Primer... The good, the bad and the ugly.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Primer... The good, the bad and the ugly.

Post  Kal on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:27 am

So guys, as I hear I'm "stubborn" and a GW fan boy I have exclusively used GW Chaos Black Primer since i started. I love it, but i don't love paying 20$ a can. I have finally run out again so now is the time to talk about it again before i buy another 20$ can lol. So i got three questions:

What do you guys use?

Is there anything that is EXACTLY the same as the GW Primer?

Shut up Sean and just go buy the stuff you like?
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Primer... The good, the bad and the ugly.

Post  squalie on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:34 am

Actually, I used black primer pretty exclusively for many years and I have to admit that GW primer (expensive) really is the best. That stuff coats hella good, you actually have to be careful with it.

I've since gone to white primer, depending on what colour scheme I have in mind, and white takes SO MUCH MORE effort to get a good light coat.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:42 am

First off $20 a can if you like the quality is fine. Don't be a bitch about money.

I don't like the GW stuff as a primer. I think it's fine paint but not a true primer.

For a primer I use Tamiya superfine grey exclusively. It's more money than the GW stuff at around 13 a can for a small can.

I am now after priming with the Tamiya doing a coat of GW black from the bottom of the mini. Then after drying a coat of GW white from the top of the mini. It's a new Technique I'm trying out after subscribing to Ben Komets' patreon videos. It's something I've avoided in the past as I liked painting from a completely opaque basecoat but I'll give it a shot. I've painted a couple mini's so far and it is different.

Anyway primer thoughts... don't be cheap, if you love what you're using stick to it.

How many mini's did you prime for $20?
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:52 am

I've heard the fear of white primer... I think i'm going to stick with black as a crutch for the spaces i miss under arms and stuff. Brian has tried many different primers and i think i have asked you guys multiple different times about primer. GW always comes out as top suggestion and i have never been happy with any of the other stuff i have tried. So i'm going to look at it as "You only prime once" I got an Ogre army and half a Chaos Dwarf army to prime i think spending 20$ on one more can sounds like the way to go...

HEY DON Wink BUDDAY.... So IF you make it to Readers. Cash in hand 100%, maybe grab me some Chaos Black Primer if you dont mind? If you don't want to totally get it and I'm sure i'll be in Saskatoon / Regina soon anyways.

Thanks

@ Scott: Yours came up right after i typed mine. Totally agree with you about being cheap but fuck it I'm unemployed I'm allowed to be a little cheap haha. But I totally expected the general word to be use what i like and GW is good. I've tried grey before and found it hard to tell what was primed and what was bare plastic still. You should take a pic of yours in that between stage of priming that you talked about "I am now after priming with the Tamiya doing a coat of GW black from the bottom of the mini." are you meaning you physically turn the model upside down and prime from the underneath so that the black creates the shadow parts and the other primer from the top so it doesnt make shadows? er um something like that?

For 20$ i primed alot of mini's yes. Pay for quality and get what you expect. I'm in Razz
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:03 am

Yes as you described. The theory is the black is in the shadowed areas and white in the bright areas. Then you paint in not completely opaque base layers so the shading and highlighting has been aided.

I will say that every single person here who's minis I've seen in a purely primed state puts it on WAY to thick. Lightly dust them minus boys!
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:09 am

I have to say i am one of those heavy primers, not anywhere close enough to lose detail. but i definitely use to much
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:05 am

I wear that badge proudly!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:15 pm

It's a shitty badge that you shouldn't wear, you should use it to block your shitty primer jobs from sight! BOOM!
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:52 pm

Ha, I think these guys use fully painted armies to block their primer haha
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:27 pm

I don't prime my minis at all. I just start by brushing on a basecoat of slightly watered down chaos black paint (or grey if I'm feeling really adventurous).
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:22 pm

nathanr wrote:I don't prime my minis at all.  I just start by brushing on a basecoat of slightly watered down chaos black paint (or grey if I'm feeling really adventurous).

Wah?! You don't Prime, you dont use a lamp to paint. JEEZ next we will find out you don't use brushes. Just will the paint onto the minis ! haha

So many different techniques.

@ Scott - Putting that extra effort into your minis is part of what makes yours look so good. And the fact your an awesome painter too obvi. I get that, but priming from different angles is to much work for my table top quality but that is interesting and i might even try that on larger models. Like when i paint that frost stonehorn thing for ogres. I might try white on top, black from the under side. See what happens ... hrm
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:41 pm

Hey I've even used car autobody primer on minis when I was on the farm.......how does that suit you?

Yeah, I'm that talented!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:36 pm

nathanr wrote:I don't prime my minis at all.  I just start by brushing on a basecoat of slightly watered down chaos black paint (or grey if I'm feeling really adventurous).

Jesus fucking Christ.
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:44 pm

Triggered
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:00 pm

I was thinking the same thing. Nathan, do you at least dull coat?
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:04 pm

Here's the primer facts as I know them.  Some may differ in opinion.

Paint does not bond well to Metal, Resin, or especially plastic.  A good primer bonds strongly to the surface of these materials and provides a much better surface for paint to bond rather than the bare material of the mini.  It needn't be thick to accomplish this.

A colored primer helps dictate the tone of the colours applied over top.  Black Primer makes for a darker looking mini and white the opposite.

The GW sprays as far as I know are not really a primer.  They're a spray paint that will help slightly with the paint binding to the mini simply because of the way sprays dry.  I don't think chemically there is anything in the GW sprays that help it adhere to the mini's.

Why prime?  A good primer for a tabletop mini will help the mini's paint job be a little more durable.  Especially in transit.  Even if a mini is protected with a dullcote after if the whole job isn't secured with a good primer shit tends to fly off.  -This was a real issue back in the day before magnetized trays were a big deal. Mini's just going into and out of the foam trays would scratch the shit out of people armies.  I'd see tons fo good looking armies with the corners showing bare metal from lack of good priming.

Here's a plastic mini of mine with the Tamiya grey superfine primer.  The green plastic is still visible and that's OK.  This is the best primer I've used and I've tried most.

Here's the underside of a Nurgle Marine.  It's been primed with the super fine grey, sprayed black from the bottom up then with white from the top.

Here's the top view of the same mini
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:43 pm

The spray looks a little thick Very Happy

best thread in a long time!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:57 pm

Ha, not going to lie I immediately see how big of a difference in contrast just priming like that can make. Like even if you basecoat in the same colour everywhere the black will naturally shadow on the underneath. Very cool, definitely got a couple of figs that this will help with. Like the frost stonehorn and some spectral stuff. Help naturally blend the brighter colours maybe? Bright colours are difficult for me. I don't think it's something id want army wide. I enjoy a nice thick coating of black primer to use as a crutch, 100% coverage

Agreed, good thread.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:25 pm

I also don't strip painted minis before repainting them.

*goes and hides for the remainder of this thread.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:55 pm

Stripping is problematic and not fun. I hate stripping mini's. I go out of my way to not be in that position anymore. If the paint is thin enough I would probably just PRIME over top and have at 'er.

But come on Nathan... no primer... GET WOKE SON!
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:54 pm

I have never done it so why would I start now? I don't dull coat either. My paint jobs seem to hold up ok to gaming and nobody seems to put down the quality of the paint work so I don't really see the point of changing my system. Plus I hate spray-painting. It is smelly and it just seems like such a hassle to set up a good place to do it.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:18 am

I guess if you don't want your results to change you don't have to change the system. Fair point.

Still... SO GOOFY!!!!
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:50 am

Fair point Scott. I have fallen into a rut of easiest way wins with my painting. The only fig I've pushed myself on recently is that avatar of khaine. Maybe I'll give priming a shot, I think I have some of that primer you say is the best. I guess that means that I have primed something but I have no clue what that would be.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:29 am

Your paint jobs speak for themselves Nathan, if what your doing works for you and you enjoy painting that way then don't change. Whenever i try and adopt someones elses style it never works for me. Do what your comfortable with idk my opinion.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:58 pm

Kal wrote:
HEY DON Wink BUDDAY.... So IF you make it to Readers. Cash in hand 100%, maybe grab me some Chaos Black Primer if you dont mind? If you don't want to totally get it and I'm sure i'll be in Saskatoon / Regina soon anyways.

Thanks for grabbing me primer Don! Super appreciate it as it means i can paint this weekend!
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top