Tools, what do you guys use?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tools, what do you guys use?

Post  Kal on Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:16 pm

I have:

Knife - Metal X-Acto scalpel knife that works great. Havent replaced the blade since... i owned the Empire army? I really need to but never can find the right size.

Clippers - oddly enough these work great but they are fish hook remover things i found at Walmart super cheap. They are thin which helps get in on Spruce

File - Does anyone else use a file when they model ? I find it a double edged sword as it smooths the big rough stuff but sometimes can mess up an already smooth part of a mini. I stole this off Brian so no clue where he got it.

Glue - LePage Super Glue Ultra Gel, Canadian Tire 5.99 a tube. Love this stuff, and it turns my fingers into armoured shells !

Anything else you guys use? or Don't use?
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tools, what do you guys use?

Post  Kal on Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:18 pm

Biggest reason for this post was i wanted to know if anyone else uses files or anything to smooth stuff. or knife good enough?
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:00 pm

Kal wrote:Biggest reason for this post was i wanted to know if anyone else uses files or anything to smooth stuff. or knife good enough?

I've never used a file, but I do a lot of other things wrong also.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:16 am

Clippers , hobby knife , various files, green stuff, whatever glue they have at the den when I'm there.

I also have a few other things I use mostly only for greenstuff. These tools have diffrent heads on them , some flat , Dimond shapes, and even just a needle point.

Other then that I have a drill bit I rarely use for pining things, and a hobby saw for conversion work .
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:42 am

I find files essential for metal mini's. I also use 600 grit wet sandpaper and fine steel wool on all my metal mini's.
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:47 am

I have some old clippers and a gyprock knife. I have also been known to use a miracle blade steak knife. The miracle is that I've never cut myself bad enough to require stitches!

I have some files but they are seldom used. I also have a very small drill for pinning stuff but I almost never pin anything.

My setup is very ghetto.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:11 am

No offence Nathan but with your no primer or light set up I half expected "I take the spruce outside and smash em off with a rock and then gnaw the nubs off with my teeth haha!"

I have a file but I honestly am finding its doing more harm than good. Much more control with a knife.

I do need some tools to work with greenstuff. I use toothpicks and a shared off beastman standard as a poker stick lol. I also have a couple drills foe pinning but mostly use the really big drill to set base magnets
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:19 pm

ScottRadom wrote:I find files essential for metal mini's.  I also use 600 grit wet sandpaper and fine steel wool on all my metal mini's.

I HATE Metal mini's like literally every metal fig i've purchased is STILL sitting in a box unbuilt because i have a serious hate on for metal. Those gorgeous goblin characters i got off you, still in the bag you gave them to me in. Metal. YUCKER

Do you find the steel wool / sand paper helps with that alot? What glue does everyone use on metal?

The only way i've got metal figs built is i bribe Brian to build them for me... Very Happy
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:22 pm

OMG ....can i Solder the metal figs together?!?!?! Serious question!

I'm going to try this....
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:41 pm

No you can't fucking solder pewter mini's together. Jesus Christ.

Metal is my preferred type of mini. It holds detail well for casting like resin but not as fragile. I do pin my mini's as well.

If I've got a mold line I file it off, then typically use some sandpaper to reduce the scoring lines from the file. I use the steel wool on the entire mini. This helps smooth out the surface which will usually be at least a little bit rough. Then I wash the mini with dish soap and a toothbrush, and I assemble it afterwards.

For glue I use two kinds. Most typically any old hobby gap filling CA. If the join is really perfect and the two parts meet up perfectly I like a super thin CA. My opinion the Super thin bonds better, but can be tricky to use if there are gaps in the join.

On occasion I use the spray on accelerator if it's a goofy join at an odd angle and I don't feel like holding it together for a couple minutes. That shit is a miracle but I think it makes the bond weaker.
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top