4500 Points!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

4500 Points!

Post  nathanr on Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:43 pm

Our server went down at work this morning and I was dead in the water so I made a 4500 point list for all my armies. †Every list I made I would put together a list of everything I wanted and without fail it would come out to right around 5000 points. Sad With some hard decisions I whittled them all down to 4500 points. †I guess that's the purpose of the change, it hurts my heart though. †My dwarf army especially is tiny and my future Empire list cut some of the units I've been working on. †I figured that would happen though, I have more than 5000 points worth in the works and it shouldn't be too tough to swap things in and out as needed. †I'm actually fairly excited to try out the new Kingdom of Equitaine list this weekend.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 4500 Points!

Post  squalie on Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:56 pm

Just to be clear, I'm not sold on 4500. I did the same thing and not excited at all about my 4500 lists as they just seem unfinished. I have the sads. Sad
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:30 pm

squalie wrote:I have the sads. Sad

You should probably consult your doctor 😁

4500 is challenging! I have been trying for days to figure out a different list then the current 4500 point VC list I have. It's annoying but in a a good way because it really makes me think about what I'm bringing and why I'm bringing it. Do I really need this unit or do I just like the way it looks ? Am I okay with that ?

At 5000 I just find I can fit in things a bit easier and manage to take everything I want. But i also seems that i take things for no real reason when I'm not as focussed on points and %
I am well aware that the 500 point diffrence doesn't change things dramaticly, but just enough to make it interesting.

Nathan I look forward to seeing what you did to change your lists up.
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:55 pm

It is tricky. I'm old and set in my ways. I have certain units that I want a certain size with a certain loadout and when I can't fit all of them into the point limit I get confused and scared. I might be going about things the wrong way but I'm not big on change. 2.0 rules are going to rock me to my very foundations I think.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:35 pm

nathanr wrote:It is tricky. †I'm old and set in my ways. †I have certain units that I want a certain size with a certain loadout and when I can't fit all of them into the point limit I get confused and scared. †I might be going about things the wrong way but I'm not big on change. †2.0 rules are going to rock me to my very foundations I think.

Word. Dom, does have a couple good points though...
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:20 pm

Ha so very dwarfish of you all.
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:17 pm

So in theory I see the benefit of giving a lone character (on a mount or not) the lucky shield. However in practice it can be negated pretty easily. If my opponent has a unit of cheap bows and a war machine, all they have to do is shoot the cheap bows at the character first. Say 3/10 hit. The first hit is negated by the shield, the other two bow shots fail to wound but then the cannon is free to snipe away. Sure you've wasted 10 bow shots to negate a 10 point item.

Just a random thought.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:06 pm

That is true enough, but, I still auto include it when Iím fielding a ridden monster. I actually hope they get rid of it in 2.0....I donít like the idea of items that are auto-include.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:53 pm

I had a thought the other day as well, Maybe someone can point me in the right direction. It has to do with troop types and characters where does it say what can join what ? Is everything free to join anything ?

Watching a battle report a guy ran his chariot character inside a unit. Also I noticed that a carnasour is only a M beast thus becoming Mcav... So he can join a unit of rapid riders , or anything else for that manner
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:54 pm

I think its just monstrous beast and monsters that cannot join units.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:23 pm

Carson wrote:I think its just monstrous beast and monsters that cannot join units.

I think there's a rumour of being able to make Giant units in 2.0. Can't even describe how cool that is. Very Happy
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:28 pm

Pages 75-78 in the rulebook.

Also, if a model has towering presence it cannot join a unit unless it is a war platform (p97).
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:58 pm

So for my wood elves, I could make a unit of 3 heroes on stags. The unit would cost 1458 points but I'd have 16 S6 AP(1) and 9 S4 AP(1) attacks, 3 AP(3) bowshots at BS 6, 9 wounds with armour 2+. One would be the general with the buffers helm, one would be the bsb with the razor banner and dragonscale helm, and the other would have the helm of the hunt and the crown of scorn. what do you think? Add in some glade riders, wild riders, kestrel knights, briar maidens, eagles and you'd have a crazy-fast hard-hitting army. Unfortunately everything I listed (except eagles) counts as "fleet of foot" which is capped at 45% of a wood elf army. Sad

On the other hand, 5 wild riders put out 16 S5 AP(1) attacks and 10 S4 attacks and only costs 350 with full command.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

It would be cool....but I think you answered your own question.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:30 pm

I'm all for the crazy fast hard hitting army.

It sounds awesome and would be fun to play.

Keeps away from magic and Arty as much as she can and hit the enemy.

Very thematic and if you are so inclined would be open to a lot of fun and interesting fluff.

I was one of those nerds that wrote up background stories on all my characters and major units, created my own banner and coat of arms...and well perhaps I took it too far lol

Playing WDG right now...I luv the army...I keep thinking I'm gonna add more magic and/or a Master Sorcerer....but I most likely won't....I dont think it fits in with the theme of the army....but I like that I can:)

When my Dread Elves get rolling I can already sense that I will have a lot more magic but no alter, I think it will be more of a raiding party designed force and therefore only specific units will be fielded.

Loads of fun.
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:46 pm

The rending banner wouldn't work with your stag star. only affects non-characters.
blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:04 am

Right. Yet another reason to take wild riders instead.

It's too bad, it would be a fun unit to use if it weren't so dang expensive.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top