Grotscon event, Red Deer, April 29-30

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Grotscon event, Red Deer, April 29-30

Post  squalie on Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:48 pm

Hey Lads, figured I'd start a new thread so we can organize.

So, it looks like Carson, Don and Andre are leaving Friday afternoon April 28 for Red Deer to the Grotscon event (5000 points). Probably drive back Sunday night as we won't have to stay for the awards we won't win Very Happy - and we have room for one more lucky player. Let me know right away as I'd like to get us registered and hotel booked.

Side note: just realized I'm taking daughters car to Vancouver the week before and Wife will have my car that weekend as she now works in Regina (Life changes so fast). I'll drive my work truck to Saskatoon, but we have to take something else out of Province - just an FYI.

Who's interested?
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grotscon event, Red Deer, April 29-30

Post  Mhael on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:02 pm

I have the vehicle covered
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:20 pm

Got the ok from work, I'm in!
blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:41 pm

We will need to figure out lodging. I have one room booked at the days inn
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:47 pm

Just was talking to Don. We'll figure it out.
blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:34 pm

Don't forget to pack things for painting competition. There are several categories that could include stuff from a variety of different games. So, before any of you exclaim that you're not good enough to enter a paint competition... you're wrong. Bring something!
Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:53 pm

Here is the list i think i will take. Thoughts?

Dwarf King hw shield. 2x rune of might( +2 s), rune of destruction ( unsaved wounds become d3), rune of iron ( total as 2+), 2x rune of shielding 5+ ward

Thane bsb standard of shielding 5+ ward against shooting for units within 6"

Runesmith gleaming(hard target/distracting), swift striking (+3 init), resilience( -1 to wound)

2x 10 marksmen command shields

25 greybeards command gw

25 deepwatch command

Grudgebuster

6 hold guardians

14 miners gw

2x organ gun rune crafted

Gives me 6 scoring units. 1 solid anvil and hammer. 1 ambush with 2 fast moving units. Some decent unit buffs and enough firepower to take care of things i dont want to come into contact with.
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:52 pm

Any advice I would give you about Dwarfs would certainly be wrong.

How do we send our lists into Grotscon? I can't seem to find a link.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:51 pm

Here is my current list that I'll be sending out tomorrow once Andre posts the email

Prelate with Star Mace, Crown of Autocracy And Blessed Armor (General)
Marshal BSB with Hero's Sword, Black Helm and Cursed Icon
Wizard Master with 4 Divination Spells, Ring of Fire and +6 Ward
Two Artificers with Long Rifles
Two units of 10 crossbows with musicians
Two units of 20 Halberdiers with full command
One unit of State Militia with Pistols and Musician
Two units of 5 Electorial Cav with Musician, Standard and Great Weapons
38 Imperial Guard with great weapons and full command
5 Imperial Rangers
Cannon
Mortar
20 Flagellants
5 Reiters with heavy armor, musician and brace of pistols
Arcane Engine with Foresight (Lightning reflexes)

8 scoring units! +2 AS Chaff and tools to deal with everything. Things that are scary include stomps and monsters. Only 12 inch leadership bubble might be a bit rough too.

blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:14 am

Both lists look solid.

@Dwarf - Is the 5+ Ward vs Shooting banner really worth it? How many points is it?
- I'd just go great weapon on the general and try and beef up his Ward

@ Empire - Is 20 halberds big enough blocks?
- is the 6+ Ward Save on the wizard just because you had extra points or?
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:21 am

If i go gw i have to spend points to give it runes. I would only be able to take 1 more ward save rune...max 3. Stick is 80pts and worth it so my 2 rnf units dont get thinned out
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:24 am

The 6+ ward on the wizard is because I had the spare points and he's generally in with militia so having a little something for protection is good.

20 Halberds is the max size a supporting unit can be. Supporting units are interesting when it comes to charging and combat res if you have a parent unit.

From supporting units:
When a Parent Unit within 6" is successfully charged, or rolls a successful Charge Range roll (against a non-fleeing enemy), the Support Unit may declare a Charge upon the enemy unit which successfully charged the Parent Unit or that is about to be Charged by the Parent Unit. Apply all usual rules under Move Chargers for this out of sequence Charge (such as Line of Sight, Front Arc, must roll Charge Range, max one Wheel, etc...), with the exception that the enemy cannot chose a Charge Reaction other than Hold. If done in a friendly Player Turn, treat this as a normal Multiple Charge. If this is done in the opponent's Player Turn, this Charge Move is performed after all other units have completed their Charge Moves. When calculating Combat Score in a combat where this Support Action was used in the same Player Turn (and both Charges were successful), combine the Rank Bonus of both the Parent Unit and the Support Unit (following all normal restrictions), up to maximum of +6.
blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:31 pm

@ Andre - Makes sense, not the way i would run him but you've been running Dwarves way longer than me and I dont even have them anymore! So i'll take your word. Even with the high AS on those units you think the shooting will hurt them that much? I just havent found shooting that scary. None of those 3d3 ini 10 spinny dwarves this time?

@ Dwayne - Ahhh well the 20 limit makes sense then, you ever use supporting units yet? Seem like they could be super helpful, or just give up alot of combat res. How big is the state militia unit? Ok, obviously i'm not understanding the supporting units yet. Who are they supporting the Greatswords? It doesnt have to be a core unit supporting a core unit? If so then the combat res doesnt matter because those stubborn ass Greatswords arn't going ANYWHERE! haha
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:34 pm

Great swords are the parent unit. State militia is a unit of 10 to give great swords 10 pistol stand and shoot attacks. Net lists tend to run almost all their core as militia with pistols.
blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:49 pm

Sounds like a good list! I'd like a crack at it after the Tourney if it does well Wink your empire always give me trouble haha.

I can see why the meta would be pistol core. Str 4 AP1? Quick to fire?
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:52 pm

I like range 36" crossbows personally
blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:02 pm

squalie wrote:Any advice I would give you about Dwarfs would certainly be wrong.

How do we send our lists into Grotscon?  I can't seem to find a link.

Lists to be sent by Friday evening to Pharlos1@gmail.com
Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:51 pm

So turns out I'm not working this weekend, AND my ogres are painted so i could potentially go to this event. How many people are going to this? Room for one more? If not all good just figured I'd ask
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:16 pm

Guys: Naw Sean. Tons of room in the car. It will only cost this much and we are leaving Saskatoon at this time and your list has to be in by tomorrow.

Sean: Thanks guys ill be there! Appreciate the rapid response Wink
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon May 01, 2017 9:44 am

How'd the tournament go? Saw some pictures on Facebook but that's about it.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Mon May 01, 2017 10:29 am

The tourny was really fun. 14 players for 9th so saskatchewan had good participation numbers. On the whole we did much better than onslaught with Don and Dwayne in contention for best general.

My dice went hot and cold.
Round 1 was a frontline clash against a lizard army with secure the target secondary. We fought to a 14 to 6 end and my opponent got the extra points for a 17-3 win.

Round 2 was refused flank against the rats with secure target secondary. This game was going really fast until we piled up in the middle each continuing to add units in our turns. We ground it out with the dwarfs finally breaking the rats and chasing everything down. At the end my opponent had some 'jezzrails?' On the far end. 17 to 3 win for me plus i got the secondary for a 20 to zero win.

Round 3 i played tomb kings in a frontline withbreakthrough. My dice turned on me badly again and by turn 3 i was boxed into a corner on the verge of being wiped away. My miners finally showed up to help spring my deepwatch. My opponent didnt count on how tough my deepqatch could be and i broke a flank charge from chariots a second flank charge from ushabti bowmen to turn and run through some archers and put a serious hurt on the second ushabti unit. Really hard fought turn around for a 12 to 8 loss plus he got the secondary for a 15 to 5.

Round 4 i played an ogre list with to rock aurochs and a frost mammoth plus two mournfang units. It was a flank encircle with me as attacker and breakthrough. I teally caught my opponent offguard declaring charges everywhere which he opted to flee from...this put him out of position for a few turns which i used to shoot what i could...my organ guns held one third of the table as he was unwilling to come in range. He did battle back but at the bottom of six i cleaned up 900pts but he was able to keep me out of his deployment zone. We split 10 pts each.

Round 5 was counter thrust against vampires with breakthrough. My dice completly left me i failed a leadership test on my deepwatch to flee through my organ gun and hold guardians...my hold guardians then failed to cause a unit of markmen to flee. I did rally but was broken already. I had no units left alive on the table at the bottom of 4. As my opponent extended his hand i said 'its not done' my miners had not arrived yet so he spent 2 turns trying to get back to his side of the table and my miners finally came on bottom of six. I lost 102% of my army for a 20 to 0 loss.

Great experience and really fun opponents yhat i would play any of them again.
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon May 01, 2017 12:53 pm

Dwayne and Don....send me your win/loss and I'll enter the non-league games in.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon May 01, 2017 4:10 pm

Had a great weekend!  Met a bunch of new good players and had 5 fun games and I can say it was one of the best events I've ever been to.  We had to pick best opponent each day and I swear I had a tough time deciding as every opponent was a really cool guy.

Game 1 against Mino and his Ogres full of monsters, Mournfang and great weapons.  We had a huge scrap and by turn 6, there wasn't much left.  He left with a lot of respect for the Ushabti. We finished with me up on points, but I lost 12-8 due to secondary.

Game 2 against Andrew and his VC.  Blew through his Vampires on my way to a 19-1 win.  The only game I ever played where my Ushabti never even saw combat.

Game 3 against Kieran and his Dwarfs.  Again, won on points but lost due to secondary (a theme for me all weekend)  I really, really need to focus on secondary.  Whether we use this a lot in our group or not, it's something to be mindful of when we go to events.  13-7 loss for me.

Sunday game 4 against Keith Autio and his Chaos Warriors.  highlights were, by Necroknights, beating and running down a BSB led unit o4 9 Pestilence Trolls, my Sphinx killing his Daemon Prince and his 5 Crusher unit failing 3! charges, which played a big part of me winning 20-0!  His block of 30 Pestilence Warriors with poison banner and 2 breath weapon spells ate my Ushabti.  I got him down to 5 models. Tough unit.

Game 5 and on top tables against the other TK army (owned by Doug) in the event.  This was the same fellow that ran Beastmen that Nathan R played against. I was in trouble early, when all 3 of his ambushing units showed up same turn (darn) and the pressure was on!  I fought back quite well, but his well placed chaff kept my Ushabti out of combat for most of the game.  His magic played a HUGE roll in the game as he rolled big magic dice and rolling big on spells without miscast.  Nothing to really say as that's Warhammer but by the end, I lost 12-8, also losing secondary so ended up 15-5 loss for me.  Dang, I really have to pay attention to secondary - huge, huge swing.  I'm tempted to play for draws and then get secondary, which I feel is a flaw in the game as it seems to promote caution instead of dice rolling.

recap:
12-8 loss
19-1 win
13-7 loss
20-0 win
15-5 loss

Also, here's the battle points for the event:

Matt Lau - 81
Doug Lamb - 80
Andrew Vardaro - 61
Don Matwe - 59
Kieran Dunleavy - 59
Mino Lussoso - 57
Chris Berti - 49
Carson - 48
Dwayne - 46
Empr Mike - 40
Andre - 38
Keith Autio - 33
Kevin Saurus - 28
Blair Smith - 21

And here's the painting points:

Kieran Dunleavy​​ - 25
Doug Lamb​​ - 25
Don Matwe​​ - 25
Empr Mike​​ - 25
Carson - 25
Mino Lussoso​​ - 23
Matt Lau​​ -23
Kevin Saurus​​ -23
Andrew Vardaro​​ - 19
Keith Autio​​ - 19
Dwayne - 8
Blair Smith​​ -16
Chris Berti​​ - 16
Andre -16

I won best painted and tied for third. I tied in 3rd with Kieran, who beat me so I let him keep the trophy as it seemed the right thing to do! Not a bad event!!  There are some really good players at this event - consistent best generals, so I felt good about how it all played out.

Last edited by squalie on Thu May 04, 2017 1:16 pm; edited 4 times in total
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Mon May 01, 2017 9:23 pm

I had a lot of fun at Grotscon. Here's my games:

Game 1: Vs Vampire Covenant 15-5 loss
The first couple turns were wheeling and moving around a piece of impassable terrain. I was goaded into charging my greatswords into his block of grave guard but due to positioning, ending up way out of position and away from my support. One bad magic phase later and my greatswords started to crumble faster than the grave guard. Ended up tying on objective by moving my knight units around the side for breakthrough. His grave guard made my zone contesting the objective but his skeletons were a hair short.

Game 2: Vs Bretonians Kingdom of Equitaine 20-0 win
The second game was a capture the flag match. We started close and after some lackluster shooting from everything but my reiters, he came in hard smashing a unit of light infantry and halberds and getting his grail knights into my greatswords flank. After the first round of combat, I turned to face and started to go to work chopping them down. Round three his lord on a hippogryph came out of hiding just long enough to be cannon balled back to the lady and a large bus of realm knights joined the grails against my greatswords. The greatswords broke the realm knights (rubber lance!) which couldn't stand the onslaught even with some druidic healing. All that was left was to continue to wear down the grails and some other knights. The game ended with only a half unit of fleeing errant knights left on the board 1/2 an inch from the board edge.

Game 3: Vs Lizards 19-1 win.
My shooting really tore him up killing a character on a monster round one and killing off two stegadons with cannon fire. He was hesitant to move on my great swords which gave me an opportunity to shoot him up before moving in and killing him.

Game 4: vs Undead Dynasties 20-0 Loss
Screaming Skull Catapult got the shot of the tournament. The shot that epics are written of. The catapult hit my greatswords with a partial hit killing two greatswords but forcing a leadership 8 check with BSB reroll. I failed two rolls and ran off the board. My wizard unit panicked, my halberds panicked and everything went jumbled. The game was pretty much over before it started. We continued to play as if the greatswords didn't run off to find greener pastures and the game was fun with my greatswords cutting down a large unit of ushabi. Mostly due to striking at init 5 with hatred and distracting. With my whole army out of position, the UD army was able to out position me and take the board.

Game 5: Vs Empire 18-2 Loss
Awesome game with some of my favorite moments of the tournament! A little shooting match back and forth between our artillery and shooting and a great battle in the middle. Halberds vs Halberds with a champion challenge ending in mutual destruction! My cannon shooting the head off an engineer and then my engineer sniping a second engineer who came up to investigate. Prelate fight with two equally equiped prelates! It was the thing of epic poems!
blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Philbobaggins on Tue May 02, 2017 10:37 am

Hey guys! Love the recaps, and very glad you had a great time. Was very jealous of the guys playing this weekend, and the albertans are still remarking about the Sask skill level.

Hope to get some games in soon!

Philbobaggins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top