Wanting to get into Warhammer Table Top

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wanting to get into Warhammer Table Top

Post  Stones on Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:32 am

Hey, my name is Byron.

My friends call me an undercover nerd because I like kickboxing and going to the gym lol. Currently a student at the U of S. So I am looking to get into the table top because I've played a ton of the Warhammer games on PC and always enjoyed them, most recently the Total War series of it.

So I was just wondering what is the best way to get into this hobby? I see on the Gameshop website they have a bunch of collection boxes and was wondering if that's the best way to start? Currently, my favorite army in Warhammer is Lizardmen so I think I want to start collecting them first. Problem with that is being a student at U of S my funds are limited so I  want to get the most bang for my buck. I saw there's a 150 starter box that comes with two armies and a ton of the accessories and was wondering if I should start with that.

Last edited by Stones on Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Stones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wanting to get into Warhammer Table Top

Post  Mhael on Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:49 am

Welcome to the group.
You would be better off with the ninth age system. Very similar with the exception that we have a pretty active group of players. I have done some teaching games at our local hobby store...dragons den but also host games at my house.
 I dont have lizardmen but i do have dwarfs ogres and orcs and goblins. To get you through the basics of gameplay i suggest trying a few games before dropping cash in case you change your list.
 Also we have lots of guys in our community who trade and sell armies so that may be a cheaper option.
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stones on Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:36 am

Ya, I'm fine playing any edition lol, just thought the latest edition was called Age of Sigmar. I really like the orcs as well, don't know too much about the ogres though. Is it worth going to Dragon Dens at any time? I was thinking about going after class today.

Thanks for the reply.

Stones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:12 pm

Hey Byron, welcome to the group. If you are interested I have been going down to the den Friday nights for regular games. I'm sure Andre would be able to provide an army for you th check out and see what the table top version is like.

Age of sigmar is games workshops warhammer. After they killed the last edition of the game lots of players felt betrayed and 9th age was born. It's warhammer 8th edition pluss would be the best way to put it. Much better then age of sigmar.

If you want to buy an army but are on a budget you can normally find second hand armies online for half the cost of a new one.
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stones on Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:06 pm

Hey Kuyp, would it be alright if I joined you this Friday if you go?

Do you know some of the best places to find 2nd hand armies? I checked out the for sale page here and most of the posts are older so I'm not sure if they are still available.

Thanks for the information.

Stones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:12 pm

Don (squalie) is the man to talk to about buying armies. He's like that guy in prison that can get whatever you want/need. For $300 he can probably hook you up with 5000 points worth of pretty much any army.

Welcome here!
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:14 pm

Absolutely! Like I mentioned in sure we could put together an introductory game for you on Friday as well. I will be at the den for around seven.

As far as second hand armies bartertown normally is the best spot. Another of our members; Don, buys and sells lot of stuff online and could probably point you in the right direction.
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:03 pm

For $300 i may just part with my orcs.
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:41 pm

Welcome aboard, if you decide to take the plunge I canhook a brother up with some Lizards!!!
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stones on Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:24 pm

Right now I'm kind of leaning towards Orcs lol. Just did some battles with all the armies in Total War Warhammer and I just like them the best. Just a quick question, in the 9th edition is it just the greenskins all one army? Or is there a few like in warhammer there is a few different clans of them. Really like Wurrgog and his savage orcs.

Is it alright if I bring my friend on Friday? he's interested in getting into this as well.

Stones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:28 pm

Stones wrote:Right now I'm kind of leaning towards Orcs lol. Just did some battles with all the armies in Total War Warhammer and I just like them the best. Just a quick question, in the 9th edition is it just the greenskins all one army? Or is there a few like in warhammer there is a few different clans of them. Really like Wurrgog and his savage orcs.

Is it alright if I bring my friend on Friday? he's interested in getting into this as well.

All green skins are avlible under the same army. You can theme your army around whatever you like in the green skins.

And no it's cool , if I can show the hobby to more then one person at a time all the better
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:52 pm

I play themed lists all the time. I have an all goblin army but have enough combined points for about 4 orc and goblin armies.
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:54 pm

Welcome to the forum!

9th edition would be a lot like the Warhammer online you're viewing, PLUS we have a pretty big community in Saskatoon and Moose Jaw. Plenty of good guys here, you'll probably fit right in.

I can definitely help you find any army for much less than new. Just keep picking away at Warhammer online and try all the armies out. This game has a funny way of making you like the army on the other side of the fence. Smile

It'll all change when you roll some actual dice and then you'll be hooked. Wink
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stones on Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:40 pm

I like all the armies in Total War: Warhammer lol except maybe the dwarves lol, too slow.

Just want to say thanks for all the help.

Stones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:05 pm

Stones wrote:I like all the armies in Total War: Warhammer lol except maybe the dwarves lol, too slow.

Just want to say thanks for all the help.

You have no use for Dwarfs? I like you. Smile
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:14 pm

He didn't say that at all. He just remarked how they move at a very dwarfish pace which all dwarfs can do bc zero fucks are given to what is going on around them. If its not in chopping distance than its in shooting range
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stones on Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:36 pm

Hahahaha, I just like orcs because they're always looking for a fight, No backing down lol.

Stones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ddodge on Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:18 pm

The orcs are super fun. I had a few different ones to play around with in the past. If you want to test drive a lizard man army I have a bunch of saurus and skinks, slann and other stuff you could take for a spin. They are collecting dust and ugly, but they might give you a feel for them.
Ddodge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:40 pm

Welcome, it's always good to see new people interested in the hobby.

If you want to get an idea about what the game is like I would encourage you to check out all the army books online at https://www.the-ninth-age.com

All the army books detailing the different races are free, the core rule book is free, additional gaming aids are also free, definitely take a look.

Another great way to get a feel for the game would be to watch a battle report on YouTube, lots of different people playing many different armies, very inspiring.
Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stones on Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:29 am

Ya, I've already watched a few battle reports and looked at the 9th age rule book but just for the orcs so far.

Just want to say thanks again for everyone being awesome lol.

Stones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:38 pm

We have been focusing on expanding our group this year so if any of your buddies want to waste an evening rolling dice we can set up a tutorial night. I have a heated garage i can set a bunch of tables up and provide armies.
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stones on Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:57 pm

I have one friend, maybe two coming to the game night on Friday at Dragon's Den. We're also looking at Flames of War as well.

Stones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:10 pm

Byron do you have a list made? I would like to put models on movement trays thursday night. I will also bring 2 armies for your buddues and can go through a game with them.
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stones on Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:17 pm

Mhael wrote:Byron do you have a list made? I would like to put models on movement trays thursday night. I will also bring 2 armies for your buddues and can go through a game with them.

Like a list of models we want to use? I want to try and be orcs and I think my friend wants to try warriors of the dark gods if that's what you're asking. If that's not possible whatever is easiest for you, appreciate the effort you guys are putting in to help a noob lol.

Stones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:34 pm

Stones wrote:
Mhael wrote:Byron do you have a list made? I would like to put models on movement trays thursday night. I will also bring 2 armies for your buddues and can go through a game with them.

Like a list of models we want to use? I want to try and be orcs and I think my friend wants to try warriors of the dark gods if that's what you're asking. If that's not possible whatever is easiest for you, appreciate the effort you guys are putting in to help a noob lol.

So, the usual questions you'll get are:

1. What army do you want to play AKA (What models do you like?) Wink
2. Did you make a 5000 point army list so you can see what your army will look like and what models you'll need? Do you like an infantry list, mounted list, how many monsters, etc?
3. Do you like to paint? If so, we have to find you new in box models or bare plastic at least....and then you're buying paint. If you'd rather just get a painted army and skip all that, do you care what it looks like as long as you get your army? A well painted award army could easily be $1000+, while an "ok" painted army with most of what you'd need you might find for $300 +/-?

For your friend and a Warriors army they're easy to find as Warriors are VERY common and the unit choices in a Warriors army are plenty, so they can be a pretty cool army. Dwayne has a painted Warriors army I think he's trying to unload, so keep him in mind.

For the Orcs, do you want just Savage Orcs, or do you want to mix in Goblins, Trolls, etc? This goes back to making a list, whether you want a themed army or not and we'll get you exactly what you're looking for. I would recommend finding a used army vs buying new off the shelf, you'll spend about 50% of new price this way. Once you're addicted you'll buy a bunch of new stuff later. Wink
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top