All Star Paint Rack!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

All Star Paint Rack!!!

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:48 pm

Not really much of an innovative post here, just wanted to throw something out there...

I've been to a few of the painting nights with a couple of you. What I see is that most everyone is using strictly GW paints as really that's where we all started. A few, mostly those who've tried flames of war, have a spot of Vallejo Model colour thrown in the mix a little bit.

I just wanted to really encourage those who really dig the painting side of the hobby to try some new and interesting colours from some of the other ranges. It's sort of a default mode (it certainly was for me!) that when you're painting warhammer and reading white dwarf it's easy to think only of using the current GW range. The range is solid, no doubt, but using some of the other stuff like Vallejo, P3, army painter, reaper, ScaleColour or whatever can give you some really unique looking mini's. Just by mixing up the paint sets a little.

Another bonus is that most of the other ranges act a little differently. I find the Vallejo Model range to cover really, really well. Meaning one coat or two can provide you with a good sturdy opaque layer of paint that would take much more paint from GW.

My experience is P3 paints don't cover very well, but watered down work extremely well for glazes and washes.

I love the Vallejo Matt Black over the GW one etc...

I didn't have much to say other than this is something I've been meaning to throw out there for months.

Peace out bitches!
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: All Star Paint Rack!!!

Post  squalie on Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:07 pm

Totally agree - and I never used to for the reasons you've stated. Mostly loyalty. The GW paints used to be a lot better - especially the metals, but since they've found even a cheaper source for paint (presumably chained up 8 year olds, instead of 10 year olds) their paint is super crappy...and yet I still buy it. Their washes are pretty good, but even those have changed for the worse. Asureman Blue, was more blue black and now it's replacement Drakenhoff Nightshade, or whatever it is, is more Black blue. You can use the media to make your own, but as the saying goes

"Aint nobody got time fo' that!"

The GW black is a joke compared to P3 and I'd like to try others, the new white dries out suuuuuper fast, even on a wet pallet (figure that out) and congeals. The new metals have much bigger flakes in them and now look like a 1974 era, metal flake van with a shitty version of a Frazetta Frost Giants daughter airbrushed on the side (you know the one). I never think of it when I'm at the Den to try new paints - and Redline Hobby, in Regina, brought in a full line of Vallejo, so I think I'm not only going to expand, but replace. Oh, and it's cheaper than GW in a convenient dropper bottle.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:50 pm

I'm a super fan of Vallejo Model Air metals. They're the range designed for airbrush but super good for brush paint and not too thin either. I use the Scale Colour metals now as I think they're even better but they're mail order only around here and I would understand reluctance to ordering a range of paints in from over seas that are only marginally better.

I think in town here the new Hobby World on quebec carries Vallejo Model air.

I super vouch for Vallejo Model range flat black. Very good!

As Don would super point out I have a few colours I love that get used on every mini just about. Though I am much lighter on the Vallejo Brown Violet (Us tanks for Flames are painted this colour) I still love it.

I miss Devlan mud...
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:35 pm

As Don would super point out I have a few colours I love that get used on every mini just about

.........hee hee.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:39 pm

Honestly I'm not a fan of the dropper like paints, not sure why but they just don't fit my inefficient painting style or something lol. I'm going for semi competent table top quality and i feel the GW line covers that good enough for me. I'm not doing anything fancy like you guys, plus then i get to look on the back of the boxes to see what colours to use Razz wayyy easier than deciding for myself.

Bought the FOW British Paint set for my Canadian's and honestly ended up matching them to their close GW counter part and just using the GW paint. Havent touched the FOW paint since. (and yes i have actually been painting the army. Bases started on infantry, Ram Kangaroo's probably about 50% done. Sherman's in various stages of completion. Pictures by the end of the weekend)

Anyways not a popular opinion with the good painters it seems but the GW works for me, see no reason to change. Consistent supplier, complete colour range and familiar names etc. Just my opinion on the matter.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:40 am

Are you painting right out of the pot?
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:47 am

Yessir Smile again suits my inefficient painting style. If I get a bunch of paint out and water it down, then I have to use all the paint or waste it.

** To be fair, i will water down paint for bigger stuff, like if i'm getting out Ushabti bone and painting 5 skeletons i will grab a giant blob and water it down. But not usually
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:15 am

The way I water down my paint is I take some out of the pot on my brush and put it on the side of my water cup right at the water line. I then rinse my brush and load it up again by pulling small amounts of paint down into the water.

Scott is now crying and needs to take a shower after reading that sentence.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:47 pm

Nathan that is not an unpopular technique.

I can't imagine getting to a place where I look at my work and think nothing could be improved on. But then I play my video games on the easiest setting possible and some of my buddies think that's an embarrassment.

Just saying if you feel like a change in your end results mixing up the paint rack can be fun, provide an easy way to differentiate your minis, and solve frustrations with parts of the paint ranges you might be painting with simply because it's what you've always done.
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:21 pm

I'm not disagreeing with you Scott, mostly I was just giving Sean an option that maybe he hadn't thought of for watering down his paints. I know I should explore other options when it comes to paint, I've need to get some more in order to do this Empire army, maybe I'll have a look and see what I can find in some of the non-GW ranges.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:17 pm

Yeah bit I'm not kidding that your method is pretty popular. I believe you're close to what Ben Komets of painting Buddha and lime 5 time slayer sword winner describes as the loaded brush technique. It can be used quickly to amazing effect!
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:37 pm

Not going to lie I totally haven't heard of thay technique Nathan. Will legit give it a try. But u guys havent seen my embarrassingly bad paint set up.. Maybe we should post a pic of our battle stations?

On the note of trying different blends. I understand Scott and am almost jealous tbh. But as some who knows me I have pretty bad OCD so I just cant do it. If I was unable to replicate a colour id go insane forever... Guys... The first thing I do when I buy a new car is pull the fuse on the power seat adjustment. So NO ONE can adjust my seat ever again. Once its set its perfect for life. Same with paint, colours are set. Hard to explain without sounding completely irrational (but when has that stopped me)
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:59 pm

ScottRadom wrote:Yeah bit I'm not kidding that your method is pretty popular.  I believe you're close to what Ben Komets of painting Buddha and lime 5 time slayer sword winner describes as the loaded brush technique.  It can be used quickly to amazing effect!

Interesting! Who would have guessed that my laziness would help me stumble upon a technique used by an award-winning painter!

Sean, my painting setup is crude at best. Sitting on the couch (reclined) with a tv table, my shoebox full of paints and a red solo cup full of water beside me. No lamp because lamps are for old men and/or professionals. I paid good money for these laser eyes and I'm going to get my money's worth by squinting in the darkness as I paint.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:10 pm

No LAMP?! Are you mad sir??! Seriously?... Impressed, I dont think I could do it. Its a crutch I need but maybe ill try 2 goblins with lamp and 2 without and see what the difference is. Because honestly id love to get rid of the lamp, hurts the face.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top