Ogres - To Purchase

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ogres - To Purchase

Post  Kal on Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:41 am

So more or less this is what I'm looking into buying. I got 2 Maneaters, 4 Leadbelchers and 4 Mournfang already. Once i buy the Battalion i've had my eye on i will have more 4 Leadbelchers, 6 Bulls, 6 Ironguts. Again this is the rough list i just dont have a ton of experience with Ogres and if this seems viable i'm in (honestly with badass ogres how can it not be viable)

General Fire Belly (this fig is amazing, the fire will be hard for me to paint)
Lvl 4 Pyromancy

BSB Khan (i'm not 100% on who to use as a BSB, open to suggestions)

11 Bulls to put the BSB in

6 Ironguts for the Wizard General to just bunker in, unit to small maybe?

4 Man eaters, ( already got 2 of them, going Pirate and Hunn on the other)

4 leadbelchers

4 leadbelchers

2 Sabertooth Hounds (honestly the figs are gorgeous but if i could find an alternative to run a max unit of 25 of these bastards i would, Just dont feel like buying them 2 at a time for 28$) Chaos warhounds are too small eh?

4 Mournfang (still missing one rider, may have to bite the bullet and buy one on ebay for 10$)

Stonehorn (i have an old beaten up fig but i might just rebuy it)

With items and equipment these figs get up to 4500 points easily. I worry the Ironguts might be to small to be effective... but my goal was to just keep the Wizard safe in them, altho any ogre that isnt fighting is a wasted ogre.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ogres - To Purchase

Post  Carson on Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:29 pm

The 6 are too small, more often than not these will get beaten up.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:19 pm

Carson wrote:The 6 are too small, more often than not these will get beaten up.

Yeah thats what i'm worried about. and with GW they hit last and only a 5+ Armour to hold them... damn Razz back to the drawing board!!!

What is a GOOD size of an Ogre unit? I cant bring enough models to horde them Sad

i wanted to run the bulls 4x3 and then maybe try the Ironguts 3x3? Leadbelchers 2x2?
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:13 pm

No reason to go 3 deep. Think of it this way, would you rather have 9 S6 attacks or +1 combat res?
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:27 pm

nathanr wrote:No reason to go 3 deep.  Think of it this way, would you rather have 9 S6 attacks or +1 combat res?

Good point hrm... very good point. I just feel at such a low ini I'd want to absorb some wounds before i start losing combat effectiveness. Oh and another reason for the extra rank was +1 str to my impact hits.

So Ironguts maybe 4x2? And then Bulls maybe... I'm partial to 4x3 still but only for the numbers. Wider than 4 seems unwieldy. Maybe 5x2 for bulls? Hrm not a terrible idea, might free up some points while remaining punchable units. But ini 2 and 0 means most other stuff is hitting before me.

I appreciate the feedback before i purchase more figs.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:55 pm

Ogres win combat by brute force...wounds. keep this in mind when building your force.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:05 pm

Or drop the stonehorn for the frost mammoth...reduces enemies within 6" by 3 init
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:31 pm

@ Carson - Brute force and wounds it is! Ok, i'll try a redesign at 4500 points tonight.

@ Andre - You know what, i was totally looking at the frost one. its 100 points cheaper. Same defence and tough. same impacts, same friggen wounds. gets two riders instead of one... ends up getting 1 more attack than the stone horn because of that... access to the bound spell and the -3 Initiative aura... No immunity to poison, stubborn or swiftstride but at move 6 it'll out pace most of the ogres ... and both damn riders have a bolt thrower crossbow thing instead of just the 1... wahhh

Ok i dont get it why take the Stonehorn at all? Am i missing something or is this an oversight on the 9th age?

Heh thanks Andre you just saved me 100 points easy lol! I was waiting for the Ogre player to chime in lol.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:49 pm

You often see Ogre units in 3X3, but all the lists I made I ran them 4X2. Characters can change this also.

Stop being an R-tard and go to the 9th website and start asking questions there. There are some good players and good lists there.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:08 pm

Stonehorn is 3d3 impacts frost is d3 impacts
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:23 pm

@ Don - Meh T9A forums are badly organized and i hate net listing. I mean I understand i am asking for advice here but i really dont want to be handed the "best" list, i just wanted some model advice before i purchased. I also hope every list i build isnt seen as power gamey ... But if i find a cool combo i want it to be my own discovery. But i mean i could stop posting here i guess...

@ Andre - Totally missed that first 3 before the d3 Andre, nice catch lol. Gotta stop speed reading rules lol. And the swiftstride helps make sure you get the charge... makes sense. Still see the Frost on as a superior option for 100 points less now that you pointed it out.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:01 pm

@ Don - Meh T9A forums are badly organized and i hate net listing. I mean I understand i am asking for advice here but i really dont want to be handed the "best" list, i just wanted some model advice before i purchased. I also hope every list i build isnt seen as power gamey ... But if i find a cool combo i want it to be my own discovery. But i mean i could stop posting here i guess

Did I say to stop posting here? Did I say you'd find only netlists on the 9A forum? Every list posted on the net is a netlist - even the bad ones, lol. You'll find lists posted by dummies like us (but a lot more) and may get a couple good ideas out of it. How are the forums badly organized? You want tactics about a specific army - go there. you want to chat about your specific army - go there. Pretty simple. You can get opinions from a couple guys here (we'll gladly help), but you could also expand your horizon and get the opinions of dozens to hundreds.

I'm tellin ya', your stubbornness knows no bounds.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:23 am

My stubbornness is legendary Smile

My Ogre list has changed completely... I think i'm dropping Ironguts... i honestly LOVE the models but really hate Great Weapons in the game...
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:11 am

that's a mistake.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:52 am

Carson wrote:that's a mistake.

totally agree.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:55 am

Not using great weapons or not using the models? I just feel everytime i fight a GW unit i'm never afraid as long as i'm hitting 1st.

You think Strength 6 is that big of a game changer eh... i mean if you just roll 6's you can wound ANYTHING haha Wink

Ugh i do really love the models / weapons on the Ironguts... Plus just because i dont like them in 1.3 doesn't mean i wont like em one day. So probably a good idea to have a unit. Good call...

To be fair don i don't think you have any armies that use great weapons.... (elves don't count because they cheat and hit at INI 5 anyways) Ushabti are so king because of their INI 3 lets them hit before alot of scary things. Ini seems king in Warhammer.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:02 pm

I do regret semi not using the Great Weapons on the Mournfang as they look AWESOME.

But they have ini 2 and that is worlds ahead of ini 0. Altho not that mournfang are ever getting stomped .... and the mounts could hit back faster allowing the greatweapons to clean up whats left...

hrm the Ironguts would get Impact Hits... use that to help reduce the number of attacks back... hrm hrm hrm.... Greatweapons that good eh?

Oh but Parry! Parry is such a yummy rule when you are WS 3 .
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:24 pm

no joke sean , in an ogre army your ironguts do all of the heavy lifting, bulls just dont cut it and maneaterss are overpriced . honestly a good ogre should never leave home without his biggest club ..
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:54 pm

Really... That big of a difference eh? I was hoping bulls could pull it through for me. Ok ok two Ogres players and everyone else can't be wrong Wink Ironguts are the funner model to paint and look at anyways. Ima bring da biggest club!
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:13 pm

Ogres do a pretty good job of absorbing damage before they get to swing. It's pretty rare to see an ogre army without GW.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:41 pm

Ok, i keep forgetting they have 3 wounds, Stomps, Impacts, 3 attacks each. i mean they got alot they throw out. Utilize that first.

Thanks guys. Just means if i want to run GW Mournfang i'll have to buy some more haha.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:15 pm

New 5000 point list

i own ALL of this minus the 2 characters and 2 maneaters.... so another 160 $... fml, SELL YOU DAMN DWARVES haha

Shaman General
Pyro

Khan BSB
Lightly equipped, 4+ Regen and hope he lives

9 Tribesmen
Champ, Standard
Iron Fists

9 Tribesmen
Champ, Standard
Iron Fists

4 Merc Veterans (man eaters)
Standard
Brace of Ogre Pistols
Poison Attacks and Accurate (does the poison work with the pistol shots?)

4 Bombardiers (Lead Belchers)

4 Bombardiers (Lead Belchers)

2 Tusker Cavalry
Standard
Iron Fists, Light Armour

2 Tusker Cavalry
Iron Fists, Light Armour

Frost Mamooooth

Slave Giant

5 Scrapling Trappers (chaff)

5 Scrapling Trappers (chaff)

This is it boys, all minus the 4 missing figs is in various stages of being built, primed and painted. Next time you face me on the field of GLORY it will be against a Fully painted OGRE ARMY! Now looking at this i honestly don't know how Ogres win.... i mean i know they DO its just i look at Chaos warriors... ok higher WS... same STR / Tough... same attacks... Warriors have higher ini, higher AS and smaller bases... but if the Ogre survives it gets a stomp? That the great equalizer?
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:18 pm

I would put the Mounted Cav in one unit of 4. 2 of anything is just giving away points.

How are you running the 9 core Ogres?
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:53 pm

squalie wrote:I would put the Mounted Cav in one unit of 4. 2 of anything is just giving away points.

How are you running the 9 core Ogres?

I just thought with so much frontage in the army already id want to split the Cav up to give me more threats, Will definitely try them both ways.

I caved in and listened to your guys suggestions and i'm running the 9 Core ogres 5x2 with a character in each.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:26 pm

Don't listen to these old men Cool you do you Sean. Also I really have to disagree with the frontage being how you have to run them. They're so good they can poon nubs in any formation, FOR REAL!

The way you decide to form them and how many to run depends totally on your battle plan, each are for different reasons and being set to one only will just make you more one dimensional. In this game the more ways you can find to use the same list, the better off you are.

So use them one way, then the other, the another, and blah blah blah.

Oh and get some sabretooth things, they look bad-ass and can be really good.
Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top