2.0 Winter League Battle Reports

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Re: 2.0 Winter League Battle Reports

Post  Kuyp on Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:02 pm

War on the plains game three

Petter vrs valnerian

This was quite the game with deployment as it was I simply put all my chaff on one side in front of his crushers and general. Petter had a pretty even spread and I loaded a flank and then put valnerian and his guard on the other as far left as possible. In turn one petter declared a long charge with some warriors against valnerian and made it , everything else pushed. Magic was ineffective bassed on range. The first combat made a series of event happen that made the rest of the game very difficult for petter. Valnerian killed 6 warriors! , I ran him down and crashed into some dogs = dead, then a big beast = dead. then pivoted and crashed into some ... chosen ? All died but one with only one wound and was stubborn. Else where his general had managed 2 / bat swarms, and was engaged with wraiths and an alter of undeath. His giant and barb horsemen ground down the barrow guard, but some zombies charged the barbs and made them run. At thus point valnerian was free to kill the giant and overrun into his sorcerer, however did not kill him or even wound him surprisingly. He ran from combat and got away. The warriors general and crushers unit killed off the wraiths and alter as well. At this point both our generals units were pretty much side by side looking in opposite directions. Petter was reluctant o charge head first into a massive block of skeletons with spears, as there was not a good chance to grind me down in only 2 turns. Petter asked me if he moved his general out in the open so that valnerian could see him if I would fight it out, and I did. The rest of the game didn't matter at thus point, it came down to two absolute monsters going mono eh mono, the first round of turn 6 fighting was a pillow fight, but the second I used a great weapon so petter went first and did squeaked a wound through but it caused d3 .... oh my GOD was that a tense moment ! When the dice only gave him two wounds !, valnerian very upset decided to swing back and cause two wounds to the general, I won combat by one point, 1 point ! And petter rolled 10 twice. And ran , HOLY SHIT BALLS ..... FAILED -TO -CATCH !!!! but wait there's more ! He ran through a forest in the flee, tripped and died !

What a great epic game ! Even though petter did forget some of his gear, looking back so did I all day as well. Not that my forgotten gear would have had to much effect on the game but still, sucks when you forget things.

18- 2 win for Dom
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:04 pm

Brian vs Sean
Warriors of the Dark Gods vs Tomb King
Front line clash and Secure the Center

19-1 Victory for Sean, Secondary to Sean

This was a bloody game and all that was left at the end was Brians Daemon Prince that just finished beating up some Necro Knights. Brian started the game off brimming with confidence and dropped his whole army on the first deploy BAM! This gave me a chance to kind of counter drop him but i did not optimize this as i was just trying to get my units to fit well. Continuing on with the Confidence displayed earlier Brian got first turn and marched his whole army up their max distance. Everything was going great for him right up until i got my turn 1 Wink. Both my Sphinxs got a long charge off on a unit of knights and spent two turns mopping them up. Turn 1 my bone giant also got a long charge on his Once Chosen and blasted 4/6 of them into oblivion on the first turn. I admit everything was so close i charged anything that i could. Catapult Misfired first turn (honestly hate catapults) and the rest of my units shuffled closer. Next highlight for me was my smaller Tomb Guard unit with only BSB chopped through TWO units of 28 Chaos Warriors and a Wizard on a Disk, i now see why people avoid the Tomb Guard, thats a lovely 3+ armour save you have there Mr Chaos Warrior, it would be ashame if someone... rolled 6s and had Lethal Strike Very Happy. Brians 2nd unit of knights attempted to make up for the first knights blunders and slaughtered the Bone Giant before it even swung and over ran into my Catapult. then a block of 40 Skeletons tied them up for the rest of the game, in classic fashion i dind't have to roll well, just waiting until Brian inevitably rolled five 1's for his knights Armour save. Took almost the rest of the game though. One of his Warrior Bunker got tied up on my other 40 man Spear skele block for a couple of turns, definitely not a fan of the Spears. After they finished with the Skeletons they turned to face the Tomb Guard (foolish mortals) End of the game i had half a Skele Block, 16 ish Tomb Guard, my untouched archer block and two almost full HP sphinxs left. Brian was trying out a new list and i admit i looked across the table and it was all 1+ and 3+ armour saves EVERYWHERE, at first i was afraid... i was petrified. But then i just rolled alot of 6's Wink

Another fun game with Brian and now that hes shaken off the rusty dice i'm sure next game will go much differently for me Razz. Also he is trying to get a game in with Justin or Don this weekend, gotta spread out the beatings!
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:33 pm

Had a fun game last night. Carson (vermin swarm) vs Dom (vampire covenant).

We both took different lists than our usual fare. I was trying out some brotherhood (plague monks), swarms, and a large unit of Vermin Hulks. Dom was running the ghoul version of his undead hordes. We got into it early with Dom forcing me to take first turn my army rapidly advanced forward leaving his ghoul bus and vampire a tempting charge on my bus of vermin guard and friends. Those blocks hacked it out for 4 rounds with the rats loosing an assassin, 3 wounds on the rat ogre riding bsb and most of the vermin guard but forcing the crumble of the vampire count. Dom took it in stride and continued to pick away at the rest of my army, eventually killing most of it, but leaving me my points rich infantry blocks. Ended in a 17-3 after secondaries for the rats.

beware bat swarms, those little bastards took out my lightning canon and abomination.

Hail the Council of Thirteen!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:06 pm

Nathan and I had a game last night.

Sylvan elves vrs vampire coven

Game type was marching column with secure target ?? The one where you each place a token.

I deployed almost everything one flank, with the exception of my varkolak on the extreme opposite flank. I took turn one and moved up very aggressively with the varkolak the rest also moved up pretty fast as well with strigoi form valnerian and his ghouls leading the way. Early in the game I broke a unit of dryads and chassed them in to the back field hitting an eagle and getting out of charge arc of one treefather. The treefather would then charge into 4 crypt ghouls fighting for three rounds before dying to poison. Else where the varkolak killed an eagle and caught the attention of a unit of heath riders, archers , scouting archers, and a treefather. .....he got killed pretty fast lol. Nathan also had a good charge on my grave guard unit with his general on a stag and 5 wild riders. It's is worth noting that Nathan general had suffered a single wound just before this from magic....anyway Nathan killed 29/ 30 before I got to swing .... I put them both against his general , and caused one wound with lethal strike = dead scary as fuck hits like a ton of bricks elf on a stag...

After that my units slowly chipped away at what he had left, leaving just over 1000 points of elf and over 3500 points of undead left in the table with each of us holding an objective.

16- 4 for Dom, Nathan was painted
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:35 pm

The elf lord on a stag did 11 wounds on the charge to the grave guard before crumbles. Not too shabby. If he’d done 12 he would have survived though...
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:24 pm

Josh and I had a Battle last night at the Den - place was packed...a lot of 40K and Flames of War going on.

Josh B Knights of Sonnstahl vs Derek Warriors of the Dark Gods

We played the Counterthrust Scenario with Hold the Ground as the secondary objective.

We did random terrain and I ended up having a lot on my side of the battlefield - it was not too bad but it narrowed deployment - which I usually like, I had two hills and a forest on my side of the battlefield while Josh had one hill and some cliffs on his far right flank. Josh deployed well with his center held by a large block of Great Swords w/Prelate, behind it a mortar and Wizard on a horse, on the left of the Great Swords he had a block of Halberds and a large block of Spearmen and on his far right he had a unit of Knights with a BSB. On the right of his Great Swords he had a large unit of Knights with his General - a Knight Commander, then a small unit of Flagellants behind it while on the cliffs was a Volley Gun and then he had two units of Mounted Pistoliers.

We played 5000 pts, so I simply added a Chariot, a Forsaken Warrior, a Feldrak and a couple of magic banners to my Plains War tournament list. I countered his Great Swords with my Warriors (BSB & Lord), to the right of this I had my Forsaken then my block of Barbarians with the Giant (hugging near a forest) and finally on my right I had my Feldraks. To the left of my Warrior block I had two Warrior Chariots then a Chosen Chariot and on my far left flank I had my Mounted Barbarians.

My plan was to threaten his left flank with my Fledraks, I had visions of getting a flank charge on his Spearmen, while just moving up my Barbarians and Forsaken and not engaging the Empire blocks but his Knights. On my left flank I had wanted to vanguard and move around his lines with my Mounted Barbarians while engaging his Knights with my Warriors and threatening the rest of his units with my three Chariots. My Sorcerer was in the Barbarian block and my plan was to weaken him with magic before engagement. Well this did not work out Shocked Evil or Very Mad My vanguarding Mounted Barbarians were basically blocked in by his two units of Mounted Pistoliers, so they chaffed his Knights while the rest of my forces moved up....turns out I moved up too far. Basically what happened was that I moved too far up and his magic over powered mine. His Knights accepted the chaff and charged the Mounted Barbarians, his Great Swords with a Prelate charged my Warriors w/BSB & Lord, his other Knights charged my Forsaken....boom....In his first shooting phase he took out a chariot and thankfully missed with his mortar and then in magic buffed up the Great Sword Army tremendously. His Knights killed 5 of 6 Mounted Barbarians (the last one fled hard), his Great Swords felt some pain and I did 12 wounds but he counted that with 16 wounds to the Warriors, the Warriors broke and he took the center and killed my BSB and Lord, my Forsaken only took 1 wound and held the charging Knights. On my turn 2 my Chosen Chariot charged his reformed Knights, the Warrior Chariot charged his Great Swords in the flank and my Barbarians flank charged the Knights engaged with my Forsaken....the Feldraks moved to threaten the Spearmen and support the Barbarians. My Chosen Chariot whiffed hard and despite its many attacks the combat was a push after taking two wounds. The Warrior Chariot, which had 2 wounds on it from shooting - damn Pistoliers, killed a few Great Swords but was struck down...ack... Shocked Fortuantely the Barbarians prevailed and while the Forsaken unit lost a warrior to the Knights the Knights did break but the last remaining Knight was not run down and did survive the battle. My Barbarians held and reformed and faced the Halberd block. On the Empires turn...well they cleaned up. The Chosen Chariot was struck down by the Knight Commander, the remaining Mounted Barbarians - who had rallied - was killed by the Pistoliers, the Halberds and the Spearmen charged the Barbarians and beat them down and then ran them down. The Feldraks paniced and fled near the edge of the battlefield. Only good thing that happened was that the Forsaken which survived as the Great Swords that charged them failed their charge due to the lone surviving Knight blocking the path.
Things looked grim for the Forces of the Dark Gods. The Feldraks didn't suffer fools anymore and simply ran off the battlefield never getting into combat, while the failed warriors that are the Forsaken charged into death - into the Great Swords. The Forsaken struck down 2 weak human Great Swords and then were fully dispatched by the mighty blades of Sonnstahl.

This list is not working for me Rolling Eyes ....The Giant is not living up to reputation...in 4 battles with this list I have been tabled 4 times...the Giant is not the killing machine I thought he was...such a cool concept and model though. His Offensive Skill of 3 is a hindrance. I am going to drop the BSB and see what happens. My battleplan I think was solid....I can take the Empire Knights....the blocks with the combat res is an issue.
Anyway fun battle, Josh deployed really well and the lack of shooting hurts me...but the Warriors of the Dark Gods are such a cool army Very Happy
The Empire of Sonnstahl is a solid army, the various units combined with the Generals Orders and many unit buffs available make it deadly.

Josh B Empire of Sonnstahl 17 vs Derek Warriors of the Dark Gods 3
Josh got the Secondary

Josh 20 Derek 2 (I was fully painted)
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:58 pm

Sean and I had a good game today. It was a counter thrust game today. capture the flag. I ended up snagging 2 of Sean's scoring units and he only got 1 of mine but because of very poor dice rolls,I lost 15/5 in points 12/8 for the objectives.
Brian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:36 pm

I got two battles in yesterday.

Pat V Saurian Ancients vs Derek B Warriors of the Dark Gods

We played Frontline clash with Spoils of War as the secondary.

After a few unit deployments Pat dropped his army down...he wanted that first turn.

Pat was pretty spread out along his battleline with his General in a large unit of Saurus Cav on his far right flank, to the right of this he had two Stegadonsm a salamander, some skinks and then a large block of saurus int he center with his BSB then more skinks and on his left he had his Croxigors...I am unsure what their 9th age titles are.
I deployed tightly int he center with a Chaosen and Warrior Chariot on my far left flank and my mounted barbarians on my right. My plan was to quickly use my Mounted barbarians to take the center and right token and get that secondary.

Well Pat had first turn and had two vanguarding units of skinks while I then realized that my Mounted Barbarians are not vangarding...ack....sorry guys, it changed and I did not notice.
Well I took the bait and charged his skinks, they fled and my mounted barbarians moved hard right to get the first token...the center was too busy. basically what happened was that my chariots on the left tied up his Generals unit, and his Croxigors failed a panic check I believe and moved back while in the center on turn two I was lucky and got a big charge off on his Saurus with his BSB. My Warriors, Forsaken and a Chariot hit them and did like 20 wounds and they auto broke....it was the turning point in the battle. The mounted barbaians did end up grabbing two tokens, lost them when they fled from a charge but I got them back with my warriors.
Was a fun battle and we did have a couple of rules issues we had to look up...I keep forgetting the Terror and Fear rules.

It would have played out differently if Pat had deployed his Generals unit in the center near his Saurus block, thank god he didnt Very Happy

Pat V 3 Derek B 17
I got the secondary and we were both painted.
Pat V 2 vs Derek B 22

Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:52 pm

In my Second Battle yesterday I played Josh.

What happened was that Pat and I were going to play at the Den at 11...but when I got there I realized there was a large 40K tourney on. It was packed and they had a very nice spread of food I must say.....we should do that...sort of a tourney and pot luck lol
Anyway Josh showed up and so Pat and myself played at his place, after Pat left Josh and I played.

Josh B Empire of Sonnstahl vs Derek B Warriors of the Dark Gods

We played FrontLine Clash with Capture the Flags (poorly titled) as the secondary.

As pat did Josh dropped his army after a couple of units.....he got that first turn.

I loaded up my right flank with the hope of overwhelming him and breaking his lines.
On my far right I had my Forsaken in front of my Warriors, to the left of them I had a Warriors Chariot then Barbarians in the center and Feldraks and two more Chariots on my left. Josh had 2 large units of Knights on his left then next to that he had Spearmen, halberds, then Mounted pistoliers and war machines with his Imperial Guard (Great Swords) in his center.
Well is guns of all types took the left flank, my Feldrak fled from combat to try and lure him in and that did not work, while on my right he made short work of my Forsaken with two units of knights and there was a game changing battle with two units of knights and my unit of warriors. In the center after my Barbarians felt the wrath of his mortar I had to get them into combat. They did ok but but after there was a long charge on them I fled thinking I could recover but they were ran down....yep I over-thunk it Shocked affraid
Oh well the battle hinged on the big combat on my right and my warriors did awesome through 2 rounds of combat. Alas in the third round the knights summoned up some unheard of gumption and won the combat by 7....I whiffed hard....my big unit was run down and then Josh just mopped up the rest of the Chaos army.
I could have deployed better, I could have rolled better, he worked his magic really well.

Josh B 17 vs Derek B 3
Josh got the secondary and I was fully painted.
Josh B 20 vs Derek B 2
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:01 pm

Awesome Games Day at Carson's....Thanks for hosting and Happy Birthday again Dude...great way to spend your Birthday I think Very Happy

I got in two battles.

Derek B Warriors of the Dark Gods vs Nathan A Dread Elves.

We played Dawn Assault with Capture the Flag as the secondary.

I have not played against the Dread Elves in 9th Age and I was looking forward to the battle. I was worried about the 2 Bolt Throwers and the 20 crossbowmen but I decided to stay in the forest and well away from his units.
Nathan's Dread Elves look great and I really like his Dragon with the Princess (General) model. I was not too worried about his Hydra but I did admire the model.
Well the deployment phase went well for me and thats about it affraid
I went first and moved everything up, I really needed to get into contact on the flanks. Well my first dice roll of the game was a spell - cast the Rot Within on 4 dice onto his unit of Heavy Cav and it went off with 4 sixes!!! Shocked affraid Shocked My Sorcerer then blew up...BOOM... Sad
On his turn one his heavy cav charged my Feldraks, they fled so I could counter charge him with a chariot and Mounted Barbarians and hopefully over run into a bolt thrower pass his Hydra and get behind his lines. I did three wounds, he held and at the end of the battle he still had those two Dread Elf Cav left Shocked
Highlight for me was when he got his Chariot into the flank of my Chosen Chariot, I took one wound and outright killed his chariot Laughing
However, I did not heed the warnings and charged my Warrior Block with BSB and Lord into his Tower Guard..... affraid I did like 9 wounds...but he did 18.... affraid My BSB, Lord and the Standard Bearer fled, and again the next turn but did rally in the end.

Nathan has a tough army...that unit needs to be shot up or magiced to death. It hits first on a 2 and wounds on a 3 with 1's re-rollable and they are strength 5 or 6 and have hatred...ugh

Nathan A 15 vs Derek B 5
Nathan got the secondary and I was fully painted.
Nathan A 18 vs Derek B 4

Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:21 pm

In my second Battle at Carson's Birthday Games Day Spectacular I played the Bday boy himself, Carson "I always liked sauerkraut" Gallant and his sick and twisted Vermin Swarm.

Carson Vermin Swarm vs Derek Warriors of the Dark Gods

We played Refuse Flank with Spoils of War being the secondary.

I was happy with the scenario as I felt I would get into combat sooner than normal. I went heavy on my right flank with my mounted barbarians and warriors on my right facing the bulk of his army. It was a Screaming Bell Bunker kinda game.
I did alter my army list a bit...I took out my BSB and added a Feldrak Elder.
On my left flank I had three chariots - two warrior and one chosen. I thought they could hold the flank against his Plaguebearers and his brotherhood and Abomination. Nope Sad Shocked
His Plague Bearers got a flank on one chariot due to terrain and then killed it then killed another affraid My Chosen chariot got a charge onto the Abomination and did one wound and lasted two rounds of combat before being flanked....8 attacks at Off 7 is great but Strength 4 does not help.
Once again I fled with my Fledraks to setup a charge and then fled for three turns affraid They did survive the battle.
In my center and on my right he chaffed the hell out of me.
In magic I sacrificed my Barbarians to the Chaos Gods and cast Marked for Doom on his Assassin 3 times only doing 1 wound Shocked affraid
My Fledrak Elder got shot up and had magic thrown at him and had one wound left...I had to charge something. My big mistake and what turned the battle was when I charged his Vermin Hulks with my Lord and Feldrak Elder, the Lord left the unit behind....as Carson rightly pointed out I should have charged the chaff and pivoted towards the Vermins Hulks.....big mistake. Feldrak Elder died and Lord was ran down....he is not that nasty and Vermin Hulks are.
The Superstars of my army were my Forsaken...I had a small unit of 4 of them and they charged, beat down and ran down a large unit of clan rats....actually they pushed on the first round of combat. Then they charged and beat down the large block with the Screaming Bell....well actually the Screaming bell held the first round of combat, but then they broke and I did not catch them, but then I charged again and they broke and fled off the table.....Some timely vermin failing dice rolls there Very Happy
Carson has a solid Vermin Swarm Army list there and I would say he will challenge for the League Championship this time.

Carson 14 vs Derek 6
Carson got the secondary and I was painted.
Carson 17 vs Derek 5

Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:34 am

Brian and myself had another game on Sunday,

Tomb King vs Lizards

Counterthrust and Hold the center.

Victory for Brian 11-9 - Neither painted and Neither got the secondary.

Was a good game, highlights were his Temple Guard completely obliterating the Tomb Guard in one round of combat, they have some sort of new fancy Tribal Mace that gives them +2 str. no armour piercing but still Str 6 Temple Guard with 2 attacks each hurt alot. His carnosaur went through a Sphinx and a unit of archers before i managed to bring him down with shots and magic, I will say Brian ALWAYS rolls like a beast for breath weapons and spells. if he gets 2d6 anything it'll be 10-11-12 every time. He out played me quite well this game as i never got a whole block of 40 skeletons or 1 of 2 sphinxs into combat once. This allowed him to sweep into my army and take it out piece by piece. Definitely can't let myself get surrounded again. Brian has a new dice cube and i think the mojo is swinging in his favor now !

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:03 pm

Totally forgot to post reports from the Monday gaming, thanks to Carson for hosting of course *round of applause*.

Like Derek said in his write up, tower guard are infantry destroyers, not amazing against some other things but they have to have some weakness. And it really helped that his wizard exploded turn one, really unfortunate for him but I do have the displeasure of knowing exactly what that's like Razz

And thank you Derek for the kind words about my army, I'm really pleased with how it looks and it's nice hearing other people feel the same way!

Anyways my second game was against Pat and his Saurian Ancients. It was attacked defender and capture the flags secondary.

Highlights included a turn two charge from my Dragon Princess into a unit of Saurian Cav and his lord. We fought a duel of General vs General, my dragon didn't even have to attack as my Princess inflicted 4 ap6 wounds and Pat failed 3/4 regen saves, BOOM! His unit held as they were steadfast but an important chaffing maneuver from my harpies prevented his caymen from providing support. The dread princess finally caused the Cav unit to flee with only one member remaining, hoping it would fail a single rally test at half leadership and flee off the table, it did not. This lone guy then survived 12 bolt thrower shots and hid behind a hill, preventing secondary.

I was then able to combo charge the caymen with a hydra and a chariot, and with the help of spells did a ton of wounds and caused them to flee, I ran them down but left my hydras flank wide open to a stegadon charge! He charged and with impact hits and attacks did much too much damage for my hydra to survive, it died outright and Pat overran into the chariots flank, BOOM! Another unit destroyed by the angry dino.

Tower guard went for vengeance against the dinosaur, and were able to kill it, losing all but 2 of their members in the process, OUCH!. My raptor knights charged his big saurian block, hoping to slow them down, and with the help of spells did 10 WOUNDS! It mattered not as I was unable to kill enough of them to grab any points.

With 2 scoring units taken by Pat and only one taken by me he took the secondary.

SCORE: 12-8 win for the Dread Elves.

Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:02 pm

I got no gaming in on the weekend....but I did get my table setup finally...now to make some terrain Shocked

I did get a battle in against Josh last Thursday night. I slapped together Dread Elf list and Josh went with a shooting heavy Empire list.

Josh  Empire of Sonnstahl vs Derek Dread Elves

We played Marching Columns Scenario with Secure the Target as the secondary.

We randomized terrain and on my side of the table I had a hill on my left, a hill and large building in my center and a forest on my right flank. On Josh's side he had a hill on each of his flanks and nothing in the center.

So the building in the center hampered my deployment to say the least and effectively cut my forces in two. the marching Columns deployment rules are challenging and fun.

On my far left flank I had a unit of Dread Knights on Raptors, then Dark Riders, then a large line of 30 Repeater Auxiliaries (in two ranks), then my Prince on a Dragon, then a Bolt Thrower, then Harpies, then a BSB on a Manticore, Large block of Tower Guard, Dread Knights, Bolt Thrower then another unit of Dark Riders. My Sorcerer was in the unit of Repeater Auxiliaries.
Josh countered this with a Steam Tank on his left, then Mounted Pistoliers, Knights, Spearmen, Halberds, Imperial Guard w/Prelate, Handgunners x 2, more Knights w/Marshall, more Mounted Pistoliers, a mortar and cannon. He had a mounted sorcerer and a unit of scouting longbows in my forest.

So it was late and I had a long day...I started out with a bonehead move. I did not deploy my large unit of Repeater Auxiliaries or Tower Guard...well most of my army... all the way up. I was thinking I did not want to get shot up right away. And then to top it off I went first, so you know, my first turn was really short as everything was out of range. I took Witch Craft magic...first time ever using it...did not like it.
Empire first and second turn was a lot of shooting on my Manticore and Dragon. My Prince had the Cloak of 3+ Aegis save so he was handling the storm very well but the Manticore was quickly down to one wound. His Knights on my left flank took care of my Dread Knights quite handily and most of my army moved up. My other Dread Knights and Manticore charged his lines and did not survive long. the Dark Riders on my left were dispatched via shooting and on my right they did well and got into his war machines before being killed. On turn three my Tower Guard charged into the Imperial Guard and taught them a lesson. After 2 rounds of combat the Imperial Guard was gone but I had just a handful of Tower Guard left...but they were alive. On my left the Dragon jumped to the flank to rain fire on the Knights with the Marshall, alas the Dread Prince blew his load and it was snake-eyes...ugh. My Repeater Auxiliaries ended up firing 90 crossbows into the Imperial Knights killing but 1 affraid Knight!! pale Yup the Dark Elf crossbowmen soon died at the hands of the Knights.
I did manage to break his lines and I had harpies and Dark Riders and the remnants of my Tower Guard about to do more damage, I had a bolt thrower on my right flank, plus I had my Dragon on a hill on my left flank looking at a field of juicy targets. But it was the Empires turn...with some nice shooting he killed outright the harpies, dark riders, bolt thrower (with the scouts) and clipped the wings of the Prince on the Dragon. The Steam Tank finally showed its worth and crushed the remaining tower guard. Shocked  Shocked
Well I had the wounded Dragon Prince, I could have hid out and went for some points, but the Dread Elves required vengeance. The Prince Charged the Spearmen that had claimed the secondary. Well the Prince and Dragon did 8 wounds and took none...the humans were steadfast and held. The Empire quickly rallied and charged my Dragon and Prince with the SteamTank, Imperial Knights and Pistoliers...yes the Dragon was engaged on all four sides. I did survive one more round of combat, but then the Dragon Prince went down fighting.

Fun battle... it was late (finished playing at 3AM) and Josh was cranky at his poor shooting, but he perked up in turn four when he ended my hope for a victory with some serious shooting. I liked the scenario, need to work on a much better army list.

Josh  16    vs     Derek   4
Josh got the secondary
Josh  19    vs    Derek  1

Last edited by Derek on Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:55 pm

Had a great game against Dom last night. Vampire Covenant vs Vermin Swarms.

Dom did a great job of keeping my main combat block out of action by using his bat swarms, while slowly grinding through everything else with his vampire and grave guard. 16-4 and then 19-1 after secondary.

My Magister has been executed as decreed by the Council of Thirteen. Don't worry though, another brave leader steps forward from the masses!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:06 pm

Josh stopped by my house last night and we quickly got a battle in on my new table Very Happy No Terrain yet so it was like we fought it out on a desert plain Very Happy

Josh had a much more combat oriented army list than last we fought. I felt confidant and slightly altered my existing Dread Elf list, I split up my Repeater Auxiliary into two units of 15. I thought about using a different magic lore but I am stubborn and want to master one lore before I start dabbling further in the dark arts - so I stayed pat with Witchcraft.

Josh Empire of Sonnstahl vs Derek Dread Elves

We played Frontline Clash Scenario with Secure the Target as the secondary.

On my far left flank I had a unit of Dark Riders, then another unit of Dark Riders, Reaper Bolt Thrower, a unit of 5 Harpies, then 15 Repeater Auxiliaries, then a unit of 5 Dread Knights and right behind them was another 15 Repeater Auxiliaries, then my Sorcerer on foot, then my large unit of Tower Guard, then another unit of 5 Dread Knights next to that was my Captain of Dread Love BSB on a Manticore and on my far right I placed my Dread Prince of Love on a Dragon. I was happy with my deployment. I was up on the line (learned my lesson from last battle), I thought my Repeater Auxiliaries could put a hurt on the flagellant and Imperial Guard blocks that were across form them. With my Dark Riders on the left my plan was not to chaff but to get around the Empire flank and hit his mortar and Volley Gun. While on my right I had my Tower Guard, a unit of Dread Knights, Manticore and Dragon to flank and handle the two units of Imperial Knights, spearmen and halberds across from them. With my Sorceress in the middle of my lines she could assist where needed.
Josh did not deploy a Steam Tank and I felt good about the face off coming.

Alas in war nothing goes as planned affraid No His Mounted Pistols on my left flank, across form my Dark Riders vanguarded straight towards my lines. As such I could not effectively vanguard my Dark Riders and then on his turn...well he got first turn as after a couple of units he dropped his army....he shot up a unit of Dark Riders and moved up his Knights on my right flank and his infantry blocks moved up. His magic kinda fizzled out perhaps his sorcerer was just a pretender and his war machines did nothing. On my first turn a unit of Dark Riders charged a unit of Mounted Pistols in the rear, I moved my Dread Knights to the right to assist in the coming combat, while on the right my Captain of Love calmed his Manticore and the Prince of Love also prepared for the coming battle - my units merely moved slightly to setup some quality counter charges. My Sorceress stepped up and the winds of magic were strong...she obtained 9 casting dice to the Imperial Pretenders mere 5 dice. The Dreaded Sorceress of Love scanned the field and devised her plan of attack which would bring victory to her Prince and cast glory upon herself. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Those Imperial Guard could become a bother so she felt that she should move them and cause them to fall out of the battle for awhile....a smirk came upon her face and she summoned her power. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil So I rolled three 6's and a 4 on four dice affraid Shocked The spell went off as Josh laughed and I cursed loudly and then she took 4 wounds and was wiped off the battlefield. She could not control her Witchcraft and well lets just say the battle did not go well from there for the Dread Elves pale

The Empire Mounted Pistols sort of collapsed my left flank. My harpies flew forward to go after the war machines - as planned....they were shot apart by the volley gun Rolling Eyes My Dark Riders that got the charge off on the Mounted Pistols lost combat...those mounted pistols attack first and well they are pretty good. My Reaper Bolt Thrower volley shot at the Mounted Pistols and killed a couple and then died the following turn. On the plus side the Imperial Guard moved randomly away from the battle line and popped through two units and was on the very far side of the battlefield so they were out of the battle for awhile. On the Dread Elf right the Imperial Knights with the BSB charged my Tower Guard...hahaha they laughed...they stopped laughing when the Knights did 10 wounds and they only did 4 back affraid They lost combat but held with the Dread Prince of Love and his BSB being not far away. I fled with both units of my Dread Knights hoping to setup counter charges...did not work out unfortunately, one unit of dread Knights ended up fleeing off the table while the other rallied on the edge and were later crushed in combat.
The highlight of the Battle for the Dread Elves had to do with shooting not combat. Wiped out a unit of Mounted Pistols, a unit of Flagellants and a unit of Halberds with my Repeater Auxiliaries. A unit of the Auxiliaries even got flanked by a unit of Mounted Pistols, did a wound, held and eventually reformed beat them down in combat chased them and caught them on a 10 Laughing Laughing then to top that off the other Dread Reaper Bolt Thrower blasted 6 bolts at the exposed Imperial Sorcerer on a horse...he must have been feeling cocky as he was getting close to the combats of the right flank...the bolts hit home and killed that Imperial weasel and his glue factory of a mount Twisted Evil Laughing
My right flank collapsed in the end, the Tower Guard broke and rallied and then got charged again, the Manticore is a sad beast and died from the Imperial BSB whom the Tower Guard failed to kill. The Dread Prince of Love danced his little dance on the Dragon and after failing one charge got charged from some Knights....in the end it took multiple Imperial Units but they brought down the Prince and his Dragon and probably ate it...those savages. My two units of Repeater Auxiliaries although weakened managed to survive the battle and lived to tell the tale of the false Prince of Love and his pathetic Witch....ugh...

Fun battle...the lack of terrain helped my shooting, my army list still needs work and I have worst luck with my sorcerers. perhaps I should have played the chaff game with my Dark Riders and harpies on the right...those damn Mounted Pistols Evil or Very Mad

Josh 16 vs Derek 4
Josh got the secondary
Josh 19 vs Derek 1
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:34 am

A great night at the den yesterday! Josh and myself had a nail biter of a game right down to the bottom of turn 6. Josh beat me on points but I grabbed the objective to end it with a win in a score of 12-8. Well played Josh!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:20 pm

Andre and I had a game today. He played his ogre khans and I played a ridiculous orc and goblins list. I think it would be a cool painting project if I was a good painter .... kingdoms of orc-quitaine!!!!

The orcs pushed through both rock aurauks and nearly killed a giant on turn one. After that I broke the rest of his army to a man, we had a long fight with his large unit of buisers and khan and great khan. End of the game all Andre had left was the general and bsb with one bruiser that had two wounds on it.

20-0 for me.
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:14 pm

Friday was a good day for battle - of the table top variety Very Happy

Got in two battles.

Josh came over and my Dread Elves thirsted for vengeance.

Josh  Empire of Sonnstahl   vs   Derek  Dread Elves

We played the Encircle Scenario with Hold the Ground as the secondary.

We randomized terrain and I had a hill, a building, a forest and a field on my side of the battlefield. On the other side of the battlefield on my right was a water feature...a river. I took the side with the hill to place my Dread Reaper Bolt Throwers on it...the hill was pretty much in my center. Josh basically dropped all of his army and took first turn. His Imperial Guard was on my left with his mortar on my far left. In his center he had a block of Halberds, then Spearmen, then two units of Knights with his Marshall, BSB and Sorcerer on horseback in the Knights. In front of the Knights he had 2 units of Mounted Pistols  and on his left he had a Volley Gun and Steamtank. To counter this I placed two units of Repeater Auxiliaries across from his Imperial Guard with my Reaper Bolt Throwers behind them on the hill. On my right I had my Sorceress on foot, my Tower Guard Block, two units of 5 Dread Knights on Raptors. On my left I had two units of Dark Riders and my Harpies and my Prince on Dragon and BSB/Captain on a Manticore.

Unfortunately I did not get turn one, and it could have been bad for me. His Mounted pistols can vanguard and after their first move they were right close and flanking my Tower Guard...big chaff move but also within shooting distance of my exposed Sorceress on foot....I honestly thought I made a massive mistake and that my Witch was gonna die. But I got a little lucky and my Witch...I guess she is called an Oracle...survived the gunshots and only took 2 wounds. His Mortar targeted my BSB/Manticore hit and did a wound...ugh that Manticore may quickly be put out to pasture, the Prince is getting sick of his lack of success on the battlefield. The rest of his units moved up. On my turn one I moved my Dark Riders to chaff and flank his Imperial Guard....I planned on showing them what my Cross Bows can do. It worked, I sent 40 bolts at the Imperial Guard and did 10-12 wounds, they failed their leadership test and ran from the battle line. Things were looking good on my left while on my right I wiped out a unit of chaffing Mounted Pistols with crossbows and a unit of Dread Knights charged and caught the other unit of Mounted Pistols, those were the ones that almost killed my Witch.

His Knights were moving up slowly, they were unnecessarily worried about my Dread Knight counter charge I think. One unit of my Dread Knights moved up a bit too far last turn and he tried to charge them with his Steam Tank, it was just short like 2 inches. However in the shooting phase the Steam Tank spat upon the Dread Knights killing 4 of them. The lone Knight later on was killed by the Volley Gun across the river. Magically both of our magic users were working the Cosmology and we kept throwing Molten Lava at each other Laughing
I got off a Silver Spike on his Steam Tank and did 2 wounds, and I thought in a couple of turns I would have the Tank killed off...but for one reason or another I never again cast that spell on the Tank:roll:  Multiple crossbows and Reaper Bolt Thrower shots whittled down the Knights dramatically....sometimes 1's come up on a dice roll. His magic was directed at my Tower Guard but they withheld the storm and survived the battle largely intact. His Spearmen, and halberds directed their rage at my Dark Riders whom were continually sending cross bow bolts at them and the Imperial Guard. My Prince flexed his muscles and destroyed the Mortar crew and I fully stayed away from his Volley Gun...well except that one Dread Knight that was delirious and feverish from combat.
His Generals unit of Knights did engage one unit of Repeater Auxiliaries and then a Reaper Bolt Thrower, but after this was over all he had left was the Sorcerer and Marshall all alone, I had killed all the Knights.
In the end I never did engage the Imperial Guard and they survived, although missing half their number. I frustrated Josh by not meeting him in combat and I honestly thought I had won the battle. Alas, we were only separated by 26 points and it was a draw. I did kill his sorcerer, perhaps I should have killed his Marshall or Imperial Guard itself. Neither of us were in a position to get the secondary but honestly we forgot about it. Damn.

"Vengeance will come", whispered the Prince as he flew off the battle field on his trusty Dragon Fluffy.

Josh  Empire of Sonnstahl   10    vs     Derek  Dread Elves   10
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:06 pm

I got a second battle in Friday night at the Den.

Andre Ogre Khans vs Derek Warriors of the Dark Gods

We basically had a rematch of our tourney battle from last week....we even played on the same table.

We played the Refused Flank Scenario with the Secure Target secondary.

We randomized terrain and had alot on the left side of the battle field. There was a large cliff, some Ruins,two forests, a hill, and two buildings. One target was basically in the center of the battlefield while the other was in the left corner by the cliff. I chose the side and deployed first...and I dropped my entire army. I have had poor luck with doing this in the past, however I wanted first turn and due to the terrain and closeness of the enemy I wanted to setup my battle plan. I deployed heavy on my right flank with my Feldraks, Knights, Forsworn, Giant (behind Forsworn), a unit of Warriors, 3 chariots then in the woods I had my Barbarians and my Sorcerer. On the other side of some ruins on the shortest possible part of my deployment zone I had a small unit of 10 Warriors and a unit of Mounted Barbarians. Across from these were a Racnorrock, Giant and a unit of Cannon wielding Ogres....it was obvious to all that he was going to take the flank lol. Across from my Barbarians there was another unit of Ogres with Cannons, then a very large unit of Ogres, then some Knoblars with the Ogre Sorcerer in the unit then a Giant and another Racnorrock. My plan was to move heavy against his left flank and roll him up...if anything I would break his line and make his big unit of Ogres slow down.
I hit his flank with my Feldraks and Knights and in two turns took out a Racnorrak, some Ogres with cannons, and smashed into his Knoblars, I then charged my General out of the Knight unit, due to the tight space, into his Sorcerer. On my left he did kill the Mounted Barbarians and Warriors but it took 2 turns and that helped. His magic did not do much but he got that nasty comet spell off and it kept growing until turn 5.
Turn 3 was big for me as his large unit of Ogre with his General and BSB charged and hit a Warrior Chariot, this was fine as I counter charged him with a Chosen Chariot, a Giant and a unit of Warriors on his flank....I did like 21 wounds and counted 26 is battle res while he counted 15...he killed the Giant and chariot. I ran him down and that was huge. On turn 4 his one Racorak got into battle and killed my Knights that thing is nasty on the charge. I overwhelmed him with my remaining units and was able to survive the comet with 5 warriors taking the secondary.
Most of my army being Resilence 5 really helps against the Ogres.

Andre Ogre Khans 3 vs Derek Warriors of the Dark Gods 17
Derek got the secondary
Andre Ogre Khans 0 vs Derek Warriors of the Dark Gods 20
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:22 pm

Loving these battle reports lately guys, just saying. Awesome
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:25 pm

Dom & I had an epic battle of evil armies last night at the Den....or should I say "Land of the Unwashed D&D Player" pale ...it was a packed house and I was witness to all sorts of passive aggressive unwashedness Very Happy (my first made up word of the day Very Happy )

Anyway another fun battle, always a tough fight against Vampires.

Don Vampire Covenant vs Derek Warriors of the Dark Gods

We played the Refused Flank Scenario with Breakthrough as the Secondary.

Not much terrain, a couple of hills on my left, an impassable terrain item on his right and a large forest in my center. We randomized the terrain but did it quickly as time was not on our side.
I deployed first and had the side with the most terrain, which did not help as I did not want to place my Cav in the woods. So I was stretched out all along the battlefield. After a couple of units I simply dropped my army, not that that was really the plan but I saw that space was an issue and after my first two units it was apparent where my other units could only go. My deployment was brutal and played a significant part in the outcome of the battle affraid
On my far left I had my Barbarian block, a unit of Warriors w/paired weapons and my Giant. The plan was to have the Giant quickly zoom around the impassable terrain and then get into the fight in the center while the Warriors and Barbarians would take the secondary and assist if required. next to the Giant were my Knights, then General, two Warriors Chariots, the Feldraks w/Great Weapons, then the small unit of Forsworn, then a unit of 12 Warriors w/Halberds in the woods, then a Chosen Chariot and finally in the smallest part of my line the Mounted Barbarians. My Sorcerer was in the woods at first before moving into the unit of Warriors.
Dom's Vampire Convenant Army was much more bunched up and ignored my three units on my far left. On his right he had a block of zombies and then behind them ghouls and bats and then he had his big Ark thing and in front of that he has a large Block of Grave Guard with a Necromancer, then he had that Corpse Chariot that gave everyone Regeneration, then he had a Vampire Lord on a Zombie Dragon, then Vampire Knights and some bats behind and in front of them.
I knew I was in for a tough fight and I was kicking myself as my General was no where near his Zombie Dragon and Lord or Knights, and my General was really my only hope. I had tooled my General up a bit, actually used a Favor of the Gods, Favor of Spite I think it was called and I had the Burning Portent on my Halberd plus a 4+ Aegis Save...I would be a handful to deal with but I had to fight the Vampire or it was a waste.

So on turn one, I went first, I simply moved up and hit him with some magic. It went well actually. I killed two Knights, took out a bat swarm and did a wound to the Zombie Dragon I was pleased. Undead turn one he charged my Mounted Barbarians which were trying to chaff him a bit, so they fled and he tried to redirect but failed. I was able to weather the Vampire magic but it was scary. he did not use and regeneration spells but did have a couple of you automatically die spells, he blasted a warrior chariot and got it down to one wound. Evocation has some nasty spells. During the battle I lost all my Knights to Undead Magic blasts.
The battle went pretty fast, we didn't talk a lot as we only had until 9 as the Den was closing and it was after 7 Shocked

Realizing that my main units were out of position and I did not want to lose units to the Undead magic I did a lot of charging on Turn 2. I needed to get into the Arc thing and the Zombie Dragon as soon as I could so I charged the Grave Guard that was in the way, I charged it with a Warrior Chariot, the Feldraks and my Knights w/ general on the Flank, the other Warriors Chariot with the wounds I charged the zombies next to the Grave Guard - the plan was to hold the zombies for a turn while doing enough wounds to pop the Grave Guard and keep going through. On my right I got a really good charge with my Chosen Chariot into the weakened Vampire Knights. My magic phase withered away sadly and in combat I destroyed a lot of Undead beasts. But in the end I only won combat against the Grave Guard by about 11, and the unit was large enough that they held, not with many left, he had like less than 10 models but they held. it was here that I made my first gigantic error of the battle, I only directed 3 attacks at the Necromancer....huge mistake, I should have killed that guy and it came back to haunt me all battle.
To further the misery of my combat phase the Chosen Chariot did no wounds to the Vampire Knights while the Vampires did one back and the chariot broke and was chased down. On my left the Warrior Chariot was brought down by the zombies...ack....things did not look good and they only got worse.
So next turn the Zombies and Ghouls charged in and the Zombie Dragon charged in also, last turn it had charged the Forsworn and finished them off. The Vampire Knights overran into my Warriors chewed them up. Then magic phase went well for the Undead he evoked a bunch of ghouls and zombies and Grave Guard and Knights and well it sucked lol In combat I thought I did pretty well in the big combat in the center of the table....but I lost by 12 affraid and my units broke...fortunately he did not catch any of them. meanwhile on my right his Knights were munching through my units and chewing up the followers of the Dark Gods.
My Giant wheeled around but by then he was surrounded by a large block of Ghouls, that Arc thing, and some bats. On my far left my Barbarians and small unit of 10 Warriors with paired weapons re-positioned themselves to assist in slowing down the oncoming undead horde.
The Vampire Lord on the Zombie Dragon could not wait and he made a long charge and got into the Warriors while the Barbarians, who recalled their better days of taking out Lances of Knights of Equitaine and blocks of Rats and hordes of Imperial Spearmen, decided to charge the zombies before they were charged. They ripped into the Zombies and did 10 wounds but the Zombie block countered with 15 wounds...Only one lone Barbarian remained on the battlefield....he ran and was never seen again. The Warriors stood up to the Zombie Dragon despite 5 of them dying a bloody death they held. My next turn I was able to charge my remaining Knights and General into the flank of the Zombie Dragon...what I had been waiting for all battle. My General drank a potion of swiftness and attacked the Vampire doing 4 wounds to the dragon and winning combat by a bunch. The Vampire melted with a scream, some Ghouls and Grave Guard crumbled and then the Arc thing fell apart:D ...sadly no Vampire Knights crumbled. But there was still that Necromancer and he became the new General of the undead and there was no more crumbling:shock: Evil or Very Mad
The remaining Warriors and my General did not last long. I had one shot at a charge into his Necromancer on my last turn and I failed it badly, but once again I always forget something (Second Gigantic Mistake of the Battle), being Wrath I was supposed to re-roll failed charges...oh well what could have been Shocked Question That was the only charge I failed all battle anyway and it was last ditch attempt at some points.
In the end I blame myself for being tabled, Dom hit me well with his magic and set up his overruns charges very well, but my deployment was poor and my charges did not have the impact they had in previous battles. Oh I forgot to mention that my Sorcerer died in turn three while he was in the unit of Warriors and they got destroyed by the Vampire Knights.
I look forward to a rematch. I liked Dom's army, no massive units of skeletons, it was different than I have played against in the past. the Zombie Dragon with a Lord hits hard but is killable while the Vampire Knights are nasty and the magic is brutal. It was a fun battle and I will always remember to kill those Necromancers:shock:

Dom Vampire Covenant 17 vs Derek Warriors of the Dark Gods 3

*Nobody got the secondary, I was tabled but Dom's scoring units where in his deployment zone.
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:21 am

The game was quite a blood bath, if Derek had broken the barrow guard on turn 2 it would have been a VERY different story. That single massive fight in the center contained almost 3/4 of my armies total points !

Also an important thing to note is the zombies were not the ones kicking add and taking names it was the ghouls and a furry of poison attacks. All though in the center combat the zombies did charge the flank of his knights , giving me a nice big +7 to the combat and only giving up one point, go zombies !
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:38 pm

geez thanks for that clarification Shocked Very Happy

That unit rocked....the cannibalism rule and poison...so many attacks....that unit rocks.
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:19 pm

Pete came over this afternoon for a game with his updated warriors army. He took it to me early busting up a bunch of units and getting into my back areas with his general and warrior knights. The size of my army and some speedy redeployments stopped outright collapse but he had me dead to rights. I slowly worked my way back and somehow came out with a 19-1 victory after secondary scoring. Pete really should of won this game but once again my magical barrage bailed me out.

Plus...I am now fully painted Very Happy

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum