2.0 Winter League Battle Reports

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Re: 2.0 Winter League Battle Reports

Post  PeterW on Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:04 pm

A great game it was! Just playing with the new toys at my disposal was a blast despite my poor positioning/use of Hell Maw gateways. I really did think I had it in the bag but underestimating the potential of some Vermin units along with some solid moves and magic by Carson caused a landslide to my demise.

I had another game against Patrick's Lizardmen last night, my first taste of the new book. Many mistakes were made by me yet again with my Hell Maw, but that did not stop the combats from flowing. Patrick's army boasted a Couatl which I have never faced before, and boy did it put my magic phase to shame. A solid game of back and forth we ended up having to end early, the result a 10-10 draw, no secondary taken. The game could have definitely gone either way were we able to finish. Our friend Jonny whom some of you have met joined us to learn more about the game. Looks like we'll be seeing him rolling dice in no time. Smile

PeterW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:25 pm

Those damn rats lol

I dont know if I will ever bother will the HellMaw it seems like such a one trick wonder kinda thing.

But the new book looks really cool.

Its great that Johnny is coming back.

The Lord of the Night Tourney will be April 20th...hope he plays.
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:43 am

Played a fun game with Nathan R last night at his house. Vermin swarms vs Slyvain Elves......My lone survivor has reported back that there is no need to execute the Seer for failure.

15-5 for Nathan, after secondary and painting 20-4.

A new Seer has risen from the masses to stake his claim as warlord of the great clan....Hail the Council of Thirteen!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:16 am

It was a fun game, my elk-mounted blender lord chewed his way through his rat ogres and a unit of clanrats while taking a single wound for his troubles (which was healed through magic) and my treemen combined to kill the rest of his army. My chaff kept his abomination busy. My wild riders got magicked and shot to death and my dryads valiantly tried to take on units they had no business taking on but to their credit, punched way above their weight class and put on a decent showing.

I was very nervous at the beginning of the game but a few key events in the game (bell rolling a 1 on its first attempt at ringing) and the fact that my 5+ ward saves might as well have been 2+ for how often I was rolling them pushed the game in my favour. Thanks for the game Carson, we'll have to play again soon so I can kill the new Seer as well.

I'm playing Derek and his new Warriors of the Dark Gods tonight at 6 at the Den if anyone else wants to join us.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:10 pm

Carson wrote:Played a fun game with Nathan R last night at his house. Vermin swarms vs Slyvain Elves......My lone survivor has reported back that there is no need to execute the Seer for failure.

15-5 for Nathan, after secondary and painting 20-4.

A new Seer has risen from the masses to stake his claim as warlord of the great clan....Hail the Council of Thirteen!

Seems like there has been a lot of new Seer's lately....the quality of Vermin Leadership seems to be on the decline pirat Very Happy
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:53 pm

Josh and I had a Battle on Thursday night at his place - my first using the new Warriors of the Dark Gods book.

Josh B Empire of Sonnstahl vs Derek Warriors of the Dark Gods

We played the Marching Columns Scenario with Hold the Ground as the secondary objective.

We did random terrain and there was not that much on the battlefield. We had Two forests and two hills on each side of the battle field. Josh deployed as he normally did with everything within 18" of his general. His center held by a large block of Great Swords w/Prelate, behind it a mortar and Wizard on a horse, on the left of the Great Swords he had a block of Halberds and a large block of Spearmen and on his far right he had a unit of Knights with a BSB. On the right of his Great Swords he had a large unit of Knights with his General - a Knight Commander, while on the hill in his right center was a Volley Gun and then he had two units of Mounted Pistoliers.

I tried some of the new stuff from the new book. A Wasteland Giant with a magic spell and spike shields and Chosen Champions in the units, and a Chimera and I put magic banners on each unit....was a fun list but smaller than normal. No chariots and no mounted barbarians.

My plan was to take out his Imperial Guard quickly and hold long enough to take out his Marshall.
Well that didn't work out.

I got first turn after deploy most of my units on my left while on my right I had my Giant he was a distraction that did not work out too long.
My new S7 Hellfire Hereditary spell did well and took out the Reiters that were chaffing me. I moved my units up a bit and looked forward to a quick battle. On Josh's turn one he maneuvered and his Steamtank and fired everything at me and I held across the board.
On turn two I charged my Chimera into the Steam Tank...I did not think I would kill it but I saw that it was getting close to he flank of my Knights. Well on the Empire turn three he charged me and kaboom. His Knights hit a unit of warriors with paired weapons, and his Imperial Guard hit a unit of warriors with halberds and his other knights with his Marshall hit my Knights. The Chaos Knights held one turn and then broke and died, the Imperial Guard killed my Warriors with Halberds quickly while the Warriors with paired weapons beat down the Knights and killed them and the Empire BSB.

I used the Favor of Wrath and it is niiiice...sometimes. It give my units lighting reflexes and +1 Agility. So a lot of human knights took a lot of hits.
My Giant charged into the rear of the Imperial Guard and did one wound...ugh...not a great battle for the new list.
So turn two was the big move of the game....the big bonehead move...I was going to go and kill the Steam Tank with my General and moved him out of the unit .....uhm....I pulled a Don....I parked myself right in front of the Volley Gun...the Engineer was drooling....my Lord had a 4+ Armor and a 4+ Aegis...yeah no that did not help.
In the end my Warriors with paired weapons was the my last and took out the enemy war machines. Just like the Vermin Seer's my Lord did not live to see another battle Very Happy

New Warriors army book is really good. My List was really bad lol

Josh † †Empire of Sonnstahl †16 † † vs † † †Derek † † Warriors of the Dark Gods † †4
Josh got the Secondary
Josh † Empire of Sonnstahl †19 † vs †Derek †Warriors of the Dark Gods †1
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:52 pm

Nice win Josh! I canít wait to read the battle report for Derek and my game! I thought about typing something up but I canít give it the amount of love that Derek puts into these.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:38 pm

Well as Nathan said we got together for a Battle at the Den on Friday night....loads of fun and my first battle against Sylvan Elves.

Nathan R Sylvan Elves vs Derek Warriors of the Dark Gods

We played Encircle with Hold the Ground as the secondary.

We had a fair amount of terrain. I was the attacker and on my right I had some impassable terrain, in the center there was a small ruin right next to the center objective. In my center was also a house and on my left there was a hill while on Nathans right and left there were forests and he placed one in the center with his tricky elf power Rolling Eyes

Nathan had his Prince on a Stag on his right, a Tree Father and two units of Knights. behind and across his center he has 4 units of archers one had his Sorcerer in it. He had two units of 10 dryads and on his left there was a unit of fast cav. The Wardancers which played a big role in the battle were in the center also to the left of another Tree Father.
Due to the placement of the Sylvan Heavy Cav and the large impassable terrain on my right I placed my entire army on my left flak. I had a unit of Warriors with Great Weapons and Mounted Barbarians in the center, while on my left I had my Knights w/Lord, behind them Barbarians w/Sorcerer, a Chosen Chariot on my far left on the right of my Knights were my Feldraks and other two Warrior Chariots and a unit of Warriors with Great Weapons. Behind the Knights I had a Marauding Giant with the Breath of Corruption Spell.

So I was thinking I had to move across the battlefield as fast as I can to avoid the elf arrows as best as I can. Plus I had to kill his Prince and I did think that my Lord could but I had to get into combat fast. What did help me was that a lot of my army was Res 5 and had multiple wounds and my warriors had a 3+ Arm Sv against shooting. I thought that with my new Hellfire Hereditary Spell 2 or 3 D6 S7 and the Breath of Corruption I would be able to take care of the archers and any chaff.

Turn one I moved everything up and was right in the Elves face. On my first magic phase the Giant cast his spell at a unit of Elf Cav....and he miscast affraid affraid It went off and killed 4 of 5 Elf Knights but I forgot the spell for the rest of the battle lol. Now if I remember correctly in the elf turn one he just concentrated shooting at my far right unit of Warriors and Mounted Barbarians. Then on Turn 2 I charged everything I could. My Chosen Chariot charged a elf knight and overran, my Knights charged his Tree Father in front of this Prince and my Feldraks charged his other Tree Father. I may be crazy but I think I charged....Nathan might of...oh well. My Feldraks whiffed...lots of ones for like 3 rounds of combat but finally I got a Warrior Chariot in there also and killed the Tree father. My General and Knights killed the Tree Father broke through and hit his Knights and Prince on a Elk. I lost a couple of knights and could not get my Lord on his General but The Elves broke and ran and I chased but I did not catch him. The Prince did rally and then I charged again and then I remembered I had Divine Enchantments on my General and I was able to kill the Elf Prince.
I had taken the left flank but I was out of position and this was the biggest issue of the game. After my Fledraks finally killed the Tree father and a unit of Dryads I forgot to pivot them to face the center. I had moved my Giant to beside the Feldraks and I charged some archer units in the forest, but them fled and I rolled poorly and I was stuck for another turn. My Warriors in the center were worn down by the archers and then the Wardancers hit them and boom. His Sorcerer in the archer unit fled a couple of times and always managed to rally and his magic was solid...he was able to raise elves from the dead...ack... affraid At one point I believe it was turn 4 he had 4 units fleeing and they were all on the table edge but they all rallyed...ack Elf Leadership rocks.
My General was cocky and charged through the woods and took a DT while an elven bow snuck through, after that he tactically ran behind the rest of his forces directing the battle Very Happy
With multiple wounds I had no fear with charging through the woods...the Sylvan Elves make all woods Dangerous Terrain though so that was an issue.
My forces attempted to reform and get to the objective but I was too far out of position and could not get there, he was also shooting me with bows and magic to slow me down and he did hit me with his Wardancers. In the end I was too far away to bring my forces to bear.

I made a couple of huge mistakes not the least of which was forgetting what weapons my General had in his possession lol. I also was out of position with my Sorcerer for a long time and did not have a lot of magical attacks. I should have moved my Sorcerer out of the unit of Barbarians as he was tricked out to fight and do damage as he had multiple attacks and a 4+/4+. My whiffing Feldraks and forgetting to pivot after the combat also hurt my chances at victory.

At the end I had a small victory and Nathan took the secondary.

Derek Warriors of the Dark Gods 11 vs Nathan Sylvan Elves 9
Nathan had the secondary
Derek Warriors of the Dark Gods 8 vs Nathan Sylvan Elves 12

Of note we played the secondary totally wrong lol...reading it at the end, a token is given to the closet unit at the end of every turn after the 1st....we just played the last turn...oh well.
It was a fun battle and I like the new Warriors book and I have massive respect for the Sylvan Elves...Nathan has a nasty army and it looks amazing.

Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:35 pm

You took first turn and moved up aggressively and I charged turn 1 with a treeman, both units of wild riders and my lord on a stag. The treeman charged your feldraks and the rest charged your knights and lord. My lord killed all but 2 knights but your lord killed 5 wild riders. I fled and escaped but your lord and remaining knight (you lost one to dangerous terrain in the pursuit) charged my other treeman and were joined by your giant.

Other than that you got it right. It was a good game with me scrambling for points after losing all my combat blocks turn 1.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:56 pm

lol thanks for the update...in the future I have to do these reports within 24 hrs.....

I might have been drunk...yeah that's it.

My Lord rocked and if I had played better I could have taken you...a rematch is required...for honors sake....and we can take a shot when ever a model dies!!

Yes that will make these battle reports much more memorable Very Happy
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:09 am

Josh came over last night and we had a late-night game, his Empire vs my sylvan elves.

We rolled frontline clash and king of the hill. We each chose a forest in our opponentís deployment zone as our objectives. Josh had a tough time organizing his deployment, leaving his steam tank and knights a bit stranded behind his front lines. I set up spread across the whole width of the table with a relatively straight shot at his cannon and in bow range of the rest of his war machines.

Iím not going to do a Derek battle report because I donít have the patience or the memory for that but some highlights were my 2 units of wild huntsmen charging the imperial guard, killing 25 of the 30 and then the surviving humans wiped out the huntsmen to win combat with some awesome battle focus rolls. Another highlight for me was when Joshís knights and general charged my wizard and archers in the forest, shrugged off my stand and shoot reaction and then took 4 wounds from dangerous terrain and panicked. I shot down the last of them turn 6. My general didnít fare so great either though. He took advice from Don and Derek, parked himself in the sights of Joshís volley gun and took 6 or 7 cannonballs in the face on turn 2. Dumb way for me to lose 800 points.

Iím the end the elves were able to outmaneuver the humans of the empire and I won 14-6. I won secondary and was fully painted so 19-3. Thanks Josh for the game and weíll have to do it again soon.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:20 pm

Dom and I squared off at the Den today with my list that I meant to play at Don's the other weekend. †Dom had changed up his list as well so it was fresh lists for both of us.

The battle lines were drawn with an attacker/defender encircle scenario and hold the Ground. †Dom took first turn and moved his lines up aggressively with his Varolak running up right in front of my lines. †My turn one I answered his challenge and charged with by greatswords and spears. †a little bit of fire from my prelate †ensured my unit was able to cut down the beast before it could even swing.

What followed was a slow grind of humans versus undead. †My right flank had my sun griffons fighting halberd skeletons for 3 rounds while Dom's right flank attack slowly tore through my left flank of throw away units and small shooting units. †The center saw my spears hold up some charging barrow knights for a couple rounds as my main combat blocks began to grind down the barrow guard and skeles in the middle. †In the end my swordsmen took down the skeles and the greatswords and halberdiers took down two units of barrow guard with characters; mostly due to a clutch cast of +5 ward save on the greatswords saving my BSB from an assured death. †As the game came to a close, Dom's units began to crumble aside from the unit of barrow knights that were in my back field by this point. †

it was a 15-5 victory for the Empire with me picking up the secondary for an 18-2 final score. †Neither of us were fully painted.

The vampires ARE beatable! †At least when they don't have the vampire knights tearing up everything. It was a great game! Thanks for the game, Dom!
blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:28 pm

Traveled to Carson's last night and waged war tabletop style.

Derek Warriors of the Dark Gods vs Carson Vermin Swarm

We played Refused Flank with Hold the Ground as the Secondary.

I thought this scenario would work out well for me as I need to get into combat quickly, but the terrain boxed both of us into a small central area and he has the high ground on his left so he placed his Warp Cannon and Rattling Guns up there.

Carson placed his big blocks in the center but well back form the front line, he had his Screaming Bell in the middle and on his right around a building he had his Abomination and a Rat Hero on a Giant Rat Monster....cool model. On his left he has his guns on a hill and some Pestilence Rats and Globadiers in front of them. In front of his main blocks he had the obligatory rat swarms chaffing me.
I deployed everything as close to the line as I could. My Feldraks, Giant, Chosen Chariot and Sorcerer were on my left near the buidling. In my center I had two units of Warriors a couple of chariots my Knights and then Mounted Barbarians. Behind all this in the center was my Block of Barbarians.

I took first turn and moved everything up and moved my Sorcerer into rage for some magic. Not much happened, I did a couple of wouns to the Warp Cannon and that was it. Vermin turn one his Rat Hero charged a Warrior Chariot, he did one wound and I broke but he did not catch it. For the entire battle the Vermin Swarm did very well in the magic phase. However, through the first couple of turns he merely killed a couple of warriors and his shooting was awesome for me and he did next to nothing with it.
Turn Two came along and the great bog began. Laughing I killed his chaff when he offered it to me and my Chosen Chariot and Giant attempted a long charge at the block of clanrats. The Chariot failed but the Giant made it in, I felt ok, if my Giant can hold my chariot will make it next turn. My Giant held and the Chariot did come in next turn and luckily he did as the Chariot had taken 3 wounds from magic and shooting and was throwing himself into battle to sacrifice himself to the gods. On my right he got a flank charge on my Knights with his Globadiers, my Lord made way and killed 5 rats and they broke and ran, I did not pursue as I was preparing for the larger combats to come and I did not want to take DT's going through the forest. The rats ended up rallying on turn 5 damn.I had been moving all my units up and I had taken two secondary tokens already and then all of our units seemed to be in combat. The Screaming Bell charged and hit some Warriors but they held and on the next turn I flanked the bell with another unit of Warriors and my Sorcerer and it broke but I did not catch it and it ended up rallying on turn 6...ugh.
My Giant died to shear numbers and my Chosen Chariot died from rat guns. My Lord killed the Vermin BSB but the weakened Knights lost combat, only my Champ and Lord lived and they fled and rallied on turn 5. On my left my Feldraks panicked (I think they should be fearless) and rallied on turn 4 and were attacked by the Abomination but they cu that big rat down with their Strength 7 Axes. On my right I did something stupid and I charge his Pestilence Rats with my Mounted Barbarians, things were going well and I thought I could hold them for a turn....I killed 5 rats but got wiped out and the rats came into the big battle and helped turn the tide.
On the last turn I had a choice of making a longish charge with my Lord and Knight Chosen Champ into some Rat Ogres to save my Chosen Champ from a warriors unit fighting by himself or to join the Feldraks in a long charge into a block of rats in the center that could win me the battle with the secondary. I sacrificed the Chosen Champ and went for the long charge...but failed it.... affraid the Feldraks made it in but could not turn the tide by themselves. On the rats last turn he solidified his victory by killing my Chosen Champ and killing my Sorcerer Rolling Eyes Shocked affraid

Was a really fun battle....buildings and terrain played a big factor and I think I only made two dumb moves, but they were with my Barbarians and I dont think they cost me the battle. I got lucky with his poor shooting and despite him dominating the magic phase I think I weathered it pretty well. The Screaming Bell making everything within 12" -2 Off and -2 Def is huge and helped the rats a lot. Its funny he said he should never charge with the Bell and he did and it broke Very Happy Laughing I used Alchemy just because of range issues. Occultism is not as offensive and 18" range is limiting.

Derek Warriors of the Dark Gods 8 vs Carson Vermin Swarm 12
I thought Carson got the secondary but he was adamant that it was a tie - so no secondary was had.
Derek Warriors of the Dark Gods 8 vs Carson Vermin Swarm 14 - He was painted.
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:18 am

Dom and I had a battle last night at his place. Vampire Covenant vs Sylvan Elves. We played marching columns deployment and capture the flags secondary. It was an interesting Marching Columns deployment because we each chose opposite sides to start deploying from. This made for some increased strategy right from the start. Dom ended up mostly deployed on his left flank while I had a smattering of units scattered across my deployment zone but my real power was concentrated on my right flank directly across from Dom's. Dom took second turn and while I advanced slowly, Dom played very aggressively moving a varcolak directly in front of my archers. Through some fancy charge declaration where everything had to go right to be successful I got my lord into him, deleting him from existence. This left my wild riders vulnerable to a charge from his black knights. He charged and then raised up all the knights I had previously killed. If you are thinking that 11 charging knights with a Wight King vs 5 wild hunters seems like a pretty lopsided fight you would be correct. I killed 6 knights before they had a chance to swing and lost 1 wild hunter in return. The remaining knights crumbled leaving the wight king alone and vulnerable to a flank charge by my lord. In my turn the lord did his thing and killed the wight king. On the other flank things weren't looking so peachy for the elves. A unit of those scythe-wielding wraiths and a banshee were wreaking havoc, killing and screaming their way through a unit of wild hunters, dryads and archers before I abandoned that flank and got away from them.

In the middle of the table I charged Dom's two big skeleton blocks, one with blade dancers and dryads and the other with 2 treefathers. Both did an obscene amount of wounds, winning combat by double digits but in Dom's turn a good magic phase brought back 14 in one unit and 16 in the other. I again did a good amount of wounds and it was only a matter of time before both units were gone. His great weapon wielding barrow guard charged into my blade dancers and killed them, overrunning into my dryads. In my turn my wild hunters charged to assist the dryads while my 2 treefathers and lord charged his other unit of barrow guard. The treefathers and general put on the hurt and when the dust settled there were no barrow guard left. One treeman overran into the flank of the other combat which saw everything but the treefather die from my side. I still won combat but he reformed to face me. The last couple turns were a grind between my treefather and the barrow guard. I was sitting on a single wound at the end when I finished off the last of the barrow guard and the vampire crumbled. Seeing the vampire crumble made the wraiths melt away like vapour leaving only the banshee as evidence that the undead had been there.

It was a victory for the Sylvan Elves and I got the secondary making it 20-0 for me. I was fully painted so 22-0. It was about time I got a victory over the undead, I'm 1-3 against them this league although one of those doesn't count because it was in the tournament. Thanks for the game Dom, I credit the win to the fact that there were no vampire cavalry on the table.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:44 am

...aaaand the Blood Knights are back in! Wink
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:43 pm

I've played 4 games against Dom this league and in those games I've played against 4 different lists. †I've liked all 4 lists, this one just didn't match up well against my elves. †It would give a lot of other armies fits but my army is well-suited to kill large numbers of infantry. †That said, if the barrow knights hadn't whiffed their charge and if I hadn't killed his varcolak early on it would have gone very differently for me.

I give Dom a lot of credit for continually changing up his lists, they are always well thought-out and usually have a story behind them. I just go with what I've got painted and use it all league long.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:07 pm

I have to agree with Nathan. Its always fun and frustrating to play against Vampires, especially Dom's Very Happy

I really like that he brings different lists and experiments with this army.

Right now I am like Nathan, I play what i got...but I intend to change that lol
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:36 pm

Ah the vamp knights are taking a time out. I like that list and how it plays but I also like other things.

The one other thing to note about this game was the amount of chances I had to kill his Lord on stag and Nathan saved all but 2 of those chances. I figured it out... 12 hits that stripped away armour, 5 of them that would have doubled ( multiple wounds 2 vrs standard). 10/12 4+ saves made on that bad boy this game !! And the clutch turn 6 5+save on the Freeman. If Nathan had not made that last save I would have saved myself 1600 ish points last turn , ouch !!

Great game Nathan!
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:21 pm

Kuyp wrote:Ah the vamp knights are taking a time out. I like that list and how it plays but I also like other things.

The one other thing to note about this game was the amount of chances I had to kill his Lord on stag and Nathan saved all but 2 of those chances. I figured it out... 12 hits that stripped away armour, 5 of them that would have doubled ( multiple wounds 2 vrs standard). 10/12 4+ saves made on that bad boy this game !! And the clutch turn 6 5+save on the Freeman. If Nathan had not made that last save I would have saved myself 1600 ish points last turn , ouch !!

Great game Nathan!

All my models are made from melted-down horseshoes and the paints made from pigments squeezed exclusively from 4-leaf clovers. Also, my dice are carved from the bones of rabbit feet.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:45 pm

Josh came over last night and we had a quick battle. We played 2000 pts as he wanted to put a list together for Lord of the Night.

Josh Empire of Sonnstahl vs Derek Warriors of the Dark Gods

We played Dawn Assault with Breakthrough as the Secondary.

We played on my table so there was no terrain Rolling Eyes I gotta get some Shocked

Josh dropped his army right away. On his left he had a block of Spearmen, then a block of Halberds, then a block of Imperial Guard with a Prelate (his general) then he had 10 Handgunners, a mounted Sorcerer and a Volley Gun.
Across from this I had a quickly formed but confidant army. On my right across from his Spearmen I had a Block of 15 Warriors of Wrath with Chosen Champ - they had paired weapons, on their left I had a block of 20 Barbarians with a Barbarian Chief as my General. The general had the Hero's Heart and the Amulet of Shielding for a 5+ Aegis (which I forgot about in the battle Rolling Eyes ). To the left of the Barbarians I had a Magical Giant with The Breath of Corruption Spell. To the left of the giant I had a Warrior Chariot then a unit of 7 Mounted Barbarians with paired weapons and the banner of speed.

My plan was to get into him before he shot the hell out of me. I was weak in magic, but I had Breath of Corruption on the Giant and I put Icon of the Infinite on my Warriors, this gave me my Hereditary Hellfire Spell as a bound spell.
Josh had only a Wizard Adept with two spells but the Prelate has 3 Bound Spells that buff his unit.

Josh went first and I took some shooting wounds right away affraid I dispatched his magic easily...this was a common theme for both of us all battle. My Mounted Barbarians charged his Mounted Sorcerer as he had moved up to be in range for his magic. He did not realize I far I could go, he fled with his Sorcerer and my Mounted Barbarians failed and moved up 6 inches. I moved up my other units and he got rid of my magic easily also.
Turn two things got fun. His Volley gun opened up on my Warrior Chariot and Boom affraid it was gone, confidently my Giant passed his Dis test. His Handunners did nothing and he moved his blocks preparing from the coming battle. On my turn I charged his Handgunners with my Giant, he fled and I redirected into his Volley Gun and my Mounted Barbarians also charged his Volley Gun. Magic passed quietly once again. I took out the Volley Gun and over ran with my Mounted Barbarians into his Mounted Sorcerer Very Happy and my Giant over ran to avoid being charged by the Imperial Guard.
Turn three came and he made a bold charge with his Halberds and Spearmen into my Warriors of Wrath while his Imperial Guard moved up to threaten my Barbarians. In his magic phase he buffed up his Imperial Guard but I did not care as they were not in combat yet. In Combat my Warriors of Wrath fucked up his Spearmen and Halberds Very Happy Cool Cool I had agility and with paired weapons I had a lot of attacks. I killed like 10-12 Spearmen and 8-10 Halberds and I lost 3-4 Warriors...but he had big blocks and was steadfast. My Mounted Barbarians did only one wound to his Sorcerer but I won combat and ran him down. On my turn my Barbarian block got a flank charge on the Halberds - Boom affraid Laughing
My Mounted Barbarians came back onto the table and my Giant moved towards the Imperial Guard. My magic was once again dispelled effectively by Josh. In Combat my Barbarians and Warriors killed all but 2 or 3 Halberds and my Warriors took a few more wounds but killed a another 10 Spearmen. I might have killed all the Halberds Wink My Barbarians did not pursue they just pivoted to face the oncoming Imperial Guard. My Warriors pursued the Spearmen and ran them down. Josh then charged his Imperial Guard into my Barbarians and buffed them up during his magic phase, I could not stop all three bound spells, I think he got the re-roll wounds off. In combat I went first and killed 10 Imperial Guard and did no wounds to his Prelate who had a 4+ Aegis. His Imperial Guard did their job and butchered my Barbarians, he killed like 12-15 of them. I had extra attacks with my paired weapons but he has hatred and re-rolls affraid affraid I broke but he did not catch me. On my turn I was too far away to charge him so I moved and he dispelled my magic again. On his next turn he pivoted and buffed up his Imperial Guard again I believe with the 5+ Aegis this time. On my next turn I charged his Imperial Guard with my Mounted Barbarians and Giant, they did OK but after killing only a handful of Guardsmen my Mounted Barbarians and Giant fell in combat. There was two rounds of combat somehow, I do remember that as he got that Bound Spell that did wounds to enemy in combat and my Giant took some wounds. In the end he killed both units and on turn 6 I charged his Imperial Guard with my Warriors and wiped him out.

It was a lot of fun, this 2000 pt battle went quickly and shooting can play a huge roll as the battlefield is smaller. If someone invests in a big magic caster that that could be a game winner as they would dominate that aspect of the battle. I think his army would have been better with more shooting and some mounted troops and I like the Prelate as a General. I made the usual mistakes like forgetting my load out on my characters and missing stuff. My Warriors did awesome but I had them 5 wide with 3 ranks, I should have spread them out 7 wide and gotten more attacks.

Josh Empire of Sonnstahl 5 vs Derek Warriors of the Dark Gods 15
I got the secondary with my Warriors.
Josh Empire of Sonnstahl 2 vs Derek Warriors of the Dark Gods 18
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterW on Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:40 pm

Andre and I had a battle with our 2000 pt. lists tonight, my Warriors against his Dwarven Holds. The scenario left me as the defender's deployment and Andre with the attacker's side. Secondary was Capture the Flag.

The Dwarven forces boasted a horde formation Greybeard unit led by a Runic Priest, a six strong unit of Hold Guardians and two units of Handgunners one with the General inside. On the opposing end the Warriors army was led by a steed mounted Sorcerer and contained a block of Warriors of Pride, a small unit of Chosen Knights, a Wizard Giant and some Warhounds and Barbarian Horsemen.

Turn one showed little to no movement on the Dwarven side and being out of range for shooting and magic the game shifted to the Warriors who marched their way forward, Warhounds chaffing the Hold Guardians and holding a charge in the flank from the Greybeards in turn 2.

Some minor shooting and magic later, my Warriors block and Giant charged into Andre's Greybeards, an epic combat soon to be flanked by the Hold Guardians. As my Warriors were beaten down to only the Champion and Standard, they fled while my Giant remained, crushing the remaining Greybeards and Runic priest before running straight into a Wyrmslayer Rocket and meeting his end.

My Chosen Knights were able to take up the flank and run through the two Handgunner units along with the Dwarven General while the central bloodbath panned out and my wizard continued to do...well not a whole lot. The Hold Guardians were chaffed by my Barbarian Horsemen who played the flee, rally, harass game and ultimately ran off of the table. A flee reaction by the Hold Guardians was made to prevent a rear charge by the Chosen Knights but with all of their bad luck they managed to fail their rally attempt.

End result was a 14 - 6 victory for Peter's Warriors, obtaining the secodary making it 17 - 3.

Really good game, hard to pick but I'd call my Giant MVP as he wrecked his fair share of Dwarves. I enjoy the small game size and look forward to trying it more but am wondering if taking magic is really worth it when the reactive player gets the same defense in the magic phase that they would in a 5000 pt. game. Maybe I just need to look at different ways to play the phase cyclops
PeterW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:36 am

Josh and I squared off last night in another of these tournament prep games. Empire vs my cave Goblin hordes. Its a good idea to test out these lists before the tournament as my army plan didn't work out Sad My goblins were run into the ground suffering a 20-0. Josh played a good game and I couldn't get through the empire armour.

Looking forward to the tournament as these small point games are really fun and fast.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:04 am

Played a 2000 point game with Andre last night, my dark elves vs his dwarfs. The battle pretty much hinged on a single combat between my dread knights, raptor chariot and warlocks vs his general and greybeards. My general failed his charge roll to get into the flank of that combat and while I won the first round I was 3 wounds short of getting rid of Andre's steadfast. He held allowing his hold guardians to slam into the flank of my knights, wiping them out. Amazingly my warlocks held on a 2 which is what I needed. My general again failed a charge leaving him stranded in front of Andre's hold guardians. Elsewhere my dark raiders killed off both Andre's units of handgunners. The warlocks eventually broke and fled but Andre didn't pursue, rather he went after my more vulnerable Dark raiders. I rallied the warlocks and went back after the greybeards with magic. Eventually I killed enough to cause a panic check, the remaining 5 models broke and fled off the table. I then tried to kill his vengeance seeker with shooting but it wasn't to be. The hold guardians finished off my general and chariot and the game ended with 4 dark raiders and 2 warlocks on my side and 6 hold guardians and a vengeance seeker on Andre's side. We added up the points and it was 11-9 for him but his hold guardians picked up the secondary making it 14-6 for Andre. I think we were both fully painted so 16-8.

It was a fun game and we were done in less than 1.5 hours so that bodes well for the tournament. With that loss my winning streak is at an end and I'm back to .500 on the season. Good game Andre!
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:27 am

Don came into the city yesterday and we squared off in a 5000pt point league game in the evening. Knights of Equitaine vs The Vermin Swarm. The game was over quickly and very bloodily (on one side). My rats swarms were quickly run over top of and by turn 3 I had little left. 20-2 for Don. Next time Matwe!

Tired Of the failure from the Seer cast, the council has issued orders for the clans Tyrant to assume command of the hordes. Hail the council of 13 Very Happy

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:37 pm

Carson wrote:Don came into the city yesterday and we squared off in a 5000pt point league game in the evening. Knights of Equitaine vs The Vermin Swarm. The game was over quickly and very bloodily (on one side). My rats swarms were quickly run over top of and by turn 3 I had little left. 20-2 for Don. Next time Matwe!

Tired Of the failure from the Seer cast, the council has issued orders for the clans Tyrant to assume command of the hordes. Hail the council of 13 Very Happy

To be fair to Carson, my dice were on fire! Or average for Bretonnians depending on who you ask. Wink
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next