League Playoffs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

League Playoffs

Post  blizzard435 on Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:27 am

Carson (VS) vs Dwayne (EOS) Battleline with capture the flag secondary
15-5 win for Carson, who gets to fight Nathan next.

The vermin set up around a hill while I stretch out my line. I got first turn where my shooting was awful killing nothing. Carson returned the favor by shooting 30 shots at my reiters and doing zero wounds to them. (Reiters are becoming Carson's nemesis) The game turned into a battle of missing artillery. Aside from my cannon being killed by his turn two.

An excellent magic phase saw Carson's BSB wiped off the map by double whammy Unerring strikes. My greatswords made a 16 inch charge on his bell unit after his general when for a panicked walk off to the board edge from watching the BSB die a horrific death. My greatswords, unsupported, couldn't put down the bell unit (The bell is turning into my nemesis pretty quickly). My swordmen and halberdiers put up some good fights against rat ogres and the abom but were killed. My solo wizard managed to not only stand up against a rat ogre overrun but managed to stick out the fight for an extra round on one wound!

After a nasty grind my greatswords finally were crushed after dealing the final blow to the screaming bell. My prelate charged the abom and purged it with fire. the battle was bloody but the rats pulled out a good win over the Empire. They will feast on man-meat tonight!
Comments:
I need to be more patient. I've lost a number of games by my greatswords breaking rank and running in without my wagon train. Makes for a hard battle to win.
Terrain was probably my MVP. Carson deployed behind a hill saving himself some good artillery fire on juicy units. However the same hill blocked his cannon from my juicy targets.
I'm liking Parent/Support units more and more and shying away from cavalry. Units of 20 halberdiers with a good parent is hard to crack.

blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: League Playoffs

Post  nathanr on Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:15 am

Nice work Carson! Good battle report Dwayne. Sounds like a bloody back and forth game. I'm free tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon or evening and Tuesday evening if one of those works for you Carson. Sounds like my elves will have their hands full.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:49 am

Reiters, are an amazing unit.

I could be up next weekend, would be looking for at least 2 games.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:40 am

I thought I was done when your greatswords made that long charge with box cars. I did make a lot of ward saves to keep the bell around until my support came in. I got lucky with the dice when it counted!

I made a mistake with the slaves leadership Dwayne, they are 2 not four so I would have lost that unit of slaves that killed the arcane engine.....not sure if that would make the difference in points!

I will concede the game to you because of my fuck up.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:52 am

Either way, whoever I'm playing, I'm free tomorrow and Tuesday for games.

Don I could probably give you a game next weekend.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:00 pm

I don't think it would matter Carson, you still had the secondary objective so a 15-5 would've been a 14-6 or 13-7.

I admit my defeat and hope that I learn sometime not to break ranks in the future.
blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:03 pm

Woahhhh. How about mentioning both players decided to change dice cubes this game due to excellent ones and twos ( i am mostly looking at Carson here).
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:27 am

I changed after a first round of abysmal dice rolling; but the new cube served it's purposes and put the scare in my other cube to roll better!

I think the cold blooded 6-6-5 leadership check did it for me.
blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:58 pm

Carson and I played our game Tonight. We played a battle line with a capture the flag secondary (which we promptly forgot about). We both loaded up on one side of the table. I advanced quickly across the board while his abomination sprinted toward my spear elves. I ended up charging the abomb with my spears and bsb. It took 3 rounds for my spears to chew through the giant rat-beast by which time a unit of rat ogres had queued-up to charge them in Carson's 3rd turn. Elsewhere, everyone in my army charged. My swordmasters and silver helms charged some slaves, my knights of rhyma charged his bell and my lord and Phoenix charged his stormvernin. The knights put 3 wounds on the bellwhich held, the lord and Phoenix won combat but the stormvernin stuck around. The slaves lost half their unit but with 20 left they had just enough to be steadfast.

The next turn things went sour for Carson. My Lord picked off his general causing his stormvermin to flee. My spears held against his rat ogres and worst of all his grey seer miscast and rolled a 15 which put 3 wounds on his caster with no saves allowed. That was enough to kill the bell. My swordmasters and silver helms finished off the slaves. In my turn everything charged again. The silverhelms helped the spears put some hurt on the rat ogres, causing them to flee and then running them down. My Phoenix charged his cannon, took it down to its last wound and then a lucky rat snuck a wound through, killing the bird. My general killed the remaining clan rats and my swordmasters continued bashing his bsb in a pretty even fight. The game ended with carson extending his hand with his bsb with 1 wound left, his single remaining shooty rat ogre with one wound, his cannon with 1 wound and his ambushers being his only unit remaining intact. I had my spears, bsb, my swordmasters and my general.

Carson was a great opponent as always. On to either Don or Andre!
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:21 am

It was a tough night for the rats......not only did they take a beating on the field but I dropped my army box coming into the house last night Shocked

Fun game, I had my chances but couldn't sneak in the odd wound that I needed to make at crucial times. I always loose my abomination quickly If it set it up too far forward, have to keep that in mind!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:06 am

Carson wrote:It was a tough night for the rats......not only did they take a beating on the field but I dropped my army box coming into the house last night Shocked

Fun game, I had my chances but couldn't sneak in the odd wound that I needed to make at crucial times. I always loose my abomination quickly If it set it up too far forward, have to keep that in mind!

You said "army box", which is probably why you dropped it. Wink Had you written, "carrying case" your luck may have been better...
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:49 pm

Great report. All I remember from my one game vs Nathan and his HBE is that there is a really scary monster killing spear in that book, KO'd a giant in one turn if I remember right.
Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:52 pm

It is a great spear, especially against monsters.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:36 pm

Yup, those spears and bsb killed an abomination, and a unit of rat ogres.....1150 points! That magical spear is fucking magical Shocked

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top