Kingdom of Equitaine

Go down

Kingdom of Equitaine

Post  nathanr on Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:09 am

So every time I roll out the KoE army people ask me how I like it or what I think of it. I figured I'd put down my thoughts here in a very unorganized way:

1. I like this army. I liked the bretonnians but they weren't very good. KoE retained the flavour of the Bretonnians and made them a viable army again. So many interesting and good army choices are available.

2. You can't just charge and hope for the best. In most of my games lately I've heard comments like "I've never seen Bretonnians flee so often" or "backing up? Not very Bretonnian of you". That's right, the KoE knights are smarter than the overly chivalrous (and stupid) Brets of old. I can flee and still retain the blessing which opens up all kinds of new strategic options. Kingdom of Equitaine is a cavalry army in a game which favours infantry so you have to pick your fights and make them count.

3. Grail knights are beasts. There is a reason the latest revision to the rules capped them at a max 8 models/unit and only allow one character in the army to join. I think I actually prefer using them in a small 5-man dart with a character though so that they don't attract as much shooting and magic attention but a full unit of them could be devastating.

4. Pegasus knights are the biggest surprise to me. They consistently punch above their weight class. It's nice to see as they were always one of my favourites in the army. I think it's the devastating charge that makes them so good. Nobody expects 9 S6 attacks (and 6 S4 from the mounts) from a unit of 3 fliers.

5. Trebuchets are hit and miss tongue . Maybe I'm using them wrong but my strategy with them is to pick the infantry unit I don't want to fight and drop rocks on it. It won't kill the unit but 2 trebuchet hits should weaken the unit enough to make it not scary anymore. 2 trebuchets is a lot of points, 560 to be exact, but I think they are necessary in order to give you a tool to deal with things that the knights would have a hard time with.

6. Lance formation is the key to the army. Steadfast is and will always be the rock to the cavalry army's scissors. With the lance formation the KoE have a chance to negate that and break things on the charge.

Those are my thoughts, I'll maybe add to it here and there as I play more games with them. Feel free to add your comments and rant about how broken my general is (Sean).
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kingdom of Equitaine

Post  nathanr on Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:52 pm

When I say "so many interesting choices" I mean, you can make this if you want:

Paladin on a Pegasus
Paladin on a Pegasus with bsb

4x20 crossbowmen
2 trebuchets
3x5 questing knights
5x10 knights forlorn
The green knight
Brigands

5000 points

10 scouting units, 9 of them scoring. 1 ambusher. Who would expect that?

Go from that to:

4 castelans, 1 damsel
3x50 peasant levy
3x10 peasant bowmen
2x5 mounted yeomen
2x10 brigands
40 peasant crusaders
Sacred reliquary
2 trebuchets

5000 points. All peasants all the time.
So many options available!
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:46 pm

It definitely seems like KoE is in a better place than Bretonnia ever was, and that's good to see.

Not sure what the OP lord comment would be from, I guess I'll just have to play a game to find out!
Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:43 pm

You'll figure it out when he cuts your head off Very Happy

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:45 pm

Carson wrote:You'll figure it out when he cuts your head off Very Happy

Orcs stand a little taller than rat men, it won't be so easy for the puny human. Cool
Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum