Upcoming tournament

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Upcoming tournament

Post  Carson on Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:08 pm

Hey guys;

Once our current league wraps up Feb.6 and playoffs end of Feb? I was thinking about putting together a full blown tournament for Feb.27?

Any thoughts and ideas for this?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Upcoming tournament

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:18 pm

No ridiculous magic flux scenario!

How about trying some of the "kill point" stuff or other awesome scenarios from the UKGT?
Rules here:
http://warhammerworld.typepad.com/warhammer_world_news/files/GW409_ToS_Warhammer.pdf

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:37 pm

yup were both on the same page here!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:13 pm

While scenarios are fun to play, I wouldn't mind at least 1 round as a pitched battle. Other than that, I'm all for whatever scenarios you can throw at us.

Just make sure the scenario victory conditions are fair for all armies (ie: table quarters are the only thing that give victory points = dwarfs lose)

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:18 pm

Are we allowed to use a different army than our league choice?

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:23 pm

nathanr wrote:While scenarios are fun to play, I wouldn't mind at least 1 round as a pitched battle. Other than that, I'm all for whatever scenarios you can throw at us.

Just make sure the scenario victory conditions are fair for all armies (ie: table quarters are the only thing that give victory points = dwarfs lose)

Are you a crack addict? Table quarters means the dwarfs tie at the Worst tie! Dwarfs love that scenario. Youve got 6 turns to advance two units that can't be march blocked 12". That's my DREAM scenario with dwarfs.

Breakthrough, now that scenario is for assholes...

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:30 pm

The tablequarter scenario in the UKGT pack looks awesome.

Your own quarters are worth 1 point to you, while your opponent's are worth 3.

For a unit to contest it has to be a "scoring unit," which is defined as being a unit with US of 5+ and can not be a single model. So no Dragons, or Greater Daemons or what have you.

Dwarfs shouldn't have any problem with this. Get one of your opponents, keep all of yours. No problem for stunties.

I want to play all 3 of the scenarios in the UKGT pack: Total Annihilation, Strategic Position and Trial of Battle.

They are all awesome and should serve to make interesting games.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:05 pm

Table quarters is da bomb for dwarfs. Like the sound of the GT twist on it. No way does a dwarf cough up their own zones. And if they do, it really, really wouldn't have mattered anyway.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:07 pm

Hey Eric, wann pick one (randomly, or whatever) and bring it by for our game tomorrow night?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:13 pm

I'll just print the list and we can flip a 3 sided coin tomorrow.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:52 am

RickyDMMontoya wrote:I'll just print the list and we can flip a 3 sided coin tomorrow.

I keep one next to my unicorn horn!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:48 pm

ScottRadom wrote:
nathanr wrote:While scenarios are fun to play, I wouldn't mind at least 1 round as a pitched battle. Other than that, I'm all for whatever scenarios you can throw at us.

Are you a crack addict? Table quarters means the dwarfs tie at the Worst tie! Dwarfs love that scenario. Youve got 6 turns to advance two units that can't be march blocked 12". That's my DREAM scenario with dwarfs.

Breakthrough, now that scenario is for assholes...

I'm not on crack, and here's why... at best you are playing for a tie. Sure you can march a unit (or two) of dwarfs across half, but once they are there they are just contesting the quarter, they don't automatically take it. They have to first chase down and kill whatever 5-man scouting, shooting or fast cavalry unit happens to be there. Meanwhile, the main dwarf force holds their 2 table quarters against the main enemy force hopefully ending the game contesting those two table quarters.

All a smart opposing general has to do to get a win is contest the 2 dwarf table quarters and kill one or both of the poor isolated dwarf units that are stupid enough to try to march across the table.

You could maybe do it if you used miners...

It is a moot point for me anyway as I'll be taking my wood elves (or maybe brets) to the tournament.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:00 pm

Dwarfs have enough shooting and combat capability to clear any given quarter of enemies if they so choose while remaining immovable in their own two.

So contest your two, capture another by clearing it of enemies and getting across half and take a bow, you've won the game. You don't have to get into their deployment zone, just across half and remove the enemy threats. Very few armies have access to cheap scoring units that they can hide from you, and those that do are all, as a rule, very low Ld, and can easily be panicked off.

Table Quearters also provide an excuse for a cheap unit of Miners or two to pretty much automatically contest table quarters.

On paper, these table quarter games seem like they will lead to more draws for every army. In practice, players playing for a win will commit their forces and the game will result in a victory one way or the other. I certainly don't think Dwarfs are in any way disadvantaged, particularly as the scoring unit rules remove the single model monsters and such from he equation.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:14 pm

Fair enough, especially if the single model units don't count for contesting. I'm sure I won't change your mind about this (and you won't change mine) so I'll agree to disagree.

One question, when you say "full tournament" does that mean an all-day 2000 point shin-dig? Because then you should probably plan it for Saturday Feb. 28 instead. I would also be interested in a doubles tournament sometime, it doesn't have to be this tournament but I think team games are great fun and I might be able to convince my brother to come!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:42 am

I love the Obamanator pic!

Nathan-Many, many times have i hit the table quarter scenariuo with a solid shooting game backed up by the classic awesome infantry.

Never, ever given up a table quarter. The power of the dwarfs is not in their move score, but so long as you have 2-3 solid infantry units it's easy to get over on at least one side of the enemies deployment. And for the rest, just figure out which order you want to blastigate the enemy! You don't have to kill the bad guys, just reduce them to non-scoring. Things like Organ guns etc. are just the cat's ass for this scenario.

Also, given the choice for this scenario ALWAYS go last. having the final movement phase is usually a good way to help win this one.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:15 am

Holding your shooters back works well unless someone happens to take second turn arrivals ie Skrag and four gorgers may cost 700 points but having four gorgers to decimate any cannon fodder unprotected or my bros casket of souls seems to undo your tactics also on the front if I march a unit of leadbelchers up the middle should reduce the dwarfs enough that by the time they get to close combat they have little numbers and less rank bonus. I would also like to play a team match, I find the scenarios are fun compared to pitched battle. I recently played a 3000 pt game empire against O and G with a river right down the middle and five bridges with the objective to hold the bridge in the case of Empire and destroy the bridge O and G with victory points for each bridge.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:51 am

Mhael wrote:Holding your shooters back works well unless someone happens to take second turn arrivals ie Skrag and four gorgers may cost 700 points but having four gorgers to decimate any cannon fodder unprotected or my bros casket of souls seems to undo your tactics also on the front if I march a unit of leadbelchers up the middle should reduce the dwarfs enough that by the time they get to close combat they have little numbers and less rank bonus. I would also like to play a team match, I find the scenarios are fun compared to pitched battle. I recently played a 3000 pt game empire against O and G with a river right down the middle and five bridges with the objective to hold the bridge in the case of Empire and destroy the bridge O and G with victory points for each bridge.

How many dwarfs to you expect to kill with a single round of random s4 shooting? How many ld 9/10 dwarfs are going to die to the immobile and easy to get your range guess in on casket of souls?

Dwarfs will do this scenario every time. Gorgers decimating Dwarfs? I dunno. 4 attacks hitting twice and wounding 1-2 times hardly makes for a decimation.

I've played both sides of the Ogres vs. Dwarfs and it's dwarfs, dwarfs and more dwarfs all the way. The chief thing about Ogres is that they're fast moving fear causers. The fear isn't a big deal against dwarven leadership and the speed usually means the ogres can run in and get their asses kicked faster. a unit of 4 bulls against 20 dwarfs (close in point values) without any characters just won't get it done. Even with impact hits.

Dwarfs are a fantastic tourny army. Typically when they lose it's a close one that comes down to a few bad choices and a bad LD roll at the wrong time. Always respect the dwarfs. In this scenario the only army I think that has a better shot at controlling/contesting the field is a VC summoning army. And I played one of those with dwarfs and beat them. No big deal, I am/was pretty great.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:04 pm

Nobody can deny that you are great Scott! Unfortunately I tend to be very good at rolling poorly for Leadership pretty much all the time. Carson can attest to that fact. I also tend to make poor decisions but I'm trying to work on that! I can see why in theory Dwarfs should do ok at the table quarter scenario, it just hasn't worked out for me in the past.

I like Andre's suggestion for a bridge-holding scenario. I happen to have made a table that has a river through the center that I could possibly make available (it is just taking up room in the garage at the moment).

Also, is the tournament on the Friday or the Saturday? If it is still undecided I vote for Saturday.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:08 pm

I vote for a friday nighter or a sunday-er. Saturday's are tough for me to wiggle out of work for.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:57 am

Ok, Looks like Sunday Mar.1 I will run a 2000pt no holds barred tournament down at the den. 4 games, 3 scenarios from the UK GT pack, more details to follow.

I'd like to make the scoring completely player controlled, ie I don't have any subjective votes as the organizer. I'll play if there are an odd number.

Input as to the details such as scoring, etc is wanted

Scott, I need that prize we talked about made up!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:29 am

Carson wrote:Ok, Looks like Sunday Mar.1 I will run a 2000pt no holds barred tournament down at the den. 4 games, 3 scenarios from the UK GT pack, more details to follow.

I'd like to make the scoring completely player controlled, ie I don't have any subjective votes as the organizer. I'll play if there are an odd number.

Input as to the details such as scoring, etc is wanted

Scott, I need that prize we talked about made up!

What prize? If we talked about it more than 30 seconds ago that shit is outta my head by now.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:43 am

The Sunday is almost as good for me as the Saturday. I am also intrigued by this secret prize...

As for scoring, I really like the "rate your opponent" style of sportsmanship where you have to rank your 4 opponents with someone getting the lowest score and someone getting the highest score. It ensures that the best sportsman wins the most sportsmanlike award instead of everyone giving out 5's and the decision of the sportmanship prize being chosen by some sort of tie-breaker. I also like the "rate your opponent's army" idea because it separates that from sportsmanship. That could also be done on a scale where you have to give someone a low score and someone a high score. I think all that needs to be done by you Carson is to give "the speech" at the start then walk around giving sage advice.

I am really looking forward to this tournament! I read and like the scenarios and I think I might even be able to convince my brother to come out! He gets pretty competitive though so watch out for the uber-brettonian army!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:00 pm

Well, I just got word that I can't make it to the tourney. One of my soccer games got re-scheduled for that day. That also means my brother won't be able to make it because he is also on the team. Depending on when the game is I might still be able to make it but I doubt it.

Of all the rotten luck!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:55 pm

Wow. Soccer? Really....

Have fun playing the worlds worst sport ladies.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:17 pm

Hey its all about priorities right........guess I'll see you at the tournament then right! Very Happy

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:31 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top