New Army entry idea

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Army entry idea

Post  Kuyp on Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:29 pm

so i have a question for anyone, how would you go about creating a new army
i had i killer idea for a brand new army and i would really like to see it come to life
i even started creating a list of diffrent core, special, rare, lords and heros; and
some special rules for the army that can for the most part be found in the rule book.

so what should i do ?

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

neew army

Post  Ironwoulf on Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:14 pm

I would say go ahead and post your ideas and get feedback. I have always thought it would be fun to put my imagination to use for the good of mankind.

I had new unit idea's in the past. my favorite was for Dwarves. Take a gyrocopter to transport 5 slayers much like special forces. Who else would be crazy enough to trust that new fangled contraption. The gyro can move 20" is at 1+ to be hit as it is moving slower and lower due to weight. Slayers can march move turn after landing but not charge(like coming on to table).

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Army entry idea

Post  Kuyp on Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:52 pm

Okay sweet. lol i already started coming up with a list of rules and units with there stats and what not. im basing the hole army off the "Aiel" from my favorite series "The wheel of time". ill keep updates of what i have done so far.

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:17 pm

Okay so i think i have what i want my army to be.
i have played a few different games with different results, a solid victory vrs tomb kings, a draw against ogres, and then they got massacred by tomb kings. Laughing
Very Happy i really like to see these different results as it means there not to powerful.
i Know that there's a lot there but i would like to see what you guys think, there might be things that i have yet to put in or change that i still have in mind also. (never mind any Grammar flaws, i don't know proper engerish lol)

The Aiel Tribes

Land eating strides
All units in the Aiel army move with a swiftness never seen before and are able to travel just as fast as most horses can, and for a longer period of time. Because of this speed they can form up in front of there enemies to do maximum damage. All Aiel units are allowed to move and fire or move and reform.
Courageous
All Aiel units carry there honour and value it more than there very lives! This courage means they never panic when troops flee near them, and any unit that flees within 8” of another unit (and is not caught by a pursuing enemy) gets to take a leadership test on there own unmodified leadership to see if they automatically rally.
Gai’shain
The Aiel tribes measure victory in more than one way, they get more honour from capturing there enemies and tuning them in to there own personal servants. Because of this Aiel can make a fleeing unit reroll there dice to see how far they flee.
Skill
The Aiel are some of the most skilled warriors in the entire world. This skill is very apparent in there mastery of many weapons such as spears, knives, bows and even shields.
Any unit of skill can choose to use there shield or second hand weapon as an extra attack. Note if they do so they cannot use them to block an attack.
Insane Skill
Even the weakest of the Aiel is a force to be reckoned with, so there veterans are just best ignored. Units with insane skill can make 2 extra attacks, have a 2+ to there armour save or have one of each.
The Fifth
The Aiel are not a wasteful people they highly value all of the natural resources because in the fold land they are so scarce. If the Car’a’Carn is on the battle field all units stop to collect what they call the fifth from there fallen enemies. The fifth is all the riches and items of value found on the battle field. As long as the Car’a’Carn is still on the battle field, every enemy unit destroyed will give 1 and 1/5* its worth towards victory points rather than just 1* its worth.
People of the Dragon
All clan chiefs after successfully leaving the ancient city or Rhuidean have a golden dragon tattoo appear on one of there arms, this tattoo represents there ruler ship. When looking at this tattoo it almost seems to move causing unease amongst enemies. If a enemy unit wishes to charge one with this mark they must first pass a leadership test, if the test is passed they can make there charge, however if the test fails the charge fails and they only go half there distance. The Car’a’Carn has a dragoon tattooed on each arm, because of this he can make an enemy unit reroll there leadership test.

The Five Powers
The five powers consist of Fire, earth, water, air, and spirit. One who can channel the five powers uses them in different combinations to create things bent on destruction or to better the life of men. For example a fire ball consists of fire and air. There are many different ways to combine the five powers; these are some of those things that are most commonly used.
Fire Ball casts on 5+
Causes D6 strength 4 hits 24” range.
Heal casts on 5 +
Can select any model with more than one wound and automatically regain 1 wound, range of 5” line of sight is not required
Barrier casts on 6+
The caster selects one unit within line of sight to have a 3+ ward save. This save lasts until the next magic phase.
Forked Lightning Casts on 8 +
This spell can be cast on any enemy unit in line of sight of the caster, if cast it causes D6 strength 4 hits. -2 armour save
Gate way casts on 10+
The caster creates a magical portal and goes completely of the table (with a unit if currently with one). The caster then selects a spot it wants to re appear the next movement phase. When repapering roll the scatter dice and move the entire unit 2” in that direction from the spot they repapered (in the case of a miss fire they do not move from where they appeared). The unit can now make its usual movement phase, and can even declare charges!
Earth Eruption cast on 12+
If cast the ground erupts in a ball of fire and stone. The caster selects one unit in line of sight causing 2D6 strength 4 hits. There are no saves of any kind allowed against an attack such as this.

Aiel Treasure Hold
Weapons
Dragon Bow 25 points
Has a range of 36” with strength of 6, counts as magical weapon.
Spear of swiftness Clan chiefs only 40 points
This spear confers a +1S bonus and give the user the always strikes first rule.
Power Wrought weapon 75 points
The user’s weapon remade with the 5 powers, -3 armour saves, and because it is so light give the user always strikes first rule. If the weapon ceases to work or is destroyed, the weapon will work as the normal weapon it was made from. Any bonuses received from the weapon before it is power wrought still work.
Tree killers’ Great sword Car’a’Carn only 100 points
Is a Great weapon with a +3S rather than +2S, with no armour save allowed. Although it is a great weapon the regular penalties for taking a great weapon are discounted. This sword is a symbol representing the crushing force of the Aiel tribes, taken from king Laman’s (Tree killer) dead hands after reducing his nation to a pile of ruins in a short period of time.
Armour
Buckler of pride 25 points
The user can select one model in base contact to lose one attack.
Dawn armour 35 points
Light armour, confers a 4+ armour save rather than a 6+, the model can reroll any failed armour saves
Enchanted
Death Veil 30 points
The death veil causes terror
Avendoraldera Leaf 15 points
One use only. Can use the leaf to regain a wound.
Arcane
Focusing stone 75 points
Adds D6 to any attempt to cast.
Chance Stone One use only 25 points
May reroll all casting dice in the event of a miscast.
Honour Symbol
Note: the same honour symbol cannot be fielded more than once.
Way of the leaf 50 points one use only
With this symbol the unit chooses not to fight, the honour gained allows them to automatically win combat resolution by 4. The opponent may make there attacks as normal first. May not be used against a unit with characters or one of greater unit strength. The enemy unit must pass there leadership with no rerolls allowed.
Second chance symbol 25 points
The unit containing this symbol can reroll failed to wound
Elite Symbol 25 points
This unit counts as double unit strength
Battle hardy symbol 25 points
This unit causes fear due to how many battles they have fought through.

M WS BS S T W I A LD
Dawn runners 6 3 3 3 3 1 4 1 8
Thunder walker 6 4 3 4 3 1 4 1 8
Red Shields 5 4 3 4 4 1 4 1 8
Black eyes 5 4 3 4 4 1 4 1 8
Maiden 5 4 4 4 4 1 4 1 8
Seekers 5 3 4 3 4 1 4 1 8
Brothers of the eagle 5 2 6 3 3 1 3 1 8
Stone Dog 5 5 4 5 4 1 4 1 9
Knife Hands 5 5 4 4 4 1 4 2 9
Night Spears 5 5 3 4 4 2 4 3 9
True Blood 6 5 4 5 4 1 4 2 9
Mountain Dancer 5 5 3 4 5 1 4 2 9
Wise one Apprentice 5 4 3 4 4 2 4 2 9
Clan Chief 5 5 4 5 5 3 4 3 9
Dreamer 3 3 3 4 4 2 4 1 9
Wise One 5 4 3 4 4 3 4 2 10
Car’a’Carn 6 6 4 5 5 4 5 4 10

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:18 pm

More......

Lord
The Car’a’Carn 280 pts / model
The Car’a’Carn is the high chief of all of the clans. He controls all of the clans in battle but doesn’t have the power to rule over another clan chief’s hold. The Car’a’Carn is a special clan chief, he is the only one who manages to survive the full seven days in Rhuidean and come out on the last morning with the rise of the sun. The Car’a’Carn is the only clan chief (and know man) who has the ability to use the five powers. It is considered a great honour to serve the Car’a’Carn, three of the best of the best True blood in all the three fold land will serve the Car’a’Carn till there dying breath and if they fail to protect the Car’a’Carn they will often seek revenge or wander in to the wilderness because the loss of face is too much to bear. If the Car’a’Carn dies roll a D6 to see what they do on a one they will flee and be out of play for the rest of the game. On a 6 they will keep attacking until they die or the unit they are against is destroyed. If the enemy unit is destroyed or flees remove the rest of the unit from play (they can’t pursue). (Keep rolling until a 0ne or a six comes up).
Special rules
Skill, Unbreakable, No Flanks, The Fifth, Dragon tattoo
Weapons + Armour
Hand weapon, Short spears, Heavy armour, Long bow, Shield
Options
-May take a great weapon +10 pts or 2 hand weapons +15 pts or a spear + 20 pts

** Any weapon that is not originally a tool is greatly frowned upon in Aiel society. The Car’a’Carn is the only one who even has access to weapons meant for warfare alone. That Car’a’Carn can choose to take a great weapon which will give him +2 S, however all friendly unit on the table will suffer -1 LD because he is abandoning the traditional ways of the Aiel. If the Car’a’Carn takes a spear he will get +1 A and all units will receive +1 LD. If he takes 2 hand weapons he will get +2 A, but no positive or negative modifiers will be given to his army

** There must always be at least one Clan Chief or Car`a’Carn on the table to act as the armies general. Only one Car’a’Carn is allowed on the table.

Wise One 165 pts / model
Wise ones are the respected elders and advisors for the clan chiefs. A wise one has been trained for years in the five powers; fire, water, air, earth, and sprit. Wise ones have a hierarchy system that is not basses solely on power but there age and wisdom. Unlike apprentices wise ones are allowed to carry more than just knives, but, somewhere in there training they decided that combat is best ignored if at all possible and never carry anything other than there daggers. Aiel are never far from any sort of weapon even if it’s just a small knife!

Special rules
Skill

Weapons + Armour
2 Short Daggers (hand weapon), throwing knives, light armour
Options
May upgrade to a level 4 wizard for 35 pts

Hero
Clan Chief 125 pts / model
Only ones, who have been granted passage to the ancient city of Rhuidean by the wise ones and have survived a journey (less than seven days and nights) there alone with no weapons, armour or even clothes. If successful they will gain much face for them and there clan not to mention will become the new clan chief. A clan chief is only allowed to enter Rhuidean once.
Special rules
Skill, unbreakable, Dragon Tattoo
Weapons + Armour
Spears, Shields, short spears, long bow, light armour

Wise One apprentice 75 pts / model
Wise one apprentice’s have been Granted passage to the ancient city of Rhuidean by the wise ones and having exited the city have completed there initiation and will start training to become a wise one. To become a wise one the apprentice must get a recommendation from several wise ones and then travel back to Rhuidean and exit again, if they do they will be wise ones. They are forbidden to carry anything other than knives
Special rules
Skill
Weapons + Armour
2 Short Daggers (hand weapon), throwing knives, light armour
Options
May upgrade to a level 3 wizard for 35 pts

Dreamer 100 pts / model
Dreamers are special units they have the power to cause mass confusion on the entire battle field. Dreamers always make there move before anything else is done this includes declaring charges. Once every turn a dreamer can do one of there special ability’s as follows.
Battle Cry – Causes all charging Aiel units to cause fear
Insane skill – can pick one unit of skill to be subject to insane skill until the next dreamer phase.
Horn of battle – automatically causes fleeing troops to rally.
Terrify – can select one friendly unit to cause terror until the next dreamer phase
Strengthen – can select one unit to have +1S until the next dreamer phase
Aurora – this aurora is an 8`radius of the dreamer in which any unit trying to charge the dreamer will automatically fail
These cannot be stopped or dispelled in any way. Multiples of dreamer effects have no affect.
Special rules
First to act, cause terror, 3+ ward save
Weapons + Armour
Long Dagger (Hand weapon)

Core Units

Dawn Runners 6 pts / model
As the powerful armies of the different clans charge forward egger to find an opponent worthy of there skill, you usually find the Dawn runners tearing through the enemy ranks before any others. Dawn runners are one of the most common societies and most defiantly the fastest. Like all Aiel they are more than willing to give there lives for there beloved Car’a’Carn.
Unit size 10+
Weapons + Armour
Spears, Shields, short spears, Bows
Options
-May take light armour +1 pts / model
-May upgrade one runner to horn blower +4 pts
-May upgrade one runner to honour bearer +8 pts
-May upgrade one runner to champion +8 pts

Thunder Walkers 10 pts / model
Thunder walkers are the elite of the dawn runners, fast, agile and quite skilled with many weapons.
Unit size 10+
Weapons + Armour
Options
-May upgrade one runner to horn blower +4 pts
-May upgrade one runner to honour bearer +8 pts
-May upgrade one runner to champion +8 pts

Red Shields 8 pts / model
Red shields make up only a small portion of the Aiel army. They often have the duties of keeping the peace all across the three fold land and in each of the many holds.
Unit size 10+
Weapons + Armour
Options
-May take light armour +1 pt / model
-May upgrade one red shield to horn blower +4 pts
-May upgrade one red shield to honour bearer +8 pts
-May upgrade one red shield to champion +8 pts

Black Eyes 10 Pts / model
The black eyes are some of the most arrogant of there skills and positions within each clan. Skilled with any weapon and very tough. They always make sure that maidens and dawn runners know that they are stronger and more skilled than them.
Unit size 10-20
Weapons + Armour
Spears, Shields, short spears, Short bows
Options
-May upgrade one red shield to horn blower +4 pts
-May upgrade one red shield to honour bearer +8 pts
-May upgrade one red shield to champion +8 pts
Special rules
unbreakable

Special Units

Stone Dogs 14 pts / model
Stone dogs are the warriors whose skill doesn’t need to be proclaimed or bragged, it’s simply radiated from them. They often guard the rears or flanks of the army; this is because they are skilled and Fearless.

Special rules
Skill, unbreakable,
Unit size 5-20
Weapons + Armour
Spears, Shields, short spears, Short bows
Options
-May take long bows +2 pts / model
-May upgrade one stone dog to horn blower +7 pts
-May upgrade one stone dog to honour bearer +15 pts
-May upgrade one stone dog to champion +15 pts
-One unit may carry an honour symbol worth 25 pts

Maidens of the spear 12 pts / model
Maidens are some of the most proud warriors on the battle field, and some of the fiercest. Over the years they have proven there worth in many vicious battles. The maidens have gone to extensive lengths to be the most effective in combat and scouting, they have even made there own form of sign language so they can talk and sneak up on there foes.
Special rules
Skill
Unit size 10+
Weapons + Armour
Spears, Shields, short spears, short bows, light armour
Options
-May upgrade bows to long bows +2 pts / model
-May upgrade one maiden to horn blower +5 pts
-May upgrade one maiden to honour bearer + 10 pts
-May upgrade one maiden to champion + 10 pts
-May upgrade unit to skirmishers +25 pts

Knife Hands 14 pts / model
Knife hands aren’t as skilled with spears as the other members of the Aiel; instead they are much more skilled with knives or long daggers. Knife hands are so skilled with knives that they move with a swiftness that would make you think that the knives are just a part of there bodies.

Special rules
skill
Unit size 5-20
Weapons + Armour
2 hand weapons, short spears, Short bows, light armour
Options
-May take long bows +2 pts / model
-May upgrade one knife hand to horn blower +6 pts
-May upgrade one knife hand to honour bearer +12 pts
-May upgrade one knife hand to champion +12 pts

Seekers 12 pts / model
The seekers have a very important job in the Aiel society; they are in charge of making sure the holds are protected and that there are no enemies trying to invade. They also have the most important job in all of the three fold land, to seek out water holes and shade spots.
It is a great honour to be named a seeker. The duties of seeker often require them to stay out in the harsh wilderness for weeks at a time with limited water and not much food, this makes them hardier.

Special rules
Skill, scouts
Unit size 10-20
Weapons + Armour
Options
-May upgrade one seeker to horn blower +5 pts
-May upgrade one seeker to honour bearer +10 pts
-May upgrade one seeker to champion +10 pts

Brothers of the eagle 12 pts / model
Brothers of the eagle are warriors that would rather stay out of close combat then get up close and personal. They make the best archers hands down because of there loose formation and there amazing ability to hit there targets dead on.
Unit size 5+
Weapons + Armour
Long bows, spears, short spears, shields, light armour
Options
-Make trade long bows and shields for Great bows (long bows+1S) at +1 pt/ model
-May upgrade one eagle to horn blower +5 pts
-May upgrade one eagle to honour bearer +10 pts
-May upgrade one eagle to champion + 10 pts
-May upgrade unit to skirmishers +25 pts
Rare

Mountain dancer’s 20 pts / model
Mountain dances often are trying to find something more in life or are just training to become the best, because of this they leave for the mountains for long periods of time and come back with a mean look to them, a deafening silence and some times unbelievable wisdom. No one quite knows what happened to them and no one ever asks. Because of spending so much time in the mountains they move over any terrain with no penalties. During placement you can place them in any impassable terrain any where on the board, they are unviable to the enemy. When you what them to come out of the mountains roll a D6 an on 4+ they will be out placed 1” away from the impassable terrain. If they don’t come out roll a D6 the next turn and on a 3+, then 2+, then they be out automatically. If placed like this they can’t emerge till turn 2 and when emerging they can’t make a movement until the next movement phase. As for there weapons of choice it really doest matter to them, most would just as soon kill you with there hands and feet than with weapons!
Unit size 5-10
Special rules
Mountain climbers, Skill, Out of sight out of mind! Regeneration
Weapons + armour
Doesn’t matter to me any!
Options
-May take spears at +1 pt / model
-May take light armour and shields at +2 pts / model
-May Carry a Honour symbol worth up to 50 pts
-May upgrade one to horn blower +7 pts
-May upgrade one to honour bearer +14 pts
-May upgrade one to champion + 14pts

True Blood 20 pts / model
The most honoured warriors in all the three fold land are the ones that are destined to be rulers or die in the process of becoming a clan chief. Only a few warriors are granted to travel in to the ancient city of Rhuidean and see if they have what it takes to be a clan chief or even the Car’a’Carn.
Special rules
Skill, unbreakable
Unit size 5- 10
Weapons + Armour
Spears, Shields, short spears, long bows, light armour
Options
-may carry a honour symbol worth 50 pts
-May upgrade one to horn blower +7 pts
-May upgrade one to honour barer +14 pts
-May upgrade one to champion + 14 pts

Night Spears 30 pts / model
Night spears are the stealthiest warriors in the entire three fold land. They are the first to leave for battle in hopes that they can end a war before it even begins. They will effectively sneak in to an enemy camp and kill there enemies leaders. Such stealth is rare and not many Aiel actually want to become night spears because they think it is less honourable to kill someone from behind when they aren’t even armed.
Special rules
Skill, unbreakable, Assassins
Unit size 1-3
Weapons + Armour
2 hand weapons, throwing knives, light armour
May carry an honour symbol worth 50 pts

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:25 pm

As test subject for this army I have tried to use my knowledge of other armies to create a balance. This army is based off a series by Robert Jordan called the wheel of time and a lot of rules given to the Aiel are representitive of the book, very well done in research but I am not convinced of some of the stats. The aiel despise riding horses and over time have become skilled in fast moving however when a unit charges in you need to beat a charge of 12 inches and in one game destroyed my magicians and a unit of empire with two detatchments...devastating as I only had a kick as group of knights some lonely gunners and two groups of outriders at the end of turn two. Also some of the weapon strengths and attacks seem too much.. little things that add up to big advantages from a dice rollers position. I would be interesting to get someone elses take on this as I tend to question/deny some of Dominiques rules as too much advantage or maybe I don't like losing so badly

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:32 pm

I like all the back-story and unit descriptions that you have come up with, it is a really interesting read and I am impressed with how much work you've put into this army. I have a few suggestions though:

In my opinion, Warhammer armies tend to have both strengths and weaknesses. For every 1 or 2 positive changes you make you need to have a negative change (this seems to have been left out in the Daemon Army's case) to balance it out. The only problem is that it is hard to find willing opponents to test out your army on since results won't count toward league play and you can't take it to tournaments. That is the main problem with a list like this.

One thing you could do, rather than writing your own rules and making an army that is not recognized, is to find the army that suits your rules the best and then convert models to match your vision. I think you will find people much more willing to play against a "legal" army that is built around a theme than they would to an army that has been invented. If you did this, then you could take the same army and if your opponent was willing to play against your experimental army then use those rules and if they want to play a Games Workshop army you use the GW equivalent of your army.

As you continue to make rules for your army and modify the ones you have already made, try to model them after an existing army so that you can keep it as balanced as possible.

Once I get my Brettonnians put together I'd be more than happy to set them against your Aiel Tribes.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:43 pm

Thanks for the feed back!
its quite hard to put in disadvantages, for example the brothers of the eagle unit can be effective if kept out of combat and upgraded to skirmishers. however even a group of gnoblars could defeat them! this i think would balance them but then a person could play defensive and keep them out of combat for the entire game, and there really not that expensive i think.

That another problem that i seem to have, how many points do i make them worth? i tried to compare them to empire units and then give them a price and raise the price some because other units are just a bit better but too powerful to be worth less, and if i make them less powerful then they have no chance against a stronger unit

any way i appreciate comments and suggestions!
and once you get your army built i would love to try out this army against someone who has been playing for a lot longer than i have.

Ooops! this is supposed to be a post by kuyp, lol Andre forgot to sing out Razz Razz

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:05 am

Go with Nathan's suggestion, make this army wrapped around the book of an existing one. Perhaps Wood Elves?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:24 am

I was thinking about Wood Elves too! They just seem to fit. They have the archers, the skilled infantry (eternal guard), the heavier hitters (treekin), and they all move quickly and have a lot of special rules that you could use to represent their different abilities. They do have cavalry which your army does not, but you could always put infantry on cavalry bases to represent really fast runners! The treeman ancient would work pretty well for your Car'a'carn too.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:04 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top