2.0 Winter League Battle Reports

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Re: 2.0 Winter League Battle Reports

Post  Nathan.A. on Mon May 14, 2018 8:56 pm

Carson wrote:Get in hard and fast....at least that what Don tells me when were alone together.

At least you'll know INSTANTLY if it isn't working.
Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu May 17, 2018 9:30 am

Nathan A came over last night and we had an elf battle with his dread elves invading the forests of the sylvan elves. I switched up my list drastically for this game, swapping out my wild hunters for some kestrel knights and thicket beasts. I also added a thicket shepherd bsb and put my lord on a dragon.

We played encircle and the secondary was invade the enemy territory. Despite being down by 3 in deployment I won the roll-off and elected to go first. I won't do a play-by-play but some highlights for me were my pathfinders shooting down 4/5 of his dread knights, the kestrel knights finished off the last one. My unit of 8 dryads taking a charge from his hydra and then killing it in 2 rounds, my treefather taking on 2 units of 25 spears and killing them both and most importantly, my thicket beasts holding the line against his tower guard and bsb.

Nathan A was not on his A-game, he had 2 bolt throwers that he forgot to fire every turn until they died. Had he remembered to shoot with them it probably would have made a big difference in the game. Unfortunately neither of us realized that they hadn't fired until way late and it would have been difficult to go back. Also, his wizard miscast and killed herself fairly early on in the game which gave me a pretty big upper hand.

It was a fun game, Nathan is always a good opponent and I'm sure he'll get me next time. It ended up 16-4 in my favour, I got the secondary and we were both painted so 21-3.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu May 17, 2018 10:44 am

more importantly the league plays as no go backs....if you forget something and move to the next phase your out of luck.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 am

Sounds like a brutal fun game, I've forgotten chaff / shooting units for multiple turns in a row before haha. It happens Razz now i just literally go across the field left to right, that unit done, that unit done, that unit done haha.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Thu May 17, 2018 12:13 pm

Yeah this game was one of my most embarrassing ever I think No I forgot really important stuff, and even the things I remembered to do didn't seem to work.

I blame the bolt thrower eff-ups to them being in the forest, things are so easy to miss when they're in the trees. Also my Hydra was a huge under performer, he either made one or no saves the whole game, can't quite remember, but with a 4+\4++ you'd expect a little better, he died to one turn of shooting and 2 turns of 8 dryads attacking him -_-

The one real positive I took from this game was the power of the new Cult of Cadaron for the DE. With the upgrade bought on my general all my core units became ld 9, which caused them to make every fear/ panic test they rolled, lots of them by that 1 extra ld.

I was sad we never had a chance to fight our dragon lords, not often you see 2 dragons on the table, it seemed like a chance for awesome entertainment.
Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri May 18, 2018 9:24 am

I agree, we should have pushed our dragons together. Missed opportunity for sure.

That extra leadership bonus is pretty great. Also the Academy banner you had on the spears definitely caught me by surprise and against the right target could be devastating.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri May 18, 2018 9:45 am

Dont worry boys, i'm running a dragon in my dark elves too so between your two, mine and dwaynes there HAS to be a dragon fight eventually. Imo the charging +1 agi will take the win.

I meant to ask do the Academy banners stack? like if i had a unit of corsairs and then two other units within 6" of it with the banners does it keep stacking?

Academy Banner ( 60 pts )
R&F models in the bearer's unit gain +1 Armour Penetration in the first Round of Combat . Dread Legionnaires, Repeater   Auxiliaries, and Corsairs in units within 6" of one or more other units with Academy Banner gain +1 Armour Penetration in the first Round of Combat . 
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Fri May 18, 2018 11:38 am

Kal wrote:
Dread Legionnaires, Repeater   Auxiliaries, and Corsairs in units within 6" of one or more other units with Academy Banner gain +1 Armour Penetration in the first Round of Combat . 

They will not stack, answer is right there with the one or more.
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Fri May 18, 2018 11:58 am

Well they don't stack but I got hit by a Spearman Block last night and it was AP3 with those Academy Banners...ack

Didn't turn out well for me.
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Fri May 18, 2018 1:14 pm

Call SVU there was a violent act at the Den last night....The Dread Elves raped the Warriors of the Dark Gods affraid

Nathan A     Dread Elves    vs   Derek   Warriors of the Dark Gods

I was running late and despite having only a couple of hours Nathan tabled me.... pale

We played Front Line Clash with Breakthrough as the secondary.

I was feeling confidant, my army list has been playing well and my last two battles I took out some Sylvan Elves and Dread Elves. I feel my army does well against Elves and can handle some artillery casualties. Hubris my friends.

I won't go into an incredibly detailed battle report. Terrain was fair with one forest, one ruins and a few hills. I deployed poorly and dropped most of my units and took the first turn. Nathan deployed an army similar to what I have seen from him in the past. But the Tower Guard unit was smaller and he had two large blocks of Spearmen. he had more units than me but I was confidant that I could soak up the damage from shooting and magic and win the combats. I have a lot of units that are Resilience 5 and have multiple wounds. I took first turn and moved up...my magic was weak to poor the entire battle and my Sorcerer was run down on turn 3 affraid My Giant lasted 5 turns but did not see combat and was killed by a hail of crossbow fire that never ceased. First big mistake was when I got cocky and charged my Warrior Knights with the General into the Tower Guard. Thinking I could take some abuse and hold. Nope. General did not take a wound but was run down. I only did 2 wounds to the Elf BSB...should have killed him Evil or Very Mad
On my right flank I charged my Warrior Chariot and Barbarian Horseman into his unit of Dread Knights...yup that battle lasted three turns...brutal. I sent my Horsemen in also as they have a 4+ AS and had a Standard.
His Dragon ate a unit of Warriors with Paired Weapons. His Tower Guard eviscerated a Warrior unit of 15 with the Sorcerer. My Sorcerer is a tough cookie and was not wounded but run down.
The only Dread Elf units to fall in battle were the Harpy's and the Dread Knights. affraid Suspect
I know what I did wrong, no solid battle plan outside of going first. In retrospect it might have been advantageous to go second. I have to be more discipline in planning out my battle strategy...can't just think my units will beat the opponents one on one.
Speaking of Discipline...I never made one test during the battle...I only had about 4 or 5 meaningful ones but my dice liked those 6's on those tests.
At least Nathan had a absolutely great looking army to play against. Color me impressed.

Nathan A   Dread Elves    17   vs   Derek Warriors of the Dark Gods  3
Nathan got Secondary and was fully painted
Nathan A  Dread Elves  22    vs   Derek   Warriors of the Dark Gods  0
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri May 18, 2018 3:03 pm

If a unit with the standard is close to one or more unit with the standard I think they get +2 AP because their own standard gives them +1 and the nearby standard(s) give another +1. Those 2 units would only give a close by unit without the standard +1 AP though.

Does that make sense?
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Fri May 18, 2018 5:07 pm

Yeah my battle against Derek was the polar opposite of when I played Nathan the other night. Everything missed for Derek, ld tests, spells, dispell attempts, basically all of it. On my side nothing went very wrong. Also Tower guard seem to be the bane of chaos warriors, maybe that's why Pete ran them away using a portal last time we faught Evil or Very Mad

And Nathan is right about the banner, it stacks to +2 max.
Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri May 18, 2018 10:21 pm

Most importantly, how’d the bolt throwers do?
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Fri May 18, 2018 10:41 pm

Well I remembered to fire them xD. Not amazing results, they managed to pick off some fleeing barbarians and put 3 wounds on some once chosen, AND they never died. All in all I'd say it was successful.
Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum