FoW/TY - Spinning my wheels

Go down

FoW/TY - Spinning my wheels

Post  |marauder| on Wed May 16, 2018 9:00 am

Good day Ravening Hordes,

I am wondering if there is any point me even posting/being on this site. It has been, I believe, a year since I have seen anyone here (other than Lorne) out to a Flames of War tournament or event. I have also noticed that while my posts are viewed they are rarely commented on or contributed to. I am always eager to answer any questions or assist in any way I can.
Meanwhile, you may always email me at:
cigamnogard@sasktel.net
Or, if you are looking for upcoming events please see:
https://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1984

Good luck and happy gaming!
Lance
|marauder|

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Re: FoW/TY - Spinning my wheels

Post  nathanr on Wed May 16, 2018 9:33 am

Hey Lance,

Its true, I have lost a bit of my momentum with Flames of War as of late. Partly as the new ruleset came out I didn't have the time to keep up with the changes and now I feel like I'm way behind, the other reason is that with the very limited time I have for gaming right now I'd honestly rather be playing The Ninth Age. Even there I'm not able to get in as many games as I'd like. I do fully intend to keep up with or come back to Flames of War as I love the game and always have a blast at your events. Feel free to keep posting about upcoming events, I know it is frustrating when it feels like you're talking to an empty room but I do read them. I know for myself I'm only going to be interested in late war events and for the foreseeable future I'm going to be hit and miss on the out-of-town events I can make it to. My older brother's family did just move to Regina though so I have been looking for a good excuse to visit.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed May 16, 2018 3:49 pm

Hey Lance,

I have sold off my Canadian Tank army and am pretty much done with FoW, didn't enjoy any of the last games i had or the new ruleset. Even dropping 40k from my roster so its nothing personal. I'm just strictly a 9th age guy.

Thanks for the introduction into FoW tho!
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed May 16, 2018 4:26 pm

first off Lance, welcome to miniature gaming! Very Happy At least Flames of War players still have a game. The Warhammer world was LITERALLY blown up and the real World community had to create (steal) their game and call it 9th age. 4 years later, it's still not done, players have quit and went to other games, etc, etc... Some days this hobby hangs by a thread and it has a natural ebb and flow of interest. It's certainly not Lance that has chased people away, when V4 was mentioned it changed the whole community - heck Battlefront even closed up their own forum - not cool.

I just sold my British army as I LIKE FoW, but never play it and haven't tried V4 yet...but to be honest, I rarely read anything positive about it. Sad So part of my apprehension comes from that. The other is that if we have "Warhammer" tournaments and games days throughout the year - it will always be a 9th age ruleset gamesday. Part of my issue is that FoW is fragmented and at best there may be 2 Late War (the only era I play) events a year. I'm not interested in buying more models for Early War, Mid War, Vietnam, Team Yankee, etc. As Nathan said, there's a finite amount of gaming time and Warhammer is it for this group (mostly).

Having said all that, I am still interested in FoW and will still only play Late War period. And others in Saskatoon will still play (Carson, Nathan, Lorne, Dean)

If I don't respond to a post it's because I simply have nothing to add, but read it out of curiosity. Smile
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:59 am

nathanr wrote:Hey Lance,

Its true, I have lost a bit of my momentum with Flames of War as of late.  Partly as the new ruleset came out I didn't have the time to keep up with the changes and now I feel like I'm way behind, the other reason is that with the very limited time I have for gaming right now I'd honestly rather be playing The Ninth Age.  Even there I'm not able to get in as many games as I'd like.  I do fully intend to keep up with or come back to Flames of War as I love the game and always have a blast at your events.  Feel free to keep posting about upcoming events, I know it is frustrating when it feels like you're talking to an empty room but I do read them.  I know for myself I'm only going to be interested in late war events and for the foreseeable future I'm going to be hit and miss on the out-of-town events I can make it to.  My older brother's family did just move to Regina though so I have been looking for a good excuse to visit.
V4 is actually a lot more fluid compared to V3. It is also a lot less complex which makes for easier to catch on - this does mean that a few people that enjoyed the complexity are not happy. Also, quite a few 'power' gamers armies were hit. For the most part I felt that V3 was pretty balanced but there were a few lists that if tweaked had a some very clear advantages.
Also, more than happy to loan out an army if you want to try out another era if you are in town visiting your brother.
|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:06 am

Kal wrote:Hey Lance,

I have sold off my Canadian Tank army and am pretty much done with FoW, didn't enjoy any of the last games i had or the new ruleset. Even dropping 40k from my roster so its nothing personal. I'm just strictly a 9th age guy.

Thanks for the introduction into FoW tho!
Dude the amount of time I spent on suggesting you would have problems with "X" and suggesting you do "y" on which were all my words seemed to be ignored = it does not surprise me in the least that you did not enjoy yourself. Still, I do feel bad that that was the case.
Good luck with 9th Age.
|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:25 am

squalie wrote:first off Lance, welcome to miniature gaming!  Very Happy   At least Flames of War players still have a game.  The Warhammer world was LITERALLY blown up and the real World community had to create (steal) their game and call it 9th age. 4 years later, it's still not done, players have quit and went to other games, etc, etc...  Some days this hobby hangs by a thread and it has a natural ebb and flow of interest.  It's certainly not Lance that has chased people away, when V4 was mentioned it changed the whole community - heck Battlefront even closed up their own forum - not cool.

I just sold my British army as I LIKE FoW, but never play it and haven't tried V4 yet...but to be honest, I rarely read anything positive about it. Sad  So part of my apprehension comes from that.  The other is that if we have "Warhammer" tournaments and games days throughout the year - it will always be a 9th age ruleset gamesday.  Part of my issue is that FoW is fragmented and at best there may be 2 Late War (the only era I play) events a year.  I'm not interested in buying more models for Early War, Mid War, Vietnam, Team Yankee, etc.  As Nathan said, there's a finite amount of gaming time and Warhammer is it for this group (mostly).

Having said all that, I am still interested in FoW and will still only play Late War period. And others in Saskatoon will still play (Carson, Nathan, Lorne, Dean)

If I don't respond to a post it's because I simply have nothing to add, but read it out of curiosity. Smile
Been involved with miniature gaming for years so I am well versed with it; I quit 40k a long time ago but I still read the Black Library. However, my main issue I guess is that I am on a webpage for another gaming system that the players are all very passionate about. But, as a few have said you are interested and want me to continue - so, I will.
What you call fragmented I would call properly divided. And, to be honest with you Late War is my least favorite era (not that I don't like it) I have played it so many times I can usually look at a game and tell you will win and by what turn with only a few amazing die rolls coming as a major surprise. Needless to say this takes a lot of fun out of the game.
|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:25 pm

I need you to explain “properly divided” as 5 different systems of the same game seems fragmented to me. Same company, 5? Different games appealing to different customers that feels obligated to buy different tanks because the label on the box says team yankee.

Dude (and I never say dude) it’s hard enough getting players to play one game ruleset, let alone 5 that you different models. People may only like one version, no interest in the other 4 and have little patience waiting around for their occasional event for the one era they like.

You keep saying late war is your least favourite- that’s unfortunate as it’s my favourite. I like the history behind it MUCH better than Vietnam, WW1 or WW3 (really? World war 3?). Not sure what to say from here, the system is killing itself I think because it’s “properly divided”.

There is no momentum in Flames of War games because there’s too much division. It’s too bad - I really liked the game.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:29 pm

No - you say Bud. Meanwhile, I am not going to get involved in one of your 'games' Don.
|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum