5000 Wood Elves

View previous topic View next topic Go down

5000 Wood Elves

Post  squalie on Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:53 am

So, I've acquired a pretty large Wood Elf army. Whether I keep it or not remains to be seen. Wink If I did, I wanted something different than my High Elves, so I'm avoiding rank and file, spears, etc. Trying mounted MSU-ish.

I like what I have here, but suggestions are welcome (Nathan R)

Dryad Matriarch (general)
8 Dryads (Matriarch here)
Druid, 3 spells
15 archers, St, Mu (Druid here)
16 archers, St, Mu
5 Heath Riders
5 Heath Riders
8 Blade Dancers
8 Blade Dancers
4 Kestral Knights, shields
Eagle
Eagle
6 Wild Hunstmen, banner
6 Wild Huntsmen, banner
Treefather
Treefather
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5000 Wood Elves

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:27 am

You are going to want a bigger unit of dryads I think. The Dryad matriarch can give the unit hatred or a lethal strike shooting attack so if you want to go that route you might as well make it worth taking otherwise the dryads will be a pretty ineffective speed bump. I think you'll find that a dryad matriarch is not the greatest character available to you although most wood elf characters are fairly mediocre. I think going light on characters is the way to go though, your units are much more effective.

The 2 units of archers are great although I prefer keeping mine in units of 10. There are two camps on this but I'm pretty sure I'm right and here's why: with units of 10 you aren't putting all your eggs in one unarmoured basket. You have more freedom of what to shoot and you are more manouverable seeing as how you can move and shoot without penalty with the black arrows. You also can't volley fire with black arrows so unless you are 8 wide (which is much less manouverable than 5 wide) you are losing shots each turn.

For the rest of the army, I'll just shotgun questions and comments. Are the heath riders ambushing? That is where they are most effective. No scouts at all, strange. The wild huntsmen are awesome. I really want to like kestrel knights but they just haven't performed for me and they cost a lot so I dropped them. What path of magic for your druid? Blade dancers are also great and I used to always take them back in the day but they got pretty bad for a while in 8th edition so I dropped them and the models didn't get repainted when I did the rest of the army so I haven't put them back in. If you do end up keeping the army let me know how they do. I might drop them back in.

I think you'd enjoy the wood elves. You just need to decide if you have time and room in your heart for another elf army.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:36 pm

Actually what I wanted to do was have an Avatar of Nature as my general, just to get the leadership 9 and other Treefather in there. I actually might do that as I was trying to avoid the Dryads as I don't have any. They are all in a pile to be delivered to Nathan R. Smile

I've heard the Kestrals aren't great, but I love the figs. I actually have 32 Blade Dancers, so I have to do SOMETHING with them! Wink I'm not sure I'm ready for another army either - especially Elves. But this list seems cool and different from anything else I own, so we'll see. I can't change anything on horseback or the Dancers as I'm literally maxed out in the Fleet of foot category. I also swear when I say I'm pretty much making a list using the models I have - whether it's competitive or not would be just luck. I have 50 guard I can make into spears or rangers, but that was too much like my High Elves, so they are for sale at the very least.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:16 pm

You'd have to change your list up quite a bit to get the Avatar of Nature in there. One of your treefathers would have to become a treefather ancient with the oaken crown and you'd have to adjust all your other units to make everything fit. You could do it though. Or you could drop one of the treefathers altogether and keep everything else the same.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:07 pm

So this is 4999 points:

Dryad Matriarch, 1 spell, treesinging (running solo)
Druid, 2 spells, treesinging
15 archers, St, Mu (Druid here) Gleaming Icon
16 archers, St, Mu
5 Heath Riders
5 Heath Riders
8 Blade Dancers
8 Blade Dancers
4 Kestral Knights, shields
Eagle
Eagle
6 Wild Hunstmen, banner
6 Wild Huntsmen, banner