Cheers to GW for the new FAQ!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cheers to GW for the new FAQ!

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:48 am

GW has released a new FAQ/errata to the main rules, and darned if I don't agree with almost every answer (or is it that the answers agree with me? Wink).

The one "WTF" answer is the one about characters charging out of units and Stand and Shoot, but it doesn't bother me that much.

Every other answer seems to make a whole lot of sense and is in keeping with the rules as they are already written, often clarifying longstanding issues.

One biggie is the errata for Magic Resistance, which is now only usable against spells that target the unit with Magic Resistance. The previous wording (the wording in the book) is "affect." So this change to "target" means that you don't get to use your Magic Resistance against Warrior Priest Soulfire, Drain Life, Burning Head, Crown of Taidron, the Casket of Souls, Miasma of Pestilence, Phantasmagoria, Pandaemonium, etc. "Take that!" Flesh Hounds!

Another interesting feature is that a miscast of 5-6 will now allow a Warrior Priest to cast a prayer, or a Tomb Kings player to cast an incantation, something previously specifically prohibited!

It is awesome to finally see multi-wound weapons in challenges against champions in print, as well as how many CR a Killing Blow is worth.
EDIT: Killing Blows in a challenge are really really good... Each Killing Blow scored counts for whatever wounds the character had left at the time. So if you scored 2 KB's against a character with 3 wounds, you'd get +6 CR for that, as EACH one counts as 3... Skulltaker (or appropriately substituted Bret Paladin) in a challenge against a Great Unclean One would be interesting. "Oh, two Killing Blows? I guess that's +15 combat resolution for me."

It's actually awe inspiring to finally have it in print (again) how to put characters with large bases (like a Herald on Palanquin) in a unit. You can EITHER put him in the unit, displacing rank and file, but counting the character as every model in every rank that he displaces, OR simply stick him on the outside of the unit. The fact that they finally answered this question is awesome (although it was answered just fine for 6th edition), but to actually have it in print that you can go with either option is awesome.

You can read the FAQ here:
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2220025_Warhammer_FAQ__PART2_Jan_2009.pdf

EDIT: Beast Cowers can be cast on units of infantry that include a mounted character. Beware everyone who does that...

EDIT: Note that models in challenges still counts as being in base contact with other models, so items like Destroyer of Eternities just got a whole lot better.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cheers to GW for the new FAQ!

Post  Carson on Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:45 pm

Yeah pretty good stuff, reading it showed me just how much I need to refresh myself with the rule book!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:17 pm

So GW has apparently screwed up the errata for multiple shot weapons...

Page 55, Multiple Shots, the first two paragraphs
should be replaced with:
‘Some missile weapons enable their users to shoot
several times – this is known as multiple shots. The
number of times the weapon can fire is given as
part of its description (e.g. a Dark Elf repeater
crossbow can fire two shots, so it is noted as having
2x multiple shots). ’

The problem is that there is only a single paragraph for the rule on page 55. So what ends up happening as a result of this errata is that the entire text of the rule as printed in the rulebook is gone, and replaced in its entirety with the above text. This has the unfortunate side effect of removing the -1 penalty to shoot with Multiple Shot weapons, as that little bit was in the third SENTENCE of the only paragraph of the rule.

Obviously GW intended to say "Page 55, Multiple Shots, the first two SENTENCES should be replaced with:" but until they fix it, some bastards out there may try and argue that their repeater crossbows don't suffer that penalty.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheWade on Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:30 pm

My favorite is how a magic user no longer has line of sight to the unit it's a part of.

TheWade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:55 pm

I am definitely of the opinion that any FAQ is better than no FAQ at all, and really agree with almost all of this (but who am I?). Some answers just seem a knee-jerk reaction to criticism than a thought out ruling. Over all though, I do think this advances the game.

Wizards can't cast on a mate beside them?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:08 pm

They have updated the FAQ (on the US site so far):
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2220025_Warhammer_FAQ_part2_Feb_2009

Fixed the multiple shots errata.
Put in a new bit about crossing paths when charging.
Fixed the references to Tomb Kings with regards to miscasts.
Reversed their position on double movement and other maneuvers (can't do it!). --> This one has big repercussions for wheeling. Better start measuring from the back outside model, because he can't move more than double his movement in one turn any more than the front outside model can. No more of that lazy measuring from the front outside model for wheels. Take that Bret Knights. Finally.

Shame they didn't fix that Wizard casting answer, but the movement one really makes my heart glad.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:54 pm

that is awesome, it always annoyed me that these huge bret lances often would dance around the field with wheels.
I know myself I need to clean up my movement phase!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:53 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top