3D Printed Gaming Aids

Go down

3D Printed Gaming Aids

Post  nathanr on Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:40 pm

So I'm finally comfortable printing my own designs instead of relying on things that other people have made and uploaded to Thingiverse for free. †Right now I'm a bit limited by my print volume but I e-mailed some of my files to Create Cafe to see what their price on the larger movement trays would be, I haven't heard back from them yet. †In the meantime, I've split the trays into 3 pieces. †2 halves and then a reinforcement plate in the middle of the seam. †I think if I glue the halves together, then glue in the reinforcement plate and finally finish it with a metal insert on top of everything it should hold together pretty sturdily. †I'll try printing one tonight and see what happens.

I'm going to bring a few of my printed movement trays, counters and whatnot to the tournament tomorrow so you can all flood me with orders. †I don't have my magnets yet but I ordered 200 from China for ridiculously cheap. †If they show up and are good I might order more and get a few more sheets of metal from Carson and be able to offer a package deal with magnets and movement trays and everything. †I think I have enough magnets kicking around to make a working prototype of my movement tray/wound counters so I'll bring that along.

Also, if you have an idea for something custom that you want to make a reality just send me a message and I'll see what I can do. †My prices are going to be dirt-cheap.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3D Printed Gaming Aids

Post  Mhael on Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:18 pm

Some sort of tool to 'mind the gap' ( yes thats a chive reference) for 1" spacing and a wheeling tool which i have an idea for
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:28 pm

Interesting discovery, GW Calvary bases are 24mm wide. This means my Calvary movement trays are 5mm too wide. Some adjustment will be made.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:41 pm

nathanr wrote:Interesting discovery, GW Calvary bases are 24mm wide. †This means my Calvary movement trays are 5mm too wide. †Some adjustment will be made.

I've read many threads on this and they're inconsistent. Also, make the trays as if the bases are 25mm (suggestion) It's annoying trying to put models on a movement tray where they barely fit.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:16 am

I did, thatís how I made the discovery. My 5-horse unit fits with an extra 1/4Ē to spare. Front to back theyíre good though. I want them to fit somewhat snug, I gave 1/2 mm clearance overall front and back for my 10-man trays and they fit perfectly.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:12 am

nathanr wrote:I did, thatís how I made the discovery. †My 5-horse unit fits with an extra 1/4Ē to spare. †Front to back theyíre good though. †I want them to fit somewhat snug, I gave 1/2 mm clearance overall front and back for my 10-man trays and they fit perfectly.

Wouldn't you be misrepresenting the width of the unit? Regardless of the actual physical width, they "should" be 25mm, so shouldn't that be the physical width on the table for convenience? Technically speaking wouldn't it be "illegal" to put that unit on the table 1/4 inch more narrow than it should?

Thoughts.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:34 pm

It looks terrible though. I feel like it should be the actual size of the unit not the theoretical size.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:41 pm

Hey Nathan, is it possible to get some basses printed ? Some multi 80◊20 , some 40◊20 , 40x40 and maybe even a shit load of 20◊20 and other normal sizes ?
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:54 pm

Sure thing. Your dimensions seem a little off though. Just let me know how big you want the trays to be in the following format:

5 ranks of 5, 20mm square bases
1 rank of 5, 25mmx50mm cavalry bases
etc.

Do you want them with the wound counter magnet pockets or without?

We can sort it all out at Don's this weekend.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:24 pm

nathanr wrote:Sure thing. †Your dimensions seem a little off though. †Just let me know how big you want the trays to be in the following format:

5 ranks of 5, 20mm square bases
1 rank of 5, 25mmx50mm cavalry bases
etc.

Do you want them with the wound counter magnet pockets or without?

We can sort it all out at Don's this weekend.

I was more meaning like individual model bases not the trays lol. Very Happy
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:03 pm

Oh, that makes more sense. Sure. Do you want magnet pockets in the bottom? Any texture, pattern or design on the top?
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:41 pm

Hmmm clearly I have to think this over more... I didn't even think about the possibility of a pattern or texture. I want to re base my vamps , just not sure to what yet. I was thinking the classic graveyard theme with cobble stones and ruins / overgrowth... not sure how well that would translate on to them when printed ?
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:06 pm

I could do a cobblestone texture that could be painted and have other elements added.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:21 am

nathanr wrote:I could do a cobblestone texture that could be painted and have other elements added.

I think that would be great ! A smaller round cobble I think
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:36 am

Ok, modelling convincing cobblestone is proving to be time consuming. Iíll try printing a test base for you and see if the end product is worth the effort or if you can get a better-looking result with a different method.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:48 am

nathanr wrote:Ok, modelling convincing cobblestone is proving to be time consuming. †Iíll try printing a test base for you and see if the end product is worth the effort or if you can get a better-looking result with a different method.

I will admit Brian and myself have had some success on a larger scale with taxidermy clay and a cookie cutter type mold.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:50 pm

I don't want to know why you two have taxidermy clay.

There are many good methods to achieving cobblestone patterns, one being some sort of clay and a press-on or rolled mold. †Rather than modelling the pattern right onto the bases I might do better to print a mold instead that you can press into the clay/greenstuff/whatever. †I'll experiment and see what I can come up with.

Edit: I found several cobblestone rollers that other people have modelled, I can show them to you this weekend. I'm going to print a test batch of bases tonight so you can check them out before you order "a shit load"
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:27 pm

You definitely don't want to know Wink

*side note* Do you have any more of those turn counters left? And how much you want for 2 more?
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:15 pm

I have no idea what to charge for 3D printed stuff, maybe I should go by print time? Say I charge $0.05/minute of print time, I think the turn counters take roughly 4 hours for 2, so that would be $12. Lets say $10? Is that too much?
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:18 pm

Seems fair to me, i'd look at how other companies / places price maybe?

How many do you have? I'm asking just because i know Brian wants one and a couple of our 40k opponents saw mine and wanted them as well.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:19 pm

I have a few left over from the tourny i will bring down
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:50 pm

Pat was looking for one as well.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:56 pm

I have as many as I want, thatís the beauty of a 3D printer. I donít have any right now but I could print 2 tonight and bring them.

If Andre has some left over he can name his price.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:40 pm

What say we leave the price as is and contribute the funds ti either the league or the club
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum