2.0 Winter League Battle Reports

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Re: 2.0 Winter League Battle Reports

Post  PeterW on Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:28 am

Andre had me over for a good ol' garage battle last night, my Warriors vs. his Ogres in a 2000 point frontline clash with spoils of war secondary. Andre's force had so few actual ogres in it I hesitate to call it an ogre army, but it certainly is a cool concept!

I took the first turn and moved forward, both of us knowing full well this was going to be a quick and bloody scrap. A very good roll on my Hellfire spell managed to kill the entire unit of Yetis vanguarding up my flank and thanks to my Warhounds and Giant I was able to hold off the Frost Mammoth from coming in until a late game charge to its flank from my Chosen Knights.  Previous to this they had taken a charge in the front from a huge unit of Sabertooth Tigers with the General inside and some scrappers to the flank. If I had not gotten off Whispers of the Veil to reduce their Off and Def, and Andre had remembered his tigers had 3 attacks and not 2 my Chosen Knights would surely not have won said combat and not been able to sweep around with them as I did.

Final Score: Win for Peter, 22-0 as I was fully paintex
PeterW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:44 am

I also forgot to use 5+ armor save on my yetis but that spell sure put a hurt on...rolled 11, wounded 9 times on yetis, rolled 10 wounded 9 times on my poor kineater.
Another awesome thing i realized too late is that I have ZERO, yep ZERO scoring units.
It was still fun to play and as I proxied 8 whirling fanatics as my trappers(2 netters as markers for dt terrain)(also who f'ing needs 8 fanatics, I have a serious warhammer compulsion) and my sabertooths were wolf riders (thats right mammoth hunter is only ogre with his wolf pack)
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:16 pm

you might want to add a scoring unit for the tournament big guy......just saying..

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:04 am

Played 2 games against Josh last night. My Imperial armour vs his beast hordes.

First game was encircle with king of the hill secondary. This one was short and sweet (for me). First turn my steam tank shot his chariot and did 3/4 wounds. Josh missed 2 charges turn 2 which set me up for 3 charges in my turn 2. All 3 charges were successful and I broke all 3 units and ran them down. This panicked a nearby unit which fled off the table and I was able to overrun into the flank of his last unit. With 1 unit engaged to the flank and a chariot with 1 wound left Josh extended his hand in favour of a rematch. 17-3 and I was fully painted so 19-3.

Second game was marching columns with capture the flags secondary. Josh played more cautiously as did I. Turn 3 I decided to make my move and charged. My knights of the sun griffon and general failed their charge while my knights completed a charge into his longhorns. This wasn't quite the matchup I'd been hoping for and my knights found themselves in a tight spot. I think we drew the first round of combat. My steam tank also successfully charged and destroyed his chariot and overran into his gor unit (whatever its called now). In Josh's turn his minotaurs charged my knight's flank and broke them. Both units pursued but failed to make it into contact with my steam tank. In that combat the steam tank did some wounds but the gors held. My knights of the sun griffon charged Josh's longhorns who elected to flee and so I redirected into his minotaurs. I destroyed them quite handily and decided to reform. My knights never did rally and ran off the table. My steam tank eventually churned through the gors. My knights of the sun griffon at some point also dealt with some ambushing ungors and then ran down the remaining longhorns. A victory for the Empire. This one we didn't count up but I got just under 2100 points as all he had left were 10 bow wielding ungors and Josh killed 740 points for a difference of 68%. So 16-4, I got secondary so 19-1 and I was fully painted for a final score of 21-1.

I was surprised at the resilience of the empire armour. I guess I shouldn't be but I went into a lot of combats with very little confidence and was pleasantly surprised at the few casualties I took. It won't always be so and there are definitely some spells and things out there that'll ruin my day but so far so good! Josh is working on figuring out a new army and it can definitely be frustrating. If I was playing his army I'd drop the great weapons on the minotaurs so they can potentially strike first every now and then. Maybe give them paired weapons so they have Off 5 and ignore parry, it'll also give them that many more chances to roll 6's to hit for battle focus. S7 is definitely nice but S5 is nothing to sneeze at. If you want to give them some survivability maybe give them the gnarled hide totem. At 2000 points I might just give all your units totems and drop the wizard for a fighty character or two to boost your two infantry units. Make one of them a bsb so that your stubborn 8 is more of a sure thing as well. You've got a good list but the matchup against my armour wasn't good for you.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:17 am

Loving the battle reports guys, tiding me over until i can have a game again. Sounds like they were all good games this week.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh b on Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:11 am

hey dom are we still on for tonight?

Josh b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:49 pm

Josh b wrote:hey dom are we still on for tonight?

Definitely drop the great weapons and equip paired weapons on the Mino's. You need to do wounds before others hit back as Mino's don't have much for armour. You'll work the bugs out. Don't forget to push those initiative totems through! Smile Have fun with the Beastmen - I'm jealous. Wink
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6