Dwarf runes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dwarf runes

Post  nathanr on Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:04 am

Looking at dwarf tunes, specifically the rune of craftsmanship (weapon becomes a magical great weapon) and the rune of quickening (For each Rune of Quickening engraved on a weapon, the bearer strikes at +2 Initiative when using this weapon).

It seems to me that this means I could give a guy a rune of craftsmanship and 2 runes of quickening and strike with a great weapon at I4 (initiative becomes zero because of great weapon and then add +2 for each wound). Does that sound right?
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dwarf runes

Post  Mhael on Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:17 am

Not sure how the order would work
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:01 am

The rules for great weapons say "attacks made with a great weapon... strike at Initiative 0 (regardless of wielder's Initiative)." While the rune of quickening says "the bearer strikes at +2 Initiative when using this weapon". The rune's wording doesn't necessarily add to the wielder's initiative, it just says they strike at +2 initiative when using the weapon, similar to the great weapon rule's wording which says they strike at initiative 0 when using the weapon.

In the Priority of Modifiers section (main rules page 13) the I0 would be applied first and then the addition would happen so I think it's legit.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:41 am

You could be right on it.
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:58 pm

It isn't a great combo anyway, it is effectively 120 points to let your dwarf king hit slightly quicker but still after elves and most characters with his great weapon.

The better combo (still pretty overpriced for what it does) would be the GW rune, the lightning reflexes rune and the +2I rune. Same price but now hitting at I6.

Better still would be to give him 2 +1 strength runes and then a +2I rune so he can use a shield and still hit at I6. The shield is 20 points more but the axe is the same price as the two above.

Upon closer inspection it seems that the +2I rune is not meant to be combined with the GW rune. I think the best combo for the GW rune would be with the rune that doubles the strength vs T5 or better and the lightning reflexes rune. That way you're almost always hitting on 3+ and often on 2+ and always wounding on 2+ unless your target is T9 or 10. Plus you get to swing at I4 which is decent, especially for a dwarf.

Last edited by nathanr on Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : further thoughts)
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:02 pm

Yeah the problem I saw with the GW rune was that you have to give up your built in shield wall rule.

I do like the idea though of having a GW dwarf with t6 and the "wounds must be rerolled" rune with a 1+ armour save and 4w b/c of shield bearers. Seems real nasty.
Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top