9th age league tournament season

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 9th age league tournament season

Post  Nathan.A. on Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:20 pm

Hey guys, I can't believe this but I have the bail on this tourney.

We're doing a much needed kitchen reno this summer and have realized we need to make an Edmonton trip to Ikea to get everything sorted. This weekend is the only one that works.

Really bummed about this, sorry guys.
Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:19 pm

So are we an odd man out now? If the numbers don't work out then I'm good with being out too.

(was going to bail already but didn't want to be the guy who made the numbers odd haha!)
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:22 pm

Kal wrote:So are we an odd man out now? If the numbers don't work out then I'm good with being out too.

(was going to bail already but didn't want to be the guy who made the numbers odd haha!)

So if you bail, then Brian bails by default...
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:24 pm

Nope, its his Birthday and he is super pumped for this. Exact word were "hope it is at the Den because I've only been there once"

6 is a clean number, everyone gets a different opponent. I guarantee Brian will be ready to go Saturday morning
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:40 pm

I have a major teardown to do on thursday and friday at a mine site...4 boiler systems.
We are supposed to finish inventory on saturday. My shop foreman has been out all week with his wife's surgery. My manager didnt listen to me about his furnace and busted waterlines in his house for the 2nd time and has been living in a hotel with his family while trying to deal with insurance and repair/relevelling his house.
The last 2 days we have had corporate safety reviewing our location and doing some training.
Monday i am off to Regina for another big teardown. Only 2 boiler systems but spread out over 4 floors

That being said...maybe if i get my teardown done early enough and can convince the foreman and manager to stay late friday for inventory i can play on Saturday...
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:42 pm

What are the odds this will happen? I'm back in if you guys need another guy to even it out, i just dont want the tourney organizer to not beable to play at his own tourney. Unfair.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:44 pm

So,

I'm going to cancel this tournament. I'll be at the den at 9 for the day to have casual games for those that can make it.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:54 pm

Deal, sounds funner and wont cost $20 AND i won't have to worry about paint.

I'll be there with O&G

Will the Den still open at 9 for us?
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:07 pm

I mean no offence to the effort you put into getting this tourney ready but you all know my stance on granting points for painted armies. I just want to play Warhammer and spending a whole day playing, DEFINITELY IN. Paying $20 to do literally the exact same thing except with a handicap .... no thanks, just saying. But i do understand that this can create headaches when planning so to alleviate future mishaps like this (as i seem to get saltier about the painting points closer to the event and always end up canceling) I will not be signing up for any other events that require painting. Until i am painted. *scratches the broken record*
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:28 pm

Kal wrote:I mean no offence to the effort you put into getting this tourney ready but you all know my stance on granting points for painted armies. I just want to play Warhammer and spending a whole day playing, DEFINITELY IN. Paying $20 to do literally the exact same thing except with a handicap .... no thanks, just saying. But i do understand that this can create headaches when planning so to alleviate future mishaps like this (as i seem to get saltier about the painting points closer to the event and always end up canceling) I will not be signing up for any other events that require painting. Until i am painted. *scratches the broken record*

You were seriously going to bail because you have unpainted figs? You'd bail over 5 points? You think those 5 points would prevent you from winning, and because of that you may as well not enter?

Holy cow. I thought you were over this....
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:15 pm

I mean... did you actually think i was over this? When did i say i was over this? It is 100% the reason.

I had a way longer message typed out but it all feels like I've said it before and I'm sick of being this guy but I won't be over this until A) you guys stop applying points to painted armies (because its not in the fucking rules) or B) i finally paint an army which... i mean yeah i could do that but... no.

Not looking for a fight, BUUUUTTTT. I wouldn't run a tourney and demand every fig be a GW fig or grant +5 points to any army that was fully GW figs. But if i did i also wouldnt get offended when people who couldnt meet that criteria did not wish to attend.

The more senior players have the more painted armies, but they have also been playing longer... thats the advantage you have, experience. I dont feel the odds need to be stacked in your favor any further.

I could totally lose, i crush all opponents and cap out my 60/60 points. i am a badass. Don shows up with fully painted High Elves and crushed all his opponents too but he gets 65/60... BUT WAIT lets say he crushed his first two opponents and went 40/60 and i crushed my first two opponents and went 40/60 and in our last match we knuckle down and fight to the bitter end, tied for points, TIED FOR secondary objectives but WAIT the dust clears at the end of turn 6, we end 10 - 10... wow what a close tournament but wait theres more, tada... Don has applied paint to every surface of his army! (minus a bsb shield, still not dropping this haha). PLUS 5 points and the victor is decided over PAINT! *and the crowd goes wild*

OR WORSE, same scenario but i squeak out a 11-9 victory by chasing his pajama wearing elves off the objective right at the end of turn 6. it ends Sean K 51/60, and don 49/60... how tragic. BUT wait, etc etc + 5 points lalala 54/60 for Don and 51/60 for the Unpainted Sean K

I mean saying those 5 points wont prevent me from winning is like saying the +5 points dont matter at all... which is like saying why bother even having points for painted... which is exactly what i have been saying Very Happy !

I mean Best painted award sure... but with a 6 man tourney we all know who would get that prize 9/10 times
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:29 pm

I get this isnt a popular opinion and its not making me any friends with my broken record speech.

But someone has to stand up for the unpainted masses and scream no more! Or atleast type it very loudly Smile
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:07 am

There are no words Sean... but I'm going to try.

You are wrong and here is why: 1. it is hard to paint an army. People who have accomplished that deserve to be rewarded for it. 2. Painted armies look better on the table and are more fun to play with and against and so there needs to be some incentive to do it. 3. It is the other half of the hobby. I really liked the old award that Carson made up that was based on painting, basing, theme and conversions. Give some credit where it is due.

In your scenarios Don deserves to win the tournament because he has more dedication to the hobby.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:08 am

Completely agree with most of that Nathan. That is why Im saying I was opting out of the tournament, because I do not meet all of the requirements. But as usual I get harrassed about my reasoning, so as I said I will just not sign up anymore, completely my fault for doing so initially and sparking this argument again. But it feels kinda hot and cold. Tournament allows unpainted figs everyone come and play but when you get here you will be treated and scored different based on if your painted. Definitely come play even if your not painted. Buuut your score will reflect that. But definitely come play... Its like fuck throw out the damn 5 points and level the playing field. You want me to suck it up and paint my army or take the 5 point disadvantage but you guys won't suck it up and not take the 5 point advantage and just concede to the fact that not everyone has been playing this long / dedicates themselves to painting as much. 2/3 armies arnt even a year old yet. 1/3 is newer than 3 months!

1. Yes I agree painting is part of the hobby and is hard so should get recognized but I think you guys are mixing the HOBBY and the GAME up, I think these are two different elements now. Or else im seriously just spraying 3 colours on each army and calling them done because I want to game short term hobby long term.

2. Yes I agree they are nicer to play against and see on the table, if this is the case then all future tournaments should be for painted armies ONLY or if you allow non painted armies in future tournaments to bring in new players then you cant be bias towards either painted/unpainted in the scoring of the game play.

3. Don't know what your saying... Now more converted armies get additional points?...

Idk guys then if the general agreement is that the painting/hobby is part of the game and the game is part of the painting/hobby then I am wrong and will totally adjust my thinking accordingly. I see these as separate elements but maybe I'm just in the wrong hobby/game. I could play MTG in the short term and build model cars for the hobby aspect long term. Fuck its super late and i'll probably regret / want to delete this post in the morning but fuck it. "send"

One thing I would like is to hear from the other unpainted fuckers out there. If they are on the painted guys side then I am really all alone. But if they are even a little in agreement with me than id say we got a legit discussion to have. Anyways night biyatches love you all like the brothers I never wanted Very Happy
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:18 am

Fuck it im on a roll now. On this note what about the rest of the "hobby" aspects all you guys talk about is paint. My armies are ALL magnetized. Majority of the bases are numbered for easy ranking and ive built 4+ armies from NIB state. (empire, dwarves, daemons, Ogres, dark Angels all 100% NIB)That is a giant part of the hobby imo, equal to painting atleast. Is this not important at all? This took alot of time that could have been spent painting agreed but I made the effort to make my playing aspects of the game more immediately enjoyable for myself. Nothing is sexier than pulling a fully ranked unit out of a box and having none of the models shift because you have a 10mm rare earth magnet holding your 20mm Skeleton to a metal sheet with the force of A THOUSAND SUNS! Mmm feels good. Hell chaos dwarves I had to hand drill a small hole into the bottom of 100+ resin bases ao I could put a magnet,sooooo much work.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:03 am

Idk guys then if the general agreement is that the painting/hobby is part of the game and the game is part of the painting/hobby then I am wrong and will totally adjust my thinking accordingly. I see these as separate elements but maybe I'm just in the wrong hobby/game. I could play MTG in the short term and build model cars for the hobby aspect long term. Fuck its super late and i'll probably regret / want to delete this post in the morning but fuck it. "send"

Keep thinking this and you're almost there. You ARE wrong, but that doesn't mean you have to be defensive about it. It's actually not about being RIGHT, it's about understanding that a tournament is encompassing the hobby. ANY tournament is where the hobby "elite" (ha) bring their skills and toys, try to have fun, and see who's the best. Or, just hang out and play a few games. A tournament rewards the best player, but there are requirements to even show up. Painting is one of them and attitude is another. Events are filled with people who have no intention of winning, know for a fact they can't paint, and quite frankly - could not care less about both. This is the attitude you should be striving for. Also, I rarely come in first at a tourney (I suck and winning isn't that important to me), so I try for best painted or best sportsman instead. I think I've won almost as many Sportsman as painted, but it's not like I wouldn't show up to a tournament if I had no chance at winning any of those either. Sounds like you might be the guy that participation awards were made for. Very Happy

No one cares in a pick up game whether you're painted, but it sure is nice when someone compliments you about your painting progress, right? Would you admit it feels good to put painted armies/units on the table? Sure it does. And a tournament encourages that environment by insisting that you should at least have the fucking courtesy to your opponent to put some paint on your damn figs. Wink After we're on a level playing field, then let's roll dice and see who pushes their painted figs around the best.

It's super simple and, quite frankly, you're just being stubborn about this (shocker). If you had a painted army, and you have certainly had enough time to do this, this wouldn't even be an issue. And, claiming that you may be in the wrong hobby is just the "take my toys and go home" Sean, which is again, missing the point entirely.

And, to be fair to Carson, 5 points is VERY light for painting points. That's about as close as you get for painting not being a factor at all. I think I'm going to an event in Red Deer in April and the tourney points are 25%/25% Sportsman/painting....think about that. This 5 points being a deciding factor in you not attending a gaming event with friends (and affecting friends) for a game that you love, seems extremely silly.

Just keep painting and come to the events. The first couple you may have a "handicap", but you'd still have fun and then you'll have a painted army eventually. THEN, you can blame not showing up because you may never win Sportsman or best General, lol.

By the way, the same thing could be said for MTG. You certainly wouldn't be allowed to show up to a tourney with a Black Lotus proxy. You have to spend the 5-10K it takes for that card - just to show up. And comparing hobbies is fruitless anyways.

Think about it a bit.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:45 am

I have been playing for over a decade and dont have a single army fully painted...granted my three armies are upwards of 20 000 pts each for no good reason. When i build my list i pull out all my figs build a list and see what counts as painted. If there are units not painted i then decide do i need that unit and get to painting it or change my list for something not quite what i want bc i am too lazy (and know that i am only pointing this finger at myself as i do very little painting).

I completly think that using a non painted army in a TOURNY needs to have some effect either a hobby trophy or i do like the idea of unpainted units encourage hatred by painted armies as a charmistic way of reflecting both aspects of our HOBBY...i would even encourage this rule for league play.
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:06 am

I'm at a point in Warhammer/9th age where I'm going to refuse to use unpainted figs. I have an empire army waiting to go but it won't see action until it is painted. I spent way too many hours planning, building and painting my finished armies to put them on a shelf and use my unfinished new stuff.

Don makes great points and I agree with everything he says. Plus don't you think it's completely ass-backwards that you are unwilling to come up if it is labelled as a "tournament" but you are totally on board when it is league games with the exact same people? I'll let you in on a secret, the painting points per game percentage is way higher for league games than for the tournament.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to games with whoever is at the den. I'll be there all day long.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:07 am

I don't think i have ever had a fully painted army and my figs were painted sub-par at best and I'm pretty sure that has not stopped me from wining a number of tournaments.... we used to have the same or similar conversation before you started playing in fact Sean. There was a time where the divide between players who brought beautiful painted armies and had fun ( or tried) and the players who didn't and just brought a block of cheese. ..pick a side or don't , I'm not sure it matters . Just remember ( or do some research ) the number of people who have done great things or won championships , they didn't do it by giving up because it was not fair or was going to be hard ... ( not talking about warhammer either here)
Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:26 am

Well there we have it then. On the road today for work so can't respond in full. But I will tonight.

So is it a tournament Saturday or just random gaming?

** for the record I only said I wouldn't come if the numbers were odd and it would cause the tournament organizer to not Beable to play. See I was being a nice guy but you guys only focused on the negative *single tear*
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:26 pm

We'll just do casual games tomorrow and I'll rebook the tournament for another day.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:38 pm

Is it because of only having 6 people? Or?... Because I would just go ahead with the tournament everyone seems to want to and if you're just cancelling because of me then please don't. If I don't have a painted army I wouldn't sign up for the rescheduled tournament either. Just letting you know. NOT STARTING A FIGHT!
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:54 pm

I've changed my plans, do will only be there for 1-2 games.

Is the den open at 10 now that there is no event?
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:35 pm

YOU SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE SEAN!?

It's all good, I'm still good for as many games as I can get in.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:42 pm

I did fucking nothing. Seriously, Andre and Nathan A bail and nothing... I bail and its suddenly the Spanish Inquisition up in this joint. I simply do not have fun when playing with a handicap. THE END. Don't worry guys next time I'll just lie and say I have to work / go to ikea Smile

@Nathan R :the only reason I signed up for the league was because I knew I could out point the +3 for painted armies with sheer quantity of games. When limited to a 3 game format I can't just out muscle the points because im limited to 3 games... Get what I mean?
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top