him down to 1 wound but he killed all my reiters.  On the other side my knights and steam tank advanced into charge range of his abomination and rat ogres.  Carson obliged by charging my knights with his rat ogres and my steam tank with the abomination.  His cannon also misfired and exploded, that was a nice turn of events for me.  The abomination did 4 wounds to the steam tank while the tank did one back.  The rat ogres didn't do well, only causing three wounds while my knights knocked off 2 rat ogres, winning by 4, breaking the rat ogres, catching them and making it into the flank of the abomination.  On the other side Carson's general killed a griffon knight but then my remaining knight put the last wound on the general.

In my turn 3 I charged my general and a unit of griffon knights into the abomination and my lone griffon knight on the other side charged his jezzails.  My cannon did 3 wounds to the bell.  In the combat with his abomination I took off all but 1 of his wounds while he finished off my steam tank.  My griffon knight champion wiped out the jezzails.  Carson's turn he charged a unit of clanrats into the flank of my knights in the abomination combat and in the magic phase did 3 wounds to my other unit of knights causing them to flee.  Combat saw my general finish off the abomination's last wound and I did a wound or two to the clanrats but he managed 1 wound on my knights and with static combat resolution he won by 4.  My knights fled and were caught and the clanrats overran into my general's unit of griffon knights.

In my turn 4 I tried a charge against Carson's other clanrat unit with my Imperial Guard who failed.  My lone griffon knight charged the flank of his vermin guard unit hoping to hold them up for a turn.  My fleeing knights rallied.  My cannon misfired and exploded but my handgunner champion did a wound to the Bell with his long rifle.  In combat my griffon knights and general hammered the clanrats but they remained steadfast and held.  My griffon knight on the other side was beat down by his rat ogre-mounted bsb.  In his turn he moved up with his vermin guard, trying to goad the charge out of me.  His clanrats moved up to support his other clanrat unit.  Combat saw my griffon knights chew through more clanrats but he remained steadfast and held on a 6.

My turn I 5 elected not to charge and instead moved my knights up to threaten the flank of his vermin guard.  My griffon knights finished off his one unit of clanrats and turned to accept the charge of the second unit.  In Carson's turn 5 his vermin guard charged my imperial guard and his clanrats charged my griffon knights.  The imperial guard soaked up the damage but Carson rolled poorly and only managed 10 wounds, 2 on my marshall and 8 imperial guard.  I hit back hard causing 14 wounds.  He still managed to hold somehow.  Actually, now that I think about it I think we might have done that wrong because both our units were in line formation so neither could be steadfast.  I counted 14 wounds, 2 banners to his 10 wounds and 2 banners so I won by 4, his BSB has a discipline of 6 and I don't know if safety in numbers counts for line formation.  If it does that must be what happened because he rolled a 4 and stuck around.  In the other combat his clanrats rolled good and I rolled poorly for my armour saves and my griffon knights lost combat by 1.  I fled but wasn't caught.

My turn 6 I charged my knights into the flank of his vermin guard and rallied my general and remaining griffon knight champion.  They turned to face the inevitable charge.  In combat my knights and imperial guard fought to a minor victory for me but he held again.  My bsb fell in that round.  In Carson's turn 6 he charged his clanrats into my griffon knights and in combat I fought him to a draw.  The vermin guard finished off the last of the imperial guard and my knights were unable to wipe out the vermin guard.  I think that combat was also a draw.

When the dust cleared it was a draw with Carson taking 24 points more from me.  had we played it out to the last man I think my general and griffon knight would have ground their way through the clanrats and then threatened the bell's unit while the vermin guard and bsb would have eventually chewed through my knights.  My handgunners might have been able to finish off the vermin guard but the bsb would have given them trouble.  It might have ended up with my general and his BSB as the last two models on the table.  Anyway, it was a fun game that came right down to the wire.  Carson managed to take the secondary, killing 3 of my scoring units while I only killed 2 of his.

10-10 becoming 13-7 for Carson and I was fully painted for a final score of 13-9.

I am interested in that turn 5 combat, it all comes down to two questions: Can units in line formation be steadfast?  Can a vermin swarms player add line formation ranks to their leadership for safety in numbers?  If the answer is yes to either (or both) questions then it was played correctly.  Looking at the rules for steadfast, strength in numbers and line formation I am thinking we might have got it right.  Line formation just says that the unit can't add rank bonus to combat resolution.  Steadfast and strength in numbers just says "full ranks", not rank bonus so I'm guessing a line formation rank still counts as a full rank for everything other than combat resolution.  I may have played that wrong in the past.  Regardless, it was a great game and if we all learned something (or maybe just me) then all the better.

Last edited by nathanr on Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:44 am; edited 2 times in total
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:01 am

Great write up Nathan, very accurate.

I do get to add ranks to my leadership, even while in line, so that was how I was able to hold. It was very lucky dice rolling on 2-3 break tests that allowed me to hold and claw out a tie.

Not only does Nathans army look great on the table, It is a tough army on the table. Congrats!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:32 am

I agree Nathan has a great Army. solid list, looks great and very thematic.

Sounds like a tight battle.

Those damn rats.
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:37 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Carson, I questioned it as I was doing the write-up but after reading the rules more closely I agree that your strength in numbers works in line formation and I think steadfast does too which is not how I’d been playing it before. I’m glad we got it right.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh b on Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:20 pm

sam and had a game lastweek it was bloody and close great battle ended up being 13 for the beast herds and 7 for the dread elves

Josh b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:05 pm

Carson and I got a late night battle in.

We played Counter-thrust with Spoils of War as the Secondary.

We were both very wary of each others forces. Carson was able to get a couple of solid flank charges and really dominate the magic phases.

Despite me having 3 magic casters, I'm thinking once again my deployment was not up to task. I had no support for my Lord and chariot that crashed into his big block of Storm Vermin with his BSB. Eventually the Lord was dragged down by the rats....3 rounds of combat I only did two wounds to the BSB. That Screaming Bell was working over time and the -2 to my Off and Def on all units within 18" was huge. Plus I don's have any real grind units. His ranks were nasty yo deal with.

In the end his General ran from my Exalted Herald and Sorcerer and my Warrior units surprised bu they were down to only a few models each.
The Screaming Bell and the Rattlings guns are nasty.

He got me by 900 points but I had secondary. More thinking on my part next time. I was having too much fun lol

Carson Vermin Swarm 13 vs Derek Warriors of the Dark Gods 7
I got secondary and was fully painted
Carson Vermin Swarm 10 vs Derek Warriors of the Dark Gods 12

Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:30 am

I played a game against Pete's Warriors yesterday morning. Pete brought the pain and my charges were not effective. In the end it all came down to turn 6. I charged his remaining units with my remaining units and in each instance I lost. My knights of the sun griffon bounced off his bsb who was down to one wound (all caused by my general in turn 2), My knights and prelate bounced off his once chosen and my imperial guard and his warriors hacked each other to bloody bits but the warriors were a bit more efficient. The remaining 6 imperial guard and prelate stuck around to be obliterated in the bottom of the turn. It was a fun game, my only model left on the table at the end was my steam tank who was also my mvp, killing his giant, chosen knights and vortex beast. I also narrowly missed a charge on his wizard, I chose to roll 4d3 instead of 5d3, not sure why. I was 1/4" short on my charge.

Pete ended up with a 16-4 win, he got the secondary for 19-1 and we were both painted so the final score was 21-3.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterW on Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:03 pm

Turn one having one of your knight units flee off of the table did not help the situation either. Razz Indeed it was a fun game, that steam tank proving once again to be very difficult for me to deal with. I love when a game comes down to the bone in turn 6 like this game did. I look forward to the next meet on the battlefield!
PeterW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:45 am

I got a battle in with Andre on Monday at Carson's place.

Andre M     Dwarven Holds     vs    Derek B   Warriors of the Dark Gods    5000pts

We played Dawn Assault with Spoils of War as the Secondary.

It was a close battle with me trying to pick my opponents properly. I always lament that I deployed poorly.
This was not the case. I was fortunate to be making many many Armor Saves and Aegis Saves while whiffing on my attacks.
He had killed off about 3 of my units when I killed wiped out his General in a large block of Gray Beards. The battle was really close with both of us being very wary of each other and vying for position with our units. His Slayers were a thorn, as always but I took out a small unit of them while the other unit munched my Warriors.

Then I made a huge mistake on rules with my Exalted Herald...My own fault I didn't know the rules for my own unit....I'm an idiot.

20.A.29 Supernal
The model gains Magical Attacks. In addition, the model gains Unstable, with the following exception: when a unit
consisting entirely of models with Supernal loses a combat, the unit must take a Break Test (Stubborn or Steadfast
units ignore modifiers from Combat Score difference as normal). If the Break Test is passed, ignore all Health Points
that would be lost due to Unstable. If the Break Test is failed, follow the rules for Unstable as normal.

So my Exalted Herald died as I passed my Stubborn test but I thought I took wounds from losing the combat....800pts ..ugh.

In the end Andre beat me by just over 900pts for a 13-7 victory. But I did mange to get the secondary.

So kids....don't be a dummy like me, know the rules for your units lol

Andre  Dwarven Holds   13  vs   Derek  Warriors of the Dark Gods  7
I got the secondary and was fully painted.
Andre 10 vs  Derek 12

Last edited by Derek on Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:14 am

Later that night on holiday Monday I had another battle...a big one. 18,000 pts.

Josh Beast Herd & Derek Warriors of the Dark Gods vs Sam Dread Elves
Josh and I fielded 4500 pt armies while Sammy put down 9000pts of Dread Elves.

This battle field was tightly packed. We played Counter Thrust with Breakthrough as the Secondary.

Josh didn't get his big units into battle unit like turn 5 while I did most of the damage early on. The battle really turned on turn 2 when Sammy's massive unit of Towerguard panicked off the table affraid affraid wow that was huge....it opened up the center of the battle. The Dread Elves lost a few minor engagements but due to the packed nature of the battlefield units popped through others and multiple panic tests were being taken - and Sam was rolling high. Shocked Sam had some bad luck, he had 3 Reaper Bolt Throwers and another Bolt Thrower on a Hunter Chariot and he only hit twice all battle. Things did not look good for Sam at all as the Monsters of the Dark Gods marched on him. However on turn 5 he turned things around and won some engagements including killing Josh's DoomBull. I was cocky after the TowerGuard death and didn't move my units properly as my monsters and Lord were doing all the work. This cost me later as they were out of position when I could have taken out his Sorceress on the Pegasus. There were so many units on the battle field I didn't think to move them ack.
In the last two turns Sam's Dragon ate a bunch of Beasts and my General died a violent death.

Josh Beast Herds & Derek Warriors of the Dark Gods 13 vs Sam Dread Elves 7
No one got the secondary - armies were not fully painted.

Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:28 am

Derek we actually split the secondary. I had 2 of 3 scoring units alive and was unable to get through all the wounds on your unit in the forest ruins to take a second scoring unit from you so remains 13 to 7
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:32 pm

That giant game sounds awesome. Sam was telling me you guys do that sometimes. Sounds so cool.

Sorry haven't posted my games yet. Work blocked this site as "gaming" and I'm not typing that whole report on my phone. So details to follow. Both games were tons of fun. Got to meet Sam a fellow Jeep owner so automatically a cool guy Razz. I enjoy these quick trips to saskatoon for a couple games

Carson Skaven vs Sean Ogres
Victory for Sean 17-3
I was painted so 19-3

Sam Dread Elves vs Sean Ogres
Victory for Sean 17-3
I was painted so 19-3

Both games I had the secondary which pushed me from 14-6 to 17-3
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:28 pm

Dom and I got a battle in at the Den on Sunday. We were surrounded by 40K laser fiends but we made it out alive.

Dom    Vampire Covenants    vs     Derek   Warriors of the Dark Gods

We played Encircle with King of the Hill as the Secondary.

I took the same army list I have played for awhile now. Dom had a different list than I have seen him play. But then Dom and I have not played since the last league. I liked his list and if I had a Vampire army it is very close to what I would field. Big nasty vampire in a unit of Blood Knight, two massive units of skeletons, huge unit of barrow guard, a corpse wagon and a unit of direwolves and vampires - the big winged ones, not sure of the name.

After a few units I dropped....I knew I had to get into him early. I did. I killed his chaffing direwolves with warriors, I took a charge with his vampires into my Feldraks - they fled but they did not not get run down. My Exalted Herald & General on a Chimera hit his knights. My General and his Vampire Lord went into a Duel and the Exalted Herald killed 4 knights (Breath of Corruption Spell on him helped) Very Happy Twisted Evil Twisted Evil. My Exalted herald was out of the fight and I pivoted him away to so he didn't get flanks by a massive unit of Skeletons...I knew they couldn't hurt me but the combat res would be in his favor. I was surprised when he didn't charge the Exalted Herald - next turn my Herald charged his Corpse Wagon and did a couple of wounds but basically whiffed. I was able to move a unit of warriors into the flank of his Vampire Lord. After three rounds of combat my General had two wounds but I did not wound the vampire...but killed him from combat res. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
My giant spawn, the Forsaken One was able to slam into the flank Vampires chasing my Feldraks (2 left) and chewed them up good.
We danced on the left flank and center of the battlefield. On turn 5 I moved my Exalted Herald, General on Chimera (1 wound left), a chariot, my sorcerer and the remaining Feldraks ready to charge into the forest and slam his Barrow Guard. But he charged out into my Feldraks and I was out of position to do any damage on turn 6.
Magic helped, I got a couple key spells off and was able to stop his spells. Its all about killing the Vampire Lord.

Dom   Vampire Covenant  7      vs     Derek  Warriors of the Dark Gods  13
No one got the secondary - both armies painted.
Dom  9     vs  Derek   15
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:33 pm

I ventured out to Pete's new gaming den last night (its upstairs now lol) and it was evil army vs evil army to the death.

Pete    Warriors of the Dark Gods      vs      Derek     Warriors of the Dark Gods     4500pts

We rolled up Counter-thrust with the Spoils of War secondary.

Terrain was pretty even with two forests, a tower, two small hills and a ruin. I cast some magic and using the Wasteland Torch I turned a large forest in his deployment zone into a ruins.

My army list has stayed the same for a bit but as were playing 4500pts I dropped my Sorcerer and added 3 barbarians to my list and it came out to 4497pts.

Pete had a very interesting army and I should have looked at it a bit more and altered my battle plan. Pete deployed a Hell-maw, two units of direwoles, a forsworn unit with a BSB, Sorcerer on a steed, Giant, a unit of Chosen Knights and a massive block of 30 Warriors with great weapons and a Lord. I should have went after that block of warriors, but I was not excited to engage that unit lol 

Due to the ruins he mostly deployed on the right side and I deployed on my right. I had first turn and moved up ready to get some charges off. Well he had two portals on the ground and poof his warriors jumped in one and teleported behind my lines. That was ok I had planned for it, but my unit of 3 forsworn and then a unit of 11 warriors were not up to the task of his unit of 30 Great Weapon Warriors and Lord. I even had a flank charge with my warriors but only did 4 wounds....I was sword and board...not great. In the center of the battlefield he chaffed me up but I said ok and simply charged everything doing considerable damage to his army. The big fail was my unit of 18 Barbarians getting a flank charge on the giant, doing no wounds and losing combat by 5.... affraid...they fled but rallied and survived the battle - I really thought i would do a couple of wounds. Pete's Giant did die to my Superstar Forsaken One. My Forsaken One did not survive the battle, he perished to magical attacks, but he crushed the Chosen Knights and the Giant before his death. For both of us magic did not play a factor until the later rounds. His Apprentice Sorcerer kept himself alive by running away from everything and was a thorn in my side. By turn 5 I had his block of Warriors surrounded with my Lord on a Chimera, my Forsaken One, a couple of Feldraks, a Chariot, my Giant and my Exalted Herald - they were all poised to charge on turn 6. He ran like a little girl  lol!...His warriors jumped into a portal and poofed to the opposite side of the battlefield. It was the smart play, I had to get lucky to totally wipe out the unit, but I could kill his General that was already weakened. Doing this allowed his Sorcerer to blast his final bits of magic and kill my Forsaken One and get my Lord to one wound...right there he picked up 800pts. affraid affraid
I think we played it wrong though as I had killed his Hell-maw before this and those portals were supposed to explode....next time Pete Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

My Forsaken One was my MVP. The real low light of the battle for me was when his weakened Hell-maw charged a unit of 11 Warriors in the rear (he charged as he was about to die), the Hell-maw did no wounds but I lost by 2 on combat res and dammit I rolled and 11...he chased them down...ugh... affraid affraid These little point losses during and at the end of a battle add up as Pete and I were only 4% difference when we tallied up.

I like Pete's army list and his army is is a really heavy hitting one...its looks great.

Pete   Warriors of the Dark Gods    10      vs      Derek   Warriors of the Dark Gods     10
Pete got the Secondary - damn portals....and we were both fully painted
Pete   15     vs     Derek   9
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterW on Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:49 pm

A great battle to be had indeed! As always I was worried how I'd fair against Derek's take on the WDG with my big infantry blocks and if the Hellmaw would actually be worth its points. It definitely was although I did completely forget to explode the portals upon its death. Did my warriors not teleport the turn before it died? If not even though the gates probably wouldn't have gotten any points in kills it would have largely changed that last turn and I apologize for such a big mistake. A rematch is definitely required either way ;P.

PeterW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:12 pm

No worries....I just need an excuse to get a rematch in lol

Besides I would have most likely taken more than enough wounds from the explosion as I had a number of units close to the portals.

But I'm am looking forward to a rematch...I like my list I might not change it.

Hey guys...being we are playing 9th Age is my manticore WYSIWYG enough for a chimera?? I do hate the GW chimera model. I would like to use it at Onslaught but not if ppl are gonna say its not WYSIWYG.
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:22 pm

Do you have the option to mount your guy on a manticore? If not then I'd say you're fine.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:34 pm

Unfortunately no Manticore's in the Warriors of the Dark Gods Army List.

I'm hoping that it is not an issue, Pete brought up a good point to me last night about how any mini's can be used so it should be fine - it is the correct base size.

Anyone else get any battles in recently? Pete is on holidays I'm sure he is looking for a few more battles.
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterW on Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:36 pm

Funny you mention it, my Saturday night opened up and would love a game or two. I need to get some more 4500 point testing in!
PeterW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:10 pm

Sadly I was not organized enough and got busy with family matters and could take Pete up on that passive offer for a rematch.

**Josh and his lovely Chantel had a little boy - Lucien Brown...so its been hectic Very Happy Very Happy**

That being said Josh and I squeezed a battle in last night.

Josh  Beast Herds   vs     Derek  Warriors of the Dark Gods          4500pts.

We rolled up doubles 3's so we played Counter Thrust and Spoils of War as the Secondary.

The battlefield had a centrally located building and three forests and one field. then Josh placed his Magical Forest between the field and a forest on his left flank.

The Beast Herd army that Josh deploys is solid but he is maxed out in magic items and totems, which I think he should reduce a bit. But it does buff all his units up for combat. It reminds me of a Dwarf army list in that manner. His army had three ambushing units and they are not small units. Two large blocks of 30 longhorns and a smaller unit of some smaller beasties.

We deployed pretty much diagonally across from each other as I was only focused on getting the secondary and placed my Warriors on my far left to do this. The bulk of my army was placed in my center and my Warrior Chariot was located on my right, the only unit I had over there. most of his army was across of my right flank.I dropped my army after the third placement and was able to get first turn. So I moved up across the battlefield securing the one secondary token In the magic phase Josh's Beast Shaman was able to dispel all my crazy spells. On Josh's first turn he moved up also and buffed his units up for the soon to be held combats. Oh did I mention that his three beast ambushing units came onto the battlefield...ack. but I think he placed them poorly. He put one large block on each side of my Barbarian block - that unit looks awesome but it not really dangerous. So in my turn two I moved my Forsaken One back to the Longhorns to grind them up, alas I fell just short and in the next turn both units of Longhorns charged my unbreakable monster Twisted Evil This was good an bad...his primal whatever its called giving him re-rolls blows lol and despite trying him up for three turns he eventually killed my Forsaken One and my Barbarians (that charged the flank of a Longhorn unit) did jack-all and they fled too. The upshot is that these unit were tied up all battle and my Barbarians rallied  and survived the battle Very Happy I had sacrificed my Warrior Chariot in a charge to do some wounds on his Minotaurs...only did 2 and his Beast Man Shaman kept jumping around near death but I could not get him.
So Josh had a massive Horde Block of some nasties with his BSB and General in the unit, I did eventually kill the unit but my General on his trusty Chimera perished in the the multi round battle. A highlight for the Beasts were the Minotaurs. The unit only had a Champion but they are nasty with the charge. After losing a couple brethren to the Exalted Herald the Minotaurs got angry and ripped apart my big daemon affraid affraid

It was a fun battle and there were many ward saves made and break tests passed which aggravated Josh and his hat bore the brunt of his frustrations lol!
I got most of his army but my General and Exalted Herald are worth almost as much as Pete's Warrior block Laughing Shocked Laughing and in the end only 216pts separated us.

I liked my deployment but once again I played the silly lone wolf game - letting my units duke it out one on one. I have to maneuver better and attack together to be more successful. Josh has a solid list and a cool army with a lot of hitting power.

Josh  Beast Herd   10    vs     Derek   Warriors of the Dark Gods  10
I got the secondary and was full painted.
Josh  Beast Herds  7      vs     Derek    Warriors of the Dark Gods  15
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next