Iron Fist

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Iron Fist

Post  Kal on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:50 am

Anyone else watching the new Iron Fist on Netflix? I'm actually enjoying it, Brian described it as Suits meets Daredevil. Definitely not the best one, still think that was actually Daredevil. Anyways random discussion !

*in before Scott thinks its unwatchable garbage haha
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Iron Fist

Post  squalie on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:09 pm

It's unwatchable garbage. The fact you like it proves that. Smile
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:39 pm

I've been watching it.  I don't like it much yet.  The characters are fine but a bit generic and boring.  Definitely not as on-point as daredevil or even Luke Cage.

Edit: It is fine, I've watched much worse things on Netflix but it just doesn't seem to be to the same caliber as the other Marvel offerings. I'll probably stick it out and watch the whole thing though.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:57 pm

And here I thought this was a conversation about Ogres!

I've watched a few episodes and it's ok. It feels like it's struggling to hit it's stride early on. I'll watch it all to see where it goes.
blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:42 pm

I collected Iron Fist comics and was actually one of my faves. The casting is horrible and the fight scenes are goofy. The main character is about as far from a Danny Rand as you get. I sincerely think if anyone actually likes this series, they'll pretty much watch anything.

Peace!
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:02 pm

I love it, its the best thing since apple pie.

Whats Iron fist anyways.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:53 pm

Carson wrote:I love it, its the best thing since apple pie.

Whats Iron fist anyways.

It's the thing you always ask for when I sleep over.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:04 am

squalie wrote:It's unwatchable garbage. The fact you like it proves that. Smile

Ha i was going to guess that you wouldnt like it at first but figured id go with the safe bet lol.

I'm definitely not saying I'm in love with it. Firstly dont love Iron Fist in general as a hero. The first episode honestly took me 2-3 tries to finish and I'm still not past episode 5, dont love it but i dont hate it. The kung fu seems sloppy
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:09 am

So that's why I'm always so sore the next morning.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:57 pm

It sucked. Worse yet it doesn't add to the Defenders. Rand us the same guy as Murdock. Thus was the easiest adaptation s and they ate their own balls.
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:09 pm

I know nearly nothing about Iron Fist. The only exposure I have to him is from Daniel watching Ultimate Spiderman and he's a background character in that show at best. Is he supposed to be an orphaned manchild billionaire?

Who should have been cast and how could it have been better? To me it seems like this guy is a hero that very few people know/care about and that is a pretty shaky foundation to build a TV series on to start.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:26 pm

had you ever heard of Jessica Jones?
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:33 pm

No but I thought that series was done much better and didn't take so damn long to get to the point. I'm most of the way through iron fist and I'm still waiting to see what the point is and who the main bad guy is. The Hand is a lame antagonist because it doesn't have a face. It could be done better is all I'm saying.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:10 pm

my point was only that a hero you've never heard of or cared about doesn't need to be bad.
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:15 pm

I agree with you there, but my point still stands. Starting with an unknown hero means everything else needs to be that much better. If this were Spider-Man they could phone it in.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:38 pm

Your point is total bullshit. Most of the entire world had never really heard much about Iron Man before the first movie. If you put a gun to the head of a random person and said "Name Tony Starks Super hero name or by the eye of agamoto I'll blow your brains out" You'd find out pretty quick what you're made of.

When people do know about the hero in question they tend to get lazy and make really bad movies. Like almost all the spider man movies.

And just to make it extra painful... take all 7 star wars movies and the run time is about the same as Iron fist. 13 x 1hr episodes to really not get us to click with any of the heroes and for sure none of the villains.

If you're familiar with the source material it's worse. This is episodic entertainment by Marvel, the champions of episodic entertainment.

The cliffs notes version of Danny Rand is that he is an orphaned billionaire who's been learning mystical kung fu since he was dropped in the magic mountains. He has no anger issues... he's spent 20 years learning how to meditate and focus. When he returns to America it's more or less to help the downtrodden and learn more about the world. He is technically a billionaire but doesn't really check in at the office too much.

IN FACT he teams up with Luke Cage to form a little duo called Heroes for Hire and they do good deeds and charge small fees to keep their lights on and the rent paid. If I remember it's like 3 years into their team up when they have money problems when Danny tells Luke he can just go get some and buys the building. Something like that.

His character is a great dude to have in the mix. Logan nicknames him fortune cookie as he walks around kinda smiling all the time quoting eastern philosophy. Then on the other side when faced with western capitalistic motivations and such those don't apply to him because he has unlimited resources. He's almost always very warm and kind. He doesn't do pissed because he is good at channeling his entire chi and remaining centered. He has absolutely NO street wisdom and even less cultural reference which made it fun to hang out with Luke Cage. He's always very enthusiastic and looks forward to going on adventures.

It would have been great to have that kind of outlook and persona mixed in with the hardened other three members of the defenders. Instead he's really just Daredevil light.

As for his martial skill he's supposed to be untouchable. Like Bruce lee in Enter the Dragon. No jabroni security guards get to touch him if he doesn't want! He can easily defeat Daredevil or Wolverine in a straight fist fight.

I'm never that worried about people deviating from the source material. I've liked MOST of the changes marvel has made in their screen runs. This one just doesn't make sense, it really added zero to anything ongoing and wasn't in itself entertaing.

For the record I Loved Jessica jones, Daredevil Season 2 was great (First half better than the second), First Season Daredevil was awesome, and I found Luke Cage just meh. First half very strong second half and ending very weak. Iron fist is so far below anything we've seen and I think it was their easiest one to go with.

If he had been sent to deal with the Heroin CLEARLY referencing the serpent from K'un L'un I think all could have been solved. Madame Gao was the only decent part of the series.
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:05 pm

Yes but tell us how you really feel.

I am almost through this season and i didnt know anything about ironfist. The part where random thugs give him issues but he can bust up on madam gao's troops i thought was really off.
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:06 pm

He got cold cocked by the jabroni in the filing room!
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:32 pm

On the plus side season 8 of archer starts soon
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:48 pm

Love me some archer.
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:20 pm

Out of curiosity are there any bad characters people would like to see a series of depicting them as the main character/hero type. I think maybe a Lex Luthor type but i think as close to being 'bad' that i know of...and more just out to do their own thing would be Batman or the Punisher. Both kind of dicks in their own way to hell with the 'good' guys

Last edited by Mhael on Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:50 pm

Lex Luger wasn't a bad guy! He slammed Yokuzuna on the Independence for all America!
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:17 pm

Anyone watch the Defenders? I did, not bad but not great. Iron fist was even more whiny and angsty than he was in the previous season if that's possible. Daredevil/Matt Murdoch was bafflingly standoffish with everyone. I think too many characters, not enough time to develop them. 6.5/10
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:57 pm

I agree on the mark.
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content