May Jobber?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

May Jobber?

Post  nathanr on Sun May 07, 2017 11:32 pm

I failed 2 months in a row but this month is going to be different! I finally finished up the last 5 longbeards so I have a complete unit of them. I'm also going to paint and base a hold guardian.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: May Jobber?

Post  ScottRadom on Mon May 08, 2017 12:12 pm

That's the spirit! I am continuing on 40K kill teams stuff for Shadow War. I'll get at least three mini's done yo!
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Mon May 15, 2017 12:48 am

I got ahead of things with another Malifaux model, Yamaziko. Something I learned with the cloak and lantern on this model was a technique called sketching. The idea is to zenithal highlight, then reinforce the colour strength by painting black or white in the shadows and highlights. Afterwards, the colour variance is achieved by using only washes and glazes. First model I have tried this way, but I am encouraged to do more.

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon May 15, 2017 8:05 am

That's my favorite fig of yours so far. Hard to explain, but it's very "real" looking. Love the robe!
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon May 15, 2017 8:43 am

I really like this. Nice work. I'd be interested in in-progress shots of this one to better understand the technique.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri May 19, 2017 3:14 pm

Nice work Amigo!!!

Did that guy for a Nurgle Shadow War gang.  Next up this bad boy from scenic Poland!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon May 22, 2017 9:39 pm

I had a Jabron for my Nurgle gang to paint up.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed May 31, 2017 6:21 pm

How's everyone make out? I got a couple done this month. I am going to finish the leader of my Ork Shadow War Warband for June.

What's the score for everyone else?
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed May 31, 2017 9:08 pm

I finished my dwarf longbeards which was my goal. I also assembled all 3 dwarf gold guardians and have them basecoated black in anticipation of getting some 40mm square bases from Don.

June I'm going to assemble and paint a flames of war church and churchyard. The last pieces will be done printing tonight and I can start building June 1!
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed May 31, 2017 9:27 pm

nathanr wrote:I finished my dwarf longbeards which was my goal.  I also assembled all 3 dwarf gold guardians and have them basecoated black in anticipation of getting some 40mm square bases from Don.

June I'm going to assemble and paint a flames of war church and churchyard.  The last pieces will be done printing tonight and I can start building June 1!

I have that Griffon and the bases in a bag in my car. I keep forgetting about them.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:06 pm

Who is still in this? I'm on track to get my church painted and based. I actually already have the church painted and the base is roughed in, just need to add some sand for texture then paint the churchyard wall, ground and add flock and trees and stuff. The whole terrain piece will be 10"x18". I also have 2 other smaller terrain pieces in the works consisting of a house and yard each. I'll try to get those done as well but I'm not committing to those in June. After this I should be about set for FOW terrain and I can get serious about my empire army again. I've pretty much accepted that GW isn't going to rerelease the Teutogen guard so I'm going to rethink my list with flagellants instead.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:06 pm

It looks like maybe a summer break is in order? I'm still going myself on Shadow War Orks.
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:11 pm

Through late May and into June, I have turned my attention to some Scale75 models. As the name suggests, these are 75mm models of steampunk girlies. First time for me doing figures at this scale and it has been both rewarding and frustrating. The size of model means that you can explore a fair bit more with texture and detailing than on 32mm. The downside is, blending is paramount! You cannot get away with hard edge highlights without a few steps of transition between. I have spent many, many hours on flesh blending to incorporate forced shadows and highlight. Unfortunately, that means I am at the point where I am stopping short of the same standard on other parts of the model. I will have it done soon anyway, but I may come back to it after a short hiatus to refine some aspects.
Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:38 pm

big scale stuff is a whole different animal. I am big on the Scale paints, and I have a whack ton of their mini's from the fallen frontiers line (game scale, went overboard on their kickstarter).

How's the cast on their big stuff?
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:20 pm

ScottRadom wrote:big scale stuff is a whole different animal.  I am big on the Scale paints, and I have a whack ton of their mini's from the fallen frontiers line (game scale, went overboard on their kickstarter).

How's the cast on their big stuff?  

I have one that it metal cast, and another done in resin. The metal one has some miniscule pitting and flash to clean up. The shape and fitting is perfectly fine though. Only one spot of putty needed. The resin one is completely flawless though! Precise fitting with virtually no cleanup.
Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:14 pm

Their Game stuff I got was done by prodos I found out. It's the absolute shits!

About blending though... Once you can do it really smooth consistently it's very had to NOT paint that way. I think I got pretty good at blending and it was for sure years of swearing and hard work to get that way. Now, trying to scale it down to a place where I could paint game stuff at speed I just can't do it mentally.

I'm interested to see where your progress leads you to as a painter brother!
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:08 am

Put the finishing touches on my churchyard this morning. The morning sun coming in through the blinds made for a nice picture.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:55 pm

So, this is what i was up to in june. As I said earlier, i petered out a bit on quality after spending hours on skin and leathers. I have a second model already underway, so as I learn I may come back to refine this some more.

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:01 pm

That looks really good. How did you find painting a bigger piece? Was the blending easier or harder with more space to work with?
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top