View previous topic View next topic Go down

Regionals Tournament (LWWII)

Post  |marauder| on Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:27 pm

Regionals Tournament (LWWII)
♠ April 22nd & 23rd @ 9am - 1700
* Version 3 rules
$50.00 entry fee
• Venue currently TBA
♥ 1625 Late War point World War II armies  - please e-mail list no later than March 31st (cigamnogard@sasktel.net)

Last edited by |marauder| on Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
|marauder|

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Re: Regionals Tournament (LWWII)

Post  Kal on Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:46 pm

Person: Hey Sean
Sean: Yes Person
Person: Do you have any questions?
Sean: Yes... One as always, do the armies have to be painted?
Person: Jeez Sean you ask that alot, you should just paint your armies.
Sean: Oh wow Person that is a great idea i never thought of that, thanks Smile

Just wanted to get that out of the way before some other genius chimed in with it. and now i will ask... does my army have to be painted Wink
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:13 pm

Just curious about the feedback over V4 coming out in march but using V3 rules for late April? Is that standard?

Sean, if you added up all the time you have spent asking if something needs to be painted - you could have painted an army. Just paint a damn army. Wink
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:47 pm

For me, Flames of war painting is both fast and soul crushingly boring. Especially if you have mostly tanks you have no excuse Sean. I've painted 9 tanks to substantial completion in an evening. Set a goal of a 2 tanks or 4 infantry teams each day and you'll have a painted army within a couple weeks. The beauty of FOW is that they don't have to be masterpieces. If they are close to the correct colour nobody will care and we'll quit hassling you.

And back on topic, Lance you should look around at community halls, churches, etc. for a venue. Surely there is something out there that would give a little more space than Tramps and be not too expensive. Nobody is asking or expecting you to be out of pocket to get a good venue though. I had no idea you ended up out that much last year. I would have gladly pitched in some more money had I known that and I bet others would have as well.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:57 pm

Kal wrote:Person: Hey Sean
Sean: Yes Person
Person: Do you have any questions?
Sean: Yes... One as always, do the armies have to be painted?
Person: Jeez Sean you ask that alot, you should just paint your armies.
Sean: Oh wow Person that is a great idea i never thought of that, thanks Smile

Just wanted to get that out of the way before some other genius chimed in with it. and now i will ask... does my army have to be painted Wink
Yes and platoons must be identifiable to you and most importantly your opponent.
|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:00 pm

squalie wrote:Just curious about the feedback over V4 coming out in march but using V3 rules for late April? Is that standard?

Sean, if you added up all the time you have spent asking if something needs to be painted - you could have painted an army. Just paint a damn army. Wink
What if the new rulebook arrives late say early April = you now have three weeks to read and play with the rules. Is that fair? Are you ready to go to a Regional tournament with that? Some may say "yes" but others may say "no"
Now, what if it arrives mid to late April?
|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:07 pm

I say wait until late May to hold the tournament, then we can play with the new rules AND more importantly I can come Wink .

Seriously though, stick with the original plan. V3 and April 22/23.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:15 pm

nathanr wrote:For me, Flames of war painting is both fast and soul crushingly boring.  Especially if you have mostly tanks you have no excuse Sean.  I've painted 9 tanks to substantial completion in an evening.  Set a goal of a 2 tanks or 4 infantry teams each day and you'll have a painted army within a couple weeks.  The beauty of FOW is that they don't have to be masterpieces.  If they are close to the correct colour nobody will care and we'll quit hassling you.
Agreed they don't have to be amazing - they don't; but yes they have to be painted.
nathanr wrote:
And back on topic, Lance you should look around at community halls, churches, etc. for a venue.  Surely there is something out there that would give a little more space than Tramps and be not too expensive.  Nobody is asking or expecting you to be out of pocket to get a good venue though.  I had no idea you ended up out that much last year.  I would have gladly pitched in some more money had I known that and I bet others would have as well.
A few extra guys pitched in a few extra bucks and the 50/50 also helped but yes:
30 guys x $50.00 = $1500
Hotel room = Free (just had to pay food)
+ food = $2,200 there abouts + tax
+ T shirts = $350 there abouts + tax
I was out $400+ backs in the end

Now, yes I have looked into:
Community Halls - not both days available
Churches - busy on Sunday (go figure)

That being said:
I have e-mailed the Hilton again; and I am making clear demands if it is available
Tramp's is not even a for sure thing -> waiting to hear back from them also
|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:36 pm

nathanr wrote:For me, Flames of war painting is both fast and soul crushingly boring.  Especially if you have mostly tanks you have no excuse Sean.  I've painted 9 tanks to substantial completion in an evening.  Set a goal of a 2 tanks or 4 infantry teams each day and you'll have a painted army within a couple weeks.  The beauty of FOW is that they don't have to be masterpieces.  If they are close to the correct colour nobody will care and we'll quit hassling you.

And back on topic, Lance you should look around at community halls, churches, etc. for a venue.  Surely there is something out there that would give a little more space than Tramps and be not too expensive.  Nobody is asking or expecting you to be out of pocket to get a good venue though.  I had no idea you ended up out that much last year.  I would have gladly pitched in some more money had I known that and I bet others would have as well.

Spray paint green, wash black. DONE - fuck it not joking I'll just throw paint on plastic and be done by Saturday. Guess quantity is more important than quality Very Happy
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:08 pm

Let me tell you a story about Allied tanks & paint.
When I was in Ottawa I visited the Canadian War Museum - I was with two other Flames of War gentlemen (from USA).
I saw a gorgeous Stuart V tank - about the size of a Minivan. I walked around to the back of the tank and said, "shit!"
The first American looked at me walked around the back of the tank and echoed my comment with "shit!"
The second yank looked at us both walked around the back of the tank and said "well...shit!"
Most players own Stuarts and we all take the time to paint the shovels and other kit that are stowed on the back of tanks - there on the back of the Stuart V was a shovel, bolt cutters, wrench, and other kit -> all painted the same colour as the tank.
True story.

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:17 pm

hahaha
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:13 pm