grand tournament

View previous topic View next topic Go down

grand tournament

Post  Carson on Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:37 pm

So with the upcoming tournament that Andre and myself have kickstarted I thought that we should have a thread to discuss ideas to make this a great event.

The only point I want to put forward is that time is a bit of an issue as I feel we need to get it rolling asap. We want to be able to draw as much out of towners as possible and it needs to be advertised sooner than later to make this happen.

So lets hear them...

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: grand tournament

Post  Mhael on Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:51 pm

I did my showcase at tooncon today. It went alright. I was only given a 2hr time slot which wasnt near enough to teach brand new people everything so we only got though 2 turns. That being said i think we will see another returning player and I got a request/invite to be included in Regina's board game convention in march. They want to include a miniatures game...maybe we can scare some Regina dice rollers out of the shadows. Anyone know any community sites down there.
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:38 pm

I think first thing we need to get the website going. I started working on some graphics for it but I'm not really a web-design guy. Do we have any web design people in the league or know anyone who is? It would be slick if we could set it up so people can register and pay online. I can keep plugging away but i think we need a clear idea of what we want on the website. Alternatively, we could just make a Facebook page or event. The benefits of that are that people don't need to search for some obscure website, they are on Facebook anyway. Also, we don't need to put together a fancy website or layout, it's just Facebook that everyone knows how to navigate.

Second we're going to need terrain for 15 tables. The Den's terrain needs some TLC and maybe we can build some new pieces or have individuals commit to building a table or two of terrain.

We could also think about refreshments/food. Do we want to have free snacks/drinks or have someone work a snack shop? I have a Costco card and if we plan what we get we could probably break even or make money by selling everything for $1.

How are we judging best painted? 1 judge, panel of judges, popular vote? All options have merits and downsides. Maybe a combination would be best.

The closest non-murderry hotel to the venue is probably either the holiday inn express or the ramada. We could inquire about group rates at either or both.

I would also double-check to see what else is going on at the church that weekend and what the acoustics are like. Are people upstairs stomping around and making noise disruptive to what is happening downstairs and vice versa? Are there separate entrances? If so, is our entrance well-labelled or are we going to have people show up and leave because they can't find the right door? Are we sure that we can be there Sunday morning while church is happening upstairs?

Those are my thoughts for now. Carson always puts on a good tournament and I'm sure this will be no exception. We should start promoting it soon wherever we can. We can probably fill 15 or so spots if everyone in our circle shows up which means we need to fill another 15 spots from outside.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:39 pm

Well I was screwing around on the net looking at different 9th Age armies and I came across an interesting website.

https://www.tabletoptournaments.net/index.php

You can register the tournament there....all kinds of table top games, and they gather data on results etc...

pretty cool.

Im not saying we will get a bunch of gamers from Europe playing but its cool to be recognized.
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GeoffKlassen on Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:44 pm

I myself can supply 2-3 tables of terrain. If we all chip in we can probably get enough to do it all. Is this gonna be an all weekend thing or just for Saturday? Should we run more than one system and include the Hunters of the Warp people they have over 50 playing members right now. As for painting judging Laura used to do the judging when I used to run all the tournaments but Scott R would be a good resource for that too.

If we need better terrain then we could have a few Weekends of terrain building to up the quality needed. Just a few ideas.
GeoffKlassen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:13 pm

There are a number of groups that could be interested in a local tournament (40k, and guild ball have pretty big presences at the den). I know for a fact that the 40k guys want a local big tourny.
blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:53 pm

I will squash the other system chat right now. Our venue will not accomodate for year one, deposit has been made. Next year if we are successful we can look at a different venue to include other systems the price couldnt be beat. Carson and I already scoped the place out and asked all the appropriate location questions.
I am looking after food/snack requirements.

We could use a banner and something to mark the exterior entrance, also maybe post on the web page ei north west entrance should suffice.

I have 2 mats and terrain for both. Location has tables and chairs. Set up will be Friday night. Tourny saturday and sunday.

We could look at asking the ramada for group rates. It is the closest decent hotel.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:47 pm

That was my thoughts as well Andre. Keep it simple then grow it. I just know that there are a lot of groups around for future growth.
blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:08 pm

Ok, so the holiday Inn was my first choice, but I'll check into group rates at both.
The church members are aware of the game system we are playing and what the noise level could be. They approved rental and have even offered to supply us with Sunday breakfast and or lunch. I'll be working out the details.
As Andre mentioned and Geoff generously offered along with mine we have right now enough terrain to cover 9 tables. mats or cloths are another issue that needs solved. I have 3 mats. A terrain building day would be a great idea with various members in charge of different pieces.

to do list so far....

-check group rates at the holiday inn and ramada
-account for terrain and mats
-finish website, and post on the various facebook sites with links to the web site.
-trophy and prizes
-painting judge/or organizer judges
-various stores advertising

Nathan is finishing up some graphics for the web site, once those are finished I'll get the site going. Andre is in charge of food/snacks during the event.
I've dealt quite a bit with Darren at the Den with prize support so I'll look after that issue.

Would anyone volunteer to handle one of the other above points?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:25 pm

There was already a thread about this 6 spots down, but whatever...

So, since I'm always Captain monkey wrench, here's me doing what I do best.  I mentioned to Carson during our game on Saturday that even though we kinda talked about hosting an event in Saskatoon, that the "finalizing" of the event seems to have come out of nowhere.  Did we actually decide on a name of the event or did a dude just pick it?  Is this an Andre/Carson annual thing or is there a committee?  Is this a one day or 2 day event?

Just curious. Wink
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:08 am

So far it looks like Carson and Andre have taken the reigns on this and I'm fine with that. We often talk a big game but when it comes down to actually doing something it dies out. If Carson and Andre have the motivation to see this through then I'm all for it. That said, I'll do my best to help out. I will finish up the graphics today Carson. If you don't have them by this evening you can burn my house down. I can also make a few posters.

Don, if you look at the WIP website it clearly says that this is a 5 game, 2 day tournament on January 27 and 28.

I don't care what the tournament is called. It could be called Unicorn Penis and I'd still attend. In fact I might be more likely to attend just to see what the deal was.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:45 am

Tournament name us 'war on the plains' i think its on a different topic thread
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:00 pm

The website WIP says "Plainswar" and that's what I was using for the new website graphics. I can change them though.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:43 pm

Unicorn Penis.....hmmm we might get a larger crowd.

As long as no one is wearing those big pink pussy hats I'm cool.

Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

fixing terrain

Post  D9 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:07 am

@nathanr
Some of the 40k guys have been touching up terrain, and I have left a 2 gallon can of dark grey paint on the black shelves on the north wall. You guys are welcome to use it for any repairs you want to do, I only ask that you make sure to seal it up when you are done. Im sure the 40k group will get the fantasy stuff in time, but there is a whole lot of terrain back there, and with 3 guys it took most of an evening to get just one big shelfs worth done.

D9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top