2.0 Winter League Battle Reports

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Re: 2.0 Winter League Battle Reports

Post  Nathan.A. on Mon May 14, 2018 8:56 pm

Carson wrote:Get in hard and fast....at least that what Don tells me when were alone together.

At least you'll know INSTANTLY if it isn't working.
Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu May 17, 2018 9:30 am

Nathan A came over last night and we had an elf battle with his dread elves invading the forests of the sylvan elves. I switched up my list drastically for this game, swapping out my wild hunters for some kestrel knights and thicket beasts. I also added a thicket shepherd bsb and put my lord on a dragon.

We played encircle and the secondary was invade the enemy territory. Despite being down by 3 in deployment I won the roll-off and elected to go first. I won't do a play-by-play but some highlights for me were my pathfinders shooting down 4/5 of his dread knights, the kestrel knights finished off the last one. My unit of 8 dryads taking a charge from his hydra and then killing it in 2 rounds, my treefather taking on 2 units of 25 spears and killing them both and most importantly, my thicket beasts holding the line against his tower guard and bsb.

Nathan A was not on his A-game, he had 2 bolt throwers that he forgot to fire every turn until they died. Had he remembered to shoot with them it probably would have made a big difference in the game. Unfortunately neither of us realized that they hadn't fired until way late and it would have been difficult to go back. Also, his wizard miscast and killed herself fairly early on in the game which gave me a pretty big upper hand.

It was a fun game, Nathan is always a good opponent and I'm sure he'll get me next time. It ended up 16-4 in my favour, I got the secondary and we were both painted so 21-3.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu May 17, 2018 10:44 am

more importantly the league plays as no go backs....if you forget something and move to the next phase your out of luck.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 am

Sounds like a brutal fun game, I've forgotten chaff / shooting units for multiple turns in a row before haha. It happens Razz now i just literally go across the field left to right, that unit done, that unit done, that unit done haha.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Thu May 17, 2018 12:13 pm

Yeah this game was one of my most embarrassing ever I think No I forgot really important stuff, and even the things I remembered to do didn't seem to work.

I blame the bolt thrower eff-ups to them being in the forest, things are so easy to miss when they're in the trees. Also my Hydra was a huge under performer, he either made one or no saves the whole game, can't quite remember, but with a 4+\4++ you'd expect a little better, he died to one turn of shooting and 2 turns of 8 dryads attacking him -_-

The one real positive I took from this game was the power of the new Cult of Cadaron for the DE. With the upgrade bought on my general all my core units became ld 9, which caused them to make every fear/ panic test they rolled, lots of them by that 1 extra ld.

I was sad we never had a chance to fight our dragon lords, not often you see 2 dragons on the table, it seemed like a chance for awesome entertainment.
Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri May 18, 2018 9:24 am

I agree, we should have pushed our dragons together. Missed opportunity for sure.

That extra leadership bonus is pretty great. Also the Academy banner you had on the spears definitely caught me by surprise and against the right target could be devastating.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri May 18, 2018 9:45 am

Dont worry boys, i'm running a dragon in my dark elves too so between your two, mine and dwaynes there HAS to be a dragon fight eventually. Imo the charging +1 agi will take the win.

I meant to ask do the Academy banners stack? like if i had a unit of corsairs and then two other units within 6" of it with the banners does it keep stacking?

Academy Banner ( 60 pts )
R&F models in the bearer's unit gain +1 Armour Penetration in the first Round of Combat . Dread Legionnaires, Repeater   Auxiliaries, and Corsairs in units within 6" of one or more other units with Academy Banner gain +1 Armour Penetration in the first Round of Combat . 
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Fri May 18, 2018 11:38 am

Kal wrote:
Dread Legionnaires, Repeater   Auxiliaries, and Corsairs in units within 6" of one or more other units with Academy Banner gain +1 Armour Penetration in the first Round of Combat . 

They will not stack, answer is right there with the one or more.
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Fri May 18, 2018 11:58 am

Well they don't stack but I got hit by a Spearman Block last night and it was AP3 with those Academy Banners...ack

Didn't turn out well for me.
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Fri May 18, 2018 1:14 pm

Call SVU there was a violent act at the Den last night....The Dread Elves raped the Warriors of the Dark Gods affraid

Nathan A     Dread Elves    vs   Derek   Warriors of the Dark Gods

I was running late and despite having only a couple of hours Nathan tabled me.... pale

We played Front Line Clash with Breakthrough as the secondary.

I was feeling confidant, my army list has been playing well and my last two battles I took out some Sylvan Elves and Dread Elves. I feel my army does well against Elves and can handle some artillery casualties. Hubris my friends.

I won't go into an incredibly detailed battle report. Terrain was fair with one forest, one ruins and a few hills. I deployed poorly and dropped most of my units and took the first turn. Nathan deployed an army similar to what I have seen from him in the past. But the Tower Guard unit was smaller and he had two large blocks of Spearmen. he had more units than me but I was confidant that I could soak up the damage from shooting and magic and win the combats. I have a lot of units that are Resilience 5 and have multiple wounds. I took first turn and moved up...my magic was weak to poor the entire battle and my Sorcerer was run down on turn 3 affraid My Giant lasted 5 turns but did not see combat and was killed by a hail of crossbow fire that never ceased. First big mistake was when I got cocky and charged my Warrior Knights with the General into the Tower Guard. Thinking I could take some abuse and hold. Nope. General did not take a wound but was run down. I only did 2 wounds to the Elf BSB...should have killed him Evil or Very Mad
On my right flank I charged my Warrior Chariot and Barbarian Horseman into his unit of Dread Knights...yup that battle lasted three turns...brutal. I sent my Horsemen in also as they have a 4+ AS and had a Standard.
His Dragon ate a unit of Warriors with Paired Weapons. His Tower Guard eviscerated a Warrior unit of 15 with the Sorcerer. My Sorcerer is a tough cookie and was not wounded but run down.
The only Dread Elf units to fall in battle were the Harpy's and the Dread Knights. affraid Suspect
I know what I did wrong, no solid battle plan outside of going first. In retrospect it might have been advantageous to go second. I have to be more discipline in planning out my battle strategy...can't just think my units will beat the opponents one on one.
Speaking of Discipline...I never made one test during the battle...I only had about 4 or 5 meaningful ones but my dice liked those 6's on those tests.
At least Nathan had a absolutely great looking army to play against. Color me impressed.

Nathan A   Dread Elves    17   vs   Derek Warriors of the Dark Gods  3
Nathan got Secondary and was fully painted
Nathan A  Dread Elves  22    vs   Derek   Warriors of the Dark Gods  0
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri May 18, 2018 3:03 pm

If a unit with the standard is close to one or more unit with the standard I think they get +2 AP because their own standard gives them +1 and the nearby standard(s) give another +1. Those 2 units would only give a close by unit without the standard +1 AP though.

Does that make sense?
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Fri May 18, 2018 5:07 pm

Yeah my battle against Derek was the polar opposite of when I played Nathan the other night. Everything missed for Derek, ld tests, spells, dispell attempts, basically all of it. On my side nothing went very wrong. Also Tower guard seem to be the bane of chaos warriors, maybe that's why Pete ran them away using a portal last time we faught Evil or Very Mad

And Nathan is right about the banner, it stacks to +2 max.
Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri May 18, 2018 10:21 pm

Most importantly, how’d the bolt throwers do?
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Fri May 18, 2018 10:41 pm

Well I remembered to fire them xD. Not amazing results, they managed to pick off some fleeing barbarians and put 3 wounds on some once chosen, AND they never died. All in all I'd say it was successful.
Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Sun May 27, 2018 8:35 am

I had three great games yesterday at Andres.

First up was don and his demons, we player refused flank with spoils of war secondary. The demons put in an early fight taking out some smaller units and my necromancer but the vamps pulled the nails out of the coffin and got back up wiping the floor with the scourge demons.

19-3 For Dom final score

Next Carson was up with the rats. Early on I took some casualties from a comet and the abomination tore apart my terrogihst. But the vamps picked up steam again when some how the varkolak survived and took out all the shooters. The barrow guard took out the rats ogers. And the vamp and ghouls took out most of the rest.

17-5 final for dom

Last was petter and the warriors. Not to much went right for petter from the start, and then a failed charge ment he could not break through my barrow guard in one round. After that the terrorghist took out a few units and the ghoul brick tore apart a warrior unit that had been reduced to a 6+AS.

15-5 For Dom
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun May 27, 2018 8:48 am

I had 2 games at Andre's, one of which Dom already reported. It was a good game, but the Daemon energy just wasn't strong enough on that day.

The next games was against Dwayne and his Empire. Another good game, with a lot of blood and ichor spilled on the battlefield. We played counterthrust with breakthrough secondary. It seems the Empire killed a little more Daemons than the Empire had lost, but the Daemons pushed for the secondary. When we shook hands it was a 10-10 draw in a hard fought game.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun May 27, 2018 11:03 am

I played one game yesterday against Andre’s dwarfs. I thought I had the game in the bag but some heroic shooting in the last 2 turns for Andre netted him 1800 points off 5 wounds. Andre won 12-8 but I had the secondary so it ended up 11-9 in my favour. I think we were both painted. 13-11.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Mon May 28, 2018 11:32 am

I Got one battle in at Andres Games Day.

My Warriors of the Dark Gods vs Andre's Dwarven Holds.

We played front line clash with hold the ground scenario.

I took a totally different, for me, type of list. Min core with only one unit of Warriors and one unit of Barbarians. I had a Demon Prince as my General and a Giant, Feldrak Elder and a Forsaken One....it was a monster army affraid

I deployed poorly and was caught off guard by the movement of his Dwarfs. Hi Grey Beards and General got the charge off on my Demon Prince and they were locked in combat for 4 turns before the last Dwarf was ripped apart.
I tried something new with that Hand of Guard Comet Spell...never used it before and it did waaayyyy more damage to me than it did to the Dwarfs  Evil or Very Mad

On my left flank my Feldraks and a Giant tied up a large unit of Slayers for 4 turns before dying, that was huge. I was able to pass a couple of Discipline tests on three's and held. In the end I held the the left flank and the center, killed a lot of dwarfs and took the secondary. On the last turn he was able to get the last wound on my Demon Prince and that was a 1100pt hit.
great game, lots of fun, i learned some stuff but I still think I deployed really poorly and didn't have a proper battle plan going into the game...I was just happy to play 

Derek's Warriors of the Dark Gods 15  vs   Andre  Dwarven Holds 5
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh b on Wed May 30, 2018 6:28 am

does anyone have any old chaos spon models they want off their shelf?

Josh b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed May 30, 2018 8:52 am

Josh b wrote:does anyone have any old chaos spon models they want off their shelf?
. I don’t, but the cool thing about chaos spawn is you can pretty much make anything you want as they all would look different.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:24 am

Andre and I had a show down last night. His slayer dwarfs vrs my skeletal no vampire vampire counts. The deployment and senario worked out quite well for Andre, as the secondary objective were spread out good and the players didn't care about making a battle line.

By turn three not to much had really happened other then my barrow knights and wingged reappears positioning against one of his slayer blocks and ranger units. Else where the second slayer block charged a unit of halberd skeletons. I knew the skeletons would crumble in one round but they did take 10 slayers with them, about what I expected. I had positioned my barrow guard right behind in anticipation of a quick clean up. .... this however didn't happen😮

What ended up happening was the slayers killed the barrow guard over two turns leaving a barrow king bsb facing down I think 4 slayers and the character. I flank charged with some skeletons and rear charged with my necromancer on a revnant. I still could not kill them ... Else where my wiffed reapers had taken to much damage from shooting to be combat effective and foolishly charged some handgunners, crumbling after 2 rounds of combat.

At this point I really didn't have much left and had only killed about 800 points or so. The barrow knights charged the greybeards in hopes I could snipe is rune Smith general. By end of turn six I only had a unit of skeletons spears left still trying to kill his slayer character.

All In all the only thing that didn't go well where it should have was the barrow guard fighting the slayers. That slayer unit was responsible for 2300 points of damage and an additional 400 for killing the general and BSB, punching waaaaay above their weight class .

I was due for an ass kicking 😛

20- 0 for Andre
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:35 pm

I think this is my only win against Dom's vc this season...now i can retire
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:10 pm

Carson and myself had a battle to the death.

His Vermin Swarm were no match for my Warriors of the Dark Gods Hellfire/Monster Legion - on paper affraid

On turn two I got 5 long charges off and things looked really good for the Warriors. But he held across the board and that was not good.

The combined might of my Demon Prince (General), a unit of Warriors (Wrath) and Giant I was able to kill his best rat unit - I think they were called Storm Vermin, I forget  Very Happy and then a large unit of rats next to it fled off the table. that was the highlight of the battle for my boys.
He killed my Feldrak Elder and Forsaken monster with magic and shooting before they got into combat...ugh  affraid affraid
I let the Gold spell - Glory of Gold ?? - go off....he rolls a 6 and a 6 so 7 hits at S 7...then next turn it was a 6 and 5...OMG

Anyway it was a 14 - 6 victory for the Vermin Swarm - no one got the secondary.

I will tweak and get those rats!!!
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:16 pm

Josh and I got a 2000pt battle in last night - Lord of the Night Prep

I was very confidant going into the battle, his Beast Herd did not look so menacing.

He has multiple blocks and ambushers and that Level 4 Shaman did his job. Minotaur's are not intimidating at all anymore.

My Chaos Lord on a Chimera (kinda cheesy but fun) ended up losing combat by 5 (ranks and banner and flank charge!!) and fleeing off the table...ugh

His magic is all buffs on his units and it works. His Beasts beat down my Warriors of Envy and I was surprised.

Josh Beast Herd  15  -  Derek Warriors of the Dark Gods  5
Josh got the secondary and I was all painted
Josh 18  -  4  Derek

This army list has not worked for me...3 battles and 3 defeats....back to the drawing board lol
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterW on Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:53 pm

Josh was kind enough to host for a 2000 point game between my Warriors and his Beast Heards tonight, my first time going up against them.

A refused flank deployment on such a small battlefield left both of us aiming for the same thing, hit fast and hard. A summoned Totemic Beast helped some Minotaurs nearly break my Chosen Knights but the favour of Pride continued to do me well and they held, subsequently taking the units out. Some aid of warhounds holding up the Beasts' tough block of halberd infantry with General along with the dice gods favour leaning away from the Heard allowed my forces to sweep through most of the Beasts and claim the secondaries.

Final Score: Win for Peter: 22 - 0 as I was fully painted
PeterW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum