9th age league Jan-June 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down

9th age league Jan-June 2017

Post  Carson on Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:56 pm

Now that we have an official, stable rules/game set, I thought it would be time to set up a stable league. What we have been running are 6month leagues with no real format and pretty loose playoff formats. I'd like to hammer out a format that we can run that encourages games and makes the league championship something to covet and fight for.

Here is what I was thinking

-2 leagues over the course of a year (winter league Jan-Jun, summer league Jun-Dec)
-leagues will run continuously without stopping for playoffs (those involved in playoffs will only drag out playoffs at the expense of missing out on league points)
-league members can play any army they want during the league but must use the army they signed up with for playoffs and must use a single list throughout the playoffs
-playoffs are determined by (minimum 9 games played) tier 1....top 2 players in points, tier 2......top 2 players in points per game, and tier3.....a wildcard spot of the most games played but not in the playoffs. The winner of tier 2 must the play the tier 3 qualifier************this should make playing loads of games much more rewarding as far as the league goes.
-points are determined by the victory point chart in the rulebook with a bonus of 2 points for a fully painted army. players will not score points if playing the same person more than twice in a row.
-league entry is 20$ for a 6month league (I'll keep track of the fee's as the den can't handle it). those who havn't paid are not eligible for the playoffs
-league winner takes the entire league entry fee pot and has his name inscribed on the league trophy.

I'd like to find an alternate method for determining playoff spots other than the top 2 in points which works. We used to have a ladder but found that no one cared to move on the ladder.

If this is ok with everyone we will then use this as an entry thread for the first winter league (Jan-June)

Thoughts on this?

Last edited by Carson on Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 9th age league Jan-June 2017

Post  nathanr on Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:16 pm

I like it. The playoff/standings thing is hard to figure out because some people play way more than others. That said, I feel kind of guilty making playoffs this time around because I played so few games. I think we have a decent method for determining playoff spots although perhaps we should have more rounds of playoffs. Especially if we aren't waiting to start the next league until playoffs are done. Make the playoffs more of an event and make winning the league a bigger accomplishment than winning 2 games in a row.

I'll sign up with High Elves.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:07 pm

Can we call it Spring League and Fall league? This is coming from a non-sports guy, but I find it odd to call it Summer/Winter considering you can freeze and get a sunburn in both. Smile Sports guys flame away!

A 60-40 or 75-25 split for playoff?

SOME sort of painting promotion. Points per game, bonus money if army completely painted by playoffs? Just spit-balling. If battle points, sportsman and painting points apply in a tourney then we should promote all of those. If guys whine about the painting aspect (looking at you Sean) then those people are missing the point of the gaming community and we should dispose of the bodies in a swamp somewhere...
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:21 pm

both excellent points, lets make it so.

how about playoffs are a best of 3 for each round, 2 points per game for a painted army?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:38 pm

Best of 3 makes upsets much harder and is a super stupid idea. So bad. You're better than that Carson.
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:57 pm

yeah I never thought of that, any other ideas?

also I'll sign up with skaven

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:12 pm

I'm in!

Going to run Empire this round with the goal of painting it up!
blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:25 pm

I think just leaving it a one-and-done in the playoffs is best.

An idea I had was instead of top 2 points top 2 ppg was maybe changing it to something like 4 highest "augmented scores".

An idea for your augmented score would be to set a minimum number of games people are expected to play(say 12, or 2 per month). Your games are then scored as normal, points for painted are added, your points per game(ppg) is calculated, then your "augmented score" is created from this value. This score would simply be your actual ppg score multiplied by the percentage of games you played relative to the minimum required amount.

For example: My average ppg score is 15, but I only played 10 of the 12 required games, my augmented score(or just league score for simplicity) = 15*(10/12) = 12.5, with number of games maxed at 12 (or whatever the min required is set to).

This is simple, and it lets people who couldn't quite get the max number of games in to still be able to make the playoffs, while making it almost impossible for someone with a low number of games to make playoffs.

In terms of getting people to play more games, we could use a system that uses only the 12 BEST scores every league, rather than all scores. This would encourage more play as you would never be scared of dropping your score; it would also eliminate any "free points" people might get from simply playing more games, as extra games don't necessarily mean more points.

P.S. I can volunteer as data collector/ score creator if we opt to use something of this kind in the upcoming league.

P.P.S. I'm way in with Orcs and Goblins this time, Waargh! ... that r in there makes me mad xD
Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:45 pm

I'm in, not sure with what yet.  TK or O&G depends what I decided to focus on painting

IN WITH DA GOBBOS!

Last edited by Kal on Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:39 am

Thoughts on what Nathan A. came up with? I like the idea of the augmented score. The only problem I see is that we want to enable those that just can't play as many games to still have a chance at making the playoffs. The ladder system we had worked for this as it was top 2 spots on the ladder and then top 2 in points.

we need a system that -encourages more game play while still giving those that just can't play a ton of games to make the playoffs. Maybe we just bring back the wild card spot to expand the playoffs?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:07 am

I think the best of 12 score thing works. I think that there should be some kind of cap on playing the same guy over and over though. Maybe only 3 or 4 of those 12 scores can be against the same guy? There could be some sort of secondary prize for the person who plays the most games as well. Maybe 70% of the league fees go to the winner and the other 30 goes to whoever played the most games or got the most total points?
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:37 am

Kinda like where Nathan is going with the 70/30 Split, I think the league has to be taken more seriously. I've given up a playoff spot a number of times because "meh". So i think rewarding whoever played the most or got the most points would be cool. Especially if painting is encouraged.

We shouldnt punish the people playing TOO many games we should be encouraging people to play more not less.

I liked the Ladder but i wanted people to be more ruthless on it. GO for the top, kind of just looked like everyone stayed where they started.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:59 am

I wouldn't mind having a wildcard spot, keeps things interesting and gives any one person a chance to make the playoff's. Would we make it totally random? I wouldn't mind that tbh.

Also we wouldn't have to make the number of games for 100% score 12, it could be 10 or 8, I just thought 2 per month sounded good.
Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:31 pm

I've updated the first post.

Looks Ok?

Remember to use this thread as a league sign-up

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:26 pm

Looks good.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:02 pm

I was thinking the 12 game minimum for playoffs might be too much or am I wrong? I was thinking of 9.......1.5 per month?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:18 pm

Andre Dwarfs
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:39 pm

Whats the policy on changing armies? Smile
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:22 pm

Kal wrote:Whats the policy on changing armies? Smile

Just change it. No one cares. Do it now instead of halfway through the season. I still haven't decided. Smile
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:14 pm

Alright well I'm in 100% with Chaos Dwarves no swapsies now.

Go with the TK
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top