Empire of Sonnstahl

Go down

Empire of Sonnstahl

Post  nathanr on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:20 am

Ok, I'm getting close to finishing the paint on my imperial guard unit and then I'll move on to my cavalry. †I figured before I do that I should post my list and see if I should make any changes:

Knight Commander - Young Griffon
Plate Armour, Shield
Hand weapon - The Light of Sonnstahl (attacks wound automatically, AP(10), Magical attacks)

Marshal - BSB
Hand Weapon - Death Warrant (Battle Focus, if a hit is scored friendly models w/ parent or support gain battle focus against that enemy unit until the end of phase)
Plate armour - Blacksteel (+2 Armour, Fear)
Shield

Prelate 1
Plate Armour, Shield
Hand Weapon
Rod of Battle - Bound Spell (4/8 ): Augment, Range 12", Lasts one Turn, Target gains +1 to hit with close combat attacks

Prelate 2
Horse
Plate armour, shield
Paired Weapons - Hero's Heart (+1 Att, Str 5, AP(3))

Prelate 3
Horse
Plate armour, Shield
Great Weapon - King Slayer (+X Str, AP and Att where X = # of characters in base contact with bearer's unit)

10 Light Infantry
Handgun
Champion - Long rifle

10 Light Infantry
Handgun
Champion - Long rifle

9 Electoral Cavalry - (Prelate 2 goes here)
Knightly Order Upgrade (+1 Off, Def, Str & AP)
Cavalry Picks (+2 AP)
Full Command - Banner of Speed (+1 Adv, +2 Mar)

9 Electoral Cavalry - (Prelate 3 goes here)
Knightly Order Upgrade (+1 Off, Def, Str & AP)
Cavalry Picks (+2 AP)
Full Command - Banner of Speed (+1 Adv, +2 Mar)

30 Imperial Guard - (Marshal and Prelate 1 go here)
Great Weapon
Full Command - Banner of Discipline

4 Knights of the sun griffon (in my case knights of the wolf)
Lance and Shield
Full Command

3 Knights of the Sun Griffon - (Knight Commander goes here)
Halberd
Full Command

5 Reiters
Heavy Armour
Brace of Pistols
Champion - Repeater Pistol

5 Reiters
Heavy Armour
Brace of Pistols
Champion - Repeater Pistol

Cannon

Total: 4994 points
28% Characters
29% Core
16% Imperial Auxiliaries
5% Imperial Armoury
0% Sunna's Fury

7 Scoring Units
2 Fast Cavalry units
20 Handgun shots, 22 Pistol Shots, 1 Cannon Shot/turn
3 channels, 4 bound spells/turn
1 combat infantry block, 4 combat cavalry blocks

Total model count: 91

I'm not totally married to the idea of 2 blocks of cavalry but I am partial to it. †I do recognize that I'm losing a big part of the Empire strategy by not having any support units besides the imperial guard. †I don't have any models for heavy infantry but I could probably get some if the consensus is that they are necessary for success. †The Imperial Guard are going to be deployed in line formation 8x4. †I don't know if the unit is big enough to survive, I do have 8-10 more models and I could probably make a unit filler or two if need be. †I've tried to keep my army pretty much WYSISYG although my cavalry was assembled when they could still have great weapons so one unit has those, I'm going to call them cavalry picks. †The other unit has hand weapons and shields as they were modeled to have cavalry hammers. †I have a steam tank ready to go and I could cobble together a mortar from what I have in bits and pieces. †I have enough light cavalry to make some crossbows and I have a bunch of flagellants that are both assembled and unassembled. †I also have a war altar with prelate mostly assembled.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Empire of Sonnstahl

Post  Carson on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:31 am

I think that is a tough list, I believe your knights can make use of the parent and support rule if you have a knight commander as general....maybe you have to upgrade them to knights order...I'm not sure.
Agree that the Imperial Guard are smallish but try em out and then go from there.

I like your mounted list...I'm working on something similar for Highborn Elves.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:47 am

Wow this looks like a tough list, I really like your characters. I admit it caught me off guard because it looked like ALOT right away and then i realized you were going for 5000 pts. The Prelates are the new Warrior Priests correct? Like the rod of battle but never had the opportunity to use mine, good item for 60 pts imo. I really like the War Altar but half of that is visuals and half of it is functionality. Why the difference in weapons on the Sun Griffon Knights? Just to be different or? Are the Banners of speed necessary on the knights or would more bodies for the Imperial Guards pay off more? If they are still stubborn they should stick around long enough for one of the many long reaching knight unit to help i'd think. I will say you definitely like your horses Wink. Do they get lances as well as the Picks or?
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:01 pm

@ Carson: The knight commander only makes a unit of knights a parent unit if he is in the unit of knights. †Even if I did that it wouldn't be much use as the only support units I have are the handgunners. †I'd much rather the knights be a support unit to make use of the countercharge and using the parent unit's ranks but that's not an option.

@Sean: Yes, prelates are warrior priest. †3 bound spells that boost the unit they are in, also give the unit hatred which is the main reason I put one in each of my main combat blocks. †The different weapons on the demigryph knights is mostly curiosity. †I wanted to see which would perform better. †Perhaps I'll use them in different roles, the lances to smash through a weak flank while the halberds and general support the main line. †The cavalry had to choose between lances or picks. †I took the picks as I see them more as 1+ armour save combat blocks. †Good for grinding away with AP(3) every turn while the demigryphs can take on the role of shock cavalry. †If I drop the banners of speed I might also drop the banner enchantment on the imperial guard and upgrade those banners of speed to rending banners for the extra AP. †Knights with AP(4) even when they get charged would be a nasty surprise I think. †Maybe more bodies for the IG would be a good thing though. †I'm getting into a rhythm painting them now and can knock out 4 every in 2 evenings of painting.

Edit:

I think the thing I like best about this list is that I can drop it down to 4500 and keep the same units on the table. I drop the prelate's weapons, the champions in the 4 shooting units, the banner enchantments, the musician in the Imperial Guard and 1 Demigryph Knight from the unit of 4 and that's 500 points. I've lost a bit of punch for my characters and a bit less shooting but largely it is the same army. Alternatively, I could do that in the 5000 point army and add a Steam Tank.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:59 am

The priests seem great as always, and in this age of magic you arn't to far behind a "Wizard Master" in terms of how many spells you will get off. Are they able to channel? Do you really think the Rending Banner is necessary for even more AP? id think AP3 would be enough. But my plan is always to hope my opponent rolls more 1's rather than just out class him with skill Razz

Glad to hear the list can be dropped to 4500 Wink haa.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:30 pm

They channel so I'd be getting an extra dice worth of veil tokens each turn until my priests start dying.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:46 pm

That is awesome, can't wait to see this army, less enthusiastic about fighting it Wink haha. Jealous of the warrior priests, are witch hunters still a thing? I still have my 3 Warrior Priests and 3 Witch Hunters left over from my failed empire army.

Imperial Guard naturally stubborn still or need a character for Body Guard?
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:39 pm

Which hunters are a thing but arenít generally used. †Imperial guard have the bodyguard rule and it isnít limited to any one type of character so both my characters have to die before they arenít stubborn. Even still, with 23 great weapon attacks, hatred and battle focus I shouldnít be losing too many combats hopefully.

The most common build for the IG unit is actually to not give them great weapons and instead go with sword and board with the rending banner. †My IG models have great weapons so Iíll going to stick with that.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum