Post  Carson on Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:33 pm

carson ...skaven

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall league sign up

Post  Nathan.A. on Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:02 pm

Can I get a quick breakdown again of how league playoff spots are determined? Can't find the post where that was discussed earlier in the year.
Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:56 pm

I think it's top two point totals and top two average points per game. Not sure if the wildcard is the next top points.
blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:57 pm

We can open the discussion on changing it. Last league it was top 2 in points against each other. Top 2 in avg pts/game against each other with the winner playing the wildcard who is the top point getter of those not already in a playoff spot. Not in love with this as i dont think this person should get a first round by
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:10 pm

I like the top two seeds (two top points, two top average points). Wild cards complicate it unless we have a lot of players in the league.
I like this structure for playoffs:
Top points vs Second Average Points
Top Average vs Second Top Points

Winner vs Winner for league champion.

Two rounds, no confusion and on to the next league.
blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:12 pm

Being the wildcard entry into playoffs this time around I totally agree that it is weird for me to have the advantage of a bye through the first round. I mean, I'll take it but I think that if any advantage is to be given it should be to the top seeded person in playoffs rather than the worst player. I guess it is probably designed to even the odds amoung the bottom 3.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:13 pm

Right now its top 2 in points, top 2 points per game, and then a wild card of the top points......all needed to fulfill the minimum 9 games played.

There has to be a better system, If anyone has it, let it be known. Dwayne's format looks good if we want to take out the wildcard.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:45 pm

I think that's a good format. If we ever have a big league again we could do a 6 or 8 person playoff format but as it is we can drop it to 4. I'm even fine if we do it for this league, my win/loss record was not very playoff-worthy. I will be sad to not get to use the sweet list I made to kill some rats but such is life.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. Yesterday at 6:54 pm

I personally do not like the idea that people with lots of points get playoff spots. My main reason for disliking this is I will never play enough games to get one of those spots. For this reason I don't really want to pay money to enter a league where I only have a 2/4 chance of getting a playoff spot. If there are 4 playoff spots I would like all players who play the minimum games required to be equally likely to get any of the spots, playing fewer games while still meeting the minimum requirement should not put you at a disadvantage.

Average points per game is excellent, it seems to me to be the best way to calculate rankings. I would prefer a system where top 4 average points per game were awarded playoff spots. I understand people could try and manipulate this, I don't think our group contains any of these people.

Just my thoughts of course, hopefully some of you agree.
Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson Yesterday at 7:43 pm

we will keep the format we have for these playoffs but this coming league is up for discussion......keep it coming.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 Yesterday at 8:44 pm

I like average points per game.  it makes every game important, no matter how many games you get in.  There needs to be a way that points degrade over time that is fair.  I'll look into it but maybe if you play less than a certain amount of games over X weeks, your point average drops or something  (and vice versa if you play lots you get a bump up).  I did a cursory look on google but can't find any good websites on how to set this up.

Something to encourage constant game playing.
blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr Yesterday at 9:18 pm

I agree that most points can be a bad indicator of player skill. The issue with average is that your games affect your average less as you play more games. Maybe it is rather an average of your top 12 games? 12 being the minimum number of games needed to make playoffs, it encourages you to play more games and doesn't penalize it because once you hit 12 your average can't go down. Maybe keep your worst score in the mix so there is always the danger that you could go down with a crushing loss? Or just go with the average of your last 12 games?
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 Yesterday at 9:20 pm

The other factor is non-league games and how they factor in.
blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr Yesterday at 9:23 pm

Not at all. Everyone should be in the league.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael Yesterday at 10:12 pm

Any thoughts on going back to a ladder system?
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie Yesterday at 10:27 pm

It was brought up (by me) that non-league games count for 5 points, even with a loss, where you may get less than that playing a league player - again, if you lost. Playing 5 games with a guy not in the league gets me a cool 25 points, more if painted - and I lost all 5 games. Smile

Also, even though we try to encourage more games, I think everyone that posts here WANTS to play more games, but some have a lifestyle that prevents that. You can try to promote more games all you want, but that simply wouldn't work with a guy that has 6 kids, a wife and a mistress. It'll just make him frustrated that the 22 year old in the league can play his room mate, brother or boss 6 times a week and walk into top 2 in points. If we need to force a guy to play more games, he shouldn't be in the league to begin with. I honestly don't have the answer, but that's a couple thoughts.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top