Sneak peeks into 9th Age 2.0

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sneak peeks into 9th Age 2.0

Post  squalie on Sat May 20, 2017 11:58 am

I'll try to update as they release more. I've been saying for years the WS should be a bigger factor in combat, looks like that's a big change!

http://www.the-ninth-age.com/blog/index.php?entry/1590-issue-6-2-0-brb-and-wdg-background-rules-spoilers/
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sneak peeks into 9th Age 2.0

Post  The Apothecary on Mon May 22, 2017 4:08 pm

Now they just need to switch to a D10 system and we would be in a very happy place Very Happy
The Apothecary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon May 22, 2017 10:49 pm

The Apothecary wrote:Now they just need to switch to a D10 system and we would be in a very happy place Very Happy

That was actually talked about but abandoned.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Wed May 31, 2017 6:18 pm

squalie wrote:I'll try to update as they release more.  I've been saying for years the WS should be a bigger factor in combat, looks like that's a big change!

This change seems like a HUGE deal. What I mean by this is it will take a re-balancing of the entire game, top to bottom, to make it work. Special rules, points cost, stat lines, all would have to be changed... wouldn't they? I don't see how they could possibly include something like this and have 2.0 ready on time.
Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed May 31, 2017 9:30 pm

Nathan.A. wrote:
squalie wrote:I'll try to update as they release more.  I've been saying for years the WS should be a bigger factor in combat, looks like that's a big change!

This change seems like a HUGE deal. What I mean by this is it will take a re-balancing of the entire game, top to bottom, to make it work. Special rules, points cost, stat lines, all would have to be changed... wouldn't they? I don't see how they could possibly include something like this and have 2.0 ready on time.

I think they have it planned out. Dwarfs get a better defensive WS than offensive and Elves get a better offensive weapons skill than defensive kinda thing. That's a VERY simplified example.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:30 pm

Oh yeah that part seems simple enough, and shouldn't pose a huge problem. But are they also planning on changing the to hit table? That's the change that seems crazy intensive.
Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:56 am

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:32 am

It all makes sense to me. Not sure if it will simplify everything they think it will but one of the big things i read was after 2.0 they plan to leave the rules alone for a few years and focus on revamping the army books
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:42 pm

The changes themselves don't seem that drastic but the potential changes that could result from them are pretty huge. Separating strength from armour piercing is a big one and while the default AP is likely going to follow the same formula (S4=AP(1), S5=AP(2), etc) there's nothing saying they have to follow that formula. While they are "simplifying" things they are doing away with the structured tables that have been in place since I started in this game. Perhaps it will open things up to whole new possibilities or perhaps it'll make things way harder to balance. Time will tell.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:33 pm

Seems like steps in a good direction to me. The biggest thing does appear to be the separation of strength from armour piercing. This is going to be a tough one to do correctly, but I do think it makes the game clearer for new players and allows extra room for balance, but balance that feels more natural and fluid.

To elucidate my point, maybe a great sword offers str +2 and AP+1, because it's a big slashing sword; while a warhammer (just pretend it exists) offers str+1 and AP2 because it's a hammer. This could offer a nice way to differentiate the armies, without adding too much complexity to the mix.

Also I like the offensive defensive weapon skill swap, this has the potential to make the armies play way more like their ethos would suggest. Take orcs for example, no one thinks orcs should be good at defense, but everyone thinks they should be able to swing a big weapon! THis allows armies to play more like the lore would suggest, which I think is awesome.

Excited to see what the next preview shows, hopefully it's the burning alive of that effing parry rule, god I hate that... although with the new ws split it SHOULD be easy AF to redo into something that makes sense, I hope.
Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:12 am

I think Parry will turn into a flat Defensive WS bonus when using hand weapon and shield; If I had to guess, a +2 bonus. Maybe some racial or unit bonuses will improve it for Anvil units. I could see a lot of combos getting changed. Spears+Shield could get a Defensive bonus against charges for example.
blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:19 pm

Yeah something along those lines would make the most sense, wait and see I guess.
Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:18 am

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:16 am

Nothing overly groundbreaking here, looks good.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top