Colleges of Magic

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Colleges of Magic

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:41 pm

Allright the title doesn't have much to do with the post. I was just thinking we could stir up some conversation about magic. What spells do people like and fear the most?

The worst spell, the one I hate, might actually not be around anymore. It was that stupid Slaanesh spell that made you move to a target on the battlefield, which usually meant turning your flank to some lame ass Chaos Kinghts and getting killed. It was just TOO powerful for me.

The one I love casting the most is the Little Waagh spell "Gork'll fix it"... I thin that's what it is... It turns an enemies dice rolls of 6's into 1's for a turn. Take that Wizards! How great is that when 16% more of the rolls to hit, wound, armor saves, wards saves, all fail? I just love the hell out of it! And it can be cast into combat too! If I recall...

Anyone else?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Colleges of Magic

Post  nathanr on Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:27 pm

The one I always feared with my dwarfs was the rain lord. I haven't come up against it since the spells were revised so I don't know if it got better or worse but it really hurt the dwarf shooting phase!

With the wood elves, the level 1 Tzeentch spell is pretty mean against treemen and treekin if your opponent is good at rolling 5's and 6's. and pretty much any S4+ damage spell sucks against the T3 skirmishing elves!

My cousin plays Skaven and he is in love with the plague spell, it can be pretty devastating but it is too unpredictable for my tastes. I personally like the Beast Cowers, especially against my brother's Brettonians and of course treesing is good too.

I know it isn't technically a spell, but the movement rune on the anvil of doom is always fun too. Up to 3 units of dwarfs charging with great weapons!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:02 am

I have always hated the comet of cassandora spell....just too game ending for my tastes. I don't know how many times it made the game irrelevant on turn 6 once it finally came down.

The spell I loved to cast as a dark elf player was word of pain. Making my opponent ws1 and bs1 was awesome, plus being able to cast it into combat was quite handy.
A close second would be good old second sign for that crucial break/panic test.

Alot of talk on the net has been geared towards magic. Consensus out there is that magic is again dominating the game. From a Saskatoon persepctive I can't agree. It has always been manageable to some degree, although seeing some of the lists that people are bringing to tournaments defy believe.

Awhile back Rob from moosejaw asked us for our OctoCon lists to find out what they rated on the Auzzie scale. Any word on that?

thoughts?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:57 am

I don't know if my magic tactics are wrong for team ogre but I despise my army b/c they are weak. O and G Gork'll fix it helped to keep my units weak at crunch time against Scott. Also at the six on six game I was up against a lizard army with the Cassandra spell which took a pretty good toll. I like the extra movement phase some armies have, it means planning stages of attacks/defenses.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

magic

Post  Ironwoulf on Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:08 pm

I tend to use magic to support my battle plan as opposed to being the plan. Fury of Khaine is one i hate as it works well against any army. The Comet of Cassadora - can be devastating so I either disspell it or get the hell away. I believe that the Ogres have a spell making the unit unbreakable or something similar, that is a good spell to tie up the enemy while you flank them.

I think Tzeenctch magic is over powerful having been on the recieving end too many times to want to remeber.

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord_Stash on Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:11 pm

Scott that Slaanesh spell is back in the new mortal book Razz

My favourite spell has to be the Howler Wind. It is great against shooting and charging units. It got nerfed though in the new rules.

Lord_Stash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:39 pm

Off the top of my head, these are the spells that I love and/or hate depending on whether I am giving or receiving - these are the spells that, to me, make it worthwhile to roll on the table, and they're the ones that I think about when I decide whether I want Wizards or not:

Phantasmagoria
#6 on the Daemon Lore of Slaanesh, cast on a 10+. For one full turn it forces the entire enemy army to roll an extra D6 on all Ld tests and discard the lowest result. Absolutely game-winning and not too difficult to cast, but unfortunately the only model in the list that has a reasonable chance of casting even a relatively low casting value of 10 is a 650+ point Keeper of Secrets...

Pandaemonium
#3 on the Mortal Lore of Tzeentch, cast on an 8+. For one full turn the entire enemy army can not use the leadership of characters and all enemy Wizards miscast on any doubles. Either of those effects would make it a good spell, with both, it's amazing.

Infernal Gateway
#6 on the Mortal Lore of Tzeentch, cast on a !15+! It's not a Magic Missile and it inflicts 2D6 hits at a Strength of 2D6. That's pretty good, but probably not really worth the chance to miscast that comes with a 15+ casting value. What saves the spell is that it has the horrifying ability to completely destroy the target unit if an 11 or 12 is rolled for the Strength of the hits. Yes, it's random and destructive and can sway the game in egregious ways, but so can a cannon taking out your general on turn 1 and I believe that has a higher chance of occurring.

Power of Darkness
Extra spell for Dark Elf Sorceresses, cast on a 4+. This spell gives the sorceress who casts it D3+1 extra power dice. Sure these extra dice inflict a S4 hit on the Sorceress if they are unused at the end of the phase, but they can spend as many dice they want on a spell attempt. Although I've played a bunch of games against the new Dark Elves, I have yet to see anyone cast this spell. If I had it, it would be first on my list every phase.

Vanhel's Dance Macabre
#2 on the Vampire list, cast on a 7+. Can be cast in or out of combat. Cast out of combat it lets the unit move 8" and allows a charge (of 8"). Cast into combat it grants the unit Always Strikes First and lets them re-roll misses for that combat phase. The low casting cost and the ability to spam this Necromancy spell makes it devastating and really puts Tomb Kings to shame.

Gork'll Fix It
#3 on the Little Waaagh!, cast on an 8+. Can be cast into combat and any of the target unit's rolls to hit, to wound, for armour or ward saves or for casting spells for the next turn count as 1's instead. Aaaabsolutely badass. Better effect by far than Pandaemonium, but it only affects a single unit.

WAAAGH!
#6 on the Big Waaagh!, cast on a 12+. The big bad daddy of magic movement spells, moves every friendly unit 2d6" towards the nearest enemy unit, or straight forward - including war machine crew and fanatics and giants and chariots etc., etc.. This one can win games every single time it is cast.

Plague
#6 on the Skaven Lore, cast on a 13+. Pick a unit (friend or foe, which can be in close combat) with 18" and every model takes a T test and if they fail suffers a wound with no saves (if they are in combat, then everyone in the combat tests. Then roll a D6, on 1-2 your enemy picks a unit within 6" of any unit affected this magic phase, on a 3-4 the spell ends, on a 5-6 the caster picks another unit within 6" of any unit affected this phase. I have seen this spell completel lay waste to both armies in a single magic phase.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ben the kid is back on Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:19 pm

i like magic missles and the high elf flames of the phnix spell

ben the kid is back

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Dean on Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:29 pm

WAAAGH! also makes all friendly units strike first AND reroll misses in the next round of combat! Great spell but haven't been able to get it off yet in the 1000 point games I have been playing.

Matt Dean

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:44 pm

At the Octocon in Calgary, my opponent got WAAAGH! of in turn 2. Game was practically over by turn 3. Brutal spell.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:08 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top