Summer league 2018

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Summer league 2018

Post  Mhael on Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:42 pm

Sammie brought his dread elves over for a 5000pt game. Spoils of war in marching columns.
Sammie had a well balanced list with vanguards, fast movers, heavy hitters, block units and shooting. He forgot to bring the right dice however which hindered his ability in the shooting phase.
Also he accepted a charge by my seekers on harpies which they annhilated and overran into his sole caster. He did counter charhe with a block of spears and later his general with raptor unit. The seekers proved their worth chewing through spears to break the general, after a vengeance seeker came in to help and chased them off the table.
My dragon seeker and seeker unit killed off his other block unit and turned to accept a combo front charge by a chariot and kraken. They got some help from another vengeance seeker and together took both down.
I had one scout unit that popped from a combo chariot/ kraken charge but were avenged by handgunners and second scouts.
In the end i took 96% giving up 26% but also took secondary for a final 19 to 1 win for the dwarfs
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Summer league 2018

Post  BTENDER on Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:41 pm

Josh and I had a game the other night. Got 5 turns in due to time. Looked really close, back and forth for a few turns. Ended with Josh getting the secondary. Josh Beast Herds 15 Sam Dread Elves 5.

BTENDER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh b on Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:36 am

thanks sam i was just going to report the game we'll have another go at er

Josh b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:28 am

Brian – Lizardmen vs Sean – Goblins JUST DA GOBBOS

2000 pts, diagonal fight (forgot what it was called) and breakthrough.

Tie game 10-10 but Brian got the secondary so 13-7 VICTORY FOR BRIAN

So BRIAN IS BACK! Came in strong with a victory. Game started with him plopping his army down, block of 6 Kroxigors (caimins) block of 18 Sauras Warriors with 2 characters, a big poison spitting dino that casted magic and a unit of the flying dinos… Sorry guys they all just look like dinos to me idk the names. My army was a Goblin King on a Huntsman Spider (40x40), two bolt throwers, a Gnasher Wrecking team, 20 Cave Goblins with bows, 35 Forest Goblins with Spears and an arachnarok. So Brian got first turn and moved everything up aggressively, no shooting and t he magic phase was only buffs. My turn saw my arachnarok charge the Sauras block killing the BSB outright and killing a few warriors, I BARELY survived being hit back with 1/8 wounds left and stubborn DISP 8 I hung on. Bolt throwers and cave goblin shooting took off a Kroxigor and wounded another but that was all. Brians turn saw the flying dinos smack onto the Gnasher Wrecking Team and they both went down in a ball of teeth and wings. The arachnarok fell to the warrior and his remaining Kroxigors charged and OBLITERATED the unit of Cave Goblins, ran right through my Mad Git I released on the stand and shoot and overran into the corner of my Forest Goblins. My turn my Goblin King charged the rest of the sauras block killing a lot of them and causing them to flee. I failed to catch them. My Bolt Throwers took some wounds off his big dino and the forest goblins fought to a stalemate against the Kroxigors but failed to reform to get more into combat. On Brians turn he rallied his Warriors and moved the big dino closer to my Goblin King, two Kroxigors were more than enough to deal with 35 Goblins and my goblins broke and fled off the field. Leaving his chasing Kroxigors planted right inside my deployment zone behind a big rock so my bolt throwers couldn’t see them. My Goblin King killed the remainder of the warriors but then a Toxic Breath attack from the big dino killed him in ONE SHOT! Pop just green spew everywhere. My bolt throwers finished off the big Dino and we were left with 2 Kroxigors in my deployment and 2 Bolt Throwers stuck behind a rock. Was a good game and I honestly expected more out of the forest goblins Razz these 2000 pt games are nice to just hammer out quickly, maybe I need some magic for my next list.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:25 pm

Nice write up, remember that there will be a point adjustment for these smaller point games.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:38 pm

Thanks Carson. And yes I just read that in the league page. Makes sense as we can have more 2000pt games quicker.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:25 pm

On the flip side, you receive more points for higher level games.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:38 pm

Quick Battle report before I forget.

Josh and I had a battle last night.

5000pts....Beast Herd vs Warriors of the Dark Gods.

Back and forth...my monsters chewed him up and I killed his General and BSB....liking those bonus pts.

Bottom of turn 6...very last bit of the battle and I goaded Josh to charge my Exalted Herald (General) with his Doombull, he was not going to. But he did and neither of us wounded each other...but he won combat by 1 because of the charge and I needed a 7...rolled an 11 and he chased me down. That was 1140pts..... affraid affraid

It was a tie but due to that brutal roll I lost huge. I should have hit those damn Minotaurs with more magic.

Josh Beast Herds  13      Derek  Warriors of the Dark Gods  7
Josh got the secondary
Beast Herds 16  Warriors of the Dark Gods  4

Last edited by Derek on Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:47 pm

Sounds like quite the fight! Doombulls as tough as they used to be?
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:16 am

They are nasty.

The Minotaurs themselve aint much but they need to charge and they cannot grind out a battle.
The Doombull is another story. Multiple attacks and D3 wounds...yup a killer.
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:57 pm

Had 2 games on Saturday for Summer league! First against Josh and his Beastmen vs My mostly Wrath Daemons. 19-1 for me, neither painted. Second game was against Carson and his Vermins. Another good game, with some goofy stuff on both sides. Carson took me for a 13-7 loss or me. Neither painted.

We also talked D&D. Very Happy
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:39 am

I played Derek last night. It was a good back and forth affair between my Empire and his Warriors. He had a whack of monsters and big bad characters so my cannon had many targets. Unfortunately it only managed to hit and wound once against his giant, taking 4 wounds. That was actually pretty huge because it allowed my general to kill it in combat before the giant could swing back later in the game. Derek's plan was to sweep around my flank and honestly I didn't have much that could stop him except that I had the same plan on the other flank and I was able to pull the trigger first. My knights on my weak flank did survive a round of combat against his Chaos lord on a manticore which really helped out, it kept Derek on the back foot and allowed me to catch some of his units unprepared. In the end his chaos lord fell to the steam tank's gun on the last turn of the game and the barbarian horde from the North was banished.

It ended up being a 14-6 win for me, I took the secondary and we were both fully painted so 19-5.

I'm liking the Empire army, the Imperial guard are pretty decent, even when I forget to use the orders to allow them to hit with all 4 ranks and forget about hatred about half the time. The cannon is ok too, it definitely demands the opponent's attention even though it only hits about half the time. The real strength in this army is the armour. 1+ and 2+ armour saves abound and keeps the squishy humans relatively safe within a steel shell. I'm nearly finished painting a war alter and next on the painting block will be a unit of flagellants so I've got some options to change up the list. I think I'll also try to find a suitable wizard model.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:49 pm

Yes it was a fun battle against a worthy opponent. However, it was another defeat for the Warriors of the Dark Gods.

Perhaps my battle plan was my undoing....I was so heavy on the left flank that I bottled myself up. I do need to get some wolves as a lack of a true chaff unit for my army hurts. My Barbarian Horsemen are light cavalry but not fast cav...ugh. Nathan has a very solid list, his mobility and the threat of his artillery made me slow down a bit and this pause hurt. Magically I had a few turns that were a complete waste of time and showed how well I can roll 2's affraid . My Lord on his Mighty Chimera (with a spiffy manticore proxy model Very Happy ) hitting with 8 S5 attacks on the flank of his Knights and the beast having 5 S5 attacks and then not breaking the knights.... affraid affraid  well that really slowed me down. I have to rethink always using Occultism as the range of the spells is so limited...magic was never my strong suit, but that Hellfire spell is pretty awesome against the right army. I like my current army list and will stick with it for a bit. I might drop a Barbarian Horseman and try to add one more Feldrak... those 4 wound beauties are expensive but do some damage.
I really like Nathan's list. It has no magic except the buffs from the Prelates but having like 3 Prelates in the army really adds to the punch of each unit....and its themey (yes that's my word now - I'm gonna patent it). his list has loads of mobility and his slow infantry block is the Imperial Guard with a BSB and  Prelate and its huge and nasty. And well...his army looks amazing.

I look forward to my next engagement with the Empire...the Dark Gods demand respect.
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:58 pm

Sammy and I had a battle last night.

Sam  Dread Elves   vs   Derek   Warriors of the Dark Gods     5000pts

We played Counter-thrust with Breakthrough as the secondary.

Only three pieces of terrain on the battlefield and there was a hill and building on my side on each of my flanks. I used the hill to place my large unit of Barbarians behind it....cover baby. Sam had way more units and I made his place first but then after my third drop I realized I needed first turn and dropped my army. The bulk of my army was on my right flank but I had my two units of warriors on my left back out of range of his bolt throwers. I move up quickly and scared most of his vanguarding cav away. Sam has a solid army list and I was leary of his block of Tower Guard. I was able to unleash some Hellfire on it a few times and on turn 2 I charged it with my feldraks and Lord on a Chimera. He did a couple of wounds to a feldrak but with the sheer number of attacks I had I wiped out that entire unit. By turn 4 he was able to get my Lord and my Exalted Herald down to 1 wound but they both survived the battle. On my left flank Sammy got a solid a=charge on my Forsaken One but over 3 rounds of combat he only did 2 wounds and it eventually ate the spearmen up. I was able to kill his Hydra but his Kraken killed my Giant in one turn. On my turn 6 I charged his Kraken with my Lord and Herald and took it out while his Dread Chariot charged my block of Barbarians with my Sorcerer. He killed 5 and I lost combat by 3 and the unit broke....ugh nasty point loss there on the very last turn.

In the end I lost 3636 pts and I took 3670 pts and it was a draw.
Fun and bloody battle with lots of magic interfering with the movement of troops. I might alter the size of my Barbarian unit...forget the horde aspect and also reduce the size of my Horsemen. unit....throw away points are good but they are not effective at all.

Sam  Dread Elves    10     vs      Derek   Warriors of the Dark Gods    10
nobody got the secondary.
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:46 pm

Sammy and I had a rematch last night...the draw was not acceptable.

Sammy  Dread Elves   vs     Derek  Warriors of the Dark Gods     5000pts

We rolled up a Pitched Battle with Break-Through as the Secondary.

Sammy tweaked his list with more Tower Guard and he lost a unit of Harpies. I kept my same list as I like it...but I might drop my Barbarian Horsemen soon.

This time we had more terrain with 2 forests, a building and a hill. But once again most of the terrain was on my side of the battlefield...which helped a bit as I deployed a unit of my Warriors behind the hill to prevent them getting shot at. On my right flank I placed my large horde unit of Barbarians and my Barbarian Horsemen. Across from them was the large block of Dread Auxiliaries with Spears, Auxiliaries with Crossbows, Light Cav (Reapers) a Dread Reaper Bolt Thrower and a Kraken.....I thought to myself he can have the right flank. On my Left I placed the bulk of my forces. On my far Left I had my Lord on a Chimera, Forsaken One (Giant Spawn), Wasteland Giant, two units of Warriors, Sorcerer (in unit) and my Feldraks then my Exalted Herald. In front of the Giant and Forsaken One was a building half up the battlefield. Across from my Lord was a unit of Harpies and then Sam deployed his Hunter Chariot, a Block of Tower Guard, Reaper Chariot, Reaper Knights w/ Captain (General), 2x Fast Cav, Reaper Bolt Thrower, Auxiliaries with Crossbows and an Oracle on a Dark Pegasus...oh he also had a Hydra in front of the Tower Guard.
Sammy has really good list but I felt that I could take him. Most of my army was Resilience 5 and if I had better match ups than last time I could take the fight to him and defeat the Dread Elves.
Sammy made a huge mistake on turn one, he had 3 vanguard units of Reaper Cav and they had crossbows but he did not concentrate his fire and with my Res 5 he is wounding on 6's. He did kill 2 Barbarian Horsemen. Plus he was fearful of my Lord and Exalted Herald and did not want to bring his Oracle too close as such his WitchCraft magic did not do anything...and his Bolt Throwers missed. On my turn one I charged his vanguard units, he did a stand and shoot with two of them - I told him not to as they have feigned flight and are going to die. He killed off three more Horseman and the last one fled - so that worked and meant that my Barbarian block was all by itself on the right  affraid.
Hi-light of turn one was the successful casting of the Wrath of God spell from my Exalted Herald. Twisted Evil
On turn two his Dread Knights and Chariot got a charge off on my Warriors with my Sorcerer in the unit (Long charges). Sammy whiffed hard and the unit held Twisted Evil I got a charge off with my Feldrak on his Kraken, which had 2 wounds on it from some Hellfire. I was able to destroy the Kraken after losing a Feldrak. At the end of his Magic Phase the Wrath of God Comet hit and devastated his Army. It killed 8 Tower Guard a bunch of Crossbows and most importantly killed his Oracle on the Dark Pegasus!!! affraid
On my turn I got the counter charge with my other unit of Warriors on his Dread Knights and my Lord on his Chimera charged the Tower Guard head on. Tower Guard are nasty but my Lord goes first and I did 7 wounds and my Chimera did another 3 and he did none in return....Boom Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
The Dread Knights held out one more round before they succumbed to the inevitable death they deserved. My Exalted Herald and 2 remaining Feldraks mopped up the remaining Dread Elf Artillery units. I had killed his Hydra with my Forsaken One and Giant with the benefit of some previous magic attacks. In the end his Spearmen got a really long charge off on my Barbarian block - I think it was an 11  Shocked and he ripped them apart and ran them down...my horde does not hold up well  Rolling Eyes...I should have reformed them into ranks.
With the last two turns I was able to get my Warriors across the battlefield to negate his Spearmen unit.

I am now 1-1-1 with this list and it need some tweaking but it is solid. I liked Sammy's list but he made a few tactical mistakes, did not have a good magic showing, rolled horribly with his 3 bolt throwers (any wounds were stopped by my Aegis saves) and had some bad luck in some dice rolls. He should have blown though my unit of Warriors with his Dread Knights and Chariot - bad luck there.

Sam  Dread Elves  3    vs    Derek   Warriors of the Dark Gods   17
I got the Secondary

Sam  0   vs   Derek  20
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:21 pm

Me and Brian had time for a couple 2000 pt games this week

Monday: Sean K - Tomb King VS Brian - Lizardmen
2000 pats
Victory for Brian 20 -0 Neither painted

I don’t recall this one so well but i was a complete wipe for me, Brian just walked all over my army. I went chariot heavy with some magic and archers, i had 3 units of 3 chariots and they ALL got the lowest possible impacts so that didn’t help either. 3 Raptor Riders slaughtered 20 skeletons without taking a single wound haha. I even resurrected 12 skeletons in that unit! Fought them all down.

We also had a game today
Sean K - Ogres vs Brian - Orks
Battle Line, Capture the Scoring Units
Victory for Sean K 20-0
Sean was painted.

This game i wasn’t expecting much from my army, a unit of 9 ogres got a charge off on his Stone Ork Idole and i managed to get enough 6’s to cause him to crumble. The fact he didn’t get to stomp my ogres helped a lot in that combat. Unfortunately this unit then got triple charged by a unit of Feral Orks, Ork Boar Boys and a Boar Chariot. POOF he killed 8/9 Ogres before i even got to swing back haha. Orks are SO STRONG and SOOO fast. Strength 5 ouch. My unit of Maneaters with my super fighty general killed his chariot that got an overrun into a bad spot and then over ran into his savage Ork blocked. It was an odd over run so i only got 2 ogres in combat and he only got 9 Orks. The challenge overkill, stomps and impact hits are what swung this combat. and because Maneaters can take Plate Armour now. I also had a unit of 3 Lead Belchers that boom boomed some stuff but didn’t make a big difference overall.

Fighty characters are key in this low point value. Very confused about how that Ogre item works. -1 attack to models in units in base contact. It doesn’t say to a minimum of 1? So we just ignored this as a wasted 60 point item for this game ha.

Enjoying the 2000 pt games lets us actually play a quick game when we don’t have time for more. We are going to aim for a 5000pt game this week! Goblins vs Lizards
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:14 pm

good stuff, keep em coming!

remember the points modifier for non standard games.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:10 pm

Josh and I had a game today. Vampire counts vrs beast's

It was a pretty good game with some edge of your seat moments. I believe Josh was hoi g to give a bit of a report on some things.

The game ended 12-8 in Josh's favor, however I managed to grab the secondary for an 11-9 win for Dom
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh b on Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:42 pm

like dom said there were many edge of your aeat momenta and once again he proved that killing a vampire is very, very hard. but none the less it was a great game

Josh b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:25 am

Andre and I played a game last night, my infantry vamps vrs his slayer dwarfs. We played dawn assault with hold the center secondary. We both kept a unit in reserve, in what would later prove to be a mistake for both of us. I moved up slowly taking wounds from shooting, but stetting up some charges and seureing the secondary.

His greybeards and rune Smith bounced off of my barrow guard and were subsequently chased of the board. My generals unit managed to scare away his gunners but I could not chance him or I would give up my flank. What happened next was a double charge from some rangers and a slayer unit. I was actually really surprised I managed to stay and grind down the slayers on the end of turn six.

My knights held in reserve didn't show up till turn 4, and would not take part in the battle and Andres second slayer unit with character did not show up till turn 3 and hardly took part in the game.

Game ended 13-7 with me capturing the secondary, 16-4 for Dom
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:55 am

Sounds like a good game. Barrow guard are tough eh? Pretty sure that graybeard runesmith unit ate through my main Pharo skeles block.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:11 pm

Kal wrote:Sounds like a good game. Barrow guard are tough eh? Pretty sure that graybeard runesmith unit ate through my main Pharo skeles block.

Statistically he rolled low for damage , which made me win combat by 5 I think. I would say in that match up normally , the barrow guard win , but it would take more then one round i think. It's a big matter of match ups. A good unit can be good but still be outclassed by another, And that unit could get outclassed by a unit that gets beat down by the barrow guard..... classic rock paper scissors situations lol
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:36 pm

I had a failed charge with a vengeance seeker in that fight that I would like to say would have turned the tide but both of them fought so underwhelmingly that it probably would not have mattered.
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:35 pm

Makes sense, glad it wasn't just a walk over. 9th is getting more balanced but dice still happen.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:00 pm

Josh came by last night with a dream that he would give the old man a beat down before he flew off to Vegas today.... Evil or Very Mad Very Happy

Josh   Beast Herds   vs     Derek    Warriors of the Dark Gods    5000pts

We played Encircle with Hold the Ground as the Secondary.

I had on building on my left flank and a hill on my right flank. On Josh's right he had a forest and he placed a forest in the center with his magicy beast thingy. I used the Wasteland Torch on the far forest to make it a ruin and his small herd took numerous wounds from DT's through out the battle as they were the only unit to go in there. It had 20 and was down to 8 models at the end.

I had seen Josh's list before and I was wary of the magic buffs on the Herds, the Minotaurs on the charge and the two big monsters.

I used my same list as the last 3 battles but I took off some Barbarians to add a Wretched One...the lame ass Spawns....I like the concept and I wanted the unbreakable aspect of it. I say lame ass as they are only Res 4 with S4 and, if i can remember correctly, have 3 wounds.

Any way Josh moved up (he had first turn after he dropped everything after a couple of units were down) and not much really happened. On my turn one I charged my Exalted Herald into his Chariot, he fled, I was expecting that but I was planning on redirecting into his herd next to it and was going to kill his Sorcerer Laughing I failed the redirect roll... affraid so he was sitting out in the open. The rest of my units I repositioned or moved back a bit. Needless to say on the next turn the Beast Herd rolled and got off a number of charges. including the Minotaurs into my Exalted Herald. Damn those Minotaurs are nasty on the charge....poof went my big nasty deamon and the overrun smacked into a unit of Warriors. On my Left my Forsaken One (Big Spawn) was locked into a battle with a herd and a Colossus (I think that is the name). The Forsaken One is unbreakable and lasted a couple of turns and killed about 16 beasts Twisted Evil and the Colossus actually broke, it later rallied and was killed by my Feldraks - S7 baby Twisted Evil My Forsaken One ended up getting flanked by another herd and killed. On my right flank his big horde Herd of Great Weapon Beasts had charged my Wretched One and whiffed hard and it is unbreakable....Josh did not express his admiration at all for my unbreakable units  Laughing Twisted Evil
In my center his Gortak charged my large unit of Barbarians...yikes. On my turn my Giant, Sorcerer and Warrior Chariot charged the Horde Herd that was being held up. The Wretched One did die but I ripped apart those Beasts Very Happy Twisted Evil In the center the Barbarians held but not for long, the Minotaurs raped a unit of Warriors and overran into another unit of Warriors who were also butchered. So things were not looking good on turn 3 for the Warriors...I honestly thought I was toast. Then things turned around. Feldraks killed the Colossus, overran into the remnants of a Herd and then actually hit into another herd Twisted Evil My General on a Chimera smashed into the rear of the Minotaurs and killed 4 of them and the unit and Doombull were done. I cant remember how I killed the Gortak but i believe it was a combo of magic and my General.
Bottom of turn 5 i wiped the last serious Beast herd threat off the table. He did have a small unit of the Beasts (Ungors??) on the far flank but they were not in play. All the Warriors had left on the battlefield was the General (with one wound left and my Feldraks)...another bloody battle (he had killed my Sorcerer with a Herd charge and his BeastLord). 

It was a fun battle and went pretty fast. I thought I was done after turn 3 but I was rolling some sweet saves. Disappointed that the Warrior units died so quickly but that Gortak is nasty. I had good match-ups but I could have done a lot better if I got some magic off. I only got like three spells off all game while the Beast Herd Sorcerer was very effective casting his Evocation spells.

Josh    Beast Herds    7     vs     Derek    Warriors of the Dark Gods   13
No one got the secondary I was fully painted
Josh  7   vs   Derek  15
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next