My Current Beastmen Project

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My Current Beastmen Project

Post  Luckless Diceman on Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:03 am

Hi Guys
I thought I would post a few pics of the beastmen army I am currently working on so I can hopefully get some good tips from all of you on what I can do different or change etc. Let me know what you think.
First off is a small unit of centigors that I have just completed.

Next is the beastigors I am still working on.

My Doombull (Not based yet as I did him a while back before I started the beasties,)

The current Shaman (from the mordheim warband I have yet to complet)

The idea behind the bases (back to bases) is the beastmen charging out of the edges of a forest. Hopefully it will all come together when the army is completed.
Cheers. Very Happy

Luckless Diceman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My Current Beastmen Project

Post  squalie on Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:43 pm

Great to see another Beastmen player! I love the effort that went into the bases. The biggest complaint about my army is that I don't do enough with the bases. Can't wait to see the "Ambush out of the forest" theme.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:54 pm

Yes awesome work on the bases, army looks great so far. Maybe just personal prefernce but watch that you don't apply to much gloss to the figs, maybe try a matt finish....or it could just be the camera.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luckless Diceman on Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:38 pm

Thanks
I have used ardcoat in the past but lately I have been experimenting with the paint on varnishes and the present stuff is an older gw one just labeled varnish. Maybe it's not matt varnish like I thought. I bought some vellageo varnishes and I will try them next.
Cheers

Luckless Diceman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luckless Diceman on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:27 pm

Ok so here is my first batch of Minotaurs finished just before christmas I tried the vallajeo varnish on this batch Carson. let me know what you think guys. And hope you all have a great christmas where Santa brings you lots of Warhammer goodness. All the best in 2009 as well. Cheers!

Luckless Diceman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:52 pm

Lookin good, This is going to be a sweet army when its all done. What kind of list are you looking at or are you just building up a large collection?

yeah I'd say they look better in the photo's with the varnish you used now.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:35 pm

Looking good! Another picture issue, the size of your pictures is incorrect. I bet you're trying to piost full size (usually 1024 pixels) and the forum will only take 800 or maybe 600 pixels wide. when you're on photoshop, or whatever just pick the resize image feature and voila!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luckless Diceman on Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:53 pm

Thanks gentlemen. I will try to remember to down size it for the next batch Scott, I must admit my piture taking sucks the big one but eventually I will get it ironed out. As for the army, I am just working on a bunch of various beasts that I have picked up. I really like the mino's and I have ten to do but whether I use them all in an army is one thing. I hope to get a 2 or 4 chariots and up to 10 centigors for fast units, I also have the option to field 3 warhounds units of 5 each. I have a fair few beastherds completed from before and I am also working on a 20 strong Beasatigor unit as well as a 15 strong Khorngor unit. Basicaly I am just messing around with the army as a whole with no planned strategy at this time, waiting for the new book next fall. Anyway I hope to try and keep the army coherent and will build it around a warlord and a couple of bray-shaymen. With the Doombull I will have the option of a big Minotaur army as well. It's all just ideas right now but eventually I will have something. Sorry I am rambling as I tend to do. Just got back from Red deer and Christmas that way so it's now time to look into using the new airbrush and compressor my wife bought me. Could be interesting. Hope you all had a good Christmas and look forward to more posts in the New Year.
drunken bom

Luckless Diceman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luckless Diceman on Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:43 pm

Hi all
Haven't been doing alot with these beasties lately but thought I would do a progress report and add a couple of pics. I mentioned to Squalie i had done a little so thought I would post these before we leave for Mexico tomorrow morning. Anyway hope you like them and let me know what you think Don.
Wargor on chariot!

Another chariot

Some more minotaurs (did these a while back but haven't posted them)

And finally a WIP of my Gorthor fig. I'm thinking of making him an Albino albino .

As always any comments are welcome. I sure would of liked to have gone to your upcoming tournament but Mexico called first. Maybe next time or the next Octocon. Until then Cheers for Corona's on the cancuan beaches! drunken
L.

Luckless Diceman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:29 am

hey your going to have a great looking army when your done. I always thought of baseing Gorthor on foot fora wizard if I ever built a beastmen army. Good work, love the bases, really ties it all together.

What are you using for the tree stumps?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ben the kid is back on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 am

looks awsome.

ben the kid is back

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luckless Diceman on Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:56 pm

Sorry lads iv'e been away for a bit. The bases I got from a company down under called back2basics or bases something like that. Thanks for the compliments I hope to eventually have things ready for the new book release and by the sounds of things I have some time. I'm currently working on my Khornegors and hope to have them completed in the near future. I have finished Gorthor and will post pictures later. Thanks again. I might add that I am encouraged by a lot of squalie's beastmen, he really has some good stuff.
Later Very Happy

Luckless Diceman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luckless Diceman on Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:52 am

Ok! Iv'e been back from Mexico for sometime but Haven't done a lot with my beasts but I did finish Gorthor and a chariot as well as my Khornegor's which I have yet to do there movement tray. Want to try and match the bases somehow but I'm not sure if I can make vines with leaves attatched. Any Ideas would help. Anyway here are some updated pictures.

His chariot with an older Lord model.

The Khornegor's which I plan on entering in a online painting competition as well as Gorthor.

As well as an older fig of Gorthor. I'm thinking of using them both as brother shaman's in my army. Could make an interesting story.

That's all for now. Very Happy

Luckless Diceman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:18 am

Love the effort and the Khorngors look pretty cool. That older Gorthor model has the old "Khazrak the one eye" head on it. Looks good.

I actually want to start my Beastmen army over again from scratch. I want to do a dark theme with lots of Blues and Greys and snow covered bases. I see armies like this and love how the bases tie everything together. Keep up the good work!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luckless Diceman on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:04 pm

I have sometimes thought about re-doing one of my existing armies but I don't have the balls to take on a project like that. I always seem to just change armies. Thanks again for your comments. I was wondering if you have any Pestigor's in your beastmen army squalie and if so do you have pictures? I haven't been a big fan of Nurgle themed units but I picked up 15 Pestigors to try. I like the idea of being able to put 2 or 3 types of beastagors in a army. Have you ever done that type of thing before? cyclops

Luckless Diceman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:49 pm

I got eRaped on a unit of 20 pestigors recently! I think the lot went for less then 40 bucks, and then I under charged for shipping! Dammit.

Cool models and really easy to paint up. Favorite part of Nurgle is they're like 40k orks, you can be crap at paint and they'll still look good when done!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luckless Diceman on Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:22 am

Those look great Scott, thanks for the picture I am trying to figure out the color scheme for the infected arms and what not I have started with tenticle pink and I'm thinking of working it up to the pallid flesh or rotting flesh look. Too bad about your ebay raping. 40 bucks is way to cheap for that unit. I have also learned from ebay and the shipping costs. Charges seem to constantly go up in Canada.

Luckless Diceman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:26 am

Thanks DL. For rotting flesh I am way more proud of my plaguebearers, and they can be done FAST. If you like I can give a walk though.

Super easy, though these have washes done with oil paints. It's really easy though!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luckless Diceman on Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:30 pm

That would be great. I really like how yours look and if I can get anywhere near that I will be grateful for the tutorial. Cool I like your plague bearers as well but I thought you sold them on ebay. Anyway I want to keep a little pink tone on the pestigors so it stands out with the pukey green theme. Cheers

Luckless Diceman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:34 pm

I have never used Bestigors of any kind before. I started to collect them for a Slaanesh Shaman bunker, but it never suited my play style so I just traded them off. I've always had a soft spot for Nurgle and almost made a Nurgle Mino army. Play with what ya' like, plain and simple. Don't forget only one unit of Bestigors can be marked and you have to have the same amount of herds. One reason why you don't see many units.

Scott, have we seen those Pestigors before? Those look pretty good.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luckless Diceman on Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:29 pm

Sad Damn I forgot only one bestigor unit could be marked. Is that for the army in general or can you have more than one if it's a bigger army over 2000 points?

Luckless Diceman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:13 pm

I don't think you can ever have another unit. The beast book is in bad shape, really needs an update.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:13 pm

Oh yeah.. the plaguebearer tech.

They were very easy to do, but I used some oil paint thinned down about 8:1 in gum spirits of turpentine for some of the steps.

1-I basecoated my models in the foundation colors. Usually one of the greens like Orkhide, Knarloc skin. SOmetimes the dark grey as a base as well.

2-Wetbrushed them with a lighter foundation paint color. doesn't matter which. The browns, the light greens and grey as well as the flesh colored stuff worked fin. Wetbrushing is jus liek drybrushing but with way more paint on the model. It's about a one minute process per fig. Also the yellow color are great at this stage too.

3- I used Winsor and Newton Lamp Black, Some darker green I can't remember, and a Burnt Sienna each diluted about 8:1 (or more) and I brushed them on as washes seperately and liberally. Why oil paint? The oil on top of the acrylic has less surface tension (apparently) and does a better job of shading the nooks and crannies and won't pool up like the regular acrylic washes. It's a good investment as these techniques are great for weathering. I used them quite a bit in this model below to get the brown depth on the model

you have to leave the models for a day or two to thoroughly dry.

4- I layered with full strength paint on these guys, though I would dilute now. The colors that I used the most were reaper master series dead flesh and another color called bloodless skin I think. But any pale color with a green tint was what I was looking for. Concentrating on the face, bellies, forearms and hands. This again was real quick on each fig, 2 min tops. Nurgle doesn't need smooth blends!

5 - Eyeballs, swords, metals and bases! Done!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luckless Diceman on Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:41 pm

Thanks Scott
I have been using some of the foundation paints for basing as well and some of the GW wash seems to work ok. I don't have any oil base paint but I might have to look into it. I think I will try some of these steps as well and will shoot a picture when the results are completed Smile . On to the army list with the beastigor units, I built a list using the army builder program and I was able to put the pestigor's and khornegor's in the list and it validated it. Surprised So I may have to ask the GW guru's and see what they have to say. Doesn't matter all that much, it will just be a choice between the two if only one is allowed. Anyway I am starting to use the army against my son a bit. I beat him when he used my dwarfs but now he wants a re-match with the ogres i got him a while back. He seems to be the one person who has more unlucky dice rolls than me nust be in his blood. Anyway I will update soon with a couple of wips of the pestigors and maybe you can help me with some advise for the finishing touches. Very Happy

Luckless Diceman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:39 pm

Army builder is a cruel mistress. It's very handy but not completely accurate. It makes for quick numbers crunching so you can play around with lists and not go through 3 erasers! Check for updated files.

You can't have more Bestigor units than herds. Only one Bestigor unit can be marked no matter the size of the army. If your general is marked undivided then you can mix marks freely, or if the general is marked then your units MUST have the SAME mark...or be marked undivided. To mark a character you must have a unit with the same mark. Mino's only have the same mark as the general, or no mark at all--which is pointless.

It'd be cool to play Warhammer with a son. My daughter teases me that boys in her class play Warhammer...dames just don't get it.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:07 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top