9th Age Summer-Fall 2017 League Reports

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 9th Age Summer-Fall 2017 League Reports

Post  Carson on Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:10 pm

Its tough to play against Undead raising with an open mind, but the extra 1500 pts he raised got him a draw, right? It is what the army is about. Can you imagine that army not being able to raise!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:14 pm

My dice didnt help me much during the first 4 turns
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:37 pm

Mhael wrote:My dice didnt help me much during the first 4 turns

Yep like I was saying last night for me raising my units it was ideal as it could have been , getting almost all my spells off and all my raise rolls were also pretty dam good.

After the first test I most certainly learned a few things and have to go back to the drawing board on a few things. Trying to keep everything inside my bubble ranges became difficult very fast , and trying to move like I was was not effective. I needed to close the door much faster to start grinding away wounds. Also my "power house" units didn't really do as well as I thought they would but lesson learned
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:41 pm

I brought out the Ogres for Carson's gamesday weekend and they didn't disappoint! I fell in love with Shamanism (sorry Dwayne Wink ) but I'm not sure about Ogres, gonna sit them on the shelf for a bit and see what happens.

Game 1. Ogres vs. Carsons, Vermin Swarm. 20-0 for me. Got secondary and neither painted.

Game 2. Ogres vs. Andre's Dwarfs. 20-0 for me. I got secondary, neither painted.

Game 3. Ogres vs. Sean's Dread Elves. 20-0 for me. I got secondary, neither painted.

Game 4. Ogres vs. Pete's Warriors (Welcome Pete!). 20-0 for me. I got secondary, neither painted.

Game 5. Ogres vs. Dwayne's Empire. 17-3 for me. no secondary (we forgot), neither painted.

5 games, 97 points...was a good event. Other's can mention some of the game highlights.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:26 pm

squalie wrote:

Game 5. Ogres Totemic Beasts vs. Dwayne's Empire. 17-3 for me. no secondary (we forgot), neither painted.

Fixed a typo for you Wink

In all truth, I'm sure there are ways of dealing with totemic beasts that I just haven't figured out. It's a tool in the toolbox and I just need to figure it out (without needing to take a steam tank). Maybe more units of pistol infantry or Reiters.
blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:27 pm

Pete and myself played a game Saturday at Carson's place.

The game was actually very close for about the first 4 game turns. A charge from my chariots round one helped my iron orcs win a combat vs chaos warriors with halberds and wrath mark. In the center was a troll vs troll combat that lasted a long time, with not a lot happening. My trolls did however manage to make a crazy amount of saves, 4+4++ is really nice. That combat ended only when Iron orcs charged them in the rear. Up to this point it was still very close, then Pete's trolls fled to right in front of his own knights to start his turn 4, causing him to be unable to charge me and basically winning me the game (honestly it was the worst thing possible for him on that turn). Also my Feral Orc warlord killed a lot of stuff, all because of a failed frenzy check that caused a charge, which turned into like 4 overruns in a row.

The game ended with our generals battling it out in a challenge, my Iron Orc Warlord heroically cutting down the representative of the dark gods.

20-0 Victory for me, neither were painted. I have to stress though that this game was not a blowout for me until about the 5th turn, it honestly could have gone either way until then.
Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:56 am

Carson came over for a game last night. Rats vs Dwarfs battleline with hold the center. I deployed electing to go 2nd with one scout and 2 vanguards we both got to the center early in this game. Carsons slaves managed to hold the center against a unit of deepwatch and greybeards (even a 12 shot breath weapon) until the calvary could come in.
His general failed a frenzy in turn one which pulled him out but i failed to charge my 2nd unit of deepwatch at his abomination. Turn 2 Carson tried to return the favor with a 2d6 impact or grinder rat which I elected to strategically withdraw from hoping to shoot it with my rangers on the flank...they eventually did.
My hold guardians charged down his doom wheel on the other side and turned to charge his skirmish unit whike his rat ogres were positioning themselves for a sweet flank or rear charge on the center combat.
Carson got wrath of god off one time with a miscast which was then lost for the rest of the game (devoured and he rolled a big 20 on his miscast). My bsb with handgunners and deeowatch unit charged the flank of his abomination which killed enough greybeards to seperate into 2 seperate combats.
Carson was then able to charge his general into the remaining greybeards...still in center combat against slaves with deepwatch killi g the greybeards and overrunning into my bsb and handgunners. My deepwatch held the center with my holdguardians coming in on the flank of the slaves to finally pop them and overrun into the flank of his general.
His general killed my handgunners leaving the bsb there which got into a challenge negating any holdguardian attacks. After Carson killed my bsb I then flank charged with my second unit of deepwatch having previously dispatched carsons abomination and the cimbined effort made 'short' work of him.
I flank charged carsons second unit of slaves which decided ti flee right through all the center combats killing 15 of themselves in their hurry.
Back to the center Carson charged his rat ogres into the flank of my deepwatch and bell unit in the front which stymied his storm vermin from having room to flank charge my holdguardians. My deepwatch stood there and took as good as they got waiting for help from the other deepwatch unit.
Turn six ended with his rat ogres fleeing, bell unit held suffering another miscast but just an 8. His storm vermin were able to charge my hold guardian and break them but unable to help the center. I magic moved and marched enough scoring units in to take the secondary objective.
This was a bloody crazy fight for the center with me winning 11 to 9 but 14 to 6 with secondary
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:18 pm

It was a really good scrap. The slaves in the centre refused to die or run which normally would have been good thing but it really hampered my ability to bring support in.
One thing that I have noticed playing skaven is the lack of scoring choices. Last night, all but one of andres units were scoring while I had only 2. Out of my losses this league, 5 of the 7 were because of scoring.

It's one of the design problems that skaven players have been bringing up on the forums lately. Hopefully the design team can address the problem. Over all though, I'm having a lot of fun with army. It doesn't perform all that well on the table but is a blast to play.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:48 pm

Dwayne and I had a game last night. His warriors of chaos had their way with my knights. I didn't do myself any favours though, my Pegasus knight units both fled from charges and then kept running off the table. My trebuchet also misfired first turn and couldn't shoot for the rest of the game. My general got cocky and charged his chaos lord on a chariot. 3 hits from a S3 toxic breath weapon at I10 was all it took as dwayne rolled 3 5's to wound and the lady knew she couldn't stand up to grandfather nurgle which is why I failed all 3 ward saves. The only knight of Equitaine who wanted to fight was my bsb. He was my last model on the table and he made a good showing before his heroic death.

16-4 for dwayne, he got the secondary and I was painted so 19-3.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:00 pm

My monsters did not do what I expected of them but no stomps really sways their combat effectiveness. My dragon ogre shaggoth did hold up a unit of knights for a couple of rounds through but i expected more wounds from him. with 5 str 7 attacks, there were rounds where he did no wounds on the knights.
blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:50 am

Dom and I faced off last night in a pitched battle, with the destroy units secondary. The battle saw Dread Elves take on Vampire Covenant.

This game lasted the entire 6 turns and had lots of back and forth, with the Elves taking control of the table as the game went on.
Notable happenings:
- My Dragon riding Princess was walked to death by wight things -_- I made the mistake of not charging them when I had the opportunity (magic attacks and a divine icon would have made short work of them) and it cost me dearly.
- DE managed to shoot a 6 strong unit of vampire spawn to death, losing only one bolt thrower in return.
- Corsairs absolutely went to town on a huge unit of zombies in the centre, deleting the unit over 3 rounds of combat. This was where the game was lost for Dom as on the second round of the combat he decided to charge in his Altar of Undeath to aid the zombies... it did not aid them. He got a flank charge into the corsairs but did zero wounds, I armoured everything that round and popped the Altar.
- A huge unit of 60 skeletons charged my tower guard, took huge casualties, doing only 4 or 5 wounds in return. On my next turn I counter charged with crossbow elves and a hydra, grabbing two flanks and destroying the unit.
-Vampire knights charged my hydra, who fought valiantly but lost by two, failing two tries at a ld6 he fled and was chased down. This allowed my corsairs and xbow elves to grab two big flanks on the knights, grinding them down and killing the last knight on turn 6.
- My tower guard were charged in the flank by the wights, which managed to get half points for them with a final wound on turn 6.
- Elves took the secondary objective.

It was a bloody game but the Elves were victorious. 16-4, neither were painted.
Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:33 am

Nathan R and I also faced off at 4500 pts. I used a modified dwarf list that i have already been running. Nathan played HE. We drew counterthrust with scoring units in enemy deployment which can be a bit akward rememberi g exact zones.
Dwarfs won the magic side this game rolling a big phase when i needed combat.
My generals unit popped his bsb spear block due to excessive wounds...i had a breath weapon doing 8 and Nathan failed to hit back. We then suck in combat after i overran into his frost phoenix and got flank charged by swordmasters.
I managed to survive with the help of my bsb snd handgunners on his swordmasters flank.
My holdguardian wiffed on the flank and were run down by four horseman.
My second unit of deepwatch smashed his knights of Ryma.
My scouts couldnt survive 2 rounds against his general, eagle and 3 horseman .
In the end my general and one deepwatch survived being sheltered by my bsb and handgunners thanks to a turn six magic move that allowed them to re face his oncoming general and Eagle.
I took secondary and over 40% win but was not painted so 18 to 4 for me. I got some above average dice this game and Nathans swordmasters hitting on 2s wounding on 3s couldnt quite cut through my deepwatch thanks to some helpful buffs.
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:19 pm

I didn't have luck on my side that's for sure. My Phoenix/swordmasters left one deepwatch alive and Andre saved a few wounds in the last round of that combat to swing it his way. Then my 2 units of silverhelms failed to make a unit of handgunners flee and my general failed to scare away his other handgunners/bsb. Earlier in the game my spearmen lost one too many models to lose steadfast so instead of sticking for a turn and getting a flank/front charge from my swordmasters and Phoenix I fled and was run down. Bye bye 1000+ points.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:52 am

Sean and I made the drive to Saskatoon yesterday and got in 2 games each.  My first against Nathan.A.  and his Dread Elves.  Nathan castled nicely in the corner waiting for the inevitable surge from my Wrath Daemons.  His army looked suspiciously small but it was enough to pick away and destroy the Daemons.  18-2 for Nathan.  I was a little frustrated and whiney with a couple of my units that should just listen and kill Elves, but that's the way it goes!  Was still a good game and I even learned a few new rules! Wink

Next game against Dwayne and his Warriors went better for me.  I had a couple pockets of bad rolls, but not like Dwayne who's BSB Knight unit was lethal struck and ultimately ran down by some slaughterers.  Even worse, my unit of 5 Wrath Furies charged his Lord Sorc on Disc, did a wound taking no damage in return!  That rattled the Sorcerer enough to flee allowing the Furies to run him down picking his bones.  A couple pockets of bad luck and Dwayne stuck out his hand late game. 19-1 for me.  He did have a Bloodbeast doing an impressive job on the right flank, being pretty much the only model left in the game, but it did eat a fair amount of Daemons!

As always, great to see everyone and get emotional over a game of toy soldiers. Wink (I got sulky that my Scourge of Wrath didn't fight an army all by itself, lol)

There were a couple fellows that showed up asking a ton of questions about the game, so it's possible we may have more new faces for the league. If anyone has armies for sale, dust them off as I think a couple guys need a starter army!

Dean Dodge, the everlasting, also showed his face to be tempted and taunted with 9th age. We'll get you yet Dean, we'll get you yet.....

.. we DID talk about some serious D&D, so we'll see what comes out of that.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:30 am

Played against Don and Sean Yesterday. The first game was a really fun game against Don's demons, lots of stuff happening every turn. Finally on the last turn of the game the last demon perished. I was pleased to finally get a win vs those damn things, ever since I started playing OG as my main they've been my nemesis for sure.

Second game against Sean was even better for the elves. I castled up in one corner again, trying to take full advantage of my shooting. Sean managed a long first turn charge against my dark raiders with a 6 man ogre unit, wiping them out and reforming. Over the next two turns my corsairs and tower guard managed to take that same flank, killing a giant and the ogre unit that had destroyed my riders.

Magic for Sean managed to kill some tower guard, shooting for me managed to half his bombardiers unit. I was feeling good about this game as the right flank was wholly controlled by me, but with the rest of Sean's army closing in on my xbows it was about to get bloody, enter the hydra.... The hydra charged Sean's main block of bruisers with bsb, he failed a rerollable 8, and fled off the table after bouncing through about 3 units, Sean conceded.

20-0 for the Elves, neither were painted.
Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:21 pm

I had two games yesterday, the second of which Don posted already.  I was running my warriors.

The first game was against Sean and his ogres.  Sean came forward pretty fast and shot my chariot off with a fuselage of bombardier shots.  My warriors were not deterred and while my barbarians didn't do much, my warriors and monsters worked hard on the flank.  Sean's giant made a good charge on my blood beast which made quick work of it, freeing my my warriors to surge into his back lines.  My knights really did the heavy lifting, killing the bombardiers and overrunning into the flank of some tusker cav.  I think my bsb+knights ended up taking out the bombardiers, mercs and tuskers themselves.

At the end of the game, it was a 39% differential with both of us contesting the secondary.  16-4 win for the warriors. My warriors were not painted but I'm not sure about Sean's ogres (thought they were but Nathan says they weren't above).
blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:42 pm

blizzard435 wrote: (thought they were but Nathan says they weren't above).

I am WRONG! Sean's Ogres were fully painted, I wasn't, thank you Dwayne.
Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:13 pm

All good; I wasn't 100% sure.
blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterW on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:08 pm

Carson and I had a game this afternoon, my Warriors of the Dark Gods pitted against his Vermin Swarms with Hold the Ground secondary.

The early turns didn't show much excitement as my magic was shut down almost completely and my Warriors were in a consistent state of having Broken Spirit. My Chimera swooped in to the side causing 4 wounds on his Abomination with its breath weapon before getting torn apart by it, however my Fallen Beast managed to ambush in near his Lightning Cannon and Jezails on turn 2. A unit of Barbarian Horsemen fled from some Rat Ogres only to slowly die from running through a forest and getting finished off by some Giant Rats and Gutter Runners, but this failed charge left the Rat Ogres behind in their positioning.

After taking some metalshifting hits the Doomwheel zapped up and flanked a unit of Wrath Knights whittling them down to only two models but was destroyed shortly afterwards in combat while my Once-Chosen of Change were setting up for a charge on his buffed up wizard's unit. My Mauler Chariot was able to support the Once-Chosen as the Lightning Cannon (Which had misfired the previous turn) and Jezails could do no more than 3 wounds to it before the Fallen Beast destroyed the Cannon and the Jezails subsequently panicked off of the table. The combat ensued, a challenge aided by a magically acquired breath weapon left the rodent wizard dead even with Scarification and +1 Toughness and the unit was cut down by the mauler chariot. Meanwhile my Lord on a Crusher tore through some toxic flail rats overrunning off of the table to return later and mop of some slaves with the Fallen Beast.

The end blew in swiftly on turn 4/5 when the winds of magic and dice rolls favoured me heavily. In one magic phase my Sorcerer managed to finish off his Abomination and my Once-Chosen rolled two 6s for Hand of Heaven, causing six S6 hits on the Vermin's General, wiping him out in one blast. With the rats General-less and crumbling apart my Warriors with BSB Charged into his BSBs unit with chariot support. Another challenge was called out, BSB on BSB, but the rat was no match for the harbinger and he was cut down, the unit and what remained of the army following with him.

Score ended at 20-0 for me, neither were painted.

It was a good game and I had fun as always. I still cannot believe how heavily one magic phase (and the dice of course) affected the outcome. I think I dig these Once-Chosen of Change dudes...
PeterW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:14 pm

Carson seems to be having a tough go of it lol

I had my first 9th Age battle Sat night against Carson the Merciless.

I borrowed his Chaos Warriors of Pestilence Army and took on his Empire Tourney Army.

I deployed heavily on the right flank and did my best to stay away from his guns and roll up his flank. It was a fruitful strategy as I was able to beat down on his humans.
However, if the winds of magic and the dice gods were a little kinder to Carson he would have easily repelled my Chaos Horde.

Anyway it was a blast. I do enjoy the game play mechanics and in many way it seems more functional and smoother than the GW I grew used to many years ago.
I am worried that this new revamp of the rules will complicate issues and I am always concerned about too much magic in the game.

However, I do believe that I can squeeze the 9th Age back into my list of addictions.

Carson has offered to lend me his Chaos Warriors for a bit...they seem like a solid, fairly straight forward army to helm while I get my footing.

I do have a large amount of Dark Elves in various states of disrepair that I will begin to organize and until I can horn in on one of these Army Super Deals from the Far East I think that is the way I will go.

Scott you are missing a fun game.

Anyway expect to see me on the battlefield soon.

Derek
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterW on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:40 am

Glad to see you rolling dice again Derek! I look forward to when our paths cross in battle.

Andre and I had a game this evening, my Warriors against his swiftly moving Dwarves.  We played Refused Flank deployment and his vanguarding units were en route for a deadly pincer but some unfortunate failed charges left them unable to carry the plan out. As if the dice gods didn't find these rolls enough, a couple more failed charges were made in the same turn on the battle's front leaving my units within easy charge ranges.

My Lord and Knights proved a solid flanking force aided by magic on their side and poor rolls in the shooting phases on the Dwaven side of things. My Warriors and Mauler Chariot did in many a stunty in the first round of combat but the momentum died as the General's Deep Watch were buffed and held their ground long enough for the pincer to make it's way in. The rear charge demolished what was left of the Warriors and my BSB and Chariot were cut down.

The Dwarves did not manage to pursue far enough to leave the sight of my Once-Chosen however and a strong flank from them along with my Lord and Knights turning around allowed me to finish off the remnants of the units.

My Fallen Beast did manage to tie his rangers up but only after they joined in on a 1-2 Charge to cut down my Battle Shrine.

A lot of suspense on some potentially devastating charges had me going a few times! It was a fun game and ended with my Warriors winning with the secondary for a 17-3. I was not painted but I believe Andre was.
PeterW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:38 am

Peters dice liked him better than mine. Magic was low for both of us as i devoured one of his spells and he forgot another due to miscast...i couldnt roll bound spells very well either and they were easily dispelled. I was not fully painted.
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:20 am

So great to see new guys rolling out. We could have quite the community here!
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:48 pm

Pete we gotta play a game soon.

Carson said we can use his table. Maybe get Pete and we can get a couple games in.

Let me know

306-717-9825

Derek
Derek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Patrick V on Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:55 pm

Derek wrote:Pete we gotta play a game soon.

Carson said we can use his table. Maybe get Pete and we can get a couple games in.

Let me know

306-717-9825

Derek

i assume you meant Pat haha and yes i would for sure be down for that.
Patrick V

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top