Tomb King 2.0

Go down

Tomb King 2.0

Post  Kal on Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:27 am

Ok so i am shelving Ogres for this league and giving my TK an honest go! Let me know what you think about this list. I went with a Nomarch instead of a Pharaoh because honestly its literally half the points, Same Res, Dis and gives the same Undying Will bonus for literally half the points, all i miss is 1 str and 2 more attacks, which isn't exactly his job. I'm not sure on the Core or the way i'm running the Tomb Guard, hell i might just be running to many Sphinxs idk. Let me know what you guys think, i gotta win me a trophy at the next event!

Updated : Jan 31

General:
Hierophant:
Death Cult Hierarch          465pts
Wizard Master
Book of the Dead

** Just a standard boring wizard.

BSB:
Tomb Harbringer         340pts
Light Armour, Shield, Aspen Bow 4+
Destiny's Call (4+ Aegis) and Dragonfire Gem

Hierophant:
Death Cult Hierarch          465pts
Wizard Master
Book of the Dead

** Just a standard boring wizard.

Core:

40x Skeletons          415pts
Champion, Standard Bearer
Spear, Shield, Legion Standard

** Running these guys 5x8 and counting the extra rank, i have 60 modeled with Spears and 60 with HW's i'm not sold on spears but might help more than parry we will see.

40x Skeletons         415pts
HW, Shield, Legion Standard

** Running these 5x8 as well but with Parry. I like WYSIWYG armies but i may just pretend the spears are HW's or vice versa depending on what works.

24x Skeleton Archers          348pts
Full Command
Aspen Bow 5+

** idk how to run these, was thinking 5x5 with Volley Fire and a bunker for my mage.

31x Necropolis Guard          692pts
Paired Weapons

** These guys are very expensive imo. Not sure how they will hold up with only 1 attack each and no saves. But was planning on running them 8x4

Battle Sphinx          450pts

** Mmm Res 8

Battle Sphinx         450pts

*Mmm more Res 8 and for some reason the Necropolis Guard ontop of these get 2 attacks so these figs have 12 attacks plus a breath weapon. Mean.

Colossus!!!          415pts
Paired Weapons

** Now i have realized this thing is just an expensive giant, but with Str/Res 6 and 6 attacks plus d3+1 grind attacks with a 4+ AS. I think he might scare some peoples! Base is now 50x50 but i think he might take a flank well. I could also drop him to 5 attacks but give him a Scale Of Destiny with 2 bound spells or give him a bolt thrower bow. But i'm not sure, its a new fig and i really wana use it.

3x Tomb Cataphracts 330pts
(necro knights)
Standard Bearer

** Was able to fit a unit of these in for taking out the General and a chaff unit

Charnel Catapult 200pts

** Honestly not sold on this as it only ever hits on 5+ seems like i'm only going to get 2 shots out of it.

Overall 4500 pts

Anyways let me know what you think, my main concerns are the sizes of the skeleton blocks and maybe to much of the same thing. I'm not convinced i need the Nomarch general but for only 250 pts it doens't hurt me that much, altho i could just run a catapult or another sphinx maybe and leave the Wizard as the General.

Last edited by Kal on Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tomb King 2.0

Post  Kuyp on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:02 pm

I would drop at least 10 maybe 11 from the guard bunker, and use 2x hand weapons, with the harbinger also in this unit, but not the monarch. The point difference should give you some good options to get some other things possibly some chariots to help out the rank and file
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:18 pm

The first thought that comes to mind is "how can I chaff the guard" and then kill the rest. Its a problem I see in alot of armies that run a high points block. The trick is to have a tough block that no one thinks is tough.

Thats a 15-16 hundred point block that contains both general and bsb.....I'm not fighting that.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:13 pm

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the input that you'd see "from the other side of the table"

@ Dom- So you thinking just drop the Nomarch? It would free up alot of points and +2 Off/Def doesn't help as much as battle focus. I agree on the 2 HW but i modeled them with Halberds and i am kind of picky about that. But i will point them out both ways and see how the lists look, thanks! I have never been a fan of the TK chariots tbh and now they are reduced to D3+1 impact hits so i don't think they will make the cut, i do have mucho mucho more archers, probably up to 60. Are you running muli wizards in VC? I know they are different but jw. How are the core blocks / tar pits judging off your own experience with undead?

@ Carson- Smart thinking, i had pointed out two blocks of 32 Necropolis Guard with a character in each but was worried about losing the rear rank before they even swing, they are AGI 3 now so 4 on the charge isn't terrible. Maybe you guys are correct on the Chaff and Chariot thing, i could use Chariots as a Chaff Screen to try and funnel you into fighting certain units? Would you fight it if i called you a coward and taunted you by saying your mother was a hamster?

Ok Changes maybe, how about two blocks of 25 Tomb Guard and run them 5x5? OR is that just not enough attacks or ranks to be scary? I admit i like the new horde rule but i feel it didn't help "horde" armies as an extra rank of goblin or skeleton attacks usually won't make up the ranks your missing out on. But when you have elites like elves or warriors making the extra rank attacks thats where it pays off.

Really trying to give TK a solid go this league so appreciate the feedback.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:58 pm

Yeah for vc I take two casters, but the casting abbilty would change based on the rest of the army. Vc core can make great tar pits it taken in large blocks but that does not fit my current play style so I take smaller blocks.

The chariots add to the power of they army and can help with board control, with slow moving troops this is important.

If you run halberds I would be tempted to run the nomarch with them Instead of the harbinger. Or drop both in favor of another unit.
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:09 pm

So, your tomb kings look nothing like Don's tomb kings.  Don's seems like an aggressive list while your's seems more defensive.  That isn't a bad thing, just different.  Like you said in your original post, I'd try to move some points around and get one (or two) catapults into play.  You need to give your opponent a reason to want to close the distance with your infantry blocks and your 24 skeleton archers don't do that by themselves.  Once there you need to win combats or in your case at least have your big units outlast in the casualty game.  Catapults will help soften your opponent's combat blocks to something that won't be able to last in a game of attrition.  Your sphinxes and colossus can help out in cases where you weren't able to soften an enemy unit sufficiently.

This is a dwarf strategy except instead of quality dwarf infantry you've got quantity of unbreakable undead.

Carson can say he's going to chaff your tomb guard but hey, at least you're going to be getting the points for all his chaff units.  6 turns is a long time and if you chew through a chaff unit each turn either he's going to run out of chaff or if you are smart you're going to eventually get your tomb guard into something he doesn't want them to fight.

There's a distinct lack of cavalry and you know how I feel about cavalry but it seems like a solid army.  Give it a try and see what works.  Don't change your list after every game though.  Give each iteration a few chances against a variety of opponents.  Get used to your list and then you'll have a better idea of what consistently works and what consistently doesn't. The variety of opponents is key here. If you only play Brian you'll figure out what works against Brian. I had that issue early in my Warhammer days when my brother and I played an endless series of battles of my dwarfs vs his Bretonnians. I had my dwarf army and strategy dialed in to beat Bretonnians (and specifically my brother's Bretonnians) but when I expanded my opponent base I lost consistently.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:29 am

Made some changes to my list.

@ Dom: I adjusted the list using some of your suggestions, going to try the Tomb Cataphracts (Necro Knights) instead of chariots to start. Sticking with one Wizard for now but going with Paired Weapons on the Tomb Guard

@ Nathan: Yes i attempted to be very polar opposite from Dons list, i do have 3-(9) Necro Knights and 12+ Chariots and 3 Sphinx's but with this list i get to obnoxiously yell "WE ARE LEGION" everytime. But thanks for noticing Razz. I do tend to play more defensively, i have no Faith in some of my armies but i am working on that. I agree about giving my opponent a reason to close the distance, the 24 archers netted i think 4 wounds total all game and most of those were against naked barbarians. Good Call about softening up the enemy units before i have to grind them down, i will stick with 1 catapult and attempt to get a 2nd one. Two would be adequate and probably do more than the Bone Giant in the long run.

Instead of grumpy dwarven infantry i have a silent obedient undead legions!

Yes i know how you enjoy your cavalry, i have never been a fan. Large Footprint, Models dont always rank well, paying a premium for high movement that you can't use in combat and other reasons. I agree i will stick to a list i just have to dial it in a little first, This game i found 35 skeles weren't enough as i never got to use the Legion standard once because i was always 1 or 2 skeles short of that extra rank. I will stick a list down and practice it against multiple opponents.

Super appreciate the input and lengthy posts guys! I can tell thoughts went into this. So appreciate it. Definitely going to use this advice to tweak this list slightly here and there but will attempt to nail something down to try for atleast a dozen games vs different opponents.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum