Sean's Chaos Dwarves

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sean's Chaos Dwarves

Post  Kal on Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:02 pm

Before any of you wise guys chimes in again with the whole “Damn another army Sean before you even painted any of the others you own! And never post any pictures”

WELL This army is getting built and painted AND customized (WAY TO MUCH) and based. It is already happening. Anyways due to limited model line up i may need help with conversions... or atleast opinions.

The only issue I am currently having is what to use as a K’Daai Destroyer and how to model/paint my Core dwarves and My special dwarves different.

I realize I’m rambling but this is how I get my ideas. So my ideal dwarf lists are mostly defensive so what I want to do is run 40 HW+S Core Dwarves in a horde. The only issue is they look identical to the horde of 30 HW+S Special dwarves I want to run . TWO ways around this, bit the bullet and run the core dwarves with Great Weapons and modify the hell outta them. OR (and I noticed this yesterday) i have 30 dwarves with axes and the rest of the dwarves have hammers or pick axes… so Special Unit gets axes painted like Hot Pokers all red and burny and the Core dwarfs keep the hammers / pick axes and get painted Leadbelcher? Is this to lazy? should I just go hard with the Great Weapons and never look back?

Lastly a K’daai Destroyer, I have multiple models for this currently… and have yet to decide or start modifying.

1. LOTR Balrog (is a little small)
2. Ogre Stonehorn (isn’t a new model so its rough)
3. Maulerfiend (brand new but to small / mechanical not daemon / fire enough?)
4. Slaughterbrute (umm…. Not as cool as the other 3 options?)
Now I have all 4 of these figs I just need to pull the trigger and make one happen…

Anyways pictures will 100% be coming for this army, because I’m ranking everything from scratch so they will stand well together. OH and numbering the bases… I will also be asking for help with the paint scheme colours once I have everything primed and based! I’m thinking I want to try and use Leadbelcher and Warplock Bronze… but not sure where for what yet….
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sean's Chaos Dwarves

Post  squalie on Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:36 pm

Don't do the Balrog (you have one?) and I've seen the Stonehorn done before - which looked cool. My choice was the Maulerfiend, which is certainly big enough.

Stone Horn for organic or Maulerfiend for mechanical. If you're running an artillery CD army then the Mauler fits better, if you're running infantry then the Stone is probably a better fit.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:50 pm

I was going to say a slaughterbrute with a head swap to something different, maybe the stonehorn? Combine the two into something new and different.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:19 pm

used the beastmen gorgon?

try warplock bronze with a silver drybrush

give one unit glowing weapons....very easy to distinguish for your opponent

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:11 pm

@Don- I am running all foot soldiers. No artillery. So im feeling the stonehorn but will wait till the maulerfiend shows up in the mail to make a decision.

@Nathan- loving the idea but unfortunately I only am using one of these figs for this, the others have potential elsewhere. Otherwise combination would be great

@Carson- hrm... Not sure if the Gorgon would look good on a 100x150 mm base... Same problem as the balrog, I think the stonehorn or maulerfiend are the finalists.
Glowing weapons for sure and screw it I want stark contrast im going to modify 40 dwarves to have greatweapons!

OK im gonna do 3 test figs and post them by Sunday! I have an idea for the bases. Using these resin ones that were for my original dwarves. But with darker grey stone I think... Thanks for the ideas guys! Gonna make this army happen. Nothing but free time!

http://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/18/59/34/59/dsc_0018.jpg
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:53 pm

Not an amazing picture yet, but just the rough finished product of 28 Hobgoblins

Thinking i want to try to make their skins pale yellow, white and pink possibly. Priming them tonight and i will paint a few to see!
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:56 am

those will work great for hobgoblins,

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:35 am

I agree, it is a nicely assembled chaotic hobgobliny unit. Are these guys going on cobblestones as well?
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:29 pm

I don't believe the hobgoblins are going to go on the stone bases. Im feeling they would live in the slave pits outside the chaos dwarf capital type thing. Plus I have a limited number of the custom bases Razz going to have to figure out something for my 50x75mm guys as I only have 2 of those style. And need 6

Colour suggestions for pale sickly yellow ish skin?
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:36 pm

paint them bone coloured and then add a light wash of the yellow wash. You should try to add a few cobblestones here and there, maybe with greenstuff or something to tie them in with the others. Then you could do the same with the bigger bases.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:51 pm

Awesome going to try that skin once the primer dries! And good call on the coble stones, ill see what I can make...hrm...

I will post a picture of a hobgoblin with a completed base... Kind of makes me re think not doing the whole army this way. First coat is drying then will add second coat and wash. Hopefully good by tonight for pictures
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:37 pm

Not amazing pictures yet. But i bought one of those white light booth things so that should help once it arrives.

So the base on the hobgoblin wolf (warg) rider looks alot redder here, but i'm going to wash it brown once it dries and sprinkle some cobblestones if i can and add some dead grass / bushes.

These are 3 Chaos Dwarves that i too the Chaos Warriors Great Weapon Upgrade Kit and cut em off at the wrists and made them lined up. i have 40 of these guys to do so yay!

These are 3 semi complete test colours. already i think i'm going to decide. Left is Lead belcher washed in Carroburg Crimson, nuln oil and gehenna's gold accent. Kind of like this one but am not sold on the red. the middle is the warplock bronze washed in agrax earthshade, drying so i havent dry brushed runefang yet. i like this alot but not 100% yet. the right side is lead belcher washed in agrax earthshade, thinking this one is out, to bland.

Anyways i should have the greatweapons converted and the army put on the resin bases by Sunday! Then i'll prime, decide a colour and actually finish an army... 70% sure this time.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:58 am

I like the middle one or the one on the right. Not as big a fan of the hobgoblins base but as you said there's still work to do on it. It would be fine but there is nothing tying it together with the cobblestone bases.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:30 pm

I actually really like the base as is, add some dead grass and a couple of contrasting color rocks/cobbelstone and it will fit the army nicely

the middle dwarf is the ticket....lightly dry-brush silver or gold on the brass color and you have it made.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:03 pm

Thanks guys! Honestly this army is falling together very nicely so appreciate the feedback it helps me line everything up.

I'm leaning towards the middle guy's warplock bronze with the agrax wash on the leadbelcher like the right guy. so a combination of both. I'm not a fan of the right guys Red's ... any other suggestions? I found the gehennas gold too over powering...

Bases will get dead grass and a the dark grey cobble stones in the back i'm thinking... any suggestions on what materials to use for the random cobble stones?

I almost am rethinking not doing the whole army in the red earth theme... might look more EVIL... i have till 2 pm today to decide because by then i should have the greatweapon dwarves done and this army will be needing to be glued to bases.... What u guys think? Just red earth for hob goblins and the stone bases for the dwarves. or everyone in red earth?
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:42 pm

Definitely the middle guy. Warplock bronze is maybe my all time favourite metal, just looks great.

As far as basing goes I think it would be fine to do them a little different. I'd just make sure that if you go for the stone bases on the dwarfs, just add a little red to tie them together, I don't think it would take much tbh.
Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:38 pm

I agree Nathan. A. I just got my first pot of warplock bronze for this army and im loving it. It even paints on waaaay nicer then other metals.

Ayr rethinking the dark grey bases to be a brown stone perhapse or a light grey washed in agrax earth? Gonna test paint today
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:54 pm

Your cobblestone bases have spots where there are missing stones. Make those areas red earth and you're good.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:43 pm

nathanr wrote:Your cobblestone bases have spots where there are missing stones.  Make those areas red earth and you're good.

Ou good call! I'll try that too

Also i need a 4 man unit filler in a 40 man horde. Thinking of using some of the smoke stacks on the daemon engines and stuff to make a little chaos furnace forge thing. or maybe keep it simple with an anvil?
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:38 pm

Try and make the forge, it'll be worth it.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:28 am

nathanr wrote:Try and make the forge, it'll be worth it.

Agreed! Ok all the great weapon conversions are done! And I just ranked everyone up and glued then to the bases. I will take a picture in the morning then get primed and a base coat on hopefully. The army is battle ready minus the 4 man filler furnace.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:09 pm

Just a couple of quick pics i took last night when i was finished. This is the Horde of 40 great weapon dwarves and the horde of 30 elite Immortals. everything done except the 4 man unit filler. (working on it)

Key here is i numbered every base and everyone ranks up properly, should encourage me to play with this army more as i wont have to fight with ranking them up.

Anyways better pics once i've primed and base coated
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:46 pm

Looking good Sean!
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:05 pm

Hey do you have any of those greatweapons left over.....I needs some.

Looks great Sean

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:55 pm

Thanks guys! The greatweapons actually ranked up easier than the Hw+s guys believe it or not. Haha.

No unfortunately Carson no more axes sorry. I had to buy myself 30 of them because I didn't have any either haha.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top