Beta rules

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Re: Beta rules

Post  Kal on Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:07 am

Thanks Peter! I thought so but after my butt kicking on Saturday i wanted to verify.

Another quesiton, the new "Stand Behind" Rule.

Can i run a unit of ogres 3 wide with full command and put the shaman behind still?
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterW on Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:11 am

No problem dude. It doesn't look like the OK Shaman has the Stand Behind rule unless I am missing something.
PeterW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:17 pm

like Pete said....you have to have the stand behind rule.... unless the front rank is full of figs with the front rank rule. Musicians have front rank and stand behind, standard and champion have front rank only.

So...the shamen would have to go in the front rank and the musician into the second rank.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterW on Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:23 pm

Carson wrote:like Pete said....you have to have the stand behind rule.... unless the front rank is full of figs with the front rank rule. Musicians have front rank and stand behind, standard and champion have front rank only.

So...the shamen would have to go in the front rank and the musician into the second rank.

Yup, except that Standard Bearers also have stand behind, actually.
PeterW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:52 pm

good catch!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:46 am

Here's a question:

In the Sylvan Elves book there is a bow enchantment called Lifeseed Feathers. It affects the weapon differently depending on the range it is shooting at. It actually gets better the further away the target is. Anyway, if I'm shooting at a unit that is aligned such that it spans the range, (say the one end of the unit is 8" away and the other end is 12" away) what range do I use to calculate the weapon bonus? Can I choose to shoot at the end that is further away so I get a Str 5 shot instead of Str 4?

I'm thinking no, but I want the rules to tell me no and not just my gut.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:34 pm

Page 41. Clearly stated measuring closest points
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:00 pm

perfect! thanks Andre.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:15 pm

To be clear each model measures the distance to the enemy at the closest point , even if that point of the enemy is out of line of sight
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:40 pm

I think you were making a stretch Nathan,

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:08 pm

I was trying to channel my inner cheater I guess.  If I wanted to be really fast and loose with the rules I could probably find some obscure wording in the shooting section that I could then point to in order to justify my theory.

I will admit that it seemed sketchy when I first thought of it and when I typed it all out it only seemed more sketchy. I figured there would be some specific wording defining range. I was worried it might be to the center of the unit/model which can sometimes be a bit difficult to measure accurately. I'm glad that is not the case.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:36 pm

Here's another one of questionable interpretation:

Upgrading a Sylvan Elf character to the Wild Hunter Kindred reads as follows:

"The bearer's model gains Frenzy, Battle Focus, Fearless, Devastating Charge (+1 Att, Fear), Light Troops, +1 Att and -2 Def."

If I put that on my Character on an Elk, does the elk also get all those rules? I think it does because it says "the bearer's model". However, do both the elk and the character get the +1 Att or do I pick which one to give the +1 Att to?

Either way this character is going to be pretty mean.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:36 pm

I believe that situation is answered in the opening few pages of the rule book under models...I think...don’t have the rule book in front of me.
If the elk has a separate profile for attack and offence it doesn’t get the bonuses if I remember right.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:10 pm

I agree with Carson, i ran into this with Ogres and some upgrades they could take if they mounted a Mournfang, i dont recall what i read but it answered it fairly clearly in the rule book.

Additional Question: That might be in the rule book tbh. But how does Battle Focus work with Poison and Lethal Strike? I have a character that gives Tomb Guard Battle Focus but they also have built in Poison and Lethal strikes. So could you poison on the 6's to hit and get more hits that could translate into Lethal Strikes or am i missing something completely here?
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:37 pm

Kal wrote:I agree with Carson, i ran into this with Ogres and some upgrades they could take if they mounted a Mournfang, i dont recall what i read but it answered it fairly clearly in the rule book.

Additional Question: That might be in the rule book tbh. But how does Battle Focus work with Poison and Lethal Strike? I have a character that gives Tomb Guard Battle Focus but they also have built in Poison and Lethal strikes. So could you poison on the 6's to hit and get more hits that could translate into Lethal Strikes or am i missing something completely here?

Answer: the to hit roll with a six when you have poison and battle focus, becomes one auto wound ( poison ) and one hit that needs to roll to wound but can still be a lethal strike.
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:40 pm

Cool, thanks Dom. Exactly what i thought just wondered if it made sense. Kinda talked myself into it and then back out of it making sense haha. So now i just gotta practice rolling 6's!
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:42 pm

nathanr wrote:Here's another one of questionable interpretation:

Upgrading a Sylvan Elf character to the Wild Hunter Kindred reads as follows:

"The bearer's model gains Frenzy, Battle Focus, Fearless, Devastating Charge (+1 Att, Fear), Light Troops, +1 Att and -2 Def."

If I put that on my Character on an Elk, does the elk also get all those rules?  I think it does because it says "the bearer's model".  However, do both the elk and the character get the +1 Att or do I pick which one to give the +1 Att to?

Either way this character is going to be pretty mean.

Pg. 95 Explains equipment upgrades. If anything says model the whole model gains the rules, MR and the lucky charm thing for example. Not sure if somewhere it explains this for special rules, but to my understanding your mount would get the bonus.

Certain things give models rules but then exclude the mount with some condition sounding like "model parts with harnessed are not effected", since mounts have the harnessed rule, not sure if that applies to your character though.

EDIT** Page 74 explains universal rules regarding characters and mounts, to summarize a universal rule a character has a mount automatically gets.

Page 89 explains attack attribute rules. If only one model part has an attack attribute then only that part gets the benefit. In your case however the entire model seems to be gaining the attack attribute and the universal rules, which is awesome and makes that elk damn scary, I can't wait to kill it Twisted Evil
Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:08 pm

Multipart models on pg 5 of the slim rule book seems to agree that both would get it but under devastating charge it states only the model “part” gets the bonus. In short, the elk would have to have the rule to get the bonus

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:08 pm

As the upgrade gives the bearer’s model devastating charge I think that would mean both get it. In contrast I can also give the character an armour enchantment which grants the bearer devastating charge (+1 Str&Att) which would not carry over to the elk since the elk is not the bearer of the armour.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:50 pm

Printing out some extra Magic Flux Cards and i noticed the "Temporal Essence" cards, what the hell are these?
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:44 pm

I think Temporal Essence is for UD on the Ark of Ages. I looked it up but it's called Well of Souls now. Might be a misprint.
blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:45 am

Thanks Dwayne!
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:44 am

Ok so this came up in my game vs Lizards, First off Alpha Carnosaurs are DEADLY. They might even give a Bloodthirster a run for his money in CC. But the army has an upgrade called Spirit of the Stampede or something and it gives the bearers mount impact hits +d6. The Alpha Carno naturally has Multiple Wounds D3. Would these transfer over to the impacts?
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:56 am

"Multiple Wounds (D3)" is an "Attack Attribute".  Impact hits are a "Special Attack".  On page 96, second sentence under the heading "Special Attacks" it says "Attacks made using Special Attacks cannot be affected by Weapons or Attack Attributes, unless stated otherwise".

Therefore, no you can't multiply to D3 wounds on your impact hits.

I also noticed something I was doing wrong.  Sylvan Elves get a unique armour called Elven Cloak which when combined with light armour gives the wearer innate defense (1).  The armour upgrade I was using also gave my character innate defense (1).  I was thinking these two innate defenses would stack when in fact they do not.  I appologize to Dom.  In both our games my character should have had 1 less point of armour.  Luckily it didn't really matter as he managed to kill those characters quite handily even with the extra armour.

Last edited by nathanr on Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:00 pm

Thanks Nathan!
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content