War on the plains results

Go down

War on the plains results

Post  Mhael on Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:26 pm

For our first year I think we had a successful event. There are some aspects that need polishing. Any feedback is appreciated but I would like to save that for the tournament rambling topic.

Results
Overall winner Geoff Klassen (cumulative score of generaling, painting and sportsmanship)

Best General Dom Mercier
(Combined generaling and sportsmanship)

Best Presented Army Don Matwe
(Judged by tournament organizer)

Best sportsman Derek Brown
(Judged by opponents)

Some very interesting and close matchups happened and this is what washed out.

Name generaling sports paint pts for/against
Peter 38 13 6 8320/6471
Sean 15 12 9 5486/11653
Justin 23 9 8 7088/8820
Dwayne 40 11 6 8761/4035
Blair 35 12 6 6450/4323
Phil 23 10 6 5765/8695
Josh 15 13 5 4449/7429
Nathan 35 10 8 8088/7472
Derek 4 14 11 3680/13913
Geoff 51 3 10 11008/5700
Dom 44 11 5 9158/4493
Don 37 11 12 8305/5515
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: War on the plains results

Post  nathanr on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:57 am

Congrats everyone, wish I could have been there.

Geoff, it looks like you might need to work on your people skills but your game results and painting scores were pretty good!

Derek, nice sportsmanship score, 14/15 is good but Bob Gonda would have gotten 15/15. You’ll have to work on that I guess.

Don another painting prize. You might not win the games but at least you look good while you lose.

Dom, I figured you’d do well with that army. What did you do? Just line up everything across the back edge of the table as spectators while your general took apart your opponents’ armies?

I promise I’ll be at the next one, sounds like the next one can only get better.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GeoffKlassen on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:29 pm

I don;t think that was the problem Nathan they did not like being beaten soundly with a guy you hasn't played a game of 2.0. I took it a little personal cause none of the games really warranted that but if they want to give a subjective score that's their opinion. I've never like subjective sportsmanship score it's used to try to lower someones score to let other people have a chance and should be abolished from future tournaments. We had to get rid of those 15 years ago because of that type of play and go with objective scores.

it used to be scored out of 10.

1. Did the person show up with a legible list
2. Did they have their army book.
3. Did they have movement trays tape measure and tools to speed up play.
4. Did they roll their dice quickly -- yes this is important we used to have players that score better at turn 4 then turn 6 so they would slow it down
5. Was the army WYSIWYG.
6. Did they greet you at the beginning and thank you at the end.
7. Did they have deodorant on aka not stink terriblely
8. Did they know the rules and resolve disagreement quickly and easily
9. Did they measure properly and not push models after moving them. If they reformed did they place the unit and not lift it again.
10. Were they kind and helpful.

I personally had fun all three games but when the army is rolling over people they tend to get hurt feelings so if I offended anyone I am sorry.
GeoffKlassen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:57 pm

Geoff,

I forgot about those lines items we used to have....I like them.

They are not unfair and do obviously reflect on actual sportsmanship.

I would like to see that system come back in the future.
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:07 pm

Those line items are nice but I also like to see a subjective score as sportsmanship is a subjective thing whether you like it or not. Someone could check all those boxes (except maybe #10) and still be a shitty person to play against.

Maybe this list for all games and then at the end you still rank your games from 1-3 or whatever. I might further put a multiplier on that ranking depending on what the score of the game in question was. Here's what I mean: You play a game and win 20-0. Your opponent then gives you a 1 as his/her worst opponent of the day. Maybe you were a bad sport but maybe your opponent is just bitter that he/she lost. If a 1 and a 20-0 loss line up then maybe that 1 becomes a 1.5. Vise-versa, if you lose 20-0 and your opponent gives you a 3 for the best opponent of the day then maybe that 3 becomes a 2.5.

However, if you win 20-0 and your opponent still ranks you as his/her best opponent then maybe that 3 becomes a 3.5.

Maybe I'm just talking out of my ass though. That seems more complicated than it needs to be.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:10 pm

You could just add them all together ... total ? / 30 × the total you were given by all three opponents .

Say you scored well on the ?/10 chart but all three opponent gave you a let's say 24 / 30 × 3 for example equals 72.

Say another guy was maybe the best ranked sport 3 times (9)
But only scored a 12 /30 For whatever reason they get 108.

Another guy score well to moderate 20/30 and got one of all three scores.they get 100

Something like this will mean making sure you are fitting all the ?/10 criteria and making a people's choice matter as well.
Now does it have to be times that number ? Not really but I'm not sure that simply adding the scores together will represent the full idea of being a mench... I mean a good guy
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:07 am

I talked extensively with a guy out of winnipeg and they are using a weighted average system for all scoring. For example the subjective scores would be out of 5 like we have then multiplied by 1.3. Objective scores out of 10 multiplied by 1.2. Player choice painting, T.O paint scoring, best presented, and overrall scores, list comp etc are all done like this with the club deciding where they would like to see each area weighted at. This formula is then posted as part of the players pack so anyone can see which areas they are covered or if they need to spend a few weekends painting, learning the rules, mourning the loss of a really good list that may hurt them in scoring etc
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:18 am

That sounds promising Andre, I'd like to see more details on that.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:46 am

I chatted with a dude named Fabio from the 40 below gaming group. Terriffic guy. Very helpful and has experienced alot of the same issues we have discussed. He is currently trying to find the right contact person to discuss ninth age as he is a 40 k player and the only fantasy he knows being played is aos.
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down