Wanting to get into Warhammer Table Top

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Wanting to get into Warhammer Table Top

Post  Stones on Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:46 pm

So, the usual questions you'll get are:

1. What army do you want to play AKA (What models do you like?)  Wink
2. Did you make a 5000 point army list so you can see what your army will look like and what models you'll need?  Do you like an infantry list, mounted list, how many monsters, etc?
3. Do you like to paint?  If so, we have to find you new in box models or bare plastic at least....and then you're buying paint.  If you'd rather just get a painted army and skip all that, do you care what it looks like as long as you get your army?  A well painted award army could easily be $1000+, while an "ok" painted army with most of what you'd need you might find for $300 +/-?

For your friend and a Warriors army they're easy to find as Warriors are VERY common and the unit choices in a Warriors army are plenty, so they can be a pretty cool army.  Dwayne has a painted Warriors army I think he's trying to unload, so keep him in mind.

For the Orcs, do you want just Savage Orcs, or do you want to mix in Goblins, Trolls, etc?  This goes back to making a list, whether you want a themed army or not and we'll get you exactly what you're looking for.  I would recommend finding a used army vs buying new off the shelf, you'll spend about 50% of new price this way.  Once you're addicted you'll buy a bunch of new stuff later. Wink
[/quote]

I have a midterm tomorrow so I'll try to make a list tomorrow after but since it's my first time playing it's whatever you guys think best
1. Orcs
2. Prefer Mostly Infantry but wouldn't mind a few boar cav. Also wouldn't mind trying out Giant/Spider/Idol
3. For me right now it's whatever I can get at the lowest price If I decide to stick with it.

Stones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:08 pm

i Will put together a Mixed orc list @ 4500 points for you to play on Friday. i am fairly familiar with what Andre has for models Very Happy
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stones on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:27 am

Kuyp wrote:i Will put together a Mixed orc list @ 4500 points for you to play on Friday. i am fairly familiar with what Andre has for models Very Happy  

Thanks! Appreciate it.

Stones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stones on Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:28 pm

So i'll be there around 7. Be wearing a brown jacket. Bringing my giant of a friend and a girl so I should be pretty easy to spot lol.

Stones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:14 am

Stones wrote:So i'll be there around 7. Be wearing a brown jacket. Bringing my giant of a friend and a girl so I should be pretty easy to spot lol.

So, how did it work out? Smile
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:31 am

It was good. Derek played against his son ( using my speedy dwarf list) while Dom and i coached Nathan and Byron with 2 more onlookers. It was a bloody good scrap with orcs facing the ogres.
Big moments were my giant bellowing to scare away a gargantula giving the ogres flank advantage. The orc general proved to be an immovable force as 2 combats in the center eventually lead to ogres fleeing and being run down( this did take a few turns and a lot of work).
In the end the orcs took a 15 to 5 win but there were lots of great game moments that i believe really showcased the high and low tides of the game. Apparently leadership 4 sucks balls...scratapult.
Looking forward to having a few more introduction games with the new four to help set up their ability to sling dice and solidify the game turn orders. It may seem quite overwhelming having never played a table top miniature game but there are a few of us with 10, 15 and 20 years in the game
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stones on Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:32 pm

Ya. It was fantastic. Thanks for being so patient with us! lol

Stones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:07 pm

That's great to hear, also I like the addition of yet another Nathan.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stones on Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:43 pm

Quick question, where can I find a good army builder?

Stones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:53 pm

Stones wrote:Quick question, where can I find a good army builder?

You'll get people telling you to use pen and paper, but those people are Dwarf lovers (can't be trusted) who are scared of computers (see: Dwarfs). You'll get computer engineer type people telling you to use excel (Aint nobody got time fo' dat!).

There's a free armybuilder on the 9th Age website:

https://www.the-ninth-age.com/filebase/index.php?file/103/

Or you could buy this:

http://www.wolflair.com/index.php?context=army_builder

It costs money, but you DO get a couple licences which you can split with a buddy. It also lasts forever now so it's a good investment.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:04 pm

Ha. I already told him about my perclevity for pen and paper.
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stones on Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:51 pm

I wasn't going to say anything lol

Stones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stones on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:23 am

So I made a list and just wondering what you guys think of it. Had a change of heart and will be looking at building an Empire of Sonnstahl army.

Imperial Prince on a Great Griffin
Wizard on Arcane Engine
4 x 20 groups of heavy infantry
1 x 20 State Militia
2 x 3 Knights of the Sun Griffon
1 x Arcane Engine
1 x Steam Tank
1 x Imperial Rocketeers
1 x Volley Gun
1 x 10 Imperial Rangers
Total Points = 4490

The only thing I couldn't really find what they did was the Arcane Engines.

Thanks for any input.

Stones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:20 am

Had a change of heart and will be looking at building an (insert army)

Welcome to Warhammer! What I want Tuesday is not what I want Wednesday. Wink

It's hard to make a list when you've really only had one game, but what you have here isn't tooooo bad.  A great Griffon general isn't the most practical, but I've seen people do it. You may consider putting your core infantry into larger groups and you'll definitely need a BSB.  A GENERAL rule of thumb is to keep your core to a minimum.  Flagellants are very good and Great Swords are cool.  Dwayne, Carson and others will be along to give you better advice than I have.

Last edited by squalie on Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stones on Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:15 pm

Ya, I figured the Great Griffon wasn't the most practical thing but I figured it was easier than the dragon lol. I'm also thinking my artillery, steam tank, and arcane engines aren't the easiest to obtain.

So in my infantry, I have them with a Standard Bearer, is that different than a BSB?

Stones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:24 pm

A BSB is a Battle Standard Bearer.

He is a character that can take magic weapons, items and banners.

He also gives friendly units within 12" a re-roll on leadership based tests.

A very good character to have in a low leadership human army.

Empire is a great choice for a first army build - they have a little bit of all types of troops.
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:32 pm

Don's right, playing this game will make you want every army at least once, most likely anyways.

As far as the list goes I actually like a lot of things about it, you definitely need to add a BSB though, for sure. As far as the rest it would be a good idea to think about what units are going to be used for, I like to consider selecting units for the following reasons: defensive speed bumps (AKA chaff, things used just to slow your opponent down), units you are A-OK sacrificing if need be, units you definitely don't want to sacrifice(wizard bunker units, BSB's unit etc), units that can kill things, units that will never die (point denial strategies), fast units for hunting glass cannon type enemies, and lastly units that can operate independent of the general's Inspiring Presence (good leadership or things that don't take panic tests are good examples of this). There are more but just think about things like this when list building, also the more you play the easier it is to recognize a unit and the role they may be able to play.

Would explain more but rushing out the door.... The rhyme was an accident.

Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stones on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:41 pm

Ya, I thought I had a BSB by adding the points to the heavy infantry under standard bearer. So obviously will have to change that.

Stones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:57 pm

As an empire player, the main goal is synergies. Your troops are not as strong as other armies but they fill very specific roles and they can provide synergies.

With your core set up, you have 5 supporting units (4 heavy infantry and 1 state militia) but no parent units for them to support. The biggest synergy of empire infantry is the balance between parent units and support units (and some characters to give their buffs). Parent units (Imperial guard, or heavy infantry with >20 models) give strong benefits to your supporting units and your supporting units can also help your parent units (by stand and shooting, counter charging, etc.). Learning that balance is pretty key and learning how to deploy to take advantage is also important.

How are you kitting out your heavy infantry and Militia is also important. Spears are what the meta tend to go towards but I like Halberds and Swordsmen. a block of 30 swordsmen is pretty hard to break from the front and the halberds are good at supporting them on the flank.

Finally, an imperial prince on a griffon/dragon sounds great but is really just going to be the target of a bunch of shooting without serious investment in defensive items. I've played with a dragon before (it's awesome!) but you always run the risk of losing it to cannons, bolt throwers or oodles of small arms fire. The same can be said for the wizard on an arcane altar. Great looking model but just putting a target on the field. Wizards tend to be better served in an infantry bunker where they won't be sniped. A kitted wizard on altar will run ~600-800 points which is a pretty juice target.
blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stones on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:24 pm

I have the infantry with spears and the militia with pistols

Stones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content